Official Mitsubishi hc4000 ONLY Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #361 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question on this PJ.....does it offer any picture in picture function?

ie watching 2 football games at once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhed View Post

Quick question on this PJ.....does it offer any picture in picture function?

ie watching 2 football games at once

Not that I am aware of, I think the Benqs do that though....although I prefer the mits

War Eagle!!!
post #363 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

It comes down to screen size. Samples might look good, but what size will you be using?

Don't forget to take into account lamp dimming as it ages.

I thought about the lamp dimming over time which was a concern I had going with a .8 gain screen.

As far as screen size, I'm looking at anything between 92-100" diag at this point with about a 10.5' - 11' throw distance. I'd go bigger if I could, but I've got a set of large bookshelf speakers as my mains that I've set up away from the corners to help them "breathe" so that limits the space I have between them. I could project above them, but that would be too high unless I had a riser for my seats.
post #364 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

I think this may well be my next projector, but we'll see what's available by the time I need to buy.

I currently have an HC3100 which I purchased from an import company. I think I got this one instead of the 3000 because it has the better DLP chip, but I don't remember for sure. All I know is it has served me very well.

But now the bulb is starting to get dim. So I figure I can either spend 300-400 more on a new bulb, or I can spend 800 or so more and finally join the world of full HD. If the HC4000's black levels are at least as good as the 3100, I'll be a happy camper.

The HC3100 was a HC3000 with the better DC3 chip. We never got that model here in the U.S.

The HC3100 should have a manual iris. The HC4000 doesn't. That and the fact your lamp is old/dim means you probably won't get better black levels with a new HC4000, especially if you have the iris stopped down from fully open. In fact, it could be worse until the lamp ages in (dims from 'new').

Though you will get 1080p and a better lens. Probably brighter too.
post #365 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

Not that I am aware of, I think the Benqs do that though....although I prefer the mits

Alright, convince me on the Mits ....because I really am on the fence between the 2. The advantages I have read of the Benq W6000 are the dynamic iris and better blacks, and pic in pic...some have complained about the iris noise it makes when adjusting.

The Mits seems very strong....not excellent black but pretty darn good.
No pic and pic, but excellent bulb life and low noise. I could easily pull the trigger on the Mits and use the extra $$$$ else where.

My screen is 80" low gain gray, so I don't know how much more actual picture "pop" the w6000 will give me....Either PJ will be ceiling mounted.

Thoughts....
post #366 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My screen is 80" low gain gray, so I don't know how much more actual picture "pop" the w6000 will give me....Either PJ will be ceiling mounted.

Thoughts....

The W6000 is to big (actually is HUGE) and bright for that screen IMO.

If you have a HUGE screen, the W6000 is the way to go.

I run a 80" .9 gray screen on my HC3800.
post #367 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:

The W6000 is to big (actually is HUGE) and bright for that screen IMO.

If you have a HUGE screen, the W6000 is the way to go.

I run a 80" .9 gray screen on my HC3800.

When you say too big....do you mean too much projector for too little of a viewing surface...and any picture quality gains in the w6000 vs. Mits would be minimal? thx
post #368 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright, convince me on the Mits ....because I really am on the fence between the 2. The advantages I have read of the Benq W6000 are the dynamic iris and better blacks, and pic in pic...some have complained about the iris noise it makes when adjusting.

The Mits seems very strong....not excellent black but pretty darn good.
No pic and pic, but excellent bulb life and low noise. I could easily pull the trigger on the Mits and use the extra $$$$ else where.

Thoughts....

Why 80", you should always go bigger ...but i digress, so I actually went down the benq w6000 and I couldn't put up with the audible IRIS noise, I was dealing with refurbs but I went through 4 of them and the Iris just bothered me due to the audible noise ( made a high pitch noise everytime it operated)...so I changed and went with the mits, both have great sharpness and pop, the Benq w6000 is much brighter but since you are going with an 80" screen thats would be wasted, the other advantage for the Benq is the blacks due to the iris (if you get a quiet one, etc)..the benq also has some lens shift, not great but does have some...the mits has no lens shift and has a large offset, so you need to make sure you have high enough ceilings to go with the mits, but if you are going with a 80" screen that probably isn't a concern...the mits has going for it, a better warranty 2yr vs 1 for the Benq, better bulb life, 5000hrs vs 3000hrs for the Benq...so I search for my postings under my username and you will see lots of pictures that I have taken of the Mits...the blacks are the weakness but they are very good, and for about 1K it's a steal...I watch a lot of dark movies, just finished up watching underworld...never bothered me in the least, I also have a grey screen and I think that helps...also be sure to read about the pip on the Benq, they use to have some limitation as to inputs that could be used etc....

War Eagle!!!
post #369 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks Bishop....the only reason I went with the 80" screen size is room size is limited. I could see the iris noise of the BenQ bugging the ____ out of me, due I tend to notice things like that.

What is an amorphic lens...is this an upgrades lens theat the Mits and many PJs can accept...?
post #370 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Bishop....the only reason I went with the 80" screen size is room size is limited. I could see the iris noise of the BenQ bugging the ____ out of me, due I tend to notice things like that.

What is an amorphic lens...is this an upgrades lens theat the Mits and many PJs can accept...?

Anamorphic lens are for folks wanting to go with a moive 2.35 scope setup, basically the lens shrinks the image back to the correct aspect ratio..typically they are expensive, in fact usually more than the mits cost...usually involve motorized sleds etc...however the mits is fully capable and I should have listed this a a pro for the mits, it can do a CIH 2.35 setup which then allows you to use a 2.35 screen and hit the aspect button to change to 16:9....but I think at your throw distance you will not want to go 2.35...most of those are big screens...

War Eagle!!!
post #371 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Alright....after wearing down the boss at home, I just received the clearance to order the Mits, so I expect to be frequenting this forum quite a bit.

Projector People have it for 1175.00 and I can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Thansk for all the info. and I expect the PJ to blow awat the Dell 1100 projector I have table mounted for the time being....
post #372 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright....after wearing down the boss at home, I just received the clearance to order the Mits, so I expect to be frequenting this forum quite a bit.

Projector People have it for 1175.00 and I can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Thansk for all the info. and I expect the PJ to blow awat the Dell 1100 projector I have table mounted for the time being....

Look on the previous page someone mentioned they had found it for $1082...the boss, lol too true

War Eagle!!!
post #373 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSSD View Post

The HC4000 is on sale at Electronics Expo for $1082 right now with code LSDA0525

Not sure if they are authorized dealers but I'm sure you can look that up...

Looks like they are listed as an authorized dealer for the TV's - http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/OnlineRetailers.html

Uhh yeah, if your not blown away by the mits i'd be surprised, how high are your ceilings, might want to run them through the calculator and make sure it will work for you before ordering...http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/bu...s/prjcalc.html

War Eagle!!!
post #374 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
On sale at Newegg again for 1150. Promocode EMCKDKG26
post #375 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I'm pretty confident in stating that the Mits will do SLIGHTLY better skin tones after calibration than a Benq, pretty much guarantee it. The only projector I've seen give Mits a run for the money on skin tones was the Sony vw70, but even then I still slightly preferred the Mits skin tones.

I am a tad bit tempted to grab the recertified Sharp 15000 at newegg, but something keeps stopping me, mostly it's Art's review. He said it would be a great "first owner" projector, statements like that make me wonder. Plus it's a non-returnable item / replacement only.

You know I'm tired of reviews not comparing a projector to others. I am personally finding reviews that don't compare projectors pretty much worthless.
If you think about it, every review should just be a TRI-SHOOTOUT.

You'd think for someone as RBE sensitive as me that loves DLP, the Sharp might be a good deal (it is one of the least producing RBE projectors), but I bet it lacks POP, who knows. If it really has only 1500:1 native contrast, that would not be good. Several people have said the RBE effect is almost non-existent on that projector though.

I'm still probably going to get the Mits again though. I'm most likely waiting until the end of the month after I move.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #376 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I'm pretty confident in stating that the Mits will do SLIGHTLY better skin tones after calibration than a Benq, pretty much guarantee it. The only projector I've seen give Mits a run for the money on skin tones was the Sony vw70, but even then I still slightly preferred the Mits skin tones.

I am a tad bit tempted to grab the recertified Sharp 15000 at newegg, but something keeps stopping me, mostly it's Art's review. He said it would be a great "first owner" projector, statements like that make me wonder. Plus it's a non-returnable item / replacement only.

You know I'm tired of reviews not comparing a projector to others. I am personally finding reviews that don't compare projectors pretty much worthless.
If you think about it, every review should just be a TRI-SHOOTOUT.

You'd think for someone as RBE sensitive as me that loves DLP, the Sharp might be a good deal (it is one of the least producing RBE projectors), but I bet it lacks POP, who knows. If it really has only 1500:1 native contrast, that would not be good. Several people have said the RBE effect is almost non-existent on that projector though.

I'm still probably going to get the Mits again though. I'm most likely waiting until the end of the month after I move.

Coder I always told you should go with the 15000, I think the 5x color wheel would help almost eliminate the RBE...and I think it would get you the DLP look and feel, the only downside that I saw was that it's not as bright, if I recall correctly...

War Eagle!!!
post #377 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Art kind of dislikes it though, lol. So far I have found that when Art points out flaws, he generally goes TOO EASY on the flaw, his reviews are good as long as you read into them when he says things like "average" or "not bad", which really means "almost pothetic". If I lost all the POP on the Mits and gained darker blacks from the Sharp, then I'd probably prefer the Sanyo over the Sharp, the Sanyo has much better blacks than even the Sharp does.

The Sharp has only about half the ANSI contrast of a Mits, known to have more problems, recert has 90 day warranty, and the lamps don't last nearly as long. The native contrast is POSSIBLY very questionable on it. If I could see one first, that would help, but no one is going to have one of those on display.

It also has fairly dirty and uncalibrateable dynamic modes, the 350 lumen best mode it gives is on LAMP HIGH (ouch).

If the Native Contrast were up to the Mits, I'd definitely do it despite the other short comings, but without a return policy, I could end up hating the projector and wasting a $1000. Trying to sell it in the used market would be very hard I think.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #378 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Art kind of dislikes it though, lol. So far I have found that when Art points out flaws, he generally goes TOO EASY on the flaw, his reviews are good as long as you read into them when he says things like "average" or "not bad", which really means "almost pothetic".

It has only about half the ANSI contrast of a Mits, known to have more problems, recert has 90 day warranty, and the lamps don't last nearly as long. The native contrast is POSSIBLY very questionable on it. If I could see one first, that would help, but no one is going to have one of those on display.

It also has fairly dirty and uncalibrateable dynamic modes, the 350 lumen best mode it gives is on LAMP HIGH (ouch).

If the Native Contrast were up to the Mits, I'd definitely do it despite the other short comings, but without a return policy, I could end up hating the projector and wasting a $1000. Trying to sell it in the used market would be very hard I think.

Yeah I hear ya, I think Art referred t it as jykell and hyde....lol...it's hard to beat the mits at it's price point....

War Eagle!!!
post #379 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yup, I'm pretty sure I'd like the Sharp ok in its best mode, but I figure it'll only be watchable in that mode for 300-500 hours even with an HP screen. Judging from reviews, I'm pretty sure I'll hate its other modes, they are noisy.

I am a very heavy user (projectors are like crack to me), so I burn lamps out all day. I just leave the PJ on almost 10 hours a day, lol bad habit.

post #380 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Senor Flea, I keep meaning to ask you how many hours you have on your 3800...and how much brightness has dropped off....I keep meaning to get me a light meter I kind of want to keep track of the lamp...

War Eagle!!!
post #381 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

Hey Senor Flea, I keep meaning to ask you how many hours you have on your 3800...and how much brightness has dropped off....I keep meaning to get me a light meter I kind of want to keep track of the lamp...

Don't have a light meter. And only about 200 something hrs on the 3800. Guess I spend too much time here

But I haven't noticed any brightness loss. Blacks seem a little better. Could all be my imagination, but I should have better blacks and less brightness as typical after a couple hundred hrs.

Actually, I watch most TV stuff on, well, my Sharp LED LCD flatscreen. I tend to fire up the 3800 only for movies (blu rays). For the last year I've been trying to purge my DVR of recordings so I can trade it in for a bigger hard drive DVR, but it seems like a lost cause.......
post #382 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't have a light meter. And only about 200 something hrs on the 3800. Guess I spend too much time here

Actually, I watch most TV stuff on, well, my Sharp LED LCD flatscreen. I tend to fire up the 3800 only for movies (blu rays). For the last year I've been trying to purge my DVR of recordings so I can trade it in for a bigger hard drive DVR, but it seems like a lost cause.......

Wow, after all this time only 200 hours, I feel almost shameful for my usage.

I will say this, there is some brightness loss on an hc4000 between 0 hours and 50 hours, and between 50 hours and 200 hours, but I'd say I noticed the most loss between 200 hours and 400 hours, still it wasn't as significant as most projectors I've seen. I didn't measure it, but expect about 15% to 30% lamp loss at 500 hours.

post #383 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, in regards to my zoom and lens shift, I am designing the alpha version of the remote zoom based on this controller board.
http://www.netduino.com/netduino/

Here is one thing I've seen people do with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymWV...layer_embedded

Note the above video is messed up, you'll have to click past the initial start position to like 1/4 into the video before it will work (at least in my browser).
The above is far more than I have to do, all I'm doing is moving the zoom dial for now, also trying to make a design not be an eye sore is a bit difficult.

Some people did crazy stuff with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KGc...embedded#at=57

Pretty funny.

post #384 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does the LCD LED compare to a Plasma (you know I really should make a trip to Fry's TV section, it's been years since I even bothered)...

I needed a small TV since my viewing distance is short. I have a 32" Sharp LE700 LCD LED. It (was) their top of the line model (at the time) and only sharp (& maybe LG) offered a premium top of the line model in that small of a size. It has a high native contrast (for a LCD panel).

Plasma is out of the question for me as there is no plasma in that size.
Other reasons I didn't wanna do plasma (vs. LED LCD)>
>power drain
>heat
>not as bright (they don't do as well in bright daytime rooms)
>blacks tend to get worse over time (though that seems to be manufacture/model dependent).

The advantages of plasma was mainly (to me)>
> better viewing angle
> better blacks (when you turn the lights off), at least when new.
But since I have a PJ for movie viewing, and I don't watch TV (flatpanel) with the lights outs, the blacks advantage was pretty much a moot point.

I need to purge my DVR of it's recordings before I can trade it in to TWC for a unit with a bigger drive. So that's how I spend most of my 'viewing', trying to watch/delete programs (but it's like 'whack a mole'!) and those programs I just watch on the LCD TV.
post #385 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What about just buying a giant drive and hooking it up to a bluray player that accepts external drives, or a cheap media player. I never messed with this kind of stuff much, as I just own regular bluray movies. An external RAID box that has an external USB interface might work as well with some stacked drives (if your just trying to gain tons of space).

I actully bought a firewire card for such purposes to get some stuff off a DVR, but never got around to it.

post #386 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about just buying a giant drive and hooking it up to a bluray player that accepts external drives, or a cheap media player.

The TWC DVR boxes aren't external drive capable....yet.

Anyway, this seems to be straying a bit OT for a 'HC4000 only' thread
post #387 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The earlier Scientifica Atlanta DVR boxes from TWC could be copied from using a firewire card, not sure about anymore, I think it's not possible anymore without opening it up (which I wouldn't do because you'll get in trouble probably).

post #388 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The earlier Scientifica Atlanta DVR boxes from TWC could be copied from using a firewire card, not sure about anymore, I think it's not possible anymore without opening it up (which I wouldn't do because you'll get in trouble probably).

We only have Moto boxes in my area.

Anyway, last post from me (I hope) on this. Wrong thread to continue
post #389 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's ok, I'm going to change my name from AVS Special Member to Mr. Off-Topic, I deserve the title anyhow.

post #390 of 2860 Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com