Best aprox $3k projector for high light level room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide on a projector to put in a room that cannot really be blacked out like most proper theater rooms. There are light sources that come in that raise the light level above optimal standards.

Around $3k, what would be a projector that would produce the brightest picture to compensate for the light issues? Do I just need to look at the ANSI lumens spec for my answer?

Example I was looking at the PT-AE4000U 1600 ANSI lumens. Then I noticed the BenQ SP 890 4000 ANSI lumens. Both seem to have good reviews but should I be focused on the lumen level. Any other projectors to look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
We have no idea how much light you're talking about. If the room cannot be "reasonably dark" forget about a projector.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is already a projector room. It is being upgraded. If you do not have suggestions on projectors, please do not respond to the thread.
post #4 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
First off forget about Panasonic if looking for lumens.

You didn't state your screen size or throw distance. It will be tough for anyone to give you a good answer.

You have a couple of cannons out there in your range. The Benq SP890 is one. This is possibly too bright for most standard applications. Unless you plan to do a 200 inch screen..it will be much to bright for comfort.

The Benq w6000 would be a better option. You'll get good lumen output and still have a decent picture. One of the Epson's could do the trick, the 8350 or 8700. The 8350 will give you more lumens over the 8700. You'll lose some black-level though. This may not be important if there's an abundance of ambient light in the room all the time.

For more money closer to 3 grand the Infocus Sp8602 is another option.Lumen output will vary depending on the placement of the projector in reference to the screen. The lower or higher you can place this unit from top or bottom of the screen.say 15 inches... get it as close to the screen for that screens dimensions and use a high gain screen. You'll have a VERY bright..basically blinding image if you like. It will still retain black levels and colors better than anything I've listed so far.

More info would be helpful.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The other options are the Benq w1100 and W1200 ..true flame throwers for cheap!
post #6 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. It is 148" from the projector to the screen and most likely will be a 100" diagonal screen.
post #7 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Thanks for the info. It is 148" from the projector to the screen and most likely will be a 100" diagonal screen.

If you can do a Dalite High Power screen set up then that opens you up to many projectors. If can't do a High Power set up, then the W6000 is a good choice.
post #8 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

If you can do a Dalite High Power screen set up then that opens you up to many projectors. If can't do a High Power set up, then the W6000 is a good choice.

I was looking at the Da-Lite Da-Snap screens in 100" 16:9. There is the High Contrast Da-Mat, High Contrast Cinema Vision and High Power like you suggested. The price between them is not really that much.

This is a fairly large private theater room with about 24 seats. Viewing angle would need to be good so people can be able to enjoy the image from any of the available seats. I know they want it to be bright because the setup they have now is terrible and barely visible.

We are also putting in a VGA port wall plate for presentations so it would be nice if the projector supports many computer resolutions. They main usage will be from a BD player outputting 1080p.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I was looking at the Da-Lite Da-Snap screens in 100" 16:9. There is the High Contrast Da-Mat, High Contrast Cinema Vision and High Power like you suggested. The price between them is not really that much.

This is a fairly large private theater room with about 24 seats. Viewing angle would need to be good so people can be able to enjoy the image from any of the available seats. I know they want it to be bright because the setup they have now is terrible and barely visible.

We are also putting in a VGA port wall plate for presentations so it would be nice if the projector supports many computer resolutions. They main usage will be from a BD player outputting 1080p.

If you are talking about a 24 seat theater, then you should be looking at larger screens. Yes, forget about the High Power screen. What are the viewing distances? I would think a 120" would be the minimum size that you should look at. A good choice would be the Benq W6000 and a 120" screen.
post #10 of 38 Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

100" is the largest screen that can be mounted. I did not build the room, I am just working with what is available.
post #11 of 38 Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM

100" is not big and there are countless options for projectors to fill this screen.

You do not need a light cannon or high power screen for this application even with a few lights on. For screens...I would choose a white surface between 1.1-1.4 gain --- Any lighting in the room (bulbs/sunlight) can't be directed towards the screen or you will have an unusable image. It doesn't matter how many lumens a projector has....projectors do not project black as black is merely the absence of light.

Pictures of this area would probably help greatly.

A few projectors that will likely work...

Epson 8700UB (brightest of the 3 in brightest mode for ambient light)
Sony VPL-VWPRO1
JVC-HD250

EDIT: It would also be very helpful if we knew the projector they are currently using. It's possible there is no real solution. This would give us something to judge against based on the lumen output of the current projector.
post #12 of 38 Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Sounds like you should target a 1.5 gain screen with the Benq w6000 to prevent a too narrow of a viewing cone, this should give you enough lumens.

+1 on the Benq w6000, it usually produces more accurate color at the higher lumens than most of the other projector's mentioned (except for business projectors that are rated 3000+ Lumens).

You will get the equivalent of 2000 lumens (technically should be restated as FL, but too lazy to look) from the Benq paired with the 1.5 gain screen even in a mode that is only slight off BEST mode. You can get a similar brightness with the Epson 8350 or Epson 8700 in a decent mode as well, but the BENQ tends to look a bit better I hear at the higher brightness (depending on who you ask). I personally think DLP definitely looks better in brighter scenes than LCD anyways in your situation due to the added sharpness, stick with DLP in this situation. Sharpness can actually make an image in a non-light controlled situation a bit easier to take for some reason (not sure why, but that is my impression).

Even if someone is sensitive to RBE, I've heard ambient light reduces the effect of RBE because of the worsened contrast and black levels, so I doubt RBE would be an issue in this setup even if an occassional viewer does have sensitivity (which is rare anyways).

There are some crossover business / HT projectors that are even far brighter.

Are you completely not allowed to install movable curtains that can be drawn back when not in use?

I would NOT recommend the high power screen because in your situation it sounds like people will be spread out and viewing from multiple angles, high power screen works better with only 3-4 people tightly per row. The viewing cone may be too narrow for the HP.

Since lumens will help then black levels aren't the ultimate goal here, the goal should be getting the projector very bright to compensate for the less than optimal room which will translate to better perceived contrast.

Keep in mind that a 16:9 106" diagonal screen is only 92" wide, or about 98" wide including the pull down frame. Get every inch you can.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

coderguy, thank you for all the useful info. I only have like 96" tip to tip to work with here. Trust me I would love to throw a 120" screen up there but unfortunately it just ain't happening. This is already going to be a pretty expensive project and I doubt they are going to want to start remodeling the front of the room for a bigger screen.

I have and am going to suggest again some shades that would block most of the ambient light but I cannot count on that happening. I have to plan for there to still be ambient light coming in from those windows. It is not optimal but definitely workable.

KostaVan, I cannot take pictures of this theater at this time for various reasons. Once the project is complete though, I am sure they would not mind me photographing the room. I could post them here for you all to see. The room is quite impressive in many ways and has tons of potential to be great. They did a lot things right even though there were some design flaws and corners were cut on the initial equipment install. If only I was involved from the beginning, it would be a whole different story.

Thank you all who posted helpful input. I welcome any more comments/suggestions and I will keep this thread updated and things come together.
post #14 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep one thing in mind though, the Benq does need calibrated. You will need an eye-one meter for around $150 and the free HCFR software. Following the calibration guide for dummies (you can find this on google) and get some help in the forums for calibrating it at the right color/brightness/contrast combination for your lighting situation, you should have no problem, even my Grandma could probably do it (well maybe an overstatement).

You will probably need to do the color calibration part at night because the light will mess up the calibration meter, but you can do the contrast/brightness calibration during the same lighting conditions as the viewer will see by using a Spears and Muncil bluray disk which costs about $30 on amazon. Then just store a few variations in the user presets and compare them and pick one.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #15 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM

I agree with KostaVan, there really isn't a need for a super bright projector and a high gain screen for a 100" diagonal. Focus more on picture quality at that size. Of course, this based on you being able to control the ambient light or at least direct it away from the screen.

Do you already have a screen manufacturer in mind?

Benito
post #16 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Focus more on picture quality at that size. Of course, this based on you being able to control the ambient light or at least direct it away from the screen.

Do you already have a screen manufacturer in mind?

Benito

He stated though he cannot control light and will most likely have open windows with light coming directly in, even if not directly hitting the screen it sounds like his room will be excessively and abnormally bright.
I think you will agree that LUMENS will be the most important factor if that is true.

post #17 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

He stated though he cannot control light and will most likely have open windows with light coming directly in, even if not directly hitting the screen it sounds like his room will be excessively and abnormally bright.
I think you will agree that LUMENS will be the most important factor if that is true.

100% correct coderguy!
Maybe focus a bit on controlling the light?? Would that be an option.

Benny
post #18 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Daylight is kryptonite for any projector...past, present, and future - If direct daylight is hitting the screen..."forgedda bout it"
*(without a $15k special screen)
post #19 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is not sunshine thank goodness. They are hall lights that do not turn off.

I went to a new A/V dealer in town today and showed me the new cheap Sony projector setup and even turned the lights on (bright) and the picture looked very watchable. Of course this was a much smaller room and and the projector was much closer.
post #20 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is not sunshine thank goodness. They are hall lights that do not turn off.

I went to a new A/V dealer in town today and showed me the new cheap Sony projector setup and even turned the lights on (bright) and the picture looked very watchable. Of course this was a much smaller room and and the projector was much closer.

Definitely don't get a Sony if there is any light in the room, but we don't know exactly how much light, but don't get a Sony either way, not for this type of application IMO. The Sony will quickly become unwatchable as the lamp ages.

Is it like enough light to just easily enough read a newspaper with no eye-strain (but any darker it would be hard), if yes, then stick with the Benq, if no then your options are probably more diverse. Even if the picture is watchable with the lights on, a brighter image is more watchable and will have better perceived contrast.

If you want something cheaper, grab the Epson 8350 it will be plenty bright and do just fine. I just think the Benq is not only a better projector, but will look better with it's sharper image in an ambient light situation, they both are similar brightness.

Even a refurbished Epson 8100 will work if you really want to save a few hundred more, I think these go for around 1k or less.

post #21 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Another vote for the W6000, just don't expect miracles with ambient light .

Jason
post #22 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I am curious, in this particular application does the client have an issue with curtains or other light-blocking material to stop the hallway light(s) from entering the theater room? Is this truly a theater room or a corporate "high tech overhead projector" room?

Either way, if the client is putting these non-standard limitations on the situation, the biggest, baddest light cannon is probably what you need. Is there a resolution requirement (1080p, VGA, whatever)? Maybe a super-bright business-class PJ is what is needed in this case...

Just bouncing a few ideas around,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #23 of 38 Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

OP said the room might get better light control added later, but he cannot count on it. The Benq w6000 is almost a cross-over projector, I would stick with an HT projector.

According to the projector central calculator, he can get 63 FL on the 1.5 gain screen with the Benq on a new lamp, or well over 40 just slightly out of best mode.
This projector does 1750 lumens before gain at its maximum (although does have a green push). It does 1500 or so lumens with a more manageable green push. Best color mode won't be as important in an ambient light situation anyhow.

That is incredibly bright for only a 100" screen even with ambient light.

post #24 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Check into the sanyo PLC-XU116. It has inorganic panels and a 275 watt lamp which should give it some serious brightness for your application. If you are trying to save money and don't want to go with a commmercial grade projector I believe this is a good alternative

Good luck

Bohanna
post #25 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

Check into the sanyo PLC-XU116. It has inorganic panels and a 275 watt lamp which should give it some serious brightness for your application. If you are trying to save money and don't want to go with a commmercial grade projector I believe this is a good alternative

Good luck

Bohanna

This is not an HD projector, it's only 1024x768, not even 720p, compared to the Benq that is 1080p. This is much more of an old-school business projector, he wants an HT projector. The resolution alone puts this out of the picture, there are better HD crossover projectors than the Sanyo at the same price which isn't even a crossover, and this is even if he wants a brighter image than the Benq can do.

post #26 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 AM

No expert here by any means, but shouldn't the OP also be looking at doing a grey screen? There are some pretty impressive Silver Fire screens in the DIY screen section that seem to work great with ambient light. I myself use a cheap greywolf screen with the Optoma Pro350w (2800 lumen) and can watch TV and sports comfortably with the ceiling fan light on and 2 lamps behind me on; all hitting the screen. I wouldn't watch a movie with all those on, but it is possible. Anyone with more experience have any advice on screen options?
post #27 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post

No expert here by any means, but shouldn't the OP also be looking at doing a grey screen? There are some pretty impressive Silver Fire screens in the DIY screen section that seem to work great with ambient light. I myself use a cheap greywolf screen with the Optoma Pro350w (2800 lumen) and can watch TV and sports comfortably with the ceiling fan light on and 2 lamps behind me on; all hitting the screen. I wouldn't watch a movie with all those on, but it is possible. Anyone with more experience have any advice on screen options?

Gray screen might work depending on the direction of the light and how much light and the EXACT viewing angles of the people (some grey screens have narrow viewing cones too I think, which might exempt them).

That said, most 1.5 gain or lower screens are a safer bet without us knowing the exact room setup and the amount of light in the room.

post #28 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Avoid gray screens unless truly needed as they all have some degree of texture (sheen) other than Stewart. This 'sheen' makes whites appear dingy and makes for a less sharp image over-all due to the texture.

I stick by my suggestion... the W6000 is one of the best over-all choices under 3K regarding image quality and lumen's, if you want a sharp punchy image then you'll be hard pressed to find something better at the current going rate.

Best of Luck,
Jason
post #29 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

This is not an HD projector, it's only 1024x768, not even 720p, compared to the Benq that is 1080p. This is much more of an old-school business projector, he wants an HT projector. The resolution alone puts this out of the picture, there are better HD crossover projectors than the Sanyo at the same price which isn't even a crossover, and this is even if he wants a brighter image than the Benq can do.

I believe this projector does 1080p through the RGB component inputs and the DVI port. I also believe that many of the newer models with the HDMI connections scale in the same way and use the same LCD panels. I know for a FACT that most of the RGB Sanyo that I have tell you exactly what signal is coming in and what they are displaying. It's a really safe bet that you are not going to get any real light levels out of a Home theatre projector since they dial back on the brightness levels to improve the richness of the dark colors. IN this case it's pretty safe to say that the room will have a much higher level of ambient light and will need a higher Lumen output to compensate. The trick with ANY projector that uses white light as an illumination source is how well it shows the absence of light as a dark color ,, especially black which in most cases appears to be gray. To the best of my knowledge there is no real way to get a white light to project black. My suggestion for this guy is if possible try and see several of these projectors in action with the lights on and see how they look. They will all look great in a dark room but I believe that the Sanyo with its higher power Lamp will outshine them all with the curtains up. JBL sound engineers learned years ago that the technical specks were not the way to sell or design their products and it is one of the reasons that they are the gold standard in the pro audio industry. Sony learned years ago how to make blues in TV look more blue and it is one of the reasons they are so popular. a 1200 lumen projector with a 150 to 200 watt lamp is going to look washed out in a daylight lit room. All the jibber jabber in the world will not change this and if you use a home theatre projector with the brightness up all the way I believe it will look cheesy as you will be undoing the very things that give it the image quality in the first place. The other thing that will help is what screen or wall color you use that will bring out the best image. Since price seems to me a key factor here. If you can't afford a high contrast screen I would consider using a painted wall.

Just my two cents.

Bohanna
post #30 of 38 Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

I believe this projector does 1080p through the RGB component inputs and the DVI port. I also believe that many of the newer models with the HDMI connections scale in the same way and use the same LCD panels.

The projector is 1024x768 as clearly outlined in the PJ's specs:
http://us.sanyo.com/Projectors-Produ...able/PLC-XU116

It is an XGA projector.

You can scale all you want but you can't change the resolution of the projector. A projector that accepts 1080p does not mean the resolution of the projector is 1080p.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page