Question about mounting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on back wall mounting an Epson 8350 and shooting it onto a 106 inch screen.

I have a glaring problem that I can fix if needed, but was wondering if there was a work around.

The back wall is about 12 feet from the screen... but there is a ceiling fan hanging from the middle of the room.

My question is... how low must I mount the projector to clear the fan? Is this even possible?

I have no problem taking the fan out and putting a different light in there, but I'd rather not. The room doesn't get much air and we haven't added air conditioning to the room just yet. The fan would be a welcome help if I can shoot underneath it.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The best answer is trial and error. Try it by holding the pj or putting it on a shelf etc and see how low it would have to be.

The next question is what type of screen do you have i.e. retro reflective or angular? Angular you want the pj as close to the top or bottom of the screen. retro you want it centered. Dalite HP is retro. Elite is angular.

DO a search there are some good threads about the screens.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting an elite ezframe. I was hoping to mount it on a shelf about 2 feet under the fan.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

All I can share is our personal experience. Our first viewing area was 13ft across - net throw 11.5ft - ceiling height 8 ft with a ceiling fan exactly between the PJ and screen.

Part of answer depends on how low the fan hangs. Since our ceiling was only 8ft our fan was one of those with short drop but it did have a light fixture under the fan motor.

There was no problem what so ever. Our projector a Panny with GREAT optical lens shift capacity - we shelf mounted the PJ about 60 inches off the floor with fixed wall screen against the ceiling and the fan never blocked the projected image.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and made make-shift free standing shelf that has four blocks of wood underneath. I will start with the highest, which is 62 inches and then take the blocks out until the projector hits without any problems... after that I will actually build the shelf.

With just a fan in the way, is there any reason for me NOT to mount the shelf in the middle of the screen? I know the espon has great lens shift, but they work against each other H and V... I figure the closer to the center of the screen I get, the more Vertical shift I can use instead of horizontal.

It makes sense in my head, but I don't know.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page