Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 138 Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
See this to fix. Mine is now fine.

avsforum post21041133

Couldn't post URL until after my third message which this is so you'll have to do more than just click
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Liked: 35
I just pulled the trigger on my new Acer H7531D projector. I discovered a promo code at newegg.com for $100 off of $850 and free shipping. Shipped to my door, in three days, for $750!!!

The code is EMCJKJF32 and ends on 10/20/2011.

Does anyone know if the three needed metric screws to ceiling mount, are included in the package?

Any advice on getting this projector calibrated? I don't have any calibration equipment. Are there any good DVD's or something else? Projectorcentral.com says that the colors are not great out of the box, but with calibration it gets much better. They said the same thing about my older projector too.

Thanks

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #93 of 138 Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM

I doubt the screws are included. They didn't come with my H7530D. You can get the screws at Hobbytown USA or probably Ace hardware they are 3mm x 25mm. I made a custom mount for mine and also used the center screw which is 1/4"-20tpi.

As far as calibration you will have to wait till the lamp gets a few hours before it calibrates real good. Mine has 160 + hours and I'm getting a better picture than my Mitsubishi DLP TV. I'm using a plain white screen. I have the aperture turned down slightly since my screen is only ~ 100", too bright otherwise. My settings are contrast~50, brightness~48, color temp. 1, white wall color, degamma 0 , saturation and tint are around 50 I think. I like the dynamic black medium for blu-ray, off for Comcast. Brilliant color on.

1080i from Comcast looks amazingly good. Especially the recent baseball playoff games on TBS.

This thing is an excellent value for the money. Nothing in it's price range can touch it.

p.s. Yes I did see some rainbows at first but I have gotten used to the projector now and I see them a lot less and they don't bother me.
post #94 of 138 Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM

I'm looking forward to getting this thing going. I'll need to adapt my current mount or make a new base plate. I contacted the individual who made my current mount, but the Acer manual does not give all of the required dimensions for him to make a new base plate. I've already ordered some metric screws so I won't need to wait on them. I read some reviews online that others tried numerous places and couldn't find them.

I have Digital Video Essentials:HD Basics on my cue on Netflix. Have any of you tried this DVD for calibration? Netflix reveiws say it's pretty good, only it didn't have the color filters. I ordered the filters fairly cheaply on Ebay.

--Anon.

post #95 of 138 Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmo View Post

I doubt the screws are included. They didn't come with my H7530D. You can get the screws at Hobbytown USA or probably Ace hardware they are 3mm x 25mm. I made a custom mount for mine and also used the center screw which is 1/4"-20tpi.

As far as calibration you will have to wait till the lamp gets a few hours before it calibrates real good. Mine has 160 + hours and I'm getting a better picture than my Mitsubishi DLP TV. I'm using a plain white screen. I have the aperture turned down slightly since my screen is only ~ 100", too bright otherwise. My settings are contrast~50, brightness~48, color temp. 1, white wall color, degamma 0 , saturation and tint are around 50 I think. I like the dynamic black medium for blu-ray, off for Comcast. Brilliant color on.

1080i from Comcast looks amazingly good. Especially the recent baseball playoff games on TBS.

This thing is an excellent value for the money. Nothing in it's price range can touch it.

p.s. Yes I did see some rainbows at first but I have gotten used to the projector now and I see them a lot less and they don't bother me.

Okay.............I was able to take my current ceiling mount base plate and drill new holes for my H7531D. The screws I ordered came today and yes.....they are not included in the box (even though the manual implies they are). I ordered the M3 X 20 but my spacers were a little too high. I could have used a little longer screws, but I just cut down my spacers. Also, the screws did not seem to thread very well, almost like I was cross threading them, but they seem to be holding fine.

I set all of my settings to your recommendation....or at least until I break in the bulb. My first impression is WOW!!!

One complaint. The auto iris doesn't seem to work well. It's a little jerky and makes noise while adjusting. In quiet scenes, you can really hear it adjusting. I haven't tried turning it off yet. I've tried having it set to high and didn't like it. Currently have it on medium, but I find it very noticeable. My wife, who is not into home theater like I, didn't notice it at all. Mine is hanging from the ceiling and originally had the auto detect setting on for right side up or upside down. I noticed a few times the picture would flip, just for a second. Weird, but I just changed the setting from auto detect to hanging.

I sit with the projector over my head and 2 feet behind me. The fan noise is very similar to my Mitsubishi HD1000U (not bad). The blacks are better and the brightness is better too. Going from 720P to 1080P looks better too. I never saw rainbows with my HD1000U and I don't see them with the H7531D either.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. Being my first day of use, I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of tweaking over the next month.

--Anon.

post #96 of 138 Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Yes the auto iris is noisy. This is my main complaint with the projector. Very noticeable in quiet parts of a movie. When I get some time I may try building a box around projector allowing for good airflow.
post #97 of 138 Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
pics from camera phone no bad at all for a budget projector
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #98 of 138 Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 PM

This is probably a question that will go unanswered but is there anyone out there that would share their calibration for their Acer H7531D projector. I know professional calibration is expensive but I was hoping that a regular user that knows what their doing wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks

This will be used mostly for Movies and a few football games.
post #99 of 138 Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As for a calibration that would tough based on screen and so fourth but heres mine on a Mac Pro gamma set to 3.4 on the video card

Da-lite Hi power 2.4 gain screen LAMP ON ECO
USER
CONTRAST 50
BRIGHTNESS 33
COLOR TEMP 1
DEGAMMA 3
DYNAMIC BLACK MIDDLE
SHARPNESS 8
BRILLIANT COLOR ON
RED SET TO 109
BLUE TO 115
ALL OTHERS SET TO 100
SKIN COLOR 1

I am very happy with the current setup but there are alot of varibles to rooms ect. I am in a blacked out bat cave The picture were even better in person but not bad for a Motorola Photon phone.

Will give some insight compared to a JVC RS2 I just bought for 1400.00 630 hours on the 1st lamp,with a new lamp and ceiling mount also included. If all goes well my kids will use the Acer and me the JVC for movies.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #100 of 138 Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Thank you on the calibration information. I have a 123 inch screen that I framed and painted on my basement wall. I am also working out of a panasonic bluray player. I got to tell you that the blu ray dispicable me is unbelievable.
post #101 of 138 Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad to here your happy with the image the Acer throws post a screenshot if you can!

post #102 of 138 Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM

I have just under 100 hours on my H7531D now. I played a little with the settings, mainly to turn off the noisey auto iris. It's off now. I turned down the contrast some and turned up the brightness. The blacks aren't as good now, but now the projector is finally quiet. The auto iris on this projector is really bad. It's not only noisey, but it's too slow to adjust. I'm thrilled with the rest of the projector. I wonder if more expensive projectors do a better job with the auto iris? I was looking at the Benq W6000, but at more than twice the cost, I got the Acer.

--Anon.

post #103 of 138 Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

I have just under 100 hours on my H7531D now. I played a little with the settings, mainly to turn off the noisey auto iris. It's off now. I turned down the contrast some and turned up the brightness. The blacks aren't as good now, but now the projector is finally quiet. The auto iris on this projector is really bad. It's not only noisey, but it's too slow to adjust. I'm thrilled with the rest of the projector. I wonder if more expensive projectors do a better job with the auto iris? I was looking at the Benq W6000, but at more than twice the cost, I got the Acer.

The iris on middle is not that bad and if you go into the service menu it
gets better. Most projectors are not calibrated right or wrong screen for there particular enviroment.

post #104 of 138 Old 11-25-2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks to this thread (my only research on hectic day), I purchased ACER 7531DR from newegg.com today. My next steps are to get a screen, receiver and speaker systems. Any suggestions on what would be ideal combination. I will be putting it up in attic space where there will be a window just behind the screen. Need to figure out a way to take care of it. Space is 30feet * 12 feet. I do not want to spend more than 1000 bucks on these three.
post #105 of 138 Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh123 View Post

Thanks to this thread (my only research on hectic day), I purchased ACER 7531DR from newegg.com today. My next steps are to get a screen, receiver and speaker systems. Any suggestions on what would be ideal combination. I will be putting it up in attic space where there will be a window just behind the screen. Need to figure out a way to take care of it. Space is 30feet * 12 feet. I do not want to spend more than 1000 bucks on these three.

$1000 is really at the low end to get all of this. You can DIY a screen for $100-$150, leaving you with about $900. BIC PL-200 is a great powered sub for around $280. A mediocre receiver will be $200-$400, not leaving much for the rest of your speakers. You'd be better off to get the things you want and over time build it up, rather than buy junk that you are not happy with.

--Anon.

post #106 of 138 Old 11-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks Jeffrey. On second thoughts, I will move my number up to 1500. What will in general be the choices for screen that I should look at esp with DLP projector
post #107 of 138 Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks Jeffrey. On second thoughts, I will move my number up to 1500. What will in general be the choices for screen that I should look at esp with DLP projector

I consider myself an Audiophile on a budget. I love great sound, but look for the deal too.

Here's what I've done.

Projector: Acer H7531D $750
Screen: DIY with 1.0 screen fabric from Ebay. I spent around $125 to make it myself
Receiver: B&K AVR507. A $3500 receiver purchased used on Ebay for about $500. Great receiver!
Speakers: BIC America PL-89 x 3 for the front, FH-8W x 4 for surround $869 shipped to my door.
Subwoofer: BIC PL-200 $280 shipped to my door.

This is a killer system and I've got about $2524 in the whole system. Minus the projector this is still $1774, so that's getting close to your new goal.

My system is 7.1. If you are doing 5.1 you'll need less speakers than I have. Also, consider using a higher gain screen if you are not in a light controlled room. I'm in a dark dedicated home theater, so gain of 1.0 is fine.

Have fun and don't get something like a home theater in a box. You'll be wasting your money. If you don't follow any of my advice, at least get the PL-200 sub. That thing is awesome!!!

--Anon.

post #108 of 138 Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 AM

Thanks Jeffrey once again. Which are the websites u suggest I monitor see good deals on these items. I am new to this world and had been relying on amazon, newegg etc.

Other- any suggestions.
post #109 of 138 Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks Jeffrey once again. Which are the websites u suggest I monitor see good deals on these items. I am new to this world and had been relying on amazon, newegg etc.

Other- any suggestions.

Ebay for your screen material.
Lowes for your building materials.
Acousicsounddesign for your speakers. (see AVS for advice on making offers on BIC speakers. Their advertised prices on Ebay or website are not what they charge)

--Anon.

post #110 of 138 Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Liked: 12
Well jumped in and purchased one from Newegg today. Last day for a $100 promo code on it which brings it below the $700 level.
post #111 of 138 Old 11-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Same here, just bought from Newegg today. I was able to get in on the Google Offers $40 Newegg GC for $20 earlier today, so that saved another $20. This will be my first projector, and I'm upgrading from an old 720P JVC projection TV, so this should be a big upgrade. Also got the Elite 100" Sable screen from Newegg. The screen was $20 cheaper at Amazon but they sold out as I was ordering it.
post #112 of 138 Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM

This thing keeps dropping in price. I had been watching the price for quite awhile earlier in the fall. Newegg had it for $850, which was the lowest price I'd seen, and then they offered $100 off. I got mine on 10/18/2011 for $750. Now it's $800 with $100 off? I'm glad I hurried and bought it before the price came down.

I'm still very happy with the projector, but still disappointed with the noisey auto iris. Better now that I shut it off.

Some have said they have gone into the service features and did some tweaking. Anyone want to comment on what you did to get the best blacks with the auto iris turned off?

--Anon.

post #113 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM

hi i just bought this projector and i am really impressed by its performance.

question for the experts here: which ceiling mount is compatible with this projector? i searched all over the web to no avail. the user manual simply say "use only acer ceiling mount kit". if i buy an universal mount, where do i get the special screws?

thanks in advance!
post #114 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cren888 View Post

question for the experts here: which ceiling mount is compatible with this projector? i searched all over the web to no avail. the user manual simply say "use only acer ceiling mount kit". if i buy an universal mount, where do i get the special screws?

thanks in advance!

I ordered my screws on Ebay. I had a custom mount for my Mitsubishi HD-1000 and I just drilled new holes in the plate to match the new hole pattern. With the spacers I had, the screws were a little too short. I had to cut my spacers in half to make the screws work. You may want longer screws than the owners manual recommends. The problem with the owner's manual, is it doesn't give the appropriate dimensions for the hole pattern. I took a small piece of plexiglass and used a sharpie to get the hole pattern. I then transferred this pattern to my metal plate.

Good luck. I would think any adjustable univeral mount would work. Acer just wants you to buy theirs. I ordered the correct metric screws, but they didn't seem to fit well. It almost felt like it was cross threading, but they have held fine.

--Anon.

post #115 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workindev View Post

Same here, just bought from Newegg today. I was able to get in on the Google Offers $40 Newegg GC for $20 earlier today, so that saved another $20. This will be my first projector, and I'm upgrading from an old 720P JVC projection TV, so this should be a big upgrade. Also got the Elite 100" Sable screen from Newegg. The screen was $20 cheaper at Amazon but they sold out as I was ordering it.

I am looking at 100" FAVE screen on amazon. Any comments/ experience with that brand
post #116 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cren888 View Post

thanks in advance!

I purchased the Rosewill projector mount RPM-MP0010 that was available as a bundle from newegg. I assumed that if newegg is bundling it together, it should work with it anyway. Hope it does.
post #117 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I ordered my screws on Ebay. I had a custom mount for my Mitsubishi HD-1000 and I just drilled new holes in the plate to match the new hole pattern. With the spacers I had, the screws were a little too short. I had to cut my spacers in half to make the screws work. You may want longer screws than the owners manual recommends. The problem with the owner's manual, is it doesn't give the appropriate dimensions for the hole pattern. I took a small piece of plexiglass and used a sharpie to get the hole pattern. I then transferred this pattern to my metal plate.

Good luck. I would think any adjustable univeral mount would work. Acer just wants you to buy theirs. I ordered the correct metric screws, but they didn't seem to fit well. It almost felt like it was cross threading, but they have held fine.

appreciate the info. call me picky but i am upset about acer's user manual, which states "use only acer ceiling mount kit", yet no such a thing exists or money can buy. their customer service sucks big time as well.
post #118 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I purchased the Rosewill projector mount RPM-MP0010 that was available as a bundle from newegg. I assumed that if newegg is bundling it together, it should work with it anyway. Hope it does.

thanks. i read the reviews for this mount and seems it doesn't come with the right screws for the acer. i ended up buying the videosecu mount from amazon. fingers crossed it will work.
post #119 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Screens are not what I know the best, but IMO if you are getting a 1.0 gain screen, you don't need to spend a lot of money. Screens can be outrageous. I have a 120 inch DIY screen that I have about $100 invested and I'm perfectly happy with it.

--Anon.

post #120 of 138 Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Screens are not what I know the best, but IMO if you are getting a 1.0 gain screen, you don't need to spend a lot of money. Screens can be outrageous. I have a 120 inch DIY screen that I have about $100 invested and I'm perfectly happy with it.

In my case, I have a window at the spot where I will need to put my screen- so fixed frame DIY will not work for me. Thus I am looking at this 100" electric projector screen at amazon which is avlbl for $166 shipped.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page