Optoma HD-66 is showing black and white dots on screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My projector is showing black and white dots on the screen. I don't believe it is dust, and it seems like it is getting worse. They are perfect little squares on the screen. does anyone know how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 10
My two month old refurbished unit started doing this last night! I guess from the age of this post there is no solution.
As I posted in the official hd66 thread, I can live with the black dots. The one white dot, however, is SCREAMING at me from the screen.
I had an Infocus X1 DLP for like 8 years without issue. Yes my Optima is a refurb... but at less than two months, I can't say that I will ever buy from them again. If this is what a dead picsel is like.. How can anyone live with it.
My home theater experience is completely ruined by this one glaring singular point of light!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The problem is failing pixels. There is no fix except to replace the optical engine. Not cheap.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just went through the repair process. It started as one dot and by the end of 2 weeks I had over 30 dots all over. Luckily I was still under warranty with Costco Concierge and they paid Optoma to repair it. The bill was pretty hefty at about $489.
Is there any warranty with the refurb??
I only have 8 more months of the two year warranty and I am hoping it lasts longer than the 15 months I had before.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Search through the AVS forum. The solution is a new DMD chip. $85 shipped from China (2 to 3 wks delivery) or about $120 from someone in USA who already got from them. Hard to get at the chip unless you're good at tearing electronics apart. There is a youtube video on how to do it on another model. Very similar to this unit. I 've just completed it successfully. No dots so far. The newer version chip supposedly fixes the problem which essentially is an overheating/thermal tape problem. I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (the best) instead of the 'tape' that comes with the chip. As I said, so far so good!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Update: Still running fine after 2+ months. If you're organized and pay attention when you dig into it, the project is simply some screws and plugging and unplugging connections. Plus using the thermal paste properly. Fairly easy once you know how it's put together.