Uneven Image? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello AVS.
I recently purchased my 1st projector. Optima HD20. I'm having a very annoying problem that I just can't seem to fix. My image can never seem to be even. The problem doesn't seem to be if I'm centering the image or anything like that. Its as if the image if always at an angle. The right part of the image seems to go lower then the top left. So it seems impossible to center my image to the screen. Is this just normal tech of a projector? Or is this an easy fix I just can't seem to figure out? Thanks in advanced.

Juke
JukeBox360 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Maybe i didn't manage to word it right. Image a perfectly level line. You now have a piece of 2x4. It' warped so no matter what you do you can't seem to level the wood to the line. That's the problem I'm having.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #3 of 39 Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 PM
 
Benito Joaquin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are both your projector and screen level?

Benito
Benito Joaquin is offline  
post #4 of 39 Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Maybe i didn't manage to word it right. Image a perfectly level line. You now have a piece of 2x4. It' warped so no matter what you do you can't seem to level the wood to the line. That's the problem I'm having.

Probably a dumb question, but are you certain your screen isn't warped? Id also suggest taking the issue to the Optoma H20 thread. You might get more input there.
adrift is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 AM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the image trapezoid shaped? If so then the problem is the projector and/or screen is not level and plum or the projector is not perpendicular to the screen. If the sides of the image are bowed, that is a problem with the projector, unless your screen is not flat (curved).
mjg100 is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Are both your projector and screen level?

Benito

Yes. I've made sure my projector and screen is 100% leveled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Probably a dumb question, but are you certain your screen isn't warped? Id also suggest taking the issue to the Optoma H20 thread. You might get more input there.

100% positive the screen isn't warped. It does this action on anything I use. My screen, wall, etc... I can't figure it out for the life of me. I'll have to take some pics and post them up to show the real problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Is the image trapezoid shaped? If so then the problem is the projector and/or screen is not level and plum or the projector is not perpendicular to the screen. If the sides of the image are bowed, that is a problem with the projector, unless your screen is not flat (curved).

No, it has normal shape. Just seems to have a slight curve towards the top right. I've been trying pretty much everything i can do. It's not getting level. I've even moved the projector. Re leveled everything. Still can't get it to work ok.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Actually, I found a thread with the exact same problem. only he doesn't really notice because he's only using his wall. But you can see what I'm talking about it the following post. If you look at his last picture he shows a full view of his screen and set up. Now if you look at the top of the image. You will notice the top right of the image is much higher then the top left. Top right is closer to the roof. That's the same exact issue I'm having. Which is why the image seems uneven in my screen. Heres the post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=32
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Actually, I found a thread with the exact same problem. only he doesn't really notice because he's only using his wall. But you can see what I'm talking about it the following post. If you look at his last picture he shows a full view of his screen and set up. Now if you look at the top of the image. You will notice the top right of the image is much higher then the top left. Top right is closer to the roof. That's the same exact issue I'm having. Which is why the image seems uneven in my screen. Heres the post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=32

I wonder if its possible if maybe the lamp shifted within the projector at some point and that's causing the issue you're seeing. Maybe try reseating the lamp and see if that has any effect... Its pretty easy to do, just a few screws and its out, though there's a hidden screw under the sticker that tells you to check the manual for pulling the lamp out.
adrift is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
lewke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your projector may be level but it seems its not square to the screen.........turn it right or left depending on which side doesn't line up properly.....
lewke is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If the screen is flat and the line curves, then it is the projector. If the screen is flat and the line slopes, then most likely the projector is not properly lined up.
mjg100 is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
checklst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From a buliders stand point.........I have never seen a room that had a square wall............................I have seen walls,Floors,and ceilings ect....... slope anywhere from a 1/4 inch to 3 inches in a 10 ft span........Maybe the screen and projector are level and the room is off.

Just a thought
checklst is offline  
post #12 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ok, I've got it center. Now I have about 1 inch of light coming from the top of my frame. I'm guessing this is normal? Only choice is to make my frame wider?



Figured I could just add about 1/2 inch on each side and you wouldn't see anymore light other then were it's suppose to be. Good idea?
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
lewke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why is there light outside your screen?????? Are you trying to do zoom method CIH??? Is that screen 16:9???
lewke is offline  
post #14 of 39 Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post
Why is there light outside your screen?????? Are you trying to do zoom method CIH??? Is that screen 16:9???
I have no idea. No matter what the content is. Parts of the entire projector doesn't get any image. Just light. Thats part of it. The only thing i can think of to block that light is make a wider frame. If there's an easier way then i'll do it. Any ideas? I can't make my image any smaller. Then it wouldn't fill the frame perfectly like I've adjusted it to.The only problem I'm having is this little bit of light coming out the top. Black hides it which is why you can't see it anywhere else. So i'm thinking of just making my frame 1inch larger.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
lewke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
what size is your frame..are you sure its 16x9....something isn't adding up....take a picture of the whole thing, not just a portion.....plus some content should show a picture on the entire lighted area.....
lewke is offline  
post #16 of 39 Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

what size is your frame..are you sure its 16x9....something isn't adding up....take a picture of the whole thing, not just a portion.....plus some content should show a picture on the entire lighted area.....

I'm 100% positive it is 16x9. The light shown in the pic is just extra light. That portion of light has literally never been lightened up with actual picture. It's always just light.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #17 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
checklst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Somethings not right.........light leaks usually don't have square 90 degree corners. I think I would contact the dealer and report a possible issue with this unit for a possible return............I would not accept such a large uniform light leak. My quess is something is off in the light tunnel,lens or a mirrior ect.........
checklst is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bohanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just curious ?? Do you know for a fact that the wall and ceiling are square? If it is an older house you could have some building settle or if the walls have been squared to each other and not plum his could be an issue. Do you know if the projector is square to the wall?? I know if an LCD projector block is not aligned properly after servicing it can produce an off kilter keystone effect. You may want to run a laser level against the ceiling/ wall line and see if it's square first. If you don't have a laser level try a level as long as you can find. FYI ,,, I know very little about DLP projectors so take my advice for what it's worth.

Best of luck

Bohanna
Bohanna is offline  
post #19 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Based on everything everyone seems to be saying. I'm guessing this isn't something that is suppose to happen with any projector? I thought the entire point of the black frame around your image was to get rid of the extra light that shines but does not have an actual image.

I thought the point of a black frame or picture was to hide the extra light because the projector never fills the entire thing with an image?
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I believe the term was "masking?" Thats the point in having the black is for masking the other light?
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sheridan1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There should not BE any extra light with no image. That is not normal. Any part of the display area that does not have an image to project is not "turned on", making that area dark.
Sheridan1952 is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

There should not BE any extra light with no image. That is not normal. Any part of the display area that does not have an image to project is not "turned on", making that area dark.

Then I'm confused. This is my second one. Both do the same exact thing. I can try an exchange again. If it ha[pens again. I'm going to be even more confused.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
lewke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you're sure your screen is 16x9....then measure the lighted area of the projector, as it looks like 4x3...........also a picture of the entire screen and lighted image would make it easy for us to determine the problem.....

Are you sure you have the input source set at 16x9....the projector set to 16x9 also.....
lewke is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

If you're sure your screen is 16x9....then measure the lighted area of the projector, as it looks like 4x3...........also a picture of the entire screen and lighted image would make it easy for us to determine the problem.....

Are you sure you have the input source set at 16x9....the projector set to 16x9 also.....

Hmmm. Maybe I'm wording everything wrong. I'll take some pics right now and upload them with different content. I'll use Avatar as I'm sure everyone knows the format that movie is played in. I'll then take another picture of something in actual movie format. (Has the letter bars from top and bottom. Maybe these pics will help.

btw, I've noticed if I place the projector in 16:10 mode. Every bit of it shows picture. No extra light. Once placed in 16:9 the video is played in the screen. There is still light. But you can't see the light because of the black bars. IDK, I feel like I'm blabbing lol. I'll post pics. Maybe they will help a bit.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Hmmm. Maybe I'm wording everything wrong. I'll take some pics right now and upload them with different content. I'll use Avatar as I'm sure everyone knows the format that movie is played in. I'll then take another picture of something in actual movie format. (Has the letter bars from top and bottom. Maybe these pics will help.

btw, I've noticed if I place the projector in 16:10 mode. Every bit of it shows picture. No extra light. Once placed in 16:9 the video is played in the screen. There is still light. But you can't see the light because of the black bars. IDK, I feel like I'm blabbing lol. I'll post pics. Maybe they will help a bit.

16:10 mode? My HD20 has a mode for 16:9, 4:3, LBX, and Native. You can see them all on the remote. Are you referring maybe to your source? I might have missed it, but what's your projector hooked up to?
adrift is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

16:10 mode? My HD20 has a mode for 16:9, 4:3, LBX, and Native. You can see them all on the remote. Are you referring maybe to your source? I might have missed it, but what's your projector hooked up to?

Playstation3,Xbox360,PC,Cable. Mainly used for gaming and movies. As for the pics. Here they are. To me. Everything looks right.









As for the 16:10 thing I thought for sure i could select something like that. Maybe I've been mistaken. I'll check it again.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
lewke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just double check both source and projector are in 16:9 mode.....

Pictures look fine....is there extra light in those pictures, hard to tell.....
lewke is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewke View Post

Just double check both source and projector are in 16:9 mode.....

Pictures look fine....is there extra light in those pictures, hard to tell.....

Yeah. Both sources in 16:9. As for the extra light. Yes, there is extra light in these pictures. The black frame completely covers up the light. If my frame were white. You'd see it clear as day. I had to widen the border to get rid of it. The only way to see the extra light if if i change the color myself. Make it blue and place no signal. I'd then get a blue image and you'd see the blue clearly covering the black frame. But since the extra light is always just black/grey. You cannot see it when normal viewing.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
adrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The HD20 can display a couple of test patterns. One is all white light, the other is a grid pattern. What happens if you use the gird pattern? Does it just fill the screen or does it leak out into the outer edges where you're seeing the "extra" light?
adrift is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

The HD20 can display a couple of test patterns. One is all white light, the other is a grid pattern. What happens if you use the gird pattern? Does it just fill the screen or does it leak out into the outer edges where you're seeing the "extra" light?

Checking right now...... Yup. When I use grid or white the lines clearly showed on the black frame. Makes it visible clear as day. So does this mean something might be wrong? From what I hear it sure as heck sounds like this isn't a normal issue.
JukeBox360 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off