Should I upgrade from Infocus IN72? If so, what next? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I've been using an Infocus IN72 projector for the past three years and am in love with it. Its got about 1800 hours on it. Even though its only 480p, the colors are absolutely stunning and lifelike, brightness sufficient (I have a dedicated HT room) and trouble free usage. I've connected it to my HTPC and it now plays a range of content from DVDs to 1080p HD videos (leaning more towards the latter).

While both SD and HD videos look great, I want to know if I should upgrade my projector to 1080p. Does it really make a difference or am I trying to fix something that ain't broken yet? Or is it just an upgrade itch I'm facing? Or should I wait till this dies and then think about it?

Also, I am not very fond of LCD TVs because in my opinion and from what I've seen, they tend to make the picture very artificial, bright, pixellated and almost computer-game like. I continue to game on my CRT just to avoid the transition to LCD. Now, since I'm used to DLP technology and haven't faced any rainbow effect or screen door effect or whatever (or I'm not that sensitive to it) and since I'm not fond of LCD, what is the best upgrade choice for me in the $1000 category? Placement flexibility shouldn't be an issue because I can just take down my ceiling-mounted IN72 and replace it with another DLP projector, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-19-2011, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post

Guys, I've been using an Infocus IN72 projector for the past three years and am in love with it. Its got about 1800 hours on it. Even though its only 480p, the colors are absolutely stunning and lifelike, brightness sufficient (I have a dedicated HT room) and trouble free usage. I've connected it to my HTPC and it now plays a range of content from DVDs to 1080p HD videos (leaning more towards the latter).

While both SD and HD videos look great, I want to know if I should upgrade my projector to 1080p. Does it really make a difference or am I trying to fix something that ain't broken yet? Or is it just an upgrade itch I'm facing? Or should I wait till this dies and then think about it?

Also, I am not very fond of LCD TVs because in my opinion and from what I've seen, they tend to make the picture very artificial, bright, pixellated and almost computer-game like. I continue to game on my CRT just to avoid the transition to LCD. Now, since I'm used to DLP technology and haven't faced any rainbow effect or screen door effect or whatever (or I'm not that sensitive to it) and since I'm not fond of LCD, what is the best upgrade choice for me in the $1000 category? Placement flexibility shouldn't be an issue because I can just take down my ceiling-mounted IN72 and replace it with another DLP projector, right?

The most flexible DLP in this price range is the Benq W6000. If you could add another $1000, I would put the Infocus SP8602 at the top of the list. The Vivitek 5080H is a good alternative. Projector people had some demo models just above $1500. The Mits 4000 or Benq 1100 are cheaper alternatives around $1000.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
I'm with contentedbloke. I have the IN72 and really enjoy it. The bulb blew a few weeks back and I'm wondering if I should buy a new bulb or spring for a new projector. I really like the picture as it is so film like. Avatar and other blu ray films are amazing to watch. So will I enjoy 1080p enough to justify the extra cost? Just curious.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page