Optoma DV10 Lamp Error - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Optoma DV10 projector that is starting to act up. It has about 337 hours on it, but is a few years old. After being on for a while, the red lamp error indicator LED turns on and the projector enters its shutdown process. I can turn it back on and it'll run for a while again, before shutting down again.

I don't think it is actually overheating (or at least not legitimate high temperature overheating) because I tried running it without a bulb installed and after a while the lamp LED still turns on. It does seem to last a little longer if I run a fan over it, but I'm not sure if that's really due to the fan or it just behaving differently at different times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The lamp LED turns on (when lamp is removed) because there is no lamp. Projectors will NOT run without a lamp. They will attempt a start-up but shutdown.

Since your projector is a few years old, on the same lamp, I'm guessing that the lamp has aged and is too weak to maintain "fire", regardless of hours used. A common problem.

The only way to be sure is to replace the lamp.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I "tricked" the unit into running just fine with the lamp removed by holding in the switch that indicates if the lamp is in there or not. It started up and ran for a while before shutting down with the red lamp error indicator.

Can you explain more about the lamp being too old and unable to maintain "fire"? And how would the projector detect this problem and result in a lamp error detection.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The switch does NOT fool the projector into thinking the lamp is there, it is to make sure the lamp door is in place. ALL projectors will attempt to power up when no lamp is present, but because there is no lamp, there is no feedback to the ballast control and the projector shuts down, giving the lamp error indication.

Projectors are designed for specific lamps and have very specific power and current specs and these specs can vary significantly enough between the different makes and models. And there is also the physical aspects, such as focal length of the bulb, etc.

As lamps age, they decay. And part of that decay can be for the lamp to become too weak to maintain the "fire". When the lamp goes out, the projector detects this and gives the lamp error indication.

This can also occur when trying to use so-called "compatible" lamps. What happens there is they can be right on the edge of being compatible with the power and current specs for the projector but after a few hours, they fall out of that spec envelope and no longer work.

It is something that is well-documented and very common. And it is something I have encountered many times in my years of maintaining projectors for local companies. That is not to say that the lamp ballast is not at fault, that can happen, as well. But I have seen many more bulb failures than ballast failures.

Unfortunately, there is no way to test other than installing a new lamp. You could try measuring the voltage, but you run the risk of severe electrical shock because most lamps fire on a very high voltage, then settle down to a running voltage. But without knowing what those voltages are supposed to be, you're still in the dark.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, thank you for the explanation, Sheridan. That helps a bunch and gives me something to try.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 AM

Sheridan,

Your explanation was very informative. I have one question.
I have a situation where the bulb just turns on a gives a pale rectangle on the screen. The lamp LED does not turn on.

But nothing works. I dont get the DV10 default screen and no display at all. All I see is a pale blank rectangle on the screen.

Is it time to change the bulb?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Hello,

I have the exact same issue now - The bulb just turns on a gives a pale rectangle on the screen. The lamp LED does not turn on.
The DVD starts and I get the sound - but nothing on the screen - Just a pale blank rectangle on the screen.

Is it time to change the bulb?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page