post #61 of 2857 Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

I would need the settings on the projector.
Thanks

Here ya go, this is my movie mode:

Gamma Mode - Cinema
Contrast - 20
Brightnes - 17
Color Temp - User (enter for advance menu)
Reference - Medium
Contrast R - -29
Contrast G - -34
righntrast B - -25
Brightness R - -7
Brightness G - -5
Brightness B - -2
Color - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 0
Brilliant Color - off
Advanced Menu (enter for advance settings)
Color management - ON (enter for advance settings)
Color RED
Gain - -5
all other settings default 0

I think that about covers it, I'm running in low lamp mode also...I think I still to play some more with the saturation of colors bunt need to download some more test patterns and haven't had time...once again this was my calibrated settings for a jamestown grey screen and using HCFR software

War Eagle!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2857 Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Liked: 10
After buying the HC4000 a few weeks ago, I have been very impressed with the picture quality. So far, I have used it for TV shows (DVR), Netflix streaming (via PS3), and Blu-ray movies (PS3).

I have it ceiling mounted - there is some light leakage directly towards the ceiling, but it does not bother me. Low lamp mode is very quiet. You can hear the fan increase speed when switched to Standard, but it is not "loud".

This was my first PJ purchase/installation. I had a lot of placement flexibility....If you don't, the fixed lens will probably be an issue for you.

My screen is a 106" Dragonfly, matte white. Easy assembly (although the instructions could be more clear).

Pro Mount UPR-PRO150 instructions were terrible. Didn't have the proper mounting screws for HC4000 (trip to hardware store).

Monoprice 50ft HDMI cable....pushes a 1080p signal without a problem.
post #63 of 2857 Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goebeljj View Post

After buying the HC4000 a few weeks ago, I have been very impressed with the picture quality. So far, I have used it for TV shows (DVR), Netflix streaming (via PS3), and Blu-ray movies (PS3).

I have it ceiling mounted - there is some light leakage directly towards the ceiling, but it does not bother me. Low lamp mode is very quiet. You can hear the fan increase speed when switched to Standard, but it is not "loud".

This was my first PJ purchase/installation. I had a lot of placement flexibility....If you don't, the fixed lens will probably be an issue for you.

My screen is a 106" Dragonfly, matte white. Easy assembly (although the instructions could be more clear).

Pro Mount UPR-PRO150 instructions were terrible. Didn't have the proper mounting screws for HC4000 (trip to hardware store).

Monoprice 50ft HDMI cable....pushes a 1080p signal without a problem.

Welcome and Congrats....I think you will like the mits more and more...

War Eagle!!!
post #64 of 2857 Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 AM

Hello guys! I'm very happy with my HC4000. It's now at 80Hrs used lamp and PQ is really great. Hope it will improve more when it run at 100hrs. However, it was the other night when I experience problem with my pj..it shows distorted video as shown on below pics. I turn it off for a while and turn it on again and its gone...back to normal.. now it happens often when I watch BD movie.

Anybody experience the same issue with thier HC4000? What would be the problem..btw, im using 35ft mono price hdmi cable.
Appreciate your inputs.
thanks
bullet

post #65 of 2857 Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yah, I had the same problem on mine, exactly the same.

I never tried very hard to fix my problem since I was not certain if I was keeping the PJ or not.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #66 of 2857 Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Yah, I had the same problem on mine, exactly the same. Another poster had the issue as well and he stated it was just the HDMI CABLE (get a new cable).
Basically I also think it's just the HDMI cable or the HDMI switch (usually the cable).
There is a cable length setting in the Mits menu somewhere (forgot where), and you can try adjusting that.

I never tried very hard to fix my problem since I was not certain if I was keeping the PJ or not.

If I had to guess from an electronics / cabling standpoint, it might be the OHMS being just slightly off on the thinner or longer cables, or it could be the cable is picking up some interference from nearby power cables (possibly EMI). That might explain why it happens randomly, but newer HDMI cables (and ones that are thicker and newer) are better insulated and have more capacity for keeping a singnal more uniform. Make sure to get one of the newer spec'd HDMI cables.

thanks coderguy. yah I'm thinking the same..HDMI problem. What I did is I changed my HDMI cable from 25ft to 35ft HDMI mono price brand but I still have the same issue. quite annoying since you have to turn it off and on.
post #67 of 2857 Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
That's the vertical checker-board line of death screen.

With the HC3800's it was never a hdmi cable or switcher problem, it was internal to the PJ. It was one of the main teething issues the HC3800 had in the beginning and it is strange that it has popped up a couple of times here on HC4000's.

FWIR, the poster who had the same issue with the HC4000 sent the unit in for an exchange/repair.

There were some cases in which it popped up on the early HC3800's a few times, then didn't come back until weeks (or months later). In the end, it always came back to bite. Usually this problem only gets worse.

Mits support has always gone forward to fix the issue with an exchange or repair of your unit, they've never mentioned that it was a HDMI cable or switcher issue.

And BTW, one of the early HC3800's I had developed this checkerboard issue early on. It only got worse and it showed up even on the Mits internal test screens (black, white, crosshatch), so that shouldn't have anything to do with hdmi handshaking, and I believe (though can't remember exactly), that it didn't go away when the hdmi cable was disconnected. Mits CS instantly sent out a exchange unit.

You need to call Mits CS and mention the checkerboard on-screen issue, they'll know what you're talking about. And you have pics to email them anyway....
post #68 of 2857 Old 05-09-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I thought another poster said it was his cable. I guess this entire time I've had a bad unit as well then, figures.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #69 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletred View Post

thanks coderguy. yah I'm thinking the same..HDMI problem. What I did is I changed my HDMI cable from 25ft to 35ft HDMI mono price brand but I still have the same issue. quite annoying since you have to turn it off and on.

Did you try changing the cable length in the service menu from 0-10m (default) to 10-20m?
post #70 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 AM

hey can someone take take a pic of white text on black background closeup... just to check convergence ?
post #71 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM

I have two of these and an hc3000 that's going up for sale. Mitsubishi makes a very nice unit. No disappointments here... I'll put up some screen shots once I fix my sf paint, it pushes blue at the moment.

HT NEWB
post #72 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokia445pro View Post

hey can someone take take a pic of white text on black background closeup... just to check convergence ?

Uh, there are no convergence issues, it's a single chip PJ so convergence is always perfect.

Maybe your asking about chromatic aberration? In that case it's gonna be different through out the screen area, usually worse towards the edges, better in the center.
post #73 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are worried about sharpness, this is definitely the projector to get.

Like Fleaman said, DLP's don't have convergence problems, for that matter the Mits hc4000 is a tad bit sharper than even last year's Mits hc3800 was according to reviewers.

I can only see Chromatic Abberation (which looks like convergence pixels off) if I floor mount, but when high-shelf mounted / ceiling mounted, I see none. It is probably just a variation in my projecting angle from the floor, not really an issue at all.

Otherwise if you mount it perfectly, it's pixel perfect as far as CA goes.

post #74 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

If you are worried about sharpness, this is definitely the projector to get.

Like Fleaman said, DLP's don't have convergence problems, for that matter the Mits hc4000 is a tad bit sharper than even last year's Mits hc3800 was according to reviewers.

I can only see Chromatic Abberation (which looks like convergence pixels off) if I floor mount, but when high-shelf mounted / ceiling mounted, I see none. It is probably just a variation in my projecting angle from the floor, not really an issue at all.

Otherwise if you mount it perfectly, it's pixel perfect as far as CA goes.

how does it fare in ambient light conditions. it has 1300 lumens. Looks like a conservative estimate for such a product.
post #75 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The HC4000 is about 500 lumens when calibrated to D65 and in low lamp for movies.

If you're going to use it mostly in ambient light conditions, no projector will work well, but if you must, I'd look at a business projector instead....
post #76 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Depends on screen size, most important for lumens is BEST MODE lumens, and how accurate a PJ maintains a NEAR BEST MODE lumens.
The Mits has one of the brightest BEST MODEs for projectors under $1500, the Benq w6000 is brighter for its best mode with more room to spare overall in a NEAR best mode.

Check out projector reviews for more info between different projectors TRUE LUMEN capabilities:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...alibration.php

I personally wouldn't want a business projector for HT use, ambient light or not. Several reasons here, one is that eventually you might not always have ambient light (maybe at night) or maybe you changed rooms. The problem with business projectors is that near the same cost as HT projectors, they produce what I would generally consider to be somewhere between a BAD image and a god awful image, but I am pretty picky.

PM me if you need a good place to buy an HP screen, I know a place that sells them dirt cheap.

If fighting ambient light is the BIGGEST concern, then I would get the Benq w6000 and shelf-mount it (it has lens shift) with an HP screen, you'll get a BEST MODE equivalent of 2000 lumens (should be stated in FTL, but too lazy to explain). The insane thing here is you can get a NEAR BEST mode with an HP screen and a BENQ of something ridiculous of the equivalent of like 2500 lumens or more. We're getting brighter than TV's at many screen sizes (depends how big your screen is).

Another alternative to fight ambient light and save some money and stick with the Mits is by using an HP screen and floor mounting the Mits hc4000, with this method you should be able to squeeze a VERY NEAR BEST MODE out of the Mits of the equivalent of 1200+ lumens with BC ON after a semi-tricky calibration to compensate the effects of BC's color shifts and gamma changes. However, the best way to fight ambient light will be to just BLOCK it out, so don't expect miracles with any projector fighting ambient light (it'll still look a tad bit washed out).

Another alternative is to use a few clicks of keystone and shelf mount the MITS upside down with an HP screen, you'll get less gain than a floor mount but still quite a bit of gain.

I have tried a few screens out (but not that many), so far I prefer the HP screen over everything else even given its limitations of viewing angles (which now with the HP 2.4 viewing angles even less noticeable).

I don't see any drawbacks in using the HP screen with the Mits, other than it alters your reflectivity characteristics so if floor mounting or high-shelf / ceiling, you'll need to either have DARK CARPET (low mount) or DARK CEILINGS (high mount), but of course both dark carpet and ceilings are preferred for the best image, as well as no ambient light. Of course if you have some lights on, the color of the carpet and ceilings won't make a huge difference anyways.

post #77 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:

how does it fare in ambient light conditions. it has 1300 lumens. Looks like a conservative estimate for such a product.

I just installed this PJ a few weeks ago with a matte white screen (106"). It depends on how much ambient light you are talking about. I have roman shades on my windows that block about 90% of the ambient light. Today around Noon, I tried the NFL network to find out how an NFL game might look on a Sunday afternoon. It was a pretty good picture. I will not hesitate to have friends over to watch the afternoon games. I guarantee the Sunday/Monday night games will look a lot better. It depends on your expectations....I don't expect a perfect picture during the day.
post #78 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Did you try changing the cable length in the service menu from 0-10m (default) to 10-20m?

StevenC56,

Could you please direct me as to where in the manual or what are the options to change cable length in the service menu (as i could not find it)?

koaz
post #79 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOAZ View Post

StevenC56,

Could you please direct me as to where in the manual or what are the options to change cable length in the service menu (as i could not find it)?

koaz

Should be the same as the HC3800, and it's not in the service menu, just the regular menu accessed by the remote>>

Settings - Language - leave the cursor on your language - press Auto Position, Enter, Auto Position
post #80 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goebeljj View Post

I just installed this PJ a few weeks ago with a matte white screen (106"). It depends on how much ambient light you are talking about. I have roman shades on my windows that block about 90% of the ambient light. Today around Noon, I tried the NFL network to find out how an NFL game might look on a Sunday afternoon. It was a pretty good picture. I will not hesitate to have friends over to watch the afternoon games. I guarantee the Sunday/Monday night games will look a lot better. It depends on your expectations....I don't expect a perfect picture during the day.

All good advice by posters here.

-Basically, less ambient light = better
-Bright content (sports, etc.), fairs MUCH better
-If the light is coming from behind the screen = better, since it's light is not shining directly on the screen, it's reflective light (much dimmer AFAT screen is concerned). So if you had a large room and you mounted the screen a 1/3 way out from the wall, put/locate the ambient lighting (lights, windows, etc.) behind the screen.
-If the light is shining directly onto the screen (like a light coming from where the PJ is mounted) = much worse.
-Movies will fair the worst, especially in dark'ish scenes, which every movie has. It won't be pretty

If the poster is looking for a sports bar style PJ, where everything is gonna just be sports, then I would still look into a business DLP projector. You can get a 2000 lumen unit easy. They do it with slower color wheels (2x speed), and RBE isn't an issue with ambient lighting and sports. If you ever intend on turning the lights off (no ambient lighting) and watching a movie, scratch this idea and look at the Benq W6000 as coderguy mentioned.

Summery: The only condition I would have a PJ with 'all the time ambient light' is if it's to watch bright content like sports.
post #81 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Should be the same as the HC3800, and it's not in the service menu, just the regular menu accessed by the remote>>

Settings - Language - leave the cursor on your language - press Auto Position, Enter, Auto Position

That's how to get there, however there's no mention of this menu or procedure in either the HC3800 or HC4000 manual-So I wouldn't classify it as the "regular" menu.
post #82 of 2857 Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I shipped my Mits back today since it had the checkerboard of death, but I might re-purchase it somewhere else later as a TV projector.

I think I am going to try the JVC HD250 or RS 40 next, and also purchase a DLP (probably after Nov) for just TV watching.
It's kind of funny that when it comes to my projector purchases, that my rate of getting working projectors on a first purchase is less than 50%.

Long-term I think I should watch TV with the DLP instead of burning out the JVC or Sanyo (keep these for those special movies), cause as cheap and BRIGHT as the Mits is, it will pay for itself in lamp usage alone after about 3-5 years for my heavy usage (I dont own a TV and never will!).

Now debating on taking Ebay risks or spending the extra 15% to get a JVC from an established dealer for movie watching.

If anyone knows good places to get the JVC RS40 or HD250, please PM me. I will ask in the JVC thread as well.

post #83 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

That's how to get there, however there's no mention of this menu or procedure in either the HC3800 or HC4000 manual-So I wouldn't classify it as the "regular" menu.

Uhm, 'regular menu' vs 'service menu'.

You access it through the regular menu, not the service menu as the poster thought.

Wasn't trying to 'classify' it.
post #84 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some interesting numbers for ANSI contrast (just as a curiosity):

The Mits has 879:1 ANSI contrast at its peak levels according to this site's ANSI contrast measurements:
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...&p2=10938&ph=1

WOW --- that is SO SO high for ANSI contrast.

His other measurements below:

The Sanyo z4000 measured 706:1 Ansi contrast at its peak levels (pretty freaking good for an LCD).

The 8700ub has 550:1 ANsi Contrast.

He measured 320:1 Ansi contrast on the Panny 4000.

--------------------------------------------------

Before I sent the Mits back, I did an ANSI contrast test with my meter and my eyes.

The Mits has almost triple the ANSI contrast of the Panny 4000 according to his numbers.

I'm not sure I trust the earlier studies about ANSI contrast not mattering by some people in these forums.
I'm not totally disputing it either, because what I saw might have been a tiny variation in the gamma curve.

My eyes and my meter are telling me that ANSI contrast does matter, at least in certain scenes, so I think ANSI contrast is starting to matter some as we are getting into these ridiculously high numbers. Who knows for sure, but my meter and my eyes are telling me it does matter a little.

post #85 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You access it through the regular menu, not the service menu as the poster thought.

Hey SeƱor Flea....Been out of town and haven't had time to check in but I think he is looking for the service menu to change the cable length setting...I think that is in the service menu, I haven't been in there but I know Curttard said it was buried somewhere...at least that is what I think he is looking for...

War Eagle!!!
post #86 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that isn't the service menu, then how to you access the service menu?
post #87 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Hey Coderguy i checked out the lumens in different modes on projectorreview.com, really liked the epsons with their brightness. thanks
post #88 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Coderguy, for someone who is so into movies that you will be incredibly picky about which PJ you stick with, don't you miss actually, you know, watching movies?
post #89 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Coderguy, for someone who is so into movies that you will be incredibly picky about which PJ you stick with, don't you miss actually, you know, watching movies?

Hey curttard, is the HDMi cable length in the service menu? If it is/is not can you elaborate on where it is and how to change it...it appears someone from above is looking for how to change it, Thanks.

War Eagle!!!
post #90 of 2857 Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Fleaman posted it above on this page:

Quote:

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page