Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Current Display
Panasonic 54in G10

I was recently looking to upgrade to a 60-65in plasma. In order for me to do that I would end up spending about $1800-$2500. Then it hit me! My reason for upgrading is for the size. So why go 65in when I can go 100in Now I'm trying to determine if my living room is adequate for a projector install.

Viewing habits
HD Cable (A Little SD)
Blu-Rays & DVDs
Netflix
Xbox & Wii
NO 3D

Budget
Around $1500 for pj & screen would be nice but I could wait and save a little more if needed. I would like something at least close to the image my G10 produces.
Here are a few pictures of my room.

I'm planning on placing the projector on a shelf above my seating position and placing a fixed frame screen on the tv wall. I would also go with black out curtains if needed.

Is this space ideal for a projector? I was thinking about something like the epson 8350 but haven't really researched anything else. I'm not sure what projector would be best for my conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

No input or suggestions?
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Sony VPL-VWPro1 and RCA-DLA-HD250 are two very good projectors available in your price range.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It would work fine. Blackout curtains are a good idea. The 8350 is a nice first projector if you want something brand new. If you're open to used I'd look for a JVC RS-1 if you wanna spend around $1,300-$1,8000; Amazing projector & the best blacks and contrast you'll find on anything aside from a CRT projector or another JVC projector, most likely. If you can spend a bit more, the HD250, as mentioned above, would be a great choice. The JVC's native contrast is better and a more realistic contrast rating compared to that of the 8350.

BTW, you can easily go well over just 100". Very few people use front projection for 100". Most are 110" and above. lol.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba86 View Post
Sony VPL-VWPro1 and RCA-DLA-HD250 are two very good projectors available in your price range.
Sorry I misread your post, I thought your price range was $1800-$2500.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure my room was decent enough for a projector setup. Only other issue I have is my HDMI run from the TV wall through my conduit to the other side would mean I need a 60FT HDMI cable. Monoprice sells a 75FT cable. Would that work? Does anyone have a setup with that type of run? I was reading the reviews on monoprice and people seem to have sucess with a 75FT cable.

So you think I should go bigger than 100in huh? Bigger is always tempting. I just didn't know how big I could go from that distance.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I would definitely go with a DLP in your case based on your viewing habits. DLP is superior for gaming in that price range, as well as for general TV viewing (usually).

The Mitusibishi hc4000 is an exceptional projector for a very low price, if it will fit in your room. It rivals many higher-costing projectors, and produces a VERY sharp image.

I doubt you'll be able to get that room light controlled enough to even want a projector with super dark blacks, the Mits hc4000 has decent blacks, good brightness, extremely sharp (sharper than most), and is very cost effective.

Otherwise if it does not fit, my second recommendation would be a Benq w6000 which is more placement friendly.

Your back ceiling appears a bit low, is the back ceiling also only 7 feet?
If so, then I suggest the Benq shelf-mounted in the back.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Your back ceiling appears a bit low, is the back ceiling also only 7 feet?
If so, then I suggest the Benq shelf-mounted in the back.

The back wall is 9FT, so is the TV wall but the TV wall has that over hang that I subtracted from the viewing area.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mits should work, you'll need to install a shelf up there close to the ceiling.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #10 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

If my screen wall is only 7FT high and I go with a 120in screen. How high on the back wall should I mount the projector? Its a 9ft wall. The throw would be 14.5 ft. Would I want to center the projector to the screen?

How low does the projectors beam get? I'm afraid of getting in its path when I stand up or not being able to play my Kinect or Wii standing up. I guess that is the downside of mounting it behind me on the wall.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

For a 120in screen, the offset is around 20" for the Mits downward from the center of the projector lens. Assuming the top of your viewable screen surface will come out at around 6.5 feet, then the Mits will be mounted 20" above that point, so around 97", or just about 8 feet high, if you put the screen flusher, re-do the calculations.

If you mount the projector as close to the screen as possible for this size of screen (about 12 feet for the Mits from the screen is minimum mounting distance), you shouldn't get in the light path when standing up, but even if you did, not much you can do about it if you mounted it as close as possible anyways.

Don't go by my calculations and start punching holes though, I am giving you rounded off numbers.

Yes you will need to center the projector to the screen horizontally if going with the Mits, you can use keystone a bit for vertical placement of the Mits, but the less keystone the better.

There is a calculator on the Mitsubishi site as well as projector central for calculating this stuff more precisely.

For the Benq w6000
--------------------
The Benq has a bit of lens shift, so a perfect horizontal centering isn't ALWAYS necessary depending on vertical placement, but still preferred overall. The Benq has 0 offset so would have to be mounted at most between the top of the screen (around 6.5 to 7 feet high, to the bottom of the screen, around 1.5 to 2 feet high). The closer vertically you get the Benq centered to the screen (around 4 feet high would give you an optimal amount of horizontal flexibility with the Benq, and vice versa).

So the Benq gives you good horizontal or vertical placement options, but not both at the same time. Meaning if you center the Benq vertically (around 4 feet high for your setup), you will get a lot of room to shift the picture horizontally. And, if you center the picture horizontally to the screen but can't center vertically, then you will have more vertical lens shift ability on the Benq.

post #12 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post

If my screen wall is only 7FT high and I go with a 120in screen. How high on the back wall should I mount the projector? Its a 9ft wall. The throw would be 14.5 ft. Would I want to center the projector to the screen?

How low does the projectors beam get? I'm afraid of getting in its path when I stand up or not being able to play my Kinect or Wii standing up. I guess that is the downside of mounting it behind me on the wall.

With the HC4000 and a 120" screen you will be able to use the projector for Kinect if the projector is behind you. A 120" screen is 59" high and the projector offset is 20". If the center of the lens is 6" down, that places the bottom of the image 23" above the floor if the projector is close mounted (lens center 6" down) on the 9' ceiling.

If you can get the center of the lens only 6" down by use of close mount and you project a 120" image using a 14'-6" throw then a 6' tall person will be able to walk with in 9' of the screen before there head gets in the image. So your playing area starts around 9' back from the screen.

No keystone was needed, but you only have about 19" or 20" for your center channel. If more is needed for the center channel then you will have to use keystone to raise the image.

Added
You will need to drop the projector a little lower. I did not look at the top of the screen. In my scenario above, the image is 2" away from the 7' ceiling. Does not leave enough room for the screen frame. I would drop it at much as I could based on how much room is needed for the center channel. In the above scenario you have 19" to 20" under the screen frame for the center channel and you need one more inch to fit the screen frame tight to the 7' ceiling. I use 3" for frame width. As said lower as much as possible leaving room for the center speaker. Some screens only have 1" or 2" widths and those would fit as I laid it out above, but I would still lower the projector a few inches to get it away from the ceiling.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Also note that your screen is going to be very low to the ground if you only have a 7 foot ceiling on the screen wall, up to you though.

post #14 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page