Benq W1200 and W1100 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 353 Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

One more thing about picture adjustments:

Brilliant color has to be on for advanced picture adjustments. I seriously wonder if some people missed this and blames being unable to adjust the picture on other things.

I just saw the W6000 at Fry's today and was unimpressed. My W1100 produces a better picture. This brings me to another point. The only way to determine the relative PQ of a projector is to compare it to another projector. This is important for people looking for projector advice because often times they will hear glowing recommendations for a particular projector over other projectors from people have only seen the projector they recommend.

Amen brother!

I completely 100% agree with this. Although I bet Fry's doesn't have it calibrated perfectly due to lamp wear or other factors. The only real way to compare two projectors accurately is to own both at the same time (unfortunately), but it wouldn't suprise me if the Benq w1100 beats the w6000 in bright scenes, although which projector wins probably will depend on what content you are viewing (we know the w6000 will win in Black levels).

I also am VERY prone to think that peoples issues with the Benq w1100 are just not having their settings right from their video cards and what not. Many projectors require some adjustments in this matter for HTPC, not just the Benq w1100. I would not advise random people to go to the Benq w1000+ over the w1100 due to the color wheel speed (a lot more people are RBE sensitive at 3x or 2x than they are at 4x)...

I have not seen the Benq w1100 and I adamantly state that when I sometimes recommend the hc4000 over the Benq. Other times I recommend the Benq over the Mits, depends what the poster is wanting. I don't consider black levels very important in the SUB $2k arena due to the fact that most projectors with GOOD black levels are lacking in BRIGHT SCENE POP. I just feel that the Mits hc4000 is a good balance of these two factors, and some people do want the extra (1) year warranty of the Mits regardless, and the Mits has 2.35 capability which the Benq's don't have.

Anyhow, the new Benq's are a welcome addition to the Sub $1500 DLP market, finally some DLP projectors with different strengths than the Mits hc4000 and added brightness at around the same price. So I feel that there are times to recommend the Mits and other times the Benq, both great projectors!

I have seen most of the other projectors I talk about though (I have probably seen 20+ projectors now, and owned around 6 recent models).
I don't think EVERYONE has to have seen every projector to make a recommendation, but before making a recommendation they should have seen at least a few so they can place it correctly.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coderguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 353 Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Member
 
wallinski72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that there is some discussion about what picture adjustments are available for adjustment and which are not, thought I'd mention my issues once more as it seems like more and more people are trying or buying this projector.

I have everything hooked up via HDMI to a Onkyo 3007 receiver set to "through" which according to Onkyo manual means that signal from source should pass untouched.

Blu-ray player
Xbox 360
PS 3
Mac mini (media center)
Satellite tv box

I have brilliant color on and can adjust the advanced settings on all connections. HDMI signal is set to video (have also tried pc).

On basic picture adjustment page I can only adjust brightness and contrast for all connection except satellite tv box.

I would at least be able to set sharpness to zero because it looks like it defaults to 8, I am not sure though if this is applied because it is greyed out. I would prefer to be able to make simple adjustments to color and tint on this page instead of having to start going into the individual color settings on advanced page.

I understand the whole procedure with setting it to a user preset and then setting a preset as starting point to be able to change settings but nothing really helps me. Been playing around quite a bit and found no solution. Is it to much to ask to be able to change color, sharpness, tint? I am assuming it has something to do with the signal the receiver gives out. Strange thing is that it is also hooked up to a samsung plasma and there all settings are available.
wallinski72 is offline  
post #93 of 353 Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Member
 
Klaus F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Art's review of the W1200 is up. No offense but as allways I am really anoid by the screenshots he posts.
Many of them are wrongly linked, showing some other projectors screenshots when you click on them.
Exposure is all over the place and if you think you found one you could compare, it is of a different size or a different frame.
Then there are a number of different scenes that are not used in other reviews and so take away the possibility to compare.
He is a nice guy and I admire his passion but consistency is not his strength.


It could be so easy:
1. Allways use the same size of image
2. Set the camera always on the same spot
3. Find an average brightness and try to tune each Projector to it
4. Use only manual settings on the camera and the same settings for
the same scenes
5. Always crop to the same size
6. Use the same scenes and frames for each projector
7. Pay attention to link to the right pics


If this is done, than those people that have no possibility to
compare projectors first hand will have a pretty good overview
on the performance of different projectors.
This works for sharpness, blacklevel, shadow detail, and depending on
the dynamic range of the camera,for 3D impression.

Greets,
Klaus
Klaus F. is offline  
post #94 of 353 Old 06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
elfinke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can any of the W1200 owners comment on the PiP feature? This is extremely relevant to where my next HT purchase goes, but only if the PiP feature does what I want from it.

Basically, I want to be able to display cable TV on one portion, and say, the PC or a console on the other segment. Does the W1200 allow for this, and if so, with what level of customisation?

Cheers!

/edit: While I'd still like some input from owners, I've been reading through the manual (found here) and it has answered most of my questions.
elfinke is offline  
post #95 of 353 Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Newbie
 
shearer09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I notice there's some debate about which basic controls are available (brightness, contrast, etc). I've had my W1100 for 2 weeks now and it appears that control availability is all down to colourspace detection? When I run a blu-ray disk off my PS3, all basic calibration controls are useable - W1100 senses this as YUV (the standard all disk based media uses I believe?) If I stream content off my NAS via the PS3 only brightness and contrast are available - the W1100 is sensing this as RGB!

I have also found the W1100 will remember the settings for each colourspace - i.e User1 will bring up the contrast, brightness, etc depending on whether it was done whilst displaying YUV or RGB. So I found I had to run my calibration disk twice - once natively output as YUV and then again after forcing the PS3 to output BD/DVD as RGB.

Happy to be proved wrong but hope this helps
shearer09 is offline  
post #96 of 353 Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The W1100 has a $200 rebate going on now. So what I'm interested in is how it'd match up with the Optoma HD20 for movie watching. Is it gonna worth the extra $100?
dezau is offline  
post #97 of 353 Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Should be worth the extra $100 for its sharpness, but hard to know for sure without comparing them directly.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coderguy is offline  
post #98 of 353 Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chumpchange21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure it's worth it. The contrast and picture quality on the BenQ should be better. The BenQ should be brighter, and also has a larger zoom. Plus you have other features such as PIP. They have a new integration that allows projector cooling after unplugging it which I think is quite sweet!

But if coder could do a side-by-side comparison, that's the best solution to make final judgement

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
chumpchange21 is offline  
post #99 of 353 Old 06-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 View Post

I'm sure it's worth it. The contrast and picture quality on the BenQ should be better. The BenQ should be brighter, and also has a larger zoom. Plus you have other features such as PIP. They have a new integration that allows projector cooling after unplugging it which I think is quite sweet!

But if coder could do a side-by-side comparison, that's the best solution to make final judgement

yes. i ordered the w1100, and it shud be here on friday. meanwhile i have the hd20 borrowed from my frd. i shud be able to do a side by side comparison to tell future buyers.
well anyhow, my main concern was just that the w1100 is more like a multimedia projector rather than a home theatre projector. i didn't know how it'd hold up while using it to watch movies. i guess we'll know on friday
dezau is offline  
post #100 of 353 Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone has like a set of calibration settings that i could go and sample with btw? i heard the color out of the box on the w1100 is no where near calibrated
dezau is offline  
post #101 of 353 Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chumpchange21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezau View Post

yes. i ordered the w1100, and it shud be here on friday. meanwhile i have the hd20 borrowed from my frd. i shud be able to do a side by side comparison to tell future buyers.
well anyhow, my main concern was just that the w1100 is more like a multimedia projector rather than a home theatre projector. i didn't know how it'd hold up while using it to watch movies. i guess we'll know on friday

Please do a comparison for us between the HD20 and W1100

Actually I think you should be quite pleased with the W1100. So far I've only read positive comments regarding it!

You could probably PM David1, he owns one, maybe he can give you calibration settings.

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
chumpchange21 is offline  
post #102 of 353 Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Davidt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezau View Post

yes. i ordered the w1100, and it shud be here on friday. meanwhile i have the hd20 borrowed from my frd. i shud be able to do a side by side comparison to tell future buyers.
well anyhow, my main concern was just that the w1100 is more like a multimedia projector rather than a home theatre projector. i didn't know how it'd hold up while using it to watch movies. i guess we'll know on friday

I hope yours will have firmware higher than V1.0, which is a little buggy. Picture quality, IMO, is excellent for both HDTV and Bluray. If the picture is sharp and vibrant, which you get with this projector, it shouldn't matter what you use it for. The only calibrations I have done on mine is the most basic with a calibration disc.
Davidt1 is offline  
post #103 of 353 Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. So... This is gonna be a short out of the box impression, i'll post a longer update when I have the time.

WOW... PQ wise, it's so much better and brighter than the HD20, it's definitely worth the extra $100. I've always found the HD20 to be a bit dim and always out of focus. The BenQ with the larger aperture lens does not have that problem

However, there's 1 big potential problem though. I'm using a 50 ft HDMI cable to link my desktop computer to my PJ.
There are these random red dots flickering around some scenes, and it's really annoying.
I don't know if it's the PJ's lack of ability to handle a weak signal or what, but the HD20, nor did my Samsung flat screen had this problem.
Now I might try to use a shorter, say 25 ft cable and see if the problem persists.
Or is it just that I have a defective unit?

Other than that, I'm pretty much satisfied with my first PJ.

p.s. I haven't touched the calibrations yet other than setting rgb to 120, 100 and 100 based off form a "standard" setting.
dezau is offline  
post #104 of 353 Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok so while the 25ft yield less "red dots"... it still has a significant amount of it.
anyone know the cause of this?




blue dots...? wt the?





I'm leaning towards that i've received a defective model?
dezau is offline  
post #105 of 353 Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
btw, is there a way to force the onboard speakers off? It's causing some problems with the HDMI passthrough audio with my PS3 and reciever.
dezau is offline  
post #106 of 353 Old 06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mikes2cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hook up a hi def device with a short known good cable. If problem persists I would return the unit.
Mikes2cents is offline  
post #107 of 353 Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's what I'm saying. is BenQ's panel simply worse than Optoma's? cuz I thought since HDMI is digital, length don't really matter as long as the panel's good enough to receive the signals.
---edit---
ok so here's what becomes weirder..
i have a pc, a ps3/xbox hooked up to a a/v receiver, 1 25ft, 1 50 ft.

When I pair 50ft with PC, weird flickering red dots appear.
When I pair 50ft with PS3 & receiver, image jumps up and down, no flickering dots but no sound (see below)
When I pair 25ft with PC, less dot, but image would start jumping up and down too
When I pair 25ft with PS3 & receiver, perfect image, no sound (see below)

I was asking about a way to disable onboard speakers cuz... whenever I pair it with the PS3/AV receiver, no audio'd come out thru the home theater, and sound is not coming out from the pj either.
when i go into the sound settings on the ps3, it reads HDMI audio not available.
Now mind u if the same setup (ps3/av receiver) is paired with my monitor/flat screen, audio'd pass out to the home theater.
(I have already disabled hdmi audio output on the receiver)

Now I'm getting REALLY frustrated since the HD20 has none of this problems... the BenQ has really a much brighter and sharper image, but with problems like these, i might as well try the epson 8350 or the mitsu hc4000

also another problem i ran into is the pj even in economic mode is still a tad bit too bright for a relatively dark room... image does pop, but your eyes WOULD hurt a little after watching a 3 hr movie.

anyway, anyone who could help me with the situation in any way is much appreciated. the benq hotline didn't really give me anything useful.
dezau is offline  
post #108 of 353 Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Member
 
dezau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
alright guys, problem just got weirder again.

red dots are gone.
but ps3 + a/v still no sound.
then again.. xbox + a/v has audio... wtf?

sth wrong with the ps3?
but ps3 + a/v works with monitor/tv.
so... urghhhh??
dezau is offline  
post #109 of 353 Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys just got the benq w1100 today! I bought it at frys for 999...priced matched projectorpeople.com. I don't really have much to compare it to besides hdvs but just on defaults it looks awesome!! So far everything seems to be good with it. I have a few questions though...
Is there any way at all to change the vertical of this projector? Right now I have it on top of a little bookcase I have and it projects the image about 54" off the ground. A little high...
are my only options to put the projector lower or ceiling mount it??
Also is there a way to see how big the image is in the settings or do you have to measure it yourself?
undersinjake is offline  
post #110 of 353 Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Re-positioning an image physically
Inexpensive DLP projectors like the Benq w1100 do not have any lens shift to allow a projector to re-position an image outside the LENS native projection area, but instead DLP's like the Benq just have keystone and manual ZOOM. LCD and LCOS projectors or mid-priced to higher-end DLP's will usually provide LENS SHIFT and Keystone. Keystone is not as diverse as lens shift, but if you have no other choice then you can physically TILT the projector to move the image down and use keystone to correct the resulting trapezoidal effect. Note though that KEYSTONE is generally not a recommended thing to be using, but using a little bit of keystone does not do that much harm to the image quality (some may disagree, really its personal preference). So lens shift (which the Benq doesn't have) will do less overall HARM in degrading the image than keystone does, but sometimes I've noticed even a tiny bit of lens shift has almost the same perceivable effect as a tiny bit of keystone (hence if you use keystone very conservatively). Technically speaking, lens shift does not affect resolution at all and keeps 1:1 pixel mapping, but keystone does reduce the resolution, and how much resolution is lost is dependant on how much keystone you are using to compensate for the trapezoidal effect created when you tilt the projector.

To create the titling, most projectors usually have wheels on the bottom that enable you to do this tilting for shelf mounting, but if you ceiling mounted it then the MOUNT itself would have the ability to TILT. If the trapezoidal effect is not bothersome enough to be noticed after slightly tilting the projector (hence you didn't tilt that much), then you don't even have to enable keystone. So this means the ONLY problem with keystone is it will blur the image a bit and widen the pixel mapping, but just using a LITTLE keystone and a SLIGHT tilting is often not very noticeable in movies.

Digital Position Shifting
If I remember correctly, the Benq does not provide DIGITAL adjustments when viewing 2.35, but I really am not sure as I have never owned this projector. Some DLP's have some DIGITAL positioning capabilities, but most only do this within the confines of a 16:9 area if watching a 2.35 image, hence they are really just re-positioning the image because the 2.35 image did not take up the full 16:9 area (which this lens always projects a 16:9 area because that is the NATIVE size of the lens projection).

How big of an image
There is no method for the projector to know how big of an image it is projecting because it does not know the distance to the wall. It would be kind of a neat feature for a projector to have this ability, a manufacturer could add a laser measure to a projector which feeds back the data to the electronics on the projector based on screen distance and current zoom setting, but it's not a necessary feature so MOST projectors will never have such a thing.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coderguy is offline  
post #111 of 353 Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Re-positioning an image physically
Inexpensive DLP projectors like the Benq w1100 do not have any lens shift to allow a projector to re-position an image outside the LENS native projection area, but instead DLP's like the Benq just have keystone and manual ZOOM. LCD and LCOS projectors or mid-priced to higher-end DLP's will usually provide LENS SHIFT and Keystone. Keystone is not as diverse as lens shift, but if you have no other choice then you can physically TILT the projector to move the image down and use keystone to correct the resulting trapezoidal effect. Note though that KEYSTONE is generally not a recommended thing to be using, but using a little bit of keystone does not do that much harm to the image quality (some may disagree, really its personal preference). So lens shift (which the Benq doesn't have) will do less overall HARM in degrading the image than keystone does, but sometimes I've noticed even a tiny bit of lens shift has almost the same perceivable effect as a tiny bit of keystone (hence if you use keystone very conservatively). Technically speaking, lens shift does not affect resolution at all and keeps 1:1 pixel mapping, but keystone does reduce the resolution, and how much resolution is lost is dependant on how much keystone you are using to compensate for the trapezoidal effect created when you tilt the projector.

To create the titling, most projectors usually have wheels on the bottom that enable you to do this tilting for shelf mounting, but if you ceiling mounted it then the MOUNT itself would have the ability to TILT. If the trapezoidal effect is not bothersome enough to be noticed after slightly tilting the projector (hence you didn't tilt that much), then you don't even have to enable keystone. So this means the ONLY problem with keystone is it will blur the image a bit and widen the pixel mapping, but just using a LITTLE keystone and a SLIGHT tilting is often not very noticeable in movies.

Digital Position Shifting
If I remember correctly, the Benq does not provide DIGITAL adjustments when viewing 2.35, but I really am not sure as I have never owned this projector. Some DLP's have some DIGITAL positioning capabilities, but most only do this within the confines of a 16:9 area if watching a 2.35 image, hence they are really just re-positioning the image because the 2.35 image did not take up the full 16:9 area (which this lens always projects a 16:9 area because that is the NATIVE size of the lens projection).

How big of an image
There is no method for the projector to know how big of an image it is projecting because it does not know the distance to the wall. It would be kind of a neat feature for a projector to have this ability, a manufacturer could add a laser measure to a projector which feeds back the data to the electronics on the projector based on screen distance and current zoom setting, but it's not a necessary feature so MOST projectors will never have such a thing.

thanks!
If I wanted to tilt it how would I do so with the w1100? It has the adjuster in the front but that doesnt help me lol
undersinjake is offline  
post #112 of 353 Old 06-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also i have my projector as far back as I can .... the wall is 12' back but since the projector is about a foot it would be closer to 11'.. What size screen would that be on full zoom? I think I am getting about a 100" or so screen. Kinda wishing I could go bigger.
undersinjake is offline  
post #113 of 353 Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Davidt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezau View Post

alright guys, problem just got weirder again.

red dots are gone.
but ps3 + a/v still no sound.
then again.. xbox + a/v has audio... wtf?

sth wrong with the ps3?
but ps3 + a/v works with monitor/tv.
so... urghhhh??

I really don't know what's going with your setup. I don't have any of problems you have. I am posting my setup. Maybe it can be of some help.

My W1100 is placed on a dresser every viewing and stored away afterward.

I connect a Panasonic BDT210 bluray to a Denon receiver to the W1100

HDMI cable from bluray to receiver is 3ft long. HDMI cable from receiver to W1100 is 6ft long.

My receiver has an option to send HDMI audio to speakers or to the display. I chose the speakers option. No sound is coming out of the W1100 speakers.

As for the W1100 being too bright, you can always adjust the brightness or choose a mode that is not so bright. Or wait until the projector has about 300hrs on it.

Oh, here is a picture of my bedroom setup. You don't have to have a dedicated theater to enjoy the projector experience.
Davidt1 is offline  
post #114 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

I really don't know what's going with your setup. I don't have any of problems you have. I am posting my setup. Maybe it can be of some help.

My W1100 is placed on a dresser every viewing and stored away afterward.

I connect a Panasonic BDT210 bluray to a Denon receiver to the W1100

HDMI cable from bluray to receiver is 3ft long. HDMI cable from receiver to W1100 is 6ft long.

My receiver has an option to send HDMI audio to speakers or to the display. I chose the speakers option. No sound is coming out of the W1100 speakers.

As for the W1100 being too bright, you can always adjust the brightness or choose a mode that is not so bright. Or wait until the projector has about 300hrs on it.

Oh, here is a picture of my bedroom setup. You don't have to have a dedicated theater to enjoy the projector experience.

Did you make that stand? How high on the wall is it like that? seems like it would be pretty high?
How big of an image are you getting?

When turning this projector on and off how long after you turn it on should you wait to turn it off? How long is ok to leave it on? How soon can you turn it back on after turning it off?
undersinjake is offline  
post #115 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Davidt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
undersinjake,

Yes I made the stand. The lens is 37'' from the floor. Yes, it is high. The top of the screen almost touches the ceiling. This is ideal for watching while lying in bed. Not ideal for sitting on a low chair though. I have a 92'' screen from a throw distance of 9.5ft. I have to use the widest zoom to fill the screen.

I wait for at least 30 minutes before turning it on again. I have left it on for as long as 8hrs. The longer you can wait between turning on and off the better for the lamp.
Davidt1 is offline  
post #116 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

undersinjake,

Yes I made the stand. The lens is 37'' from the floor. Yes, it is high. The top of the screen almost touches the ceiling. This is ideal for watching while lying in bed. Not ideal for sitting on a low chair though. I have a 92'' screen from a throw distance of 9.5ft. I have to use the widest zoom to fill the screen.

I wait for at least 30 minutes before turning it on again. I have left it on for as long as 8hrs. The longer you can wait between turning on and off the better for the lamp.

ok thank you! yeah I have mine about 11' and can get about a 100" screen with the widest zoom. Wish I could get a bigger screen though!!
undersinjake is offline  
post #117 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, I know you guys were saying minimal keystone should be ok... what qualifies as minimal? It goes up to 20 in each direction
undersinjake is offline  
post #118 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
brzez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dezau,

The red and green dots are due to your hdmi cable. I also have a 50ft hdmi run and had to go through five different cables before I found one that worked. I found that the thicker the cable the less dots in general. Microcenter (if you have one near you) has some good 50ft hdmi cables at good prices (make sure you get the thickest one).

As for the audio, this is a receiver issue in how it passes through audio information to the source (some receivers pass the audio porperties of the projector and some pass the audio properties of the receiver -- it can vary for different resolutions). Make sure your receiver has the latest firmware and is set up correctly for passthru -- in your case you only want vidoe passthru).
brzez is offline  
post #119 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
brzez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For all the new W1100 owners out there how is the rainbow effect? I'm considering this projector and while I'm not too sensitive to rainbows my wife is very sensitive.
brzez is offline  
post #120 of 353 Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzez View Post

For all the new W1100 owners out there how is the rainbow effect? I'm considering this projector and while I'm not too sensitive to rainbows my wife is very sensitive.


i'm not sure if I am sensitive to the rainbow effect or not, but as far as I can see.. there is not one.
undersinjake is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off