Official Mitsubishi hc4000 ONLY Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
A brand new thread for discussing ONLY the Mits hc4000.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If this is the Official Thread then we need to do the normal Spec thingy:

Projector Specifications HC4000

Display
Imaging Technology 0.65" 1-Chip DMD, 12deg.LVDS, DDP3021
Brightness/Lumens 1300 ANSI Lumens
Native Resolution 1920 x 1080
Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1200
Viewable Size 50-300 inches
Contrast Ratio 4,000 : 1 (on/off)
Color Wheel 6-segment (RGBRGB)

Lens
Lens Throw Ratio 1.38 - 2.06
Zoom & Focus Adjustment Manual Focus & Zoom Lens (Zoom Ratio 1.5:1)

Compatibility
PC, MAC Compatibility Yes

Operation
Scanning Frequency [H] 15 - 80 kHz
[V] 50 - 85 Hz
[Dot clock] max.170 MHz

Interface
NTSC, PAL, SECAM NTSC / NTSC 4.43 / PAL (including PAL-M, N) / SECAM / PAL-60
Component Video: 480i/p(525i/p), 576i/p(625i/p), 720p(750p), 1080i(1125i 60Hz), 1080i(1125i 50Hz), 1080P(50Hz,60Hz,24Hz)
Computer/Video Input Support RGB: mini D-sub 15pin x 1
Video: RCA x 1 + S-VIDEO x 1
Component Video: RCA x 3
Digital: HDMI x 1
12V Trigger Yes
Computer Monitor Loop-Out No
RS-232 Communication Support RS232C: Mini DIN 8pin x 1
Audio Speaker N/A
Audio Out N/A
USB Mouse Support N/A

Lamp
Estimated Lamp Life Rating 5000 hours (low mode)
Usage Replacement Lamp VLT-HC3800LP

Noise Level
Decibels 31dBA (standard mode)
25dBA (low mode)

Physical
Weight 7.7 lbs.
Dimensions (W x H x D) 13.6" x 5.1" x 10.6"
Power Consumption 340W
Standby: 0.5W
Power Requirements AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz

Service and Support
2-Years Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
1-Year or 500-Hours lamp warranty (whichever comes first)

Included Accessories
Remote control (w/ 2 batteries), Power cable, VGA(D-sub) cable, User Manual, User Manual CD, Safety Manual, Lens Cap, Lamp replacment attachment

Mitsubishi Official Projector Calculator - http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/bu....html?p=hc4000

Service menu Access:
up/down/enter on the Projector at same time.

HDMI Cable Length setting:
Accessed through the normal user menu - Settings - Language - leave the cursor on your language - press Auto Position, Enter, Auto PositionA

Bulb Timer - Starts at hour 10 and counts up from that point.

Mitsubishi HC4000 CIH (Constant Image Height) information -

How to Enable - If using a 2.35 screen, one can set that option in the Install menu (iirc); then, to switch between 2.35 and 16:9 content, simply press the Aspect button on the remote. This projects a 16:9 letter boxed image in the middle of the 2.35 image size, black bars will be on the side. The aspect button makes it easy to switch between 2.35 and 16:9 without needing an anamorphic lens, although it does come with some cons, see below.

Offset Calculation - To figure out offset etc, plug in the width of your 2.35 screen as the width in the calculator. This will calculate throw, offset etc for what is actually being projected, which is a large 16:9 frame with a letterboxed 16:9 image. In other words, a 120" wide 2.35 screen means an actual projected image of 120" x 67.5", or a 137" 16:9 image. The offset for this size image would be 22.7" from the center of the lens.

Pros - When running with a 2.35 setup gives you the ability to digitally raise/lower the 2.35 image, within the 16:9 frame of the projector. This will give you a larger 2.35 image but depending on the size of the 2.35 image, the 16:9 image may be smaller then desired, depends on viewing content and desirable 16:9 screen size.

Cons - The 16:9 content is being digitally scaled down to fit in the 2.35 screen. This means that instead of using 1920x1080 pixels, you are only using something like 1446 x 817. So you are not getting the full resolution of the projector OR the content, making 1:1 pixel-mapping impossible and giving up some sharpness. In addition, as compared to 16:9 content on a 16:9 screen, the pixels will be bigger and the image dimmer, since this 16:9 content is being projected as a smaller image inside the much larger ACTUAL projected image.

Reviews:

Projector Central Shootout - http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...80p_review.htm

Projector Reviews -Art Feierman -http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...4000/index.php

HomeTheater.com - Scott Wilkinson - http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...-dlp-projector

War Eagle!!!
post #3 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

I have some more screen shots from last night LOTR - The fellowship of the Ring, watching it on DVD, picture even on DVD is great....will update with pictures tonight...I know I read some folks making comments about watching LOTR on this projector would be BAD, but that is not what I am experiencing...awesome is my just awesome...I'm sure I could have better blacks but with my grey screen and once I got things calibrated correctly, it just looks great...Another movie that I think is very very dark that I think a lot of folks forget about is Master and Commander...going to watch it tonight and will take some pics....

War Eagle!!!
post #4 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

A brand new thread for discussing ONLY the Mits hc4000.
I created this thread because no-one else would, instead everyone got upset for me posting comparisons in the Mits thread.

Now I won't post here much, and definitely not anything other than about the Mits itself.
I still think for calibrations someone needs to make a ANOTHER separate thread.

IMHO I think calibrations should go here also, anything specifically relating to the mits HC4000 that is, settings etc...my .02 as usual

War Eagle!!!
post #5 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

As promised LOTR Fellowship pictures, this is extended DVD version...

The last picture came out too blue, it wasn't this blue on the screen actually had more pink too it, but I didn't know how to adjust my photo...

I know I read some opinions that LOTR was not watchable on a mits HC4000, but I have a feeling that they have never seen it on the mits, picture even on dvd looked great...

Going to go watch Master and commander on Blu, thats a very dark movie...will see if I can get some shots...

War Eagle!!!
post #6 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post
I know I read some opinions that LOTR was not watchable on a mits HC4000, but I have a feeling that they have never seen it on the mits, picture even on dvd looked great...
There is nothing unwatchable on the Mits, that is a bunch of propaganda for PURCHASE justification.

The Mits is practically calibrated out of the box except for a bit red shift and fixing the gamma curve. Sure there are some other things you can do to the color gamut as well, but in the mid-level IRE's everything nearly spot on anyways, so for brighter scenes the calibration is pretty damn good OTB, better than OTHER projectors I have seen, except maybe the Sony SXRD's, but the Mits and Sony are pretty close on OTB accuracy. Although I actually preferred the Mit's OTB red shift vs. the Sony's slightly pale skin tones.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Here are some pics from Master and Commander - Blu ray

Enough for tonight picture was a joy to watch....

War Eagle!!!
post #8 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like your threads and input coderguy, but the other HC4000 is big. Why 2? Its a lot of reading for newbies and adds to searches when looking up info....
post #9 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkson View Post
I like your threads and input coderguy, but the other HC4000 is big. Why 2? Its a lot of reading for newbies and adds to searches when looking up info....
Thanks, at least someone appreciates my hard work, lol.

Because the other thread is so big, that's why we created this one.

post #10 of 2860 Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Because certain HC4000 owners in that thread were complaining about the multiple comparison posts to other projectors. They weren't interested since they already own the HC4000 and were more interested in HC4000-only tips, tricks, issues, etc.
post #11 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

And just in case here is the link to the fist HC4000 topic.
post #12 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopt View Post

Here are some pics from Master and Commander - Blu ray

Hey bishopt - Those look great! What screen are you using? I don't see any black bars in the pictures and believe it is a 2.40:1 movie...

"When did t.v. watching become so complicated?"
post #13 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Bum View Post

Hey bishopt - Those look great! What screen are you using? I don't see any black bars in the pictures and believe it is a 2.40:1 movie...

I gotten better at taking pictures, so you won't see the black bars since I would have to over-expose the pictures to lighten things up enough to see them. I use center weighted to adjust the brightness for the brightest thing on the screen, so every thing outside of the movie appears black. If I took it and had the bars show up it would make the movie parts too light....now saying that my bars are pretty dark, I have a jamestown HCG (High contrast Grey) and I know it helps drop the bars and make them darker I think it also helps the over all picture with dark scenes but that is my opinion..So far I have watched a lot of Dark movies and they all look great, would I like better contrast and blacker blacks...you bet, but you would have to spend a lot more to get that...I really like the mits a lot, been watching movies almost every night...

War Eagle!!!
post #14 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I wanted to pass one more thing along, so the last picture that I have from master and commander, if you look closely at his fingers, the mits is so sharp that you can read the tattoo lettering on his fingers, which says HOLD FAST...incredible.

War Eagle!!!
post #15 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

A lot of valuable information to 4000 owners is being lost. Usually the moderators prevent duplicate threads. There was really only one person who posted off topic big-time. So there is a lot of humorous irony in the explanation for beginning this new thread.
Here is a link to my informational posts on the 4000 that will undoubtedly get repeated here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19919502

I am satisfied with every aspect of the Mitsubishi 4000 performance, but each month that passes by, brings us closer to the second generation of 2D/3D projectors. Front projectors create the most impressive 3D image when correctly implemented as the large size is thrilling to view. If you can afford the expected ~$2.5k price and hold off a purchase until late this year, then it makes little sense to purchase twice in a short time. In other words, 2D only projectors will relegated to budget home theaters.
post #16 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This guy will always complain, I think more than not, 90% of the people value the information I posted.

I did a FAIR shoot-out since no-one else would, the Mits won, but I think the Sanyo and Epson are a close second for RBE sensitive people, haven't owned the Benq.

post #17 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

There was really only one person who posted off topic big-time. So there is a lot of humorous irony in the explanation for beginning this new thread.

And the humorous double irony was you were posting about blu ray players, receivers and hdmi switchers, which isn't anymore OT than someone posting about another brand PJ vs. the HC4000. In fact, I think it was more OT than posting about any PJ vs. the HC4000, but that's just me

Yet I didn't complain at all about it. Didn't bother me.
post #18 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You could have asked the person to stay on topic(you probably did) and when they refused report them to the mod. Then the thread would have gotten back OT.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #19 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:

This guy will always complain...

I really like the Sanyo's post calibrated Dynamic mode now.

Here you go off-topic again. You can't even follow your own rule!
Thanks for the chuckle.

Members who want to read of the current projector ratings can subscribe to Consumer Reports or read the other Mitsubishi thread before it too went off-topic.
post #20 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

You could have asked the person to stay on topic(you probably did) and when they refused report them to the mod. Then the thread would have gotten back OT.

I did write twice to separate moderators to no effect. Silence.
post #21 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You are off-topic complaining. So I don't have a right to defend myself now.
Throws a tomato at this clown.
Everyone remembers what started this, you insulted several people in the other thread (including me).
You don't make the rules here, stop threatening me with moderators. If you want to go there, we'll go back to the original insults you posted.
Comparing a projector to another is half the purpose of this forum.

You are not the OFF-TOPIC police, a comparison is valid, you again snipped one line of my post.

post #22 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys I wasn't part of the other thread, so I don't know the history. How about everyone let the past go and just stay OT in this thread.

post #23 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

He claims it was off-topic in the other thread because I did the comparisons that many were dying to see, Sony LCOS vs. Mits, Sanyo z4000 vs. Mits, the comparisons that were lacking in the reviews that ARE very valid due to similar price ranges (at least at the time).
Some of these "reviewers" he claims are the ultimate source had originally preferred the Panny 3000 over the Mits hc3800.

I think the reviewer that preffered the Panny, well I still respect him, I just think he did the same thing I ALMOST did a couple times, which is jumping to conclusions before spend enough time calibrating, re-calibrating, calibrating again, calibrating, and more calibrating.

That's why all my reviews were heavily scrutiinzed and edited after many many calibrations I had to do to get the pictures and color identical when doing shoot-outs.

post #24 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I understand, I did read the comparisons in that thread, but kind of checked out after that , so I missed all the fireworks. Guys just move past all that stuff and just start fresh, every thread gets OT at some point. Both you guys have a lot of post on AVS so you know how things get crazy. Just let that past stuff go and move on. How about you guys agree to disagree and move on?

post #25 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:

You are off-topic complaining. So I don't have a right to defend myself now.
Throws a tomato at this clown.
Everyone remembers what started this, you insulted several people in the other thread (including me).
You don't make the rules here, stop threatening me with moderators. If you want to go there, we'll go back to the original insults you posted.
Comparing a projector to another is half the purpose of this forum.

You are not the OFF-TOPIC police, a comparison is valid, you again snipped one line of my post.

Are you keeping your 4000 or do the flashbulbs going off in the dark scenes still bother you?
post #26 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How ironic the person who railroaded the original thread in the ditch with pages and pages of useless information starts a thread like this. LMAO...
post #27 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let's keep this on topic, if you want to insult me, do so in a PRIVATE MESSAGE as to prevent the thread from getting off track, I created this thread because no-one else would, and because of these same types of insults targeted at me in the first place filling up the other thread.

post #28 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all this info, it is great. Specially for folks like me that don´t have access to amazing deals or return policies and have to pay in foreign currencies where most of the time is more expensive.

I have one question regarding the screw size on the HC4000 for the ceiling mount. Do any of you have the exact match?

Thanks.
post #29 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It uses three M4 bolts. You can get them at a hardware store or in the "specialty" bolt and screw drawers at Home Depot or Lowes.

post #30 of 2860 Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM

Is it true that the placement of this projector is less forgiving? I am thinking about this projector for my first. Was wanting to ceiling mount from about 13.5 feet away on a 106 inch screen that would start about 10 inches from the ceiling. I want a high picture because I have a central air intake vent that blocks the lower portion of the wall. Could I achieve these goals with this projector? So far this seems to be better than the Epson 8350.

P.S. Coderguy, your a pure asset to this site. I have been reading your post almost religiously. Some of you people should be ashamed of how you have treated this guy. He didn't and doesn't have to post all of his valuable finds, yet volunteers to. Either appreciate it, or keep comments to yourself. That simple.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page