post #91 of 383 Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

The manual says it will do 3D with these options to choose from:

Auto: Automatically adjust by information from player.
Frame Packing: Process the input image as frame packing format.
Top Down: Process the input image as Top down format.
Side by Side: Process the input image as Side by Side format.

So, doesn't Directv 3D use Side by Side? If so, sounds like it should work for Directv 3D.

Mike

Great, pretty much covers everything. Now just gotta see whether the 3d colorboost gives us a more dynamic picture in 3D mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 383 Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
rjyap -- In order to use the Nvidia 3D glasses, you also need the Nvidia Emitter (to provide the synchronization drive signal to the glasses). DLP-Link glasses use a "White-Flash" video signal for synchronization, so no emitter is needed. The "White-Flash" is visually blocked by their glasses.

jrwhite & Others -- The problem with DirecTV is that most of their 3D sports programming is done by ESPN, which uses 720p cameras. The 720p SBS 3D format is not supported (not part of the HDMI 1.4 spec). This is the problem that is plaguing the JVC owners.

While the DirecTV 1080i SBS 3D will work fine, the 720p SBS 3D may not. Apparently ESPN provides both the 720p SBS and the 720p frame-packed versions to DirecTV, they have chosen to transmit the "unsupported" 720p SBS version.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #93 of 383 Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

jrwhite & Others -- The problem with DirecTV is that most of their 3D sports programming is done by ESPN, which uses 720p cameras. The 720p SBS 3D format is not supported (not part of the HDMI 1.4 spec). This is the problem that is plaguing the JVC owners.

While the DirecTV 1080i SBS 3D will work fine, the 720p SBS 3D may not. Apparently ESPN provides both the 720p SBS and the 720p frame-packed versions to DirecTV, they have chosen to transmit the "unsupported" 720p SBS version.

Thanks for clearing that up. So to get all of the 3D Directv channels to work it sounds like you might have to purchase either the Optoma 3DXL or the VIP 3D Theatre provided these extra boxes work by supporting all the different formats and then the projector of your choice. Does that sound like best option?

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #94 of 383 Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

rjyap -- In order to use the Nvidia 3D glasses, you also need the Nvidia Emitter (to provide the synchronization drive signal to the glasses). DLP-Link glasses use a "White-Flash" video signal for synchronization, so no emitter is needed. The "White-Flash" is visually blocked by their glasses.

CT: Trying to follow the 1.4. I have an Anthem Mrx-300 and my 5360 no
longer will playback 3D. So your saying I will be able to keep the Nvidia
setup with the new projector? Or do you think we might be able to use a EIDE hack to trick the 1.4 receiver into thinking the 5360 is 1.4?

FOR SALE/TRADE: Sony VPL-W200/ less than 220 hours on projector
comes with new spare bulb. $1800.00
post #95 of 383 Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
steadihd -- Thank you for posting the link to the H5360BD manual. The link provided in an earlier post gave the link to the H5360, not the H5360BD. I scanned the H5360BD manual and it looks identical to the H5360 -- ie. no added information regarding the new features in the "BD" version.

mbw23air -- AFIK, we can view most DirecTV 3D video, since it is 1080i, SBS. The only time we can have problems is with their broadcast of sports programs provided by the ESPN sources. Those are sent out as 720p, SBS, which is a "non-mandatory" format.

For those programs, something like the Optoma 3D-XL (or equivalent) will be required. For those, there is no advantage in spending the extra money for the H5360BD. If we have to buy the 3D-XL, or similar, box, then the cheaper H5360 will work just as well.

This is my understanding, as of the information currently available.

greg1292 -- The Nvidia setup and a HTPC (which I have, also) will still work with the H5360BD. However, in that case, there is no difference between the two models.

The only (and it's a big one) advantage of the H5360BD is that it can be used (using the DLP-Link glasses) without the need for an HTPC, or an external interface box (3D-XL, etc.). The only caveat is that it will only handle (as far as we know) the "required" HDMI 1.4a compliant signals (as noted above).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #96 of 383 Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a link earlier in this thread to a thread on the Nvidia forums where an Nvidia engineer or rep commented that Nvidia Vision won't work with this new projector. They have updated their 3DTV driver to support it though. That means you can't use the Nvidia Vision glasses or emitter. You would only be able to use DLP Link glasses with this projector when using with a PC with an Nvidia card in 3D.
post #97 of 383 Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
We can still do the inf hack to trick the pc into believing that it's the older H5360 thus enable 3D Vision. Anyway, I can no longer wait and will order H5360BD from Amazon.de. I'll go for DLP Link UC glasses first as I need that for PS3 too. With Sharpshooter + 3D in Killzone 3 would be an awesome experience.
post #98 of 383 Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 AM

There are first user reviews in the UK...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...projector.html
post #99 of 383 Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Any news on a US ship/availability date yet?

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #100 of 383 Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

If one uses a HTPC, am I correct in assuming one still needs to use "3D" video cards?

Yes, you need a video card that supports the HDMI 1.4 spec, which I believe the last 2 generations of both Nvidia and AMD cards should do. See these pages for full compatibility:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...-hardware.aspx
post #101 of 383 Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Just received H5360BD from Amazon.de. I can't test the projector yet as I need to fabricate the custom mount and still waiting for UC DLP-Link glasses from 3D Heaven. The projector looks tiny compare to BENQ W6000.

The reasons I go for H5360BD are:
1. 1.4a HDMI compatible. I can play my PS3 game in 3D without additional convertor.
2. DLP Link glasses are cheaper than Nvidia. I only need to get the license for 3DTV Play which is cheaper than 3D Vision package.
3. I'm not sure how the timing works in 3D Vision package to the projector as I believe all the modern display with image processing will introduce delay into the video chain. Unless 3D Vision driver had taken into consideration of each projector/tv, DLP Link should provide the most accurate sync signal to the glasses using white flash as it's the end device which had the signal delay taken into consideration.
4. Side by side and Up/Down 3D format conversion. I can use my Dune Prime 3.0 to send SBS format to the projector and get converted to 120hz 3D.
LL
LL
LL
post #102 of 383 Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Can't wait to hear more about the unit. I'm really thinking of picking this up when it hits the U.S.

I have 2 girls that would love to watch movies in 3D in the theater.
post #103 of 383 Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post
Just received H5360BD from Amazon.de. I can't test the projector yet as I need to fabricate the custom mount and still waiting for UC DLP-Link glasses from 3D Heaven. The projector looks tiny compare to BENQ W6000.

1. 1.4a HDMI compatible. I can play my PS3 game in 3D without additional convertor.
2. DLP Link glasses are cheaper than Nvidia. I only need to get the license for 3DTV Play which is cheaper than 3D Vision package.
3. I'm not sure how the timing works in 3D Vision package to the projector as I believe all the modern display with image processing will introduce delay into the video chain. Unless 3D Vision driver had taken into consideration of each projector/tv, DLP Link should provide the most accurate sync signal to the glasses using white flash as it's the end device which had the signal delay taken into consideration.
4. Side by side and Up/Down 3D format conversion. I can use my Dune Prime 3.0 to send SBS format to the projector and get converted to 120hz 3D.
Do you live here in the States? What was the exchange in American Dollars as well as shipping?
post #104 of 383 Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

How were you able to order this, the translation software in my Firefox browser doesn't work at all, also would you mind telling what the price was U.S. ??? Thanks, Ken
post #105 of 383 Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

I'm from Malaysia and pay for around Euro 680 including shipping and additional 10% for import duty. As Acer Malaysia didn't carry the home theater projector, I would have to get it from either US or Europe. The layout is similar to Amazon.com, just compare page by page and you should be able to figure out how to purchase the unit. Once I get the DLP Link glasses, I'll test with PS3, PC with 3DTV Play (for games and movie) and Dune Prime 3.0 (SBS format mkv).
post #106 of 383 Old 04-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
trying to debate between this and the older 5360 model.

as I understand, this one will let you hook up to anything including 3d programming from cable companies sans sports which i don't really watch anyway.

but i'm understanding you can only use dlp glasses? on the other thread, everyone was saying the dlp glasses worked like crap. So can you use shutter glasses with an emitter like the 3dtv corp universal emitter and glasses? or is there no mode to turn off the dlp mode?

we still need 3dtv play even if just using xbmc and powerdvd or something like that right?
post #107 of 383 Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

trying to debate between this and the older 5360 model.

as I understand, this one will let you hook up to anything including 3d programming from cable companies sans sports which i don't really watch anyway.

but i'm understanding you can only use dlp glasses? on the other thread, everyone was saying the dlp glasses worked like crap. So can you use shutter glasses with an emitter like the 3dtv corp universal emitter and glasses? or is there no mode to turn off the dlp mode?

we still need 3dtv play even if just using xbmc and powerdvd or something like that right?

I have DLP link glasses with my 5360 and don't have a problem. I think those people just have a bad setup or something. When I play RE: Afterlife, Step Up 3D, etc, it looks great.

The "old" unit won't work with a PS3 and other stuff though. This one is supposed to handle all that.

Not sure about this new model, but my H5360 has 3 modes: 2D, DLP 3D, Nvidia 3D.
post #108 of 383 Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
i just checked the manual, no nvidia mode so looks like dlp glasses are only option.
post #109 of 383 Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Has it been confirmed that channels like ESPN3D will not work with a projector like this?

I'm very curious about picking it up, and while I don't have DirecTV at the moment, I'm anxious to see some 3D sports events on it if I do.

I did some searching yesterday and could only find confusion as to why the format that DirecTV is sending ESPN3D is not working on certain devices.
post #110 of 383 Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

My glasses arrived today and manage to do some test.

Projector design impression:
The projector is small and look more like a business presentation projector. The light leakage from the projector is quite bad. I can see the projector internal through the vent. A DIY light shield should solve the problem. Zoom is quite limited so make sure you get your distance correct. I'm using 114" screen from 13'.

2D impression: If your main objective is 2D movie, get a proper full HD projector. The difference is there and full HD projector is definitely sharper than 720p projector. I haven't done any serious calibration except the simple brightness and contrast settings. The comparison is done with calibrated BENQ W6000.

3D impression and working format:
1. Using Prime Dune 3.0, setting to 720p 60hz, I can output SBS format movie to the projector and enable 3D. But it wouldn't auto detect and need to choose the 3D format to Side by side mode. Video quality is quite low compare to using PC with Nvidia 3DTV Play due to the resolution is cut to half. Once going for 1080p 60hz, again setting the 3D format to SBS, the movie is sharper due to higher pixel count. Now in this setup, it looks as good as PC using Nvidia 3DTV Play. Using pc and ffdshow to do a resize of 1920x1080 to 2560x720 and playback using Nvidia 3D Player, I manage to get a sharper 3D video.

2. PC with 3DTV Play. No issue. Game is working fine. 3D stereo player is working. Note that it is possible to send 720p 120hz to the projector so theoretically it should work with 3D Vision package with Nvidia glasses. Just turn of DLP 3D to disable the white flash and the 3D warning. Avatar in 3D is awesome and I feel it is better than local cinema using passive polarization. The color looks good and zero crosstalk.
Don't use the latest 270.56 driver as there is some bugs that prevent the 3D video.

3. PS3 - First time booting up the PS3, the display will be detected as 3D capable display. Run Killzone 3 and go to the option to enable 3D. No hassle at all and work without any tweaking. Only comment is due to PS3 3D processing limitation, the resolution of the game seems to be lower than 2D mode. Image quality is a bit lower but you get 3D instead. Still waiting for sharpshooter to try out. Overall for 3D gaming, I would recommend a powerful PC as in 3D, you don't sacrifice any visual quality except for those game that need to turn off shadow or some advance option due to rendering problem.

Additional note: when I switch the prime 3.0 to 720p 60hz, I get a black and white picture. After checking out the menu, I found out the saturation and tint is at 0. Default is 50 so after changing the value back to 50, the color look just right.

Conclusion:
1. 1.4a framepacking 720p working. Haven't try 1080p 24hz.
2. SBS work for both 720p and 1080p at 60hz. Can't auto detect. Didn't try out 50hz. That's mean if your cable tv output 720p SBS or 1080p SBS @ 60hz, it should work.
3. PS3 - OK. No issue encounter.

Equipment:
Source: PC with GTX560 and Dune Prime 3.0
AV Receiver: Denon 4311
Projector: H5360BD
Cable: 35ft Monoprice 24awg cable which is dirt cheap and work without problem. The cable able to passthrough 1080p 60hz 12bit color. Don't waste your money on expensive HDMI cable.

My settings after calibration with test pattern. No greyscale tuning as I'm not sure if it is recommended to put the probe behind the glasses to take measurement is accurate. Anyway, looking at the RGB and greyscale pattern, I would say the color is pretty good.

HTPC setting: Using Nvidia 560 ti, RGB output. full range.
Acer setting: Make sure you set the HDMI range from Auto to Full range. If not you will crush the black level.
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 57
Saturation: 50
Tint: 50
R, G, B : untouched.
Gamma: 1

Wish list for the projector: Able to set multiple profile for projector. Dedicated remote button or at least a discreet IR code for 3D Mode, 3D invert, 3D Off/DLP.
post #111 of 383 Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_NC View Post

Here are the 3D timings for the HDMI 1.4a for this projector from the manual:

That table from the owner's manual does not show support the 720p side-by-side format used by Directv to distribute ESPN 3D programming. The table only shows side-by-side support for 1080i and 1080p input resolutions. More specific, it only shows support for the HDMI 1.4a mandatory 3D signal formats with no support for the optional 3D formats (the same situation as for the JVC 3D projectors). Also when using the PC connection the projector provides support for the 720p 120Hz 3D mode, the same as provided with all 1st generation, low cost DLP 3D projectors.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #112 of 383 Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

The manual doesn't show but it work for 720p SBS. You just had to select SBS as 3D format. Quality wise 720p SBS is not very good and looks like DVD movie. I would prefer 1080p SBS if possible.
post #113 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpl View Post

Apparently the H5360BD won't handle signal from 3D cable or sat boxes - BluRay ONLY (in contrary with Optoma 3D-XL which accepts all available 3D sources)

I own H5360 and the picture is significantly better (sharper, crispier, more vivid) when I feed it with 1080p instead of 720p (despite the downscaling)

You are totaly wrong.
Just tested Acer h5360 BD. Works grae on dreambox sky 3d (side by side) + canal plus 3 D + penthouse 3d . You only have to make manual setting from INPUT SETING : AUTO to SIDE BY SIDE.

It's a great projector. Better than optoma hd 67N(have this one too). Much more clarity.
It handles perfectly my dune smart d1 player with Blu-ray iso's and MKV's.
CONS : A bit louder than optoma and dispersing a lot of heat...

BUT very good price for the money
post #114 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

If you do not have a 3D projector, H5360BD is a good buy as it support most of the 3D format except checkerbox. But for those who already had a 3D Ready Projector, then an external 3D converter would be more cost effective.
post #115 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplacan View Post

You only have to make manual setting from INPUT SETING : AUTO to SIDE BY SIDE.

So is this setting change something that I could make into a macro in a smart remote like the Harmony? For example, is it something where you would need to navigate through a couple of menus in order to get to the setting that you want to change?
post #116 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

The macro wouldn't work on Harmony remote as the max sequence/steps is 5. You need around 7 to 8 steps to complete the macro.
post #117 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:

The macro wouldn't work on Harmony remote as the max sequence/steps is 5. You need around 7 to 8 steps to complete the macro.

You are right. But It's not to difficult to browse torough the menues. Infact is very simple.
post #118 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Some good news. Looks like during 3D mode, you can press the eView button and access 3D Glasses Option and 3D Invert in less than 5 steps. That should work for Harmony remote. Too bad 3D Format is not in the eView Management menu.
post #119 of 383 Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Thank you all so much for the good work. So with a little manual intervention this device seems to work with most devices? An earlier post said that a ps3 review was forthcoming.

Also, how is this pj with regular 1080i content? I've read so many different things. Some people complain about "2d" but that doesn't really describe the quality of the source. I'm most interested in sports, blu rays and 3d but I don't want to pony up the money for a 1080p unit and a converter right now.
post #120 of 383 Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 AM

Hi,

in contrast to some posts I can't get the beamer to work in 3D mode with NVidia 3D Vision. Maybe it's some old cable that need to be exchanged but in general works 120Hz (in 2D). But could someone please post the exact settings for reproduction where it should work?

Thanks,

lobequadrat
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - H5360 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page