HDMI Help with new Epson 8700UB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am replacing a Panasonic AX100 with Epson 8700UB... was hoping it would be straight forward but have run across a problem that isn't making a lot of sense to me...

Old projector was hooked up with approx 25' HDMI cable and has worked fine for approx 3 years... It is a direct cable (no switches, etc between connections) and does have an inline signal booster
When I hook new projector up indicates "Not Supported" and lists refresh rate, etc as "____" (no numbers).
I have confirmed equipment is compatible by using short 6' HDMI cable and hooking up the new projector (all worked fine).

Is there anything I can do or confirm to try and get existing cable working?
If I need a new cable, what do I need to make sure I get to ensure the new one will work (Since I'm not sure why old one doesn't work unsure what to get if I buy a new cable)

Any help is appreciated (and thanks in advance)
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I had the same issue with several signal boosters, which did not work with my Epson 8500. Running an HDMI 30 foot cable now with no issues. The culprit was the booster.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
PS. Get a good quality HDMI 1.4 cable for future compatibility. Monoprice has decent cables as does Blue Jeans Cables. Here are some options:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hdmi-cable.htm
post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Liked: 53
If it works with short cables and not with the 25' cable the problem is definitely the cable. Another thing to check, is set your sources to 480i or 480P and see if you get a signal. If you do it is a bandwidth issue and you could try a signal restorer (not booster). I would try it without the booster as that can sometimes be the problem, especially the inexpensive ones. Also, remove any port savers or wall plates if you have them, which it sounds like you don't.

If doesn't work at the lower resolution then replace the cable or use a Cat5 balun (converter). 25' is the max for high speed cables without being a powered cable. If you have to use a balun fibre optic is the best but pricey and not needed for this length. For Cat 5 look at Ethereal, Spectrum Electronic Solutions or Binary for reliable brands.

Look for cables that are rated high speed and not standard speed. Another thing to look for is cables that are DPL approved. Their standards are about 20% stricter than HDMI spec.
http://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-approved-products

BTW, kudos to trying the system with short cables! I give that advice frequently but so many people try changing equipment other measures first. By using short cables you just determined it was a signaling problem and not an equipment problem. Good job!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Liked: 10
For a new cable...not much more than Monoprice or BlueJeans...and they always work. They make a 100ft version that, so far this year, out of 125 cables that I've seen...1 has been defective.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-277025X-...6076830&sr=8-5 (non ethernet is a buck or so less expensive)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page