post #181 of 2860 Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ticarus- View Post

My one complain would actually be blu rays. My other tv is a kuro, so i am used to being floored with blu ray quality. Blu Rays didnt seem too much better then my cable feed.

Which blu ray disc(s)?
Make sure you're sending 1080p to your HC4000

What sitting distance from the screen? Measure your screen width (not diagonal) of your Kuro & HC4000, then sit 1.5x to 1.75x screen width back from each display.
i.e> if Kuro is 42" wide, sit 63" back, if HC4000 is 100" wide sit 150" back.

Then compare.

Also, it could be possible that your Kuro is worse at your cable feed, exaggerating the differences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2860 Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@bishopt WOW! You definitely went above and beyond my expectations. I really appreciate you sharing those screenshots in ambient light. It really confirmed my expectations of this projector's ability to put up an adequate picture with some ambient light. Hopefully that helps anyone else unsure of the Mitsu's ability to put up a decent picture with some ambient light.

Obviously, the shots with curtains closed was the most impressive, but with the windows opened, they were more than acceptable to me. I noticed the side of the screen closest to the window a bit more washed out than the other side, but it's not objectionable. Do you think the HC Gray screen you're using helps filter out some of the ambient light?

I started moving into my new place today (hence the later post), and after looking at my "media room" I determined that the amount of ambient light in that room is very similar to yours so I'm really excited to get the room set up! I'll probably use a blackout curtain 'screen' until I figure out a more permanent material and size that will work for my room.

Thanks again!
post #183 of 2860 Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebeljj View Post

What do you use to clean the lens?

For you, and anyone else interested in PJ lens cleaning, here is a product that is the only one that has been recommended, several years ago, by others on this forum:
http://www.2filter.com/2filterproduc...eaningkit.html.

2Filter is also a good source for camera filters, etc. The price of their filter cleaning kit is comparable with lens cleaning kits from LensCrafters and other eyeglass companies. It won't damage PJ lens coatings either.

However, being OCD about PJ lens cleaning is highly frowned upon, as any rubbing of the lens surface will tend to wear the coatings (a bad thing), even with good. clean, soft, microfiber cloths.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #184 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
@Anyone evaluating my screenshots, and in regards to HiFi's post

The screenshots I posted in that review though, I verified that my eyes matched how the pictures came out. What I meant by screenshots don't tell you anything is when you are comparing them from different sources and commentary in this forum. For instance, if you are comparing screenshots I took with the same camera at the same time in a shootout, and then saying I said screenshots don't mean anything, well obviously we're talking about two different situations. One is someone taking screenshots of 2 projectors side-by-side just a few minutes apart, another is multiple people taking pictures in different rooms with different equipment, and another is reviewers taking screenshots several months or years apart with the same equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #185 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

This projector basically is very close to being # 1 in two categories as you've noticed, that is processing cable feeds, and bright scene POP overall. For black levels, it's just a tad below average, but not terrible either.

Coderguy (or any other HC4000 owner),
How would you or any one else score the above 3 (1/ Processing cable feeds, 2/ Bright scene POP and 3/ Black levels) respectively out of 10, if 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest score for the HC4000 against other projectors. As i have read a lot of coderguys replies (and let me say thank you also as you are a wealth of info.) but you have used various phrases and words to describe the above 3 at different times. Also i have asked this before but can some of you good folk that own a HC4000 lets us in on what picture settings you are using please.
Many thanks in advance...
koaz
post #186 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOAZ View Post

Coderguy,
How would you or any one else score the above 3 (Processing cable feeds, Bright scene POP and Black levels) respectively out of 10, if 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest score for the HC4000. As i have read a lot of coderguys replies (and let me say thank you also as you are a wealth of info.) but you have used various phrases and words to describe the above 3 at different times. Also i have asked this before but can some of you good folk that own a HC4000 lets us in on what picture settings you are using please.
Many thanks in advance...koaz

Can't really perfectly describe anything when comparing projectors, I guess that's the problem.

I am mostly just having fun seeing different projectors, although I suspect I'm about done now, too much work, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Quote:"Here is the rating from Consumer Reports.

Let's not restart the Consumer Reports debate, I just personally never understood that list, sorry if this means I'm being dense. If the list could be explained how an 8500ub is higher than an 8700ub, and a z3000 higher than a z4000 (neither of which I guarantee are valid), then maybe it would make sense.

OK sorry, lets get back on track to the hc4000 only stuff (my bad).

-

post #187 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmack View Post

@bishopt WOW! You definitely went above and beyond my expectations. I really appreciate you sharing those screenshots in ambient light. It really confirmed my expectations of this projector's ability to put up an adequate picture with some ambient light. Hopefully that helps anyone else unsure of the Mitsu's ability to put up a decent picture with some ambient light.

Obviously, the shots with curtains closed was the most impressive, but with the windows opened, they were more than acceptable to me. I noticed the side of the screen closest to the window a bit more washed out than the other side, but it's not objectionable. Do you think the HC Gray screen you're using helps filter out some of the ambient light?

I started moving into my new place today (hence the later post), and after looking at my "media room" I determined that the amount of ambient light in that room is very similar to yours so I'm really excited to get the room set up! I'll probably use a blackout curtain 'screen' until I figure out a more permanent material and size that will work for my room.

Thanks again!

No problem, blackout cloth will be a little worse than my grey with the ambient light ( I think, let us know how it does though), but the jamestown grey is very light. Depending on how big you go with the screen size i would recommend the elite ezframe cinegrey, that would hold the blacks a little better than the jamestown grey. Now of course if money is no object, always is for me, then go for a firehawk or a black diamond both will give you some gain and due really good with ambient light...so the BD and Firehawk are 2K screens, the jamestown is less than 300 and the elite I think is < 500.....if I had to do it again I probably would go with the elite....

War Eagle!!!
post #188 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was looking in some other threads of people that made their own IRIS's, it would be cool if you could use some gain screen like the HP and use an IRIS to adjust. So far all I've seen is some sub-standard stuff.
As soon as my RMA's get finished, think I'm going to start my DIY stuff next.
I'd sure love to find me an Open Box Mits somewhere for near what that one guy paid, no big deal either way though.

-

post #189 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Liked: 17
Even though the guy here is almost buried too, note the incredible shadow detail and contrast the Mitsubishi 4000 is able to display:
post #190 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I hate manure..............
post #191 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How would you or any one else score the above 3 (1/ Processing cable feeds, 2/ Bright scene POP and 3/ Black levels) respectively out of 10, if 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest score for the HC4000 against other projectors. koaz

Since no-one replied, and I'm probably one of the few that attempted this comparison, I'll give it one comment just for general purposes.

The hc4000 does generally ok for black levels and contrast with the first disadvantage being noticed at about the lighting level of what I might call "almost evening time" shots, but here it's not too bad, but where it really will struggle is things like star fields. So if you watch a Bluray like "The Universe" series from History Channel, which needs constantly dark blacks at times, yah it's going to be a struggle. Still it's not terrible, it's just not optimal.

That said, there isn't a projector I've found yet that can do both things that well, bright and dark scenes. The Sanyo or Epson LCD's are ok, but still just enough loss in bright scene POP to irritate me a tad bit.

The projector most likely to do both in a better balance is the Infocus sp8602, or MAYBE the Benq w6000, but then we don't really have any shootouts for those two projectors, and both of them cost significantly more. So you'd have to trust other reviews, and few of the reviews actually did side-by-sides for bright scene POP. Seems like most reviews just go on and on and on about black levels, it's kind of like ok I get it, so what about the other stuff?

-

post #192 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

No problem, blackout cloth will be a little worse than my grey with the ambient light ( I think, let us know how it does though), but the jamestown grey is very light. Depending on how big you go with the screen size i would recommend the elite ezframe cinegrey, that would hold the blacks a little better than the jamestown grey. Now of course if money is no object, always is for me, then go for a firehawk or a black diamond both will give you some gain and due really good with ambient light...so the BD and Firehawk are 2K screens, the jamestown is less than 300 and the elite I think is < 500.....if I had to do it again I probably would go with the elite....

I'm on a tight budget too. I'm going to see if I can get some screen samples to help me figure out which will work best for me.
post #193 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I heard the BD screen has an annoying glimmer or shimmer and some hot spotting.
Not sure if that is true, the HP screen is another cheap one, but not that cheap for giant size screens.

AVS or www.projectorzone.com have some good deal on certain screens.

-

post #194 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
How would you or any one else score the above 3 (1/ Processing cable feeds, 2/ Bright scene POP and 3/ Black levels) respectively out of 10, if 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest score for the HC4000 against other projectors. As i have read a lot of coderguys replies (and let me say thank you also as you are a wealth of info.) but you have used various phrases and words to describe the above 3 at different times. Also i have asked this before but can some of you good folk that own a HC4000 lets us in on what picture settings you are using please.
Many thanks in advance...
koaz
After 3 days and 15hrs I would rank like this.
Processing cable feeds: 9
Bright scene POP:8 (Dark scene:5)
Black levels:6 (sidenote: I am projecting on a wall. No room treatments or screen so take with grain of salt. Just judging what I do see.)

Watched toy story 3 with my daughter last night... WOOOO!
Amazing. With my kuro I loved 2.35 films. Now I want 16:9.
As the film transitions to its later dark scenes I found myself removed from the film and focusing on the shadow detail. But Amazing experience none the less.

For the money this projector is a STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best purchase Ive made all year. No Doubt!
post #195 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Black levels:6 (sidenote: I am projecting on a wall. No room treatments or screen so take with grain of salt. Just judging what I do see.)

As the film transitions to its later dark scenes I found myself removed from the film and focusing on the shadow detail. But Amazing experience none the less.

Fun..Fun, Enjoy I have about 160hrs on mine so far.....

Thats the confusing thing for me, since I watch a lot of dark movies and never has it bothered me, I know the blacks can be better but once I calibrated it and adjust the brightness and contrast it looks great to me. but my back wall is really dark and my side walls are way to the side plus my grey screen may help a little, but I love the picture..everything I throw at it, I think now I might always go DLP...if mits ever came out with one with an irs and some lens shift I think it would even better...wonder what mits are planning to do next...

War Eagle!!!
post #196 of 2860 Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 PM

thank you coderguy and -Ticarus- for taking the time out to reply.
post #197 of 2860 Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fun..Fun, Enjoy I have about 160hrs on mine so far.....

Thats the confusing thing for me, since I watch a lot of dark movies and never has it bothered me, I know the blacks can be better but once I calibrated it and adjust the brightness and contrast it looks great to me.

It appears they are coming out with a 3D version of the hc4000 next, not sure if it will have an IRIS or not (my guess is not).

Most companies cannot seem to design a dynamic IRIS correctly anyways, but even a manual IRIS would be nice. A few dynamic IRIS's work very well. Sanyo and Sony being the best two IRIS's I've seen so far.

For anyone wanting to take more accurate foot lambert readings, this light meter works fairly well for under $40:
Mastech lx1330b

They had a bunch on Amazon.com for cheap, but quantities seem to have gone down lately (maybe cause people in these forums are buying them up). It is almost as accurate as the $200 CA-803 light meter (within a few percent supposedly as tested in a JVC thread).
You can take contrast readings with it too.

-

post #198 of 2860 Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I can understand why you love 2.35 movies on your Kuro (I have one), but why 16:9 on the mitsu? Because of the bright scene POP? Seems like 2.35 CIH is the way to go with this pj to hide the black (err...dark gray) letterbox bars.

I'm about 24hrs from finally firing up mine. Moving sux, but I've slowly gotten my dedicated room set up...still a work in progress (need surround speaker mounts, pj ceiling mount, room seating, acoustic panels, light control treatments), but I need to get a picture up on the wall to see what size screen will work for me.
post #199 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Guys, Yeaterday while watching some movie via PC, a kid turned the receiver(which feeds the PJ) off. When i turned back on , the checker board of death appeared on the left side only. It stayed few minutes. Restarting everything removed it. Should i be worried? Have i gotten a defective unit ?
post #200 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmack View Post

I can understand why you love 2.35 movies on your Kuro (I have one), but why 16:9 on the mitsu? Because of the bright scene POP? Seems like 2.35 CIH is the way to go with this pj to hide the black (err...dark gray) letterbox bars.

I'm about 24hrs from finally firing up mine. Moving sux, but I've slowly gotten my dedicated room set up...still a work in progress (need surround speaker mounts, pj ceiling mount, room seating, acoustic panels, light control treatments), but I need to get a picture up on the wall to see what size screen will work for me.

For my setup I can only have the projector 12ft back. Making about a 106 16:9 screen. If I do a 2.35 aspect and use the 16:9 (aspect button) content sure looked smaller(less impressive). I watch a lot sports and this just wouldnt do for me.

On a side note I did "some" room treatment and set my hc4000 to cinema and low lamp.

At first I thought it was too dull ... BUT .. after my eyes adjusted(im assuming,or projector warmed up?/) the pic looked great and on dark blu rays I saw more shadow detail and better blacks overall.
post #201 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Guys, Yeaterday while watching some movie via PC, a kid turned the receiver(which feeds the PJ) off. When i turned back on , the checker board of death appeared on the left side only. It stayed few minutes. Restarting everything removed it. Should i be worried? Have i gotten a defective unit ?

That's hard to say, I haven't seen a lot of folks having that issue, I think coder experienced it. I have never seen it or experienced in and I am approaching ~200 hours. Since they have a 2 year warranty and I purchased with Amex, I have the equiv. of a 3 year warranty. Since I have dealt with their customer support and they were very easy to deal with and I would not have any concerns if I had to go down that route. I would continue using the projector and see if it continues to happen. If it continues to happen then I would call it in, otherwise I would not worry about it, that's just my $.02

War Eagle!!!
post #202 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On a side note I did "some" room treatment and set my hc4000 to cinema and low lamp.

At first I thought it was too dull ... BUT .. after my eyes adjusted(im assuming,or projector warmed up?/) the pic looked great and on dark blu rays I saw more shadow detail and better blacks overall.

Good deal, keep going try to at least calibrate your brightness and contrast, it should get better...there are some links in the forum to download the basic test patterns and burn them on a dvd which will allow you to then set them, if you can't find the link let me know.

War Eagle!!!
post #203 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody tried the Vizio XWH200 wireless HDMI system with their HC4000? I have one ordered-If it works that beats the heck out of crawling through my attic and fishing an HDMI cable down the walls!
post #204 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

How many hrs do you have on it?
post #205 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Good deal, keep going try to at least calibrate your brightness and contrast, it should get better...there are some links in the forum to download the basic test patterns and burn them on a dvd which will allow you to then set them, if you can't find the link let me know.

Thanks I will look into those patterns once im set up in my final spot.

Hey Bishopt, what mount are you using. Or can anybody recommend one that really hugs to the ceiling? I need to order one asap.

Thanks again!
post #206 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Anybody tried the Vizio XWH200 wireless HDMI system with their HC4000? I have one ordered-If it works that beats the heck out of crawling through my attic and fishing an HDMI cable down the walls!

LOL, I'm a network guy by trade, I have lots of wires..., it may work for you, trying to remember the amount of bandwidth in use for 1080p, its not to bad but with wireless its not always consistent...why I always run wire...

Keep us up to date and let us know how it goes...I'm sure lots of folks are in the same boat....

War Eagle!!!
post #207 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks I will look into those patterns once im set up in my final spot.

Hey Bishopt, what mount are you using. Or can anybody recommend one that really hugs to the ceiling? I need to order one asap.

Thanks again!

Yeah I didn't post on that one since the one I used required some modification and its about a 3" drop, so It's not one I would recommend but it is sturdy, worked great for the benq w6000 but not so hot for the mits. I have a drop ceiling so I could recess to make up some of the drop on it. The chief is the one that comes to mind and I know it is very good but it is pricey. I think peerless makes one but I have never used it, so I don't know how good it is.

War Eagle!!!
post #208 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, I'm a network guy by trade, I have lots of wires..., it may work for you, trying to remember the amount of bandwidth in use for 1080p, its not to bad but with wireless its not always consistent...why I always run wire...

Keep us up to date and let us know how it goes...I'm sure lots of folks are in the same boat....

I hear ya-Direct cable is always better. I'm using a 50' HDMI cable right now that is working OK since I changed the cable length setting in the PJ. It's just running down from the PJ and around the outside of the room right now. The room is pretty well done now with the exception of the power and HDMI to the PJ, plus wiring for an IR repeater upfront along with the screen power cord. I figured it's worth a try and if it doesn't work out I can return it to the warehouse that is apparently not supposed to be mentioned on these forums.
post #209 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's what it looks like right now-As you can see the wires hanging down kind of take away from the whole thing. The acoustic panels turned out well.
LL
LL
LL
post #210 of 2860 Old 05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Here's what it looks like right now-As you can see the wires hanging down kind of take away from the whole thing. The acoustic panels turned out well.

WOW, very nice....lots of purple , for something that nice I would spend the time in the attic, but then again I'm a gluten for punishment...actually I would probably run cat5e and then use some extenders on the ends to make the wire pull easier, since the HDMI ends can be a pain to pull, something like this http://www.elementhz.com/ele8080.html, since I have lots of access to cat5 cable and tools..if the wireless doesnt work out and you decide to go a different direction I know where you can pick these up for cheap...

War Eagle!!!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page