post #1801 of 2860 Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

I think this was a great buy. I dropped in a few BR to adjust the lens and take a quick look at how it does CIH... Very happy at first glance. Color uniformity is true DLP, i think thats my favorite. Little rainbow here and there, but i really dont care. Even with my old dual lens system, its still pretty sharp and clear. More to come...

Awesome, I am really RBE sensitive but still love this projector. I am hoping the RS-45 advantages/disadvantages compared to the Mits gives me enough advantages to not have to go back to the Mits, mainly because of my RBE issues. Once the lamp gets a bit dimmer you should be doing better with it.

I am currently in never-never land waiting on the JVC RS-45 to ship, but I am a DLP fan at heart. I found out the Mits hc7800 only has a 4x color wheel, so it was a no go for me. There is the Optoma hd8300, but I've got mixed feelings, so trying the JVC out next. It still amazes me to this day that if I ever get frustrated with these newer projectors just coming out, I can always go back and grab a Mits for slightly over a grand and be happy again. The Mits was the only projector I've ever really been truly satisfied with out of every one I have ever tried! It is not nearly the most expensive I've tried but certainly is one of best.

If you are inclined, you should start a new thread for CIH stuff for the Mits hc4000 and do the comparisons of not using a lens vs. using a lens. Might help quite a few people since not many of the Mits owners have tried it with the lens.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I found out the Mits hc7800 only has a 4x color wheel, so it was a no go for me.

Quote:

It still amazes me to this day that if I ever get frustrated with these newer projectors just coming out, I can always go back and grab a Mits for slightly over a grand and be happy again.
The Mits was the only projector I've ever really been truly satisfied with out of every one I have ever tried! It is not nearly the most expensive I've tried but certainly is one of best.

But they are both 4x CW's

I guess you are saying that for a grand you'll deal with the RBE but for $3k you won't?
post #1803 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Exactly, I'll live with a 4x CW for the price of an hc4000, but not for the price of an hc7800.

The only reason I didn't want to go with the Optoma hd8300 which has the 6x wheel and is similar to the hc7800 is that I really don't know much about the PQ on the Optoma compared to other projectors this year, and the JVC has so many features it was impossible to pass up at the low price I got the JVC for (at least to try the JVC out).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1804 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my eye on the HC4000 for a long time. Today Newegg made it impossible to resist anymore (hint).
post #1805 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlwiler View Post

I've had my eye on the HC4000 for a long time. Today Newegg made it impossible to resist anymore (hint).

Just went an took a look, anyone on the fence the egg has a pretty good deal going just through today...makes it a super steal..lol

War Eagle!!!
post #1806 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Hey guys,

how is gaming on the HC4000? Any trouble with online shooters like COD?

Looking at the HC4000 or a BenQ W6000.

Opinions appreciated!

Thanks!
post #1807 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The equivalent 55" LCD in price makes me laugh .I try to sing the praise of front projection to friends and customers, but they are still sold on the norm.

Anyone concidering the projector will really enjoy it for sure. Its like a skeleton of sorts. You can check out its inerds by looking right through it while its running. My Optoma was sealed up tight. A little fan whine, but at volumes that even normal listening would drowned out.

Trying to get my son to hookup his PS3 and play some COD, but he says the picture is too big and freaks out his eyes Lol
post #1808 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The equivalent 55" LCD in price makes me laugh .I try to sing the praise of front projection to friends and customers, but they are still sold on the norm.

Anyone concidering the projector will really enjoy it for sure. Its like a skeleton of sorts. You can check out its inerds by looking right through it while its running. My Optoma was sealed up tight. A little fan whine, but at volumes that even normal listening would drowned out.

Trying to get my son to hookup his PS3 and play some COD, but he says the picture is too big and freaks out his eyes Lol

Yeah, I've been passing that along also, but for some rooms and size etc, just will not work, however I have been selling folks if they cant go with a front projector to go with a rear projector...mits is still making rear projection DLP, yeah they are not as sexy as thin LCD, but then they are much cheaper and look better and for the most part you can get bigger screen sizes...about to do an install for a friend and getting the mits 73" DLP...still more than the hc4000 but it works for the room...and looks great as usual

War Eagle!!!
post #1809 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlwiler View Post

Oh damn, I'm not ready
post #1810 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In case you are not ready for the newegg deal, B&H have it for 1099, no code needed. Free shipping w/in USA.
post #1811 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Projector place, new w/ 2 year warranty For about the same price.... They're still out there...
post #1812 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Projector place, new w/ 2 year warranty For about the same price....

Additional? 'cos 2 years is the normal factory warranty...
post #1813 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM

I'm going to have to go through the whole thread and do some more reading. I'm interested in the CIH setup. Are there a lot of users that have used this without additional lens?
post #1814 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post

I'm going to have to go through the whole thread and do some more reading. I'm interested in the CIH setup. Are there a lot of users that have used this without additional lens?

Yup....there are pro's and cons as always, but there are plenty of talk, including the first page of the thread has alot of CIH information listed in the second post......

War Eagle!!!
post #1815 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Do you get manufacturer warranty through Newegg? Their prices are very competitive, and they have a 10% off promo right now....not sure how often they do this.
post #1816 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In this HC4000 thread most of the CIH users are w/o lens, due to the CIH mode the HC4000 has.

But as mentioned, a lens would be better for using up all your resolution, assuming a good quality one.
post #1817 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

here's a side view. my son just got done with about an hour of Battle Field3, he was pretty impressed with the video part, either that or the 6000watt subs hahaha.
post #1818 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM

That looks like a mean setup. I will probably will just go with the poor-man's-cih setup, I think that lens cost more than the projector LOL.

I'm debating about the cih, if I go that route then we need to diy another screen. I have an existing 100" 16:9 setup. I can probably go bigger with the HC4000 but the 15' (maybe 17') length of the room would be the limiting factor.
post #1819 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That looks like a mean setup. I will probably will just go with the poor-man's-cih setup, I think that lens cost more than the projector LOL.

I'm debating about the cih, if I go that route then we need to diy another screen. I have an existing 100" 16:9 setup. I can probably go bigger with the HC4000 but the 15' (maybe 17') length of the room would be the limiting factor.

The lens was about 500.00 four years ago... The screen is 100"X42"... I sit about 10' away :^) Very happy so far... Cant wait for the new Rush BR !

Explain this lensless CIH....
post #1820 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The lens was about 500.00 four years ago... The screen is 100"X42"... I sit about 10' away :^) Very happy so far... Cant wait for the new Rush BR !

Explain this lensless CIH....

after hanging around the threads for awhile I thought you new all about it...thats one of the advantages to the mits over most of the other projectors is that it will do CIH without a lens, I think the option on the mits is called scope, change the aspect to scope make the 2.35 image as big as you want then you use the aspect ratio button to change the format back to 16:9, then you have grey bars on the left and right of the image it centers up the 16:9 image in the middle of the screen..pretty slick..although there are some trade offs with the 16:9 image not using the full 1080 resolution and you loose some brightness in the image, but its the best deal for those wanting 2.35 on the cheap...and the mits is the only one that has it

War Eagle!!!
post #1821 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have been looking at a budget projector that I can keep at the side, then place on a coffee table in front of my seats for use with a 2.2 by 2 m manual Da Lite screen that's mounted on a 3m high ceiling.

Some modles I considered were the Optoma HD 20, Epson 8350 and 2nd examples of the Pana ae 4000.
I almost gave on DLP units given their difficulties with placement as my screen only reaches 900mm from the floor and my line of sight when I am seated is 1000mm at 2800mm.

Then I found the HC 4000 and from my calculations it seems to fit?

I can get an Ikea table and boost the height of this unit to around 500mm and that would mean the bottom of the image is 850mm above the floor with a diagnonal image size of 82" at 2800mm.

So is that alright? Will I be craning my neck upwards with such a high screen? Given that the centre of the image will be about 1500mm is that comfy ?

Thanks

Any tips on placement and how I can avoid focussing the lens each time I move the unit into position?
post #1822 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Awesome, I am really RBE sensitive but still love this projector. I am hoping the RS-45 advantages/disadvantages compared to the Mits gives me enough advantages to not have to go back to the Mits, mainly because of my RBE issues. Once the lamp gets a bit dimmer you should be doing better with it.

I am currently in never-never land waiting on the JVC RS-45 to ship, but I am a DLP fan at heart. I found out the Mits hc7800 only has a 4x color wheel, so it was a no go for me. There is the Optoma hd8300, but I've got mixed feelings, so trying the JVC out next. It still amazes me to this day that if I ever get frustrated with these newer projectors just coming out, I can always go back and grab a Mits for slightly over a grand and be happy again. The Mits was the only projector I've ever really been truly satisfied with out of every one I have ever tried! It is not nearly the most expensive I've tried but certainly is one of best.

If you are inclined, you should start a new thread for CIH stuff for the Mits hc4000 and do the comparisons of not using a lens vs. using a lens. Might help quite a few people since not many of the Mits owners have tried it with the lens.

Coderguy,

How bad is the rainbow on the HC4000? The last DLP I had was the BenQ PE7700 which had a 5x CW. The only time I remember seeing rainbow was when I was looking for it during the rolling credits. I'm looking to get the HC7800 which presumably has the same 4x CW as the 4000; so I'm trying to get a rough idea about what to expect. I'd appreciate if you can share your experience.
post #1823 of 2860 Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

after hanging around the threads for awhile I thought you new all about it...thats one of the advantages to the mits over most of the other projectors is that it will do CIH without a lens, I think the option on the mits is called scope, change the aspect to scope make the 2.35 image as big as you want then you use the aspect ratio button to change the format back to 16:9, then you have grey bars on the left and right of the image it centers up the 16:9 image in the middle of the screen..pretty slick..although there are some trade offs with the 16:9 image not using the full 1080 resolution and you loose some brightness in the image, but its the best deal for those wanting 2.35 on the cheap...and the mits is the only one that has it

Yeah, i tend to drift around from section to section and forget stuff or never let it sink in, exibit A Lol....

Let me play around with it, i'll report back
post #1824 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theologian View Post

Coderguy,

How bad is the rainbow on the HC4000? The last DLP I had was the BenQ PE7700 which had a 5x CW. The only time I remember seeing rainbow was when I was looking for it during the rolling credits. I'm looking to get the HC7800 which presumably has the same 4x CW as the 4000; so I'm trying to get a rough idea about what to expect. I'd appreciate if you can share your experience.

It's impossible to know how much you'll see it compared to another person. Unfortunately, I haven't tested that many DLP's to compare it against that I can reference. That said, even for someone super RBE sensitive, it should really only affect you in certain types of movies and scenes.

post #1825 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

So, what aspect would i use with my outboard lens. I will be leaving the lens in place for both HDTV and BR. That would mean squeezing 16:9 stuff, unless i'm missing something, thats how i did it before.....
post #1826 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do not know, but FYI to anyone who cares (not that many do), I just bought a Viewsonic Pro8200 refurb for the heck of it while waiting on the JVC. Guess my next review is how does the Viewsonic Pro 8200 DC 3 compare to the Mits hc4000 I had.

I probably should have just spent more and got another Mits hc3800 or hc4000 while waiting on the JVC, but what the heck I can't bring myself to buying the same projector more than twice, lol. I figure I can probably sell this one for $150 less than I paid later.

post #1827 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be very interested in a comparison of the 4000 vs 8200. They both support anamorphic lens, an are in my price range.
post #1828 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I can already tell you the hc4000 wins, if that helps. The Viewsonic is much brighter and appears to be calibration hell.

I bought it because it has built-in speakers, is very portable, was dirt cheap, 75% brighter than the Mits, and I want something I can take to family and friends or during travel. I certainly am not going to lug a 25 lb JVC around.

This is a good projector for a backyard party I think. I do not have the projector in my hands yet, but I know the Mits is better, how much better we shall find out. It should be here by next Wed to Fri I am thinking. I always seem to be buying the hardest projectors to calibrate (z4000 now this one).

post #1829 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm confused about the how the CIH feature in the HC4000 works. I haven't read the entire thread, but what I gather is switching between 16:9 and 21:9(2.35:1) modes uses no optical zooming and simply re-scales the image digitally and then blacks out any horizontal/vertical pixels that can't be used. Is this correct?

Wouldn't it be far better to use the manual zoom (I'm talking about the projector's built-in non-anamorphic zoom) to help resize the image? This way you should be able to use all 1920x1080 pixels in 16:9 mode, and 1920x822 pixels in 21:9 mode. I know it would be somewhat of a pain to manually adjust the zoom every time the aspect ratio is changed, but isn't this the best performance option short of using a true anamorphic zoom.

Thanks,
Darrell
post #1830 of 2860 Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Once i figure out how to stretch using no lens I'll compare to the lens i have......
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page