Setting up new media room - 65" LED TV or Projector? Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a new home, complete with a media room (20 x 20) which is pre-wired for a projector and speakers. My husband contends that a projector wouldn't come close to the quality of a TV and is pushing for a TV. I, on the other hand, want the cinema experience and a projector, but only if the quality is going to be great!

How do they compare? I'm a newbie at this (do have a background in video though) but not up to date with the latest in projectors, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Liked: 13
A good projector and screen can get very close to the image of a TV. But no TV can give you the cinema experience that a projector can. The decision to go projector vs TV has a lot to do with the room. Can the room be made dark? If so then I would go for a projector. What will you be using the projector/TV mainly for, movies, sports, HDTV or all three?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You'll need a TV for daytime use..so my suggestion is do both.......TV for daytime viewing....screen that comes down in front of TV for the projector at night.....Only way to get that cinema experience is with a projector......Quality of a projector at night is very close to that of a TV, but like everything budget is gonna make a difference.....
post #4 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM

I just purchased an Epson 8350 for my living room set up which I had previously a 61" Samsung LED DLP as the primary television. Go with the projector no matter what. Nothing compares to the experience of (at my house at least, you could probably get more inches) the 106" screen versus the 61".

And probably not the most ethical option, but since Best Buy got rid of restocking fees, find one with an Epson 8350 and a 65" LED LCD and, if you have a truck, load it up and give it a shot yourself.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well, I bought a 60" 1080p 3D Ready HDTV last year, used it for a bit and went right back to front projection with my 720p projector. The TV is now unused and in my room never being touched. The quality is very close. The difference is that on the bigger screen you see more details that are harder to see on a smaller screen and you get a much more cinema like experience. Front projection takes up more of your field of image yielding a more cinematic immersive experience.

From my under $500 720p projector I got on Ebay (Images are even better in person):

I've been a projector guy since about 2002. Will never go back until affordable TVs are in the 110" range. Considering I've seen TVs that size in the $50,000-$100,000 range I'd say that will be awhile.

One option is the upcoming 92" Mitsubishi 1080p 3D Ready HDTV coming out soon. It's about $6,000. For some 92" is a good front projection size, but for me I like at least around 110".

What is your budget? The JVC projectors will beat pretty much every TV out there due to its higher native contrast.

One thing though is that front projection requires a dim/dark room.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM

I agree with the above posters.. A 65" LED will cost you a pretty penny, though the quality will likely be outstanding. You're trading a slight image quality advantage for a much more immersive experience in my opinion.

With a room of 20x20, assuming you have light control, it'd be a no brainer for me.. I'd go PJ every time, especially with that budget. You'd get a good PJ, decent sound system, some shades/blackout curtains and a decent screen and probably be around the same price of the TV (just a guess.. not certain what your budget is).
post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Great answers, and all leaning in the direction I really want to go in myself!
We actually have a Media room that was built to be a home theater so there are no windows or light issues to deal with during the day. Is the Epson the best projector right now for the money? We did have one company give us a proposal that included a Mitsubishi HC6800 projector and a 103" Elegante screen, a denon receiver, a velodyne subwoofer, and we have our own klipsch speakers. Its hard to know where to start, we want to get the best quality but don't want to spend more than $5k total (the only speakers we need is the subwoofer).
post #8 of 12 Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Depending on how he room is arranged I recommend a screen at least 96in wide to allow a 120in diagonal image. My personal preference it to have a screen like most commercial theaters - very wide BUT ALSO very tall. This allows a lot of image adjustment flexibility depending on what you are watching. I like a lot of different aspect ratio content - 4:3 (old tv), 3:3 (old "classic" films), 16:9 (wider - N. America HDTV standard) and also the really wide movies and a screen "wall" works best for us.

TV? Can't deliver a "at the movies" home experience - got to have a projector and screen. There are a lot of things you will want to watch on a television with the lights on - the news and other tv type stuff BUT you will want to dim the lights and light up the wall screen when it's Home Theater time.

We use a simple wall shelf for our projector which throws across a 17ft wide room to a wall screen and it is awesome!
Best of Luck
post #9 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM

I am also building a new media room and trying to decide. I used to live with buddy who had projector and it was HD, but fan was loud and bulb cost a buttload to replace. Plus, even with darkout conditions it was not nearly as good a picture as my current 1080p LCD, not as bright and contrast not as good. I love the idea of a big screen TV 70+ inches over a projector. CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE! please.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by therick83 View Post

I am also building a new media room and trying to decide. I used to live with buddy who had projector and it was HD, but fan was loud and bulb cost a buttload to replace. Plus, even with darkout conditions it was not nearly as good a picture as my current 1080p LCD, not as bright and contrast not as good. I love the idea of a big screen TV 70+ inches over a projector. CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE! please.

Have a look at the new Panasonic AR100 1080p projector. It's a "light cannon" as they say, such that you can get great picture quality even with plenty of ambient light in the room. Several people have reported friends and family (probably not AV-philes) looking at the image and thinking it was a flat-panel direct-view display.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I love the idea of a big screen TV 70+ inches over a projector. CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE! please.

I don't think anyone should be convinced, do your homework. Or just join Costco and buy yourself the Sharp Aquos 70". I saw it in the store, quite impressive for $2500.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #12 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Here's some perspective for both you and the OP: I too am planning the build of a new media room in my soon to be finished new construction home. Going with a projector isn't even a question. My only concern at this point is that my originally planned 120" screen is going to be TOO SMALL. So I'm changing things around to make room for ~135". That would be almost 4 of your 70" LED/LCDs stacked together 2x2! And I don't know what projector your roommate had or if it was 1992 when you saw it, but most modern projectors with decent light control best any 1080p LCDs out there, IMO. Had you said plasma maybe then we could take that comment seriously.

I won't try to convince you further, but as any projector owner on this forum will tell you, there is no comparison. A 65-70" will seem tiny compared to what is possible with a projector setup, and there is no turning back once you go that route.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page