Screen Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My uncle wants me to help him update his aging home theater. He currently has a Sony CRT projector (can't recall the model number, but it was a mid range model from the mid to late 1990's) and a Stewart screen. I also do not know the exact model number of the screen, but I know it has what would have been a suitable gain for a CRT projector in a completely light controlled basement. Is the conventional thinking that the screen needs to be replacemed when moving to a digital projector, or will his current screen be satisfactory? Again, there is very little ambient light.

Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da View Post

My uncle wants me to help him update his aging home theater. He currently has a Sony CRT projector (can't recall the model number, but it was a mid range model from the mid to late 1990's) and a Stewart screen. I also do not know the exact model number of the screen, but I know it has what would have been a suitable gain for a CRT projector in a completely light controlled basement. Is the conventional thinking that the screen needs to be replacemed when moving to a digital projector, or will his current screen be satisfactory? Again, there is very little ambient light.

Thanks for the feedback!

Any way you can get the serial number of the screen? i can tell you where it's at depending on whether it's fixed or motorized. Then i can take that info and get the screen details.

More than likely it will be a 2.0 or 1.8 gain. Those two were very popular matches with CRT's back in the 90's. If so, i'd recommend you buy a new skin for the existing parts.

Benito
post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Any way you can get the serial number of the screen? i can tell you where it's at depending on whether it's fixed or motorized. Then i can take that info and get the screen details.

More than likely it will be a 2.0 or 1.8 gain. Those two were very popular matches with CRT's back in the 90's. If so, i'd recommend you buy a new skin for the existing parts.

Benito

We don't live in the same city, but I will ask him to get the details.

How big of a difference would a new skin provide? Also what it involved in installing a new skin? Is it a DIY project?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

The screen is:

Stewart Videomatte 200
Serial Number: 98SF25641125
58" x 102"
post #5 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping an old question from last year. Is Sterwart Videomatte 200 an acceptable material for today's digital 3d PJs? Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 174
No idea, but here is what I would do.
Set up the new projector on a table and try it out before you mount it on the ceiling, if that is where it is going.

Then go from there..

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page