Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2860 Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

So here is the mits calculator, looks like you got it right..

So the shortest distance for a 92" screen is 110 and the max is 165..fleaman gave you all the details about position, I think mid zoom is usually the best compromise but you will be happy either way, keep in mind the calc also tells you how high your screen will be positioned for a 6" drop...bottom of screen will be about 36"...might be a little high, so you may want to extend the drop tube....you'll have to play around with that to see what you prefer...if you have any more questions let us know

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Generally>
> closer PJ is to screen, you'll get a little more lumens (worse blacks)
> further PJ is from screen, little less lumens, but better blacks
> middle range (so middle of the zoom), best part of the lens, so potentually better focus uniformity, less chromatic aberration.
> then there are the aesthetic reasons. Furthest mounting puts the PJ more out of the visual and audible range.

Ultimately most would not notice the difference in the image no matter how close or far you mount it, so I wouldn't fret over this too much

Thanks bishopt and fleaman for the valuable input for ceiling mounting my hc4000. Unfortunately no ship date yet and am patiently waiting for any info. Meanwhile just acting like a 'sponge' and trying to absorb as much information from you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2860 Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4g View Post

Thanks bishopt and fleaman for the valuable input for ceiling mounting my hc4000. Unfortunately no ship date yet and am patiently waiting for any info. Meanwhile just acting like a 'sponge' and trying to absorb as much information from you guys.

No problem, sometimes they just have lousy shipping info and it might have already shipped...here's hoping anyway....

War Eagle!!!
post #543 of 2860 Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbass View Post

I just saw this PJ after checking out the 8350 and a 9500ub. I wish I had not seen the HC4000 because the other 2 looked great till I saw the mits. I brought the same 2 movies to all 3 places, How to Train Your Dragon and Barraka. The image was so sharp and colors just flew off the screen. I also noticed the convergence issue on the 9500 that I have read about, was not visible on the 8350.

The other thing I noticed is the motion lag on the Mits was non existent, and the other 2 it was there, not much but I still saw it. I always liked DLP RPTVs over the LCD ones, is the tech in a lot of ways the same with front projection?

I have 7'2" ceilings so I think with the no lens shift mounting this PJ is not going to work. I wanted at least a 100" screen. If this wont work for me what is the best alternative to the HC4000 and how much more money am I going to need to spend?

I am new to projectors and am trying to be sure I make the right decision before spending what to me is a ton of cash. My hope is that Mits maybe announces a successor to this projector with lens shift in the coming months. By October my basement should be finished and I will be ready to make a purchase.

I did the mits calc for a 7' ceiling and a 2" drop tube, you can actually do this, the screen is 13" from the bottom of the floor but this is very doable....I didn't have the ceiling height and was close to what you are doing, I have to tilt my projector and have one or 2 clicks of keystone...I can't tell anything that it does to the image and it looks great...you can search on my userid I have lots and lots of pics and you can see for yourself, if you can see any distortion...the mits will be hard to beat at the price....

War Eagle!!!
post #544 of 2860 Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it appears that projector central did a <1500 projector shootout, came across it in another thread...thought I would post it here and also on the first page with this review and Art's.....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...80p_review.htm

They have the calibrated lumens way down, compared to the others but that is the only area that the HC4000 ranked lower on...they spoke highly of the mits but we already knew that...go figure

War Eagle!!!
post #545 of 2860 Old 06-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Checked the hours on my HC4000, 1080 hours... Have nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling about my choice so far... Guess I enjoy watching it more then typing about it NTTIAWWT
post #546 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahamay17 View Post

Checked the hours on my HC4000, 1080 hours... Have nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling about my choice so far... Guess I enjoy watching it more then typing about it NTTIAWWT

Thanks, I'd like to get hours folks have on their 3800/4000, I have ~320 on mine, and being summer the kids will rack a lot more hours up...

Not sure whether to start another thread up or just document in this thread but it would be interesting to capture mits bulb hours, since I think they probably have the best one out there...I still need to get me a light meter but mine appears just as bright, I know it's not but it hasn't dropped enough for me to perceive

War Eagle!!!
post #547 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
lx1330b for the light meter, it is only $35 or so from Amazon vendors...

Just to recap, had right about 400 hours on it, lumen loss was about 15% give or take. With a floor-mounted HP screen the 15% was quite visible because the difference was 2x as much when getting 2.0 gain.
Projector had checkerboard of death, so I returned it, will probably buy a new one eventually after I move. Checkerboard issue is rare, shouldn't detur anyone from buying.

Note:
Moving is a pain in my back (literally), as I'm in the middle of it.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #548 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

lx1330b for the light meter, it is only $35 or so from Amazon vendors...

snip...

Note:
Moving is a pain in my back (literally), as I'm in the middle of it.

Yeah looking at that one or the one below it....I'm to old/smart to do that again, I just hire someone...yeah it's still a pain but but not to my back

War Eagle!!!
post #549 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
On sale at Newegg again, 1125 with Promocode HCPRJCTR
post #550 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM

I am finding my HC4000 often takes quite some time to lock onto an HDMI signal. Whenever I change channels on my DirecTV HDVR or especially when I switch input sources I get quite a bit of flickering and momentary loss of HDMI signal. For example, if I change channels, it may very briefly show the new channel, then go to the blue screen/no signal screen for a few seconds, then maybe show a picture for a second, back to the blue screen for a couple seconds and then finally back to the picture. There have been a couple of times where it couldn't lock on and once where I had to turn everything off and back on. On the other hand, I occasionally change channels and it immediately goes to the new channel.

Is this pretty typical with an all HDMI/projector setup or does it sound like I could have an issue somewhere? Is there any chance that all the flickering and the losing and regaining of the lock on the signal could cause damage to shorten the life of the projector?

Thanks,

Matt
post #551 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

I am finding my HC4000 often takes quite some time to lock onto an HDMI signal. Whenever I change channels on my DirecTV HDVR or especially when I switch input sources I get quite a bit of flickering and momentary loss of HDMI signal. For example, if I change channels, it may very briefly show the new channel, then go to the blue screen/no signal screen for a few seconds, then maybe show a picture for a second, back to the blue screen for a couple seconds and then finally back to the picture. There have been a couple of times where it couldn't lock on and once where I had to turn everything off and back on. On the other hand, I occasionally change channels and it immediately goes to the new channel.

Is this pretty typical with an all HDMI/projector setup or does it sound like I could have an issue somewhere? Is there any chance that all the flickering and the losing and regaining of the lock on the signal could cause damage to shorten the life of the projector?

Thanks,

Matt

Are u using any a/v receiver ?
post #552 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

Thanks,

Matt

So I think I may have the answer...so it depends on how you have your D*tv receiver set up, I have one too and while the Mits is a little slower than I've seen on some other sets it's not to bad and does not bother me...but I do not watch a lot of TV either. So here is what I think is happening, if you have your receiver setup to display all native formats, 480i vs 720P vs 1080i and they do have some 1080P movie channels but probably not what you are seeing...but if you have the D*TV receiver to pass whatever the native format is, eg, you have selected all formats to be passed, then what I think you are seeig is that when you go from say a 1080i channel to a 720P channel then that this is what takes longer than normal to lock back on since it is changing resolutions....when you see it lock on immediately my guess is that the 2 channels are sending the same format...just my best guess, if that is what it is there are ways around it via the D*TV receiver or you can handle it with a A/V receiver and always send the same resolution...and thereby the projector always sees the same input per se.
but then you are scaling and the picture may not be as good, but when watching TV may be acceptable...

Just a guess but I have seen what you are referring to but never bothered me enough to investigate further....

If you do figure it out, please post back so others can know how to correct it...

War Eagle!!!
post #553 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post
Are u using any a/v receiver ?
I am using a Marantz SR5003 as a preamp. Not sure how everything is set up as far as upscaling or sending the image native. I'll look into that when I get home. That was what I was thinking could be the problem, but I wasn't sure. The wait doesn't bother me too much, usually it isn't more than five seconds or so. I just wanted to make sure that this is not a defect and there is no chance that the frequent changing of sources/resolution won't cause premature wear to the projector. Still, it is a bit of an inconvenience and I wouldn't mind minimizing it as much as possible.

Thanks for the help - I'll report back when I get to the bottom of it.

Matt
post #554 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM

I am having an issue with the shape of the outline of the pic on the screen.
I have the pic almost perfect except the right side has a slightly larger gap between the end of the picture and screen on the bottom....than the top.
Basically, the pic is not a true rectangle....and keystone does not help.
Any ideas....or am I obsessing?
post #555 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhed View Post
I am having an issue with the shape of the outline of the pic on the screen.
I have the pic almost perfect except the right side has a slightly larger gap between the end of the picture and screen on the bottom....than the top.
Basically, the pic is not a true rectangle....and keystone does not help.
Any ideas....or am I obsessing?
its keystone just not the one that you can adjust for, what I am betting is that the screen and projector are not square, so make sure your projector is level front to back, side to side and then make sure that it is perpendicular to the screen, otherwise you will see what you are seeing...I have that too, mine is not perfect, maybe off a .25" to one side but not much...some other folks might have some tricks to getting it square to the image, I had the same issue but mine was more difficult since I also had some tilt that required keystone adjustment....

War Eagle!!!
post #556 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Hopefully the attached pic is a better description of my last post.....
LL
post #557 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post
On sale at Newegg again, 1125 with Promocode HCPRJCTR
Not listed on Newegg.ca...

Just heard a horror story on a warranty claim,
Guy from canada purchased a Mits 4000 south of the border and Mits Canada Didnt honour the claim because it was purchased in usa and not canada.
He was told if you buy it in the usa and as soon as it crosses the border warrenty becomes Void....

Really need to think it thru...
post #558 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
its keystone just not the one that you can adjust for, what I am betting is that the screen and projector are not square, so make sure your projector is level front to back, side to side and then make sure that it is perpendicular to the screen, otherwise you will see what you are seeing...I have that too, mine is not perfect, maybe off a .25" to one side but not much...some other folks might have some tricks to getting it square to the image, I had the same issue but mine was more difficult since I also had some tilt that required keystone adjustment....
When you make sure the projector is level...front to back, side to side, do you actually mean a small level placed on the PJ itself, or just "level" with the screen?
post #559 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
When you make sure the projector is level...front to back, side to side, do you actually mean a small level placed on the PJ itself, or just "level" with the screen?
You need to place the level on the projector,
I actually use 4 small levels that are 2 inches wide.
post #560 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post
You need to place the level on the projector,
I actually use 4 small levels that are 2 inches wide.
Yup...what fraisa said....thats the only way to be sure....

War Eagle!!!
post #561 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not listed on Newegg.ca...

Just heard a horror story on a warranty claim,
Guy from canada purchased a Mits 4000 south of the border and Mits Canada Didnt honour the claim because it was purchased in usa and not canada.
He was told if you buy it in the usa and as soon as it crosses the border warrenty becomes Void....

Really need to think it thru...
I'd call mits and double check...might be the case but I have found them easy in the past to work with....

War Eagle!!!
post #562 of 2860 Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'd call mits and double check...might be the case but I have found them easy in the past to work with....
If your in Canada you have to go thru Mits Canada for Warrenty,
and then when you tell them you got it in the usa,
Warrenty Immediatly becomes void...( thats for Any Mits Projector including the 4000)
Bottom line is if your north of the border get it north of the border and you wont have any issues....
post #563 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:

Yup...what fraisa said....thats the only way to be sure....

Gotcha. I was actually to get it pretty darn close without levels - around 1/4 of an inch from perfect - and while viewing I don't really notice.
I did discover it is much easier to adjust my mount with the ladder directly behind the PJ, rather than to the side. Applying pressure to the mount/PJ to one side makes getting it right very difficult (I would consider my mount difficult to work with but I am too cheap to buy another one right now).

I also got my 7.1 sound dialed in pretty close last night. I am assuming most of you all are audio nuts also with your HT rooms...
post #564 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gotcha. I was actually to get it pretty darn close without levels
...SNIP..

I also got my 7.1 sound dialed in pretty close last night. I am assuming most of you all are audio nuts also with your HT rooms...

Glad to hear...

...yeah at least I am

War Eagle!!!
post #565 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Hopefully the attached pic is a better description of my last post.....

From the pic it looks like you need to swivel your projector a bit to the right. It looks like the left side is larger overall than the right -- closer to the top and bottom of screen, which would indicate the projector is not aimed perpendicular to the screen but a little off axis to the left.
post #566 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM

Can some of you guys post some screen shots of your HC4000...
Thanks
post #567 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can some of you guys post some screen shots of your HC4000...
Thanks

Lets be clear do you want pics of the projector itself or pics of movies? If movies I have lots of them out there, do a search for my userid and you should come up with a bunch, curttard has some out there...I am also willing to take some pictures from other movies, if you have some particular ones that you want to see, name them and the particular scene that you might want...and i will see what I can do, fleaman also has some from his 3800, which is really close to the hc4000

Also..I came across one of your posts in the 8350 thread, I tend not to post there but I do read through some of them...I saw where you were thinking of leaning towards the 8350, did you see the latest projector central review...I linked to it earlier in the thread, I can understand if you are RBE sensitive or have severe installation issues, but if not the HC4000 is a MUCH better projector than the epson...as always just my opinion , but I think for it's price point the mits is the one beat...for the life of me I'm not sure who would buy one after reading through that thread....lots of issues..

War Eagle!!!
post #568 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

fleaman also has some from his 3800, which is really close to the hc4000

And these PJ's are so close, screenshots won't show the difference between them. In fact, screenshots come down to the skill of the photographer (& quality of the camera) more than the capability of the PJ.

But for fun, there is a screenshot thread in which I posted some pics, and others with the HC3800 (dgilliga02).

Some on this page>

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19808069

But just search 'dgilliga02', 'HC3800' in that thread and you'll come up with a lot of screenshots.

My screenshots are with a point and shoot, and even though I put it on a tripod (w/timer), I still couldn't get the shots as sharp and crisp as in person
post #569 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here are the pics I had taken of mine, keep in mind the color isn't accurate in the photos for most of them.

post #570 of 2860 Old 06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version