Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 2860 Old 03-30-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Ugh ...

* dang, my long post was somehow deleted when I posted, ah well... nevermind.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2860 Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi125 View Post

Does the bulb timer take a while to register the first hour? I'm at like 4 hours and it still says 0.

Yup I think we have that listed on Page one in the FAQ section....but it actually takes 10 hours and will then start counting up in hour increments from there.

War Eagle!!!
post #2463 of 2860 Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qx56 View Post

Should kick in at 10-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

Yup I think we have that listed on Page one in the FAQ section....but it actually takes 10 hours and will then start counting up in hour increments from there.

10 it was. Thanks guys.
post #2464 of 2860 Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM

What color space do I need to choose for my Oppo BDP-93 when pairing it with the HC4000?
post #2465 of 2860 Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM

Happy Easter All,

Just set up my Dad's new Mits 4000 and I have to say it is as advertised! It was the most film like experience I have had. I have owned projectors since 97 (Zenith CRT), 480 DLP, 720 DLP, and now a Sanyo Z2000. My late Uncle got me into HT years ago and he has owned many different projectors. When he passed away 3 years ago my parents were given his house. His last projector was an Optima HD8000 and it died a couple of weeks ago. I searched and read and came to the conclusion the Mits would fit their needs at their price point. They only watch movies and almost always after dark so ambient light is not an issue. The walls are off white, but not a biggie. Anyway I do have some questions for you long time users. I have searched and read these threads for several days, but I have not found the consensus Calibration. I have seen what the reviewers have done, but they are different. I have found a couple in the Threads, but then someone poo poos it. Does anyone have a link to one to help me out?

Right out of the box it is stunning. The colors are rich and the picture sharp as a tack. Watched Hugo on it last night and everyone was amazed.

My Uncle's screen is large...124" dia....Not sure what the gain is. Took a chance that the Mits could handle that size screen, but for their movie watching it is great. Thanks for reading!
post #2466 of 2860 Old 04-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESSowner View Post

Right out of the box it is stunning. The colors are rich and the picture sharp as a tack.

I totally agree..Have just bought one myself and I was blown away by just how good this projector is, straight out of the box!!. I don't have to make any adjustments to any of the settings except sharpness..
I'm projecting through an anamorphic lens onto a 106" CIH scope AT screen..
The whites are clean and brilliant!..
I have watched Avatar ( beautiful colour) and last night I watched SW.5 and the whiteness of the snow scenes were the best I've ever seen...This is my third projector..

If anyone is sitting on the fence about this projector..just buy it! you won't be disappointed..

Home Theater...The never ending story..
post #2467 of 2860 Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I have searched and read these threads for several days, but I have not found the consensus Calibration. I have seen what the reviewers have done, but they are different. I have found a couple in the Threads, but then someone poo poos it. Does anyone have a link to one to help me out?

You can download a calibration disc for free from AVS forum here>

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Download the instructions, and you're on your way.

Luckily for you, the HC4000 is pretty close OTB, so at the very least, for now, just calibrate your brightness and contrast. Any pixar disc (even dvd) should have the THX optimizer on it that you can calibrate the bright/contrast too.
post #2468 of 2860 Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

You can download a calibration disc for free from AVS forum here>

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Download the instructions, and you're on your way.

Luckily for you, the HC4000 is pretty close OTB, so at the very least, for now, just calibrate your brightness and contrast. Any pixar disc (even dvd) should have the THX optimizer on it that you can calibrate the bright/contrast too.

HC4000 BASIC SETTING WITH SCREEN SHOT(hd club)
post #2469 of 2860 Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Happy Easter All,

Just set up my Dad's new Mits 4000 and I have to say it is as advertised! It was the most film like experience I have had. I have owned projectors since 97 (Zenith CRT), 480 DLP, 720 DLP, and now a Sanyo Z2000. My late Uncle got me into HT years ago and he has owned many different projectors. When he passed away 3 years ago my parents were given his house. His last projector was an Optima HD8000 and it died a couple of weeks ago. I searched and read and came to the conclusion the Mits would fit their needs at their price point. They only watch movies and almost always after dark so ambient light is not an issue. The walls are off white, but not a biggie. Anyway I do have some questions for you long time users. I have searched and read these threads for several days, but I have not found the consensus Calibration. I have seen what the reviewers have done, but they are different. I have found a couple in the Threads, but then someone poo poos it. Does anyone have a link to one to help me out?

Right out of the box it is stunning. The colors are rich and the picture sharp as a tack. Watched Hugo on it last night and everyone was amazed.

My Uncle's screen is large...124" dia....Not sure what the gain is. Took a chance that the Mits could handle that size screen, but for their movie watching it is great. Thanks for reading!

If your screen is around 1.1 gain and it's a white screen you might want to try these settings. They're from Joel Silver, ISF calibrator, for Home Theater magazine.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...ector-settings
post #2470 of 2860 Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 PM

I'm using an A lens with my HC4000 and I need to use "Anamorphic 1" and "Anamorphic 2" settings to get the right aspect ratio's for 16:9 and 2.35:1..

When I make all the settings for 16:9 viewing and put them into memory 1, it doesn't accept the aspect ratio setting of "Anamorphic 2" and instead reverts to "Auto"..
The same applies when setting for 2.35:1 AR..
Is there anyway of including these anamorphic settings?
I'm trying to put these anamorphic settings into my Harmony remote..The Mits. remote does not separate them and only provides one Aspect button, which you have to repeatedly press to get to the right AR..

Does anyone have experience with this?

post #2471 of 2860 Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Is anyone using an Anamorphic lens with the HC4000?

post #2472 of 2860 Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Projector upgrade question for you guys:

Upgrading from an HC1500 to the HC4000, will the same projector mount and location work?

My current layout for the ceiling mounted HC1500:

Ceiling height: 108"
Screen diagonal size: 92"
Pole length: 9"
Distance from the screen to the front of the projector: 162"

I've punched in the above numbers into Mitsubishi's calculator but they no longer have the HC1500 as an option to compare. I remember that my screen was mounted about 4" low but that was necessary for the origin install as my ceiling slopes causing the screen to be mounted where I have it. I believe I just used some vertical shift and keystone correction on the HC1500. My current image is very good, just wondering what to expect when installing the HC4000.

I'm also wondering about the projector position left/right as the HC1500 lens is in the center of the unit vs. the HC4000 lens is off to one side.

Will my current location work for the HC4000?
post #2473 of 2860 Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post

Projector upgrade question for you guys:

Upgrading from an HC1500 to the HC4000, will the same projector mount and location work?

My current layout for the ceiling mounted HC1500:

Ceiling height: 108"
Screen diagonal size: 92"
Pole length: 9"
Distance from the screen to the front of the projector: 162"

I've punched in the above numbers into Mitsubishi's calculator but they no longer have the HC1500 as an option to compare. I remember that my screen was mounted about 4" low but that was necessary for the origin install as my ceiling slopes causing the screen to be mounted where I have it. I believe I just used some vertical shift and keystone correction on the HC1500. My current image is very good, just wondering what to expect when installing the HC4000.

I'm also wondering about the projector position left/right as the HC1500 lens is in the center of the unit vs. the HC4000 lens is off to one side.

Will my current location work for the HC4000?

Projector Central has calculators for both projectors:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mits...ulator-pro.htm
At 92" max distance for HC1500 is 159" and would have a 15.1" offset.

At 92" max distance for HC4000 ia 165" and would have the same 15.1" offset.

Some mounts use a seperate adapter plate that can be ordered to use the existing mount with a different projector. My Chief mount has different adapter plates for various projectors.
post #2474 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

Projector Central has calculators for both projectors:

At 92" max distance for HC1500 is 159" and would have a 15.1" offset.

At 92" max distance for HC4000 ia 165" and would have the same 15.1" offset.

Some mounts use a seperate adapter plate that can be ordered to use the existing mount with a different projector. My Chief mount has different adapter plates for various projectors.

Thanks, that calculator tells me the throw distance and my current screen height should work but what about the fact the lens on the HC4000 is not in the middle of the unit like it is on the HC1500? Will I need to move the mount over to account for the difference?

I keep thinking it might just be easier to upgrade to the Epson 8350 since it has lens shift.
post #2475 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, that calculator tells me the throw distance and my current screen height should work but what about the fact the lens on the HC4000 is not in the middle of the unit like it is on the HC1500? Will I need to move the mount over to account for the difference?

Yes.

With most PJ mounts it's easy enough to shift the arms to one side or the other.
post #2476 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I keep thinking it might just be easier to upgrade to the Epson 8350 since it has lens shift.

Your HC1500 is DLP and if you like DLP the HC4000 is definitely the way to go.

The HC4000 lens is 2.5" off center. I do not have any experience how much that distance would affect the image.
post #2477 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

I am going to step out on the proverbial limb and say if you switch to LCD after your HC1500 you will not be a happy camper! I have the HC3000 and would never buy a 3LCD, they just don't wow like the DLP does.
Perfect convergence is not something you will find in a lower end LCD and the tolerance of one pixel that Epson considers normal and OK would never flush after watching DLP for years.

Adjust the mount or move it, you will be much happier in the end.

Doug

post #2478 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Adjust the mount or move it, you will be much happier in the end.

And if the mount doesn't have swing arms that can't be adjusted (would be rare and unusual), you can probably just fabricate a flat plate of thin ply or metal and drill the offset holes the appropriate amount to the side, and mount that to your mount, etc.
post #2479 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM

I finally got around to calibrating my HC4000 picture with the Avia 2 DVD - my bulb has approx. 1000 hrs. on it - and figured it was time to give it a go.

My screen is a grey, low gain 80" Focupix and I can control the light in my room very well at night.

I came up with the following settings for the standard adjustments with the bulb on normal power:

Cinema mode
Contrast +24 (I found this test pattern very subjective)
Brightness 0
Warm (as per Avia's instructions)
Color +1
Sharpness -2 or -1 (I had a tough time deciding between these 2 numbers)
Brilliant Color off

I was wondering what you all think of these settings based on my setup...
post #2480 of 2860 Old 04-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys for your input, not sure if my inexpensive mount will adjust for the 2.5" offset that the HC4000 has over hc1500. And I checked again today my throw is 138" so I'm in the middle of the range there. However, for perfect vertical alignment I will need to raise my screen by 4". Not as big a job as moving the projector mount.

I only mentioned the 8350 since I have a good friend with one and the picture looked good to me, at least compared to my HC1500, not sure how the picture would compare to the HC4000.

My other anoyance with my HC1500 is the high pitched noise of my color wheel.
post #2481 of 2860 Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi!!!!

Does anybody know where I can find the Service Manual (Circuit Diagram) for the HC4000.

I tried the Mitsubishi webpage but the links were not working...

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!
TELLYBR
post #2482 of 2860 Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello Everyone...just trying to see what is the largest 2.35 screen I can get with this PJ. I have totally dark room 20x13, 10 foot ceilings, and I plan to sit around 12-14 back. I was hoping for at least 130"....maybe high gain\\power for an extra boost?
post #2483 of 2860 Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'd suggest 1.4+ gain at least and 2.0+ gain couldn't hurt for that big of a screen (130"), that is if you want the lamp to last a long time and maintain screen brightness. Some are doing it with far less gain (even no gain), but the image will get DIM faster in the best mode. In Sports mode it can be done in lamp high for longer.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #2484 of 2860 Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks Coderguy! You always give great advice. Much appreciated! I'm just trying to find the best PJ for my setup, this will be my first. I've pretty much made up my mind and its going to be the HC4000 or the 7800. I love the look of DLP and I need the lens shift to 2.35 that these PJ's can do. I just wish I could see the new panny ae7000 somewhere in Dallas, just so I can get it out of mind LOL! I'm really sensative to motion blur so, I'd like to see it in action so I can rule it out completely.
post #2485 of 2860 Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Panny 7000 has way too many issues and for the price you can do better PQ-WISE, avoid it entirely. I don't think a single expert in this forum has really preferred the Panny, most of us haven't even bothered reviewing one because of all the issues they have as well as the JVC RS-45 beats it easily and has the same CIH feature for the most part.

Look at a JVC RS-45 which has LENS memory if you want something that produces a better image for movies in 2.35, but motion blur may be an issue on it for you. I own one and its the best projector I've ever had, they are a tad expensive though (about same as Panny though). AVS has/had some B-stock RS-40's for sale but the RS-40 does not have lens memory for 2.35 like the RS-45 does. Also the JVC's overshot black bars in 2.35 mode are super dark because of the high contrast, so it does 2.35 better than all of them really. The JVC has far darker blacks than the Panny 7000 and overall a much more punchy image.

-

post #2486 of 2860 Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM

i don't know. the picture seems a bit dark. or i should say not enough lumens. is that just me? i take it it's a ton better with no lights and it being all dark.
post #2487 of 2860 Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy12345 View Post

i take it it's a ton better with no lights and it being all dark.

Well, it is a projector.....
post #2488 of 2860 Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting this projector as i heard and read reviews and everyone loves it. I just dont know if it will work in my room due to lack of lens shift. Here is my situation.

From the screen wall to the back wall where the projector will be mounted, it is about 14ft. The projector will be mounted on a shelf about 4 1/2 feet from the ground. It will be centered to the screen, both vertically and horizontally. The screen size i am aiming for is 92". I will be sitting about 12 ft from the screen.

Will this projector work in my room? That is pretty much the only place i can put the projector. Do i need Lens Shifting at all?

Thanks for your help.
post #2489 of 2860 Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You cannot center this projector to the screen vertically, as it has an offset. The only center-based offset DLP projector is the Benq w6000/w7000.

You can find Benq w6000's for around 50% more money if you look hard enough.

-

post #2490 of 2860 Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Coderguy. I still really want this projector. How high do i have to put it (from the ceiling i guess) to make it work? Does the screen have to be at a certain height as well from the ceiling?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page