post #92 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

If that isn't the service menu, then how to you access the service menu?

Service menu: up/down/enter on the Projector at same time.

The cable length thing is accessed through the remote, as mentioned.
O-3 likes this.
post #93 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Service menu: up/down/enter on the Projector at same time.

The cable length thing is accessed through the remote, as mentioned.

Thanks Senor....I might add both of these to this first page that I called out all of the specs on, so it would be documented at the beginning, since it has full CMS controls via the user menu not sure why anyone would need to go into the service menu...but at least its documented...

War Eagle!!!
post #94 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokia445pro View Post

Hey Coderguy i checked out the lumens in different modes on projectorreview.com, really liked the epsons with their brightness. thanks

The Mits does more realistic MODES of higher LUMENs than either Epson. Although the Epsons beat the Mits for overall brightness, the Mits does not go so far off color as quickly at over 600 lumens. If you want maximum POP and PUNCH in bright scenes as well as for TV watching, you can't really beat the Mits hc4000 no matter which projector you get. The Mits really only has one weakness, and that's dark scenes.
The Mits is sold for too cheap given it's image attributes, it could easily be a $2000 projector since it wins in bright scenes verse everything else I've seen. If I had to put the Mits in a given price range based on image quality, I would think the Mits is more realistically a $1500 to $1800 projector, at its current price it is just an absolute freaking steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Coderguy, for someone who is so into movies that you will be incredibly picky about which PJ you stick with, don't you miss actually, you know, watching movies?

I've just been bitten by the ALWAYS wanting more bug. It's also just that before I commited and paid so much for a JVC, wanted to be sure I've already seen enough projectors to ensure that the picture is actually worth dropping $2500 to $3500. I will know exactly what I'm getting if I go for the JVC, I've seen enough projectors now. If JVC dissapoints, it will either be sold or returned.

I also had fun learning about the differences in projectors, and calibrating so many different ones.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #95 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone help me out with the offset of this projector?
I've used the calculator, I am just not sure of my results.

I can mount the projector 55cm high, or I can ceiling mount it.
Ceiling is 2.55 meters.
The back of the projector can be placed 4. 7 meters away.

What is the maximum width and diagonal? How far down will the screen be if I ceiling mount?

I am trying to compare the Acer 7531d, BenQ w1100 and the HC4000 to see which one will give me the biggest picture.
post #96 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Hey guys what are some good ceiling mounts that wont hurt the wallet? any suggestions appreciated!
post #97 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After doing some calculations, it seems a 2.5 high ceiling, ceiling mounted projector, allows only around 270 cm wide picture if the bottom goes 40cm tall.

It seems the limiter is not the zoom, but the offset.
post #98 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Fleaman posted it above on this page:

I'd still like to know how to get into the service menu since fleaman says this is not the service menu. Anybody know?
post #99 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd still like to know how to get into the service menu since fleaman says this is not the service menu. Anybody know?

My Post #92.
post #100 of 2860 Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

My Post #92.

Sorry-Missed that post somehow. Thanks!
post #101 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Long-term I think I should watch TV with the DLP instead of burning out the JVC or Sanyo (keep these for those special movies), cause as cheap and BRIGHT as the Mits is, it will pay for itself in lamp usage alone after about 3-5 years for my heavy usage (I dont own a TV and never will!).

For just tv I would get a cheap Acer 5360 (replacement bulb is only $130) or K11 led if it's not too dim for your room.
post #102 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

For just tv I would get a cheap Acer 5360 (replacement bulb is only $130) or K11 led if it's not too dim for your room.

Nope, I would not even watch the ACER for 2d if I owned it, doesn't compare to the image of the Mits, which isn't even all that more expensive to me anyways.

4000 Hours on a lamp is plenty long which I would expect to get out of the Mits lamps, won't take that many lamp replacements when split between 2 projectors.
On average, I probably put 2500 hours a year on a projector
(although I tend to leave PJ's on while I'm on my computer, which is what about 30% of the hours are from, a habit I need to break)

If I have a JVC, I'm guessing I'd put 1000 hours on the JVC and 1500 hours on the Mits each year, meaning I would only need 2 bulbs after about 3 years, no biggie.

I'm way too sensitive to rainbows, not for me, the Mits is barely do-able cause of rainbows, much less a slower color wheel with a much lower contrast image.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #103 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
On sale at Newegg for 1125 right now! Promo code EMCKEJH32
post #104 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry-Missed that post somehow. Thanks!

Quote:

My Post #92.

I updated the front page of the posting and added them (hdmi length and service menu) at the bottom of the Spec listing....For things that we would like stickied, I can add to that page and list anything thing else we might think folks may be interested in...and maybe cover some of the basic questions....

War Eagle!!!
post #105 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Going to try to watch Italian Job tonight..anyone want me to post some screenshots, and if so any particular sections of the movie?

War Eagle!!!
post #106 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkson View Post

After doing some calculations, it seems a 2.5 high ceiling, ceiling mounted projector, allows only around 270 cm wide picture if the bottom goes 40cm tall.

It seems the limiter is not the zoom, but the offset.

So if I do the math right, looks like you are just over 8ft high on your ceilings, the offset is pretty much the same on all of the DLP's, some of the more expensive ones have lens shift...so I am shooting at a 106" screen from about 13' feet back...but my ceiling height is lower so I had to tilt (oh the horror ) to raise the image up like I wanted, I think I have one click of keystone and picture looks great...so I rasied mine from the 17" or so to about 25" level, that required one click of keystone...

War Eagle!!!
post #107 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Update: Watched part of Harry Potter - Deathly Hollows Part 1 this afternoon. This is a very dark movie and parts were nearly unwatchable. Don't get me wrong - I love this PJ, but don't expect to watch a movie like this with any ambient light.

We watched the first 30 minutes last night, and it was great.
post #108 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goebeljj View Post

Update: Watched part of Harry Potter - Deathly Hollows Part 1 this afternoon. This is a very dark movie and parts were nearly unwatchable. Don't get me wrong - I love this PJ, but don't expect to watch a movie like this with any ambient light.

We watched the first 30 minutes last night, and it was great.

Yeah I think that goes for all front projectors, if you have any ambient light hitting the screen, well there goes your black levels...

War Eagle!!!
post #109 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

On sale at Newegg for 1125 right now! Promo code EMCKEJH32

Thanks! I've been agonizing over the HC4000 and Epson 8350 like most ppl shopping in this price range. My only big reservation was the lack of overall lumen brightness vs. the 8350 for watching daytime sports with minimal light control, but that deal was too good to pass up.

Is there a screen you'd recommend that would give me some additional brightness without giving up too much of the black levels?
post #110 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmack View Post

Thanks! I've been agonizing over the HC4000 and Epson 8350 like most ppl shopping in this price range. My only big reservation was the lack of overall lumen brightness vs. the 8350 for watching daytime sports with minimal light control, but that deal was too good to pass up.

Is there a screen you'd recommend that would give me some additional brightness without giving up too much of the black levels?

Your lucky you decided to go with the Mits over the Epson 8350. The Mits DLP is a better picture overall. People wrongly assume because they are near the same price, that the PQ is the same, but it isn't. Although that said, most people probably don't care about the differences in PQ I suppose, or at least I guess ignorance is bliss.

The only two LCD projectors I can stand are the Epson 8700ub and the Sanyo z4000, but even then in BRIGHT scenes it still can't quite match DLP.

Screens
You don't lose black levels with gain screens as long as you have your room treated correctly and you don't make your PJ too bright. A gain screen just changes the white levels and black levels at the same time, screens are passive devices.

I favor the High Power 2.4 gain screen for budget conscious people (heck for most people even), but if you have a white ceiling and ceiling mount the Mits, the HP screen may mess up your black levels due to too much light reflecting back to the ceiling.

post #111 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Your lucky you decided to go with the Mits over the Epson 8350. The Mits DLP is a FAR FAR better picture overall. People wrongly assume because they are near the same price, that the PQ is near the same, but it isn't. Although that said, most people probably don't care about the differences in PQ I suppose, or at least I guess ignorance is bliss.

The only two LCD projectors I can stand are the Epson 8700ub and the Sanyo z4000, but even then in BRIGHT scenes it still can't quite match DLP.

Screens
You don't lose black levels with gain screens as long as you have your room treated correctly and you don't make your PJ too bright. A gain screen just changes the white levels and black levels at the same time, screens are passive devices.

I favor the High Power 2.4 gain screen for budget conscious people (heck for most people even), but if you have a white ceiling and ceiling mount the Mits, the HP screen may mess up your black levels due to too much light reflecting back to the ceiling.
Thanks for the feedback. There's definitely a lot to like about this PJ and I'm really looking forward to being an owner. Don't want to stir up another comparison debate in this new owner's thread, but the placement flexibility and max lumen output were the only two standout features the 8350 had going for it compared to the HC4000 IMO. The 8700UB is a different story, but that didn't fit in the budget.

While I wish I could see more owner screen shots and YouTube vids of material from the HC4000, I know they don't any projector justice. But it's always nice to reinforce your purchase decision while you wait for yours to ship.

I'm moving into a new house next week and I'm putting this PJ into a smallish room (15' X 10') with a diag. screen size from 84" - 100" depending on seating distance so I think in most cases I'll have plenty of brightness. My 1st thought was to go with a modest gain (1.2-1.3) white screen to add a little more punch. It's my first PJ so I'd like to get it set up to see if I can live with the brightness coming from the PJ or look for a HP screen.

I plan on doing some light control and acoustic treatment for music and movie watching, but not too heavy handed as this room will double as a small office and there's WAF to consider.
post #112 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 8700UB is a different story, but that didn't fit in the budget.

While I wish I could see more owner screen shots and YouTube vids of material from the HC4000, I know they don't any projector justice.
If going purely by PQ, the 8350 vs. the Mits hc4000 isn't even worthy of a debate. The Epson 8700ub or Sanyo z4000 vs. the MITS at least CAN be debated.

The 8700ub vs. the Mits hc4000 is a mixed bag. If I had to own just one, I'd most likely take a Mits hc4000 over the 8700ub because it has a better picture for TV and BRIGHT SCENES. Both projectors have advantages and disadvantages vs. each other. Obviously the Epson owning it for dark scenes. Actually I never owned the 8700ub, only the 8500ub, but whatever. Some people would say because the Epson is close enough in BRIGHT SCENE pop and totally owns the Mits in dark scenes, go with the 8700ub for sure. I say, well, now that my eye is trained to see every little freaking imperfection after comparing all these projectors, the MITS is better for OCD enthusiasts like myself, that don't mind living with brighter blacks. The Mits still produces the MOST consistent image with fewest side effects in processing.

Have fun with your Mits though!

post #113 of 2860 Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While I wish I could see more owner screen shots and YouTube vids of material from the HC4000, I know they don't any projector justice. But it's always nice to reinforce your purchase decision while you wait for yours to ship.

You asked..here ya go, you'll love it...Italian Job

Starting out with a good one..only for shadow detail

Let me know if you have a particular movie/scene....it's a great projector

War Eagle!!!
post #114 of 2860 Old 05-13-2011, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Screens

Maybe you meant to say; 'you don't lose contrast with gain screens'?

All things being equal, changing to a higher gain screen will hurt your black levels vs a lower gain screen. Contrast could remain similar.

You may not notice the black levels got lighter, especially if you don't do a side by side comparison, but they do when you bump the screen gain up.

Project a black image and put a higher gain swatch next to a lower gain screen or material. You will see the black level difference.

If the image is already bright at the screen size you have (and you like it), there's no sense in going with a higher gain screen on the HC4000. Maybe if it had a manual iris, but it doesn't.
Unless you like it REALLY bright (like coderguy) and don't mind a little bit of black level sacrifice for that plasma eye burning brightness.
post #115 of 2860 Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe you meant to say; 'you don't lose contrast with gain screens'?

All things being equal, changing to a higher gain screen will hurt your black levels vs a lower gain screen. Contrast could remain similar.

You may not notice the black levels got lighter, especially if you don't do a side by side comparison, but they do when you bump the screen gain up.

Nope, I meant what I said. I said "unless it makes your projector too bright", what I meant was unless it is too bright to compensate just like you stated.
Dropping a black carpet on the floor and floor mounting the Mits to an HP is one of the few ways to help deal with a white ceiling, if you refuse to paint that is. It isn't as good as a dark ceiling, but it surely helps a lot.

We argued this out in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311933

It raises both black and white levels, but unless you have no room to drop your brightness and contrast back down on your projector to a CORRECT FTL, then you would be at an invalid overall brightness level. I don't consider having too bright of an image or being at invalid calibration levels "worse black levels", I consider that just having too bright of an image. In that case, you should take corrective steps like a filter or something (since most projectors these days have IRIS's and CAN compensate, the Mits and some other cheaper DLP's being an exception).

The HP screen has many advantages beyond just gain, and when you ceiling mount, you won't get too much gain increase anyhow. Keep in mind most people are using screens over 100", so in that case some gain generally won't hurt you depending how tall you are while sitting on your couch, it'll just make your lamp lost longer. If ceiling mounting to an HP, you really can't have white ceilings though.

post #116 of 2860 Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM

bishopt: those screen shots look great! I'm sure I could dig through the forums to find the answer, but what screen are you using? throw distance? From the looks of the pics, it looks as if you have a pretty good light controlled room.
post #117 of 2860 Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

On sale at Newegg Promo code EMCKEJH32

I can't believe the price!

If your on the fence, time to jump off quick.
post #118 of 2860 Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw it even far cheaper than that at Overstock.com a week ago by stacking coupons and getting money back. Heck overstock.com had several projectors dirt cheap, sale is over though, too bad.

post #119 of 2860 Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 AM

How close to the ceiling can I mount my HC4000? Is 2" from the ceiling too close or will it cause problems being that close? I want to mount it as close to the ceiling as possible to make up for the 18.2" off set I will have...
post #120 of 2860 Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imitchely View Post
How close to the ceiling can I mount my HC4000? Is 2" from the ceiling too close or will it cause problems being that close? I want to mount it as close to the ceiling as possible to make up for the 18.2" off set I will have...
You can mount it as close as you like as far as the projector operating properly, the only problem is the actual mount itself... Is there a commercial mount that will allow you to get it that close?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page