Should I Choose [Grey screen 1.8 gain] OR [Grey screen 1.1 gain] OR [white 2.4 gain] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI everyone ,I intend to buy EluneVision Screens 120 inch on eastporters.com ,so Should I Choose [Grey screen 1.8 gain] OR [Grey screen 1.1 gain] OR [white 2.4 gain] for watching both 2D and 3D DLP shutter glasses in good picture on Optoma HD66 ? Please help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batista11b5 View Post

HI everyone ,I intend to buy EluneVision Screens 120 inch on eastporters.com ,so Should I Choose [Grey screen 1.8 gain] OR [Grey screen 1.1 gain] OR [white 2.4 gain] for watching both 2D and 3D DLP shutter glasses in good picture on Optoma HD66 ? Please help me

Hi. Firstly, you should post your question to "Screens" thread. Anyway, I don't see why are you choosing between so different screens, like from 1.1 to 2.4 gain? If you have light-controled environment, I would recommend screen gain as closer to 1 as possible (in your case 1.1 gain), which would meen that the light from projector is reflected at ratio of 1.1 : 1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiSK View Post
Hi. Firstly, you should post your question to "Screens" thread. Anyway, I don't see why are you choosing between so different screens, like from 1.1 to 2.4 gain? If you have light-controled environment, I would recommend screen gain as closer to 1 as possible (in your case 1.1 gain), which would meen that the light from projector is reflected at ratio of 1.1 : 1.
A 1.0/ 1.1 gain screen at 120" is not going to work very well for 3D. For 2D it is fine, but not 3D. With 3D you lose some thing like 75% of your lumens. Most people opt for a smaller screen if doing 3D.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiSK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post
A 1.0/ 1.1 gain screen at 120" is not going to work very well for 3D. For 2D it is fine, but not 3D. With 3D you lose some thing like 75% of your lumens. Most people opt for a smaller screen if doing 3D.
thank you guy so much , but when I ask Eastporters.com support center , and they give me an advice like that :

ME :
Code:
HI ,I intend to buy EluneVision Screens 120 inch on eastporters.com ,
so Should I Choose [Grey screen 1.8 gain] OR [Grey screen 1.1 gain] OR [white 2.4 gain] for 
watching both 2D and 3D DLP shutter glasses in good picture on Optoma HD66 ? 
Please help me
Eastporters.com support:
Code:
Hi,

I would go for the gray 1.8, that would be the best choice for your setup.

Thank you.

Milosh Jovic,

Eastporters.com
Is it it true ?and someone give some different advices , so I dont know exactly what to choose .So what they mean [1.8 is the best] is true or not ? Please help me . abillion thanks to you guy .
post #5 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
I would recommend you do whatever Milosh Jovic says!!!
With a name like that, you know he means business!!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

I would recommend you do whatever Milosh Jovic says!!!
With a name like that, you know he means business!!

So you mean , grey 1.1 gain still the best one among of those screens above ?
post #7 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry....let me give you some actual advice

Is the room dedicated? Light colored walls / ceiling? Seating distance? Throw Distance?
post #8 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the Optoma HD66 and use it for 3D on a 106" screen. You will want brightness if you will be using 3D on a a 120" screen, so the gain from the screen could be important. However, most high gain screens are retro-reflective, so the gain would probably be mostly up there close to the ceiling where the projector is mounted instead of at the viewers eyes where you want it. So, in addition to the issue of whether your room is light controlled & the color of your walls and ceiling, one more question would be with those screens: how much gain do they deliver off axis to the viewers eyes when the projector is ceiling mounted? Sorry, it isn't too complicated, but to get the right screen you would need to have those answers.

The best screen in my opinion would be one that delivers high gain to the viewers eyes while the projector is ceiling mounted. The color gray vs white would not be as important to me. I offer this advise primarily with the consideration that you want 3D on a large screen size. That means to me that a high gain screen is primary.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

I have the Optoma HD66 and use it for 3D on a 106" screen. You will want brightness if you will be using 3D on a a 120" screen, so the gain from the screen could be important. However, most high gain screens are retro-reflective, so the gain would probably be mostly up there close to the ceiling where the projector is mounted instead of at the viewers eyes where you want it. So, in addition to the issue of whether your room is light controlled & the color of your walls and ceiling, one more question would be with those screens: how much gain do they deliver off axis to the viewers eyes when the projector is ceiling mounted? Sorry, it isn't too complicated, but to get the right screen you would need to have those answers.

The best screen in my opinion would be one that delivers high gain to the viewers eyes while the projector is ceiling mounted. The color gray vs white would not be as important to me. I offer this advise primarily with the consideration that you want 3D on a large screen size. That means to me that a high gain screen is primary.

Yep. Problem is 2D has one set of requirements and 3D has a completely different set of requirements. Hard to meet both sets of requirements using a projector with out an adjustable iris. Even harder when wanting to use such a large screen.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post
Sorry....let me give you some actual advice

Is the room dedicated? Light colored walls / ceiling? Seating distance? Throw Distance?
yes , and i only watch movie at night so no light and no a little light ,and totaly dark in room , seating distance around [3-3.5m] , through distance [4-4.5 m] for 120 inch screen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

i only watch movie at night so no light and no a little light ,and totaly dark in room , seating distance around [3-3.5m] , through distance [4-4.5 m] for 120 inch screen
+And i mean which screen for both 2D and 3D , not for 3D only . So regarding to your opinions [If watching both 2D/3D , so grey with high gain is the best ? so i have to choose grey 1.8 gain ? or grey 1.1 ,or white 2.4 gain ? Because i really want to use only one useful screen to watch both , i dont wanna buy 1 grey and 1 white ^^!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post
Yep. Problem is 2D has one set of requirements and 3D has a completely different set of requirements. Hard to meet both sets of requirements using a projector with out an adjustable iris. Even harder when wanting to use such a large screen.
yes , i just wanna use 1 screen to watch both , but if i choose white screen [watching good on 3D] [bad on 2D] and if i choose Grey [watching good on 2D] [bad on 3D] . so i have no idea now.

*** Thank you guy very much for help me out .
post #11 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

so what should i choose now ?
post #12 of 15 Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

anyone help me ?
post #13 of 15 Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have an Elunevision 2.4 gain white, and a Greywolf I, 1.8 gain grey. I'm pretty sure both the Elunevision and Greywolf come from the same factory in China. The electric version of the Greywolf's look almost exactly like the Elunevision, and their manuals are virtually identical. I use mine in a high ambient light environment ( as a TV ), and the retro screens help with ambient light rejection, as well as providing a brighter picture.

As others have noted, these are both retro-reflective screens, so, to take advantage of the gain you'll have to have the projector lens as close to your eye level as possible. Since the HD66 has a fixed offset, your only option to do this would be to table mount. If you ceiling mount, the gain will be close to 1.

The advantage of a retro-even if you ceiling mount, is you won't see waves in the screen. Virtually all non-tab-tensioned screens either have waves or develop them.

The main advantage of the grey over the white is slightly better black levels. I'm not sure about the Elunevision 1.8 Grey or the Greywolf II, but my Greywolf I has a 'dirty' type texture when you're watching an image. It also has quite a few 'sparklies'. The Elunevision 2.4 white doesn't have these issues.

My Elunevision 2.4 compares favourably to my Dalite Hi-Power with one important exception ... the Elunevision ( and Greywolf ) are NOT cleanable. If you roll up a bug, you've got a permanent blemish. The HiPower is cleanable (to a point).

So, if you're going to watch a good deal of 3D, and are willing to table mount, I'd go for the white 2.4. When watching 2D material, dial down the lamp to econo mode. The manual pull-down HiPower is about the same price as the Electric Elunevision 2.4. The HiPower has a slight edge on picture quality, and a big advantage of being cleanable.

Jonathan
post #14 of 15 Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite View Post

I have an Elunevision 2.4 gain white, and a Greywolf I, 1.8 gain grey. I'm pretty sure both the Elunevision and Greywolf come from the same factory in China. The electric version of the Greywolf's look almost exactly like the Elunevision, and their manuals are virtually identical. I use mine in a high ambient light environment ( as a TV ), and the retro screens help with ambient light rejection, as well as providing a brighter picture.

As others have noted, these are both retro-reflective screens, so, to take advantage of the gain you'll have to have the projector lens as close to your eye level as possible. Since the HD66 has a fixed offset, your only option to do this would be to table mount. If you ceiling mount, the gain will be close to 1.

The advantage of a retro-even if you ceiling mount, is you won't see waves in the screen. Virtually all non-tab-tensioned screens either have waves or develop them.

The main advantage of the grey over the white is slightly better black levels. I'm not sure about the Elunevision 1.8 Grey or the Greywolf II, but my Greywolf I has a 'dirty' type texture when you're watching an image. It also has quite a few 'sparklies'. The Elunevision 2.4 white doesn't have these issues.

My Elunevision 2.4 compares favourably to my Dalite Hi-Power with one important exception ... the Elunevision ( and Greywolf ) are NOT cleanable. If you roll up a bug, you've got a permanent blemish. The HiPower is cleanable (to a point).

So, if you're going to watch a good deal of 3D, and are willing to table mount, I'd go for the white 2.4. When watching 2D material, dial down the lamp to econo mode. The manual pull-down HiPower is about the same price as the Electric Elunevision 2.4. The HiPower has a slight edge on picture quality, and a big advantage of being cleanable.

Jonathan

can you show me the link to HIPower 2.4 gain 120 inch ? i can't find it anywhere .Thanks
post #15 of 15 Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
All 3 of my retro screens are 92". As far as the HiPower, I have the least expensive Dalite model B. However, the model B line only goes up to 106". The model C line goes up to 158".

Here's one Canadian online dealer;

http://www.hd.ca/da-lite_CAN/modelcnocsr.php

Just choose HiPower as the screen fabric option.

Jonathan
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page