post #541 of 621 Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzman76 View Post

Got my GT750 in Saturday. I managed to snag an open box from Best Buy for $650. It's the GT750 not the GT750e so it came with a free pair of RF glasses. The lamp had 20 hours on it, so overall I think it was a decent deal.
Pros:
Gaming and movie wise it's really nice. Black Ops in 3D looks pretty nice. Tron Legacy 3D was amazing looking. I can't say much for the internal speaker, I have it disabled, I'm using a Sony 5.1 system. I had no issues with playing 3D both on the PS3 and on my computer. When not in 3D mode the projector seems to do 1920x1080 @ 60hertz just fine, even though it's not officially a 1080 projector.
Cons:
It's not as short-throw as I was expecting. The front of the projector is almost exactly 7 feet from the screen to get a 103" diagonal screen. At 103" if you're less then 4 feet from the screen you can see thousands of these little squares. They are not visible beyond 4 feet or so and I have no idea why you would be sitting closer then 4 feet on a 103" screen, but they are definitely there. When viewing data (like surfing the web or using Microsoft Word) the screen looks like crap. The letters are kinda blocky and, even though I have the resolution set to 1920x1080, it's too tall for my screen (this may be because I'm a newb and need to adjust the settings in AMD's catalyst control center). I'll update this after I have more time to play around with it.
3D on the PC:
3D on the PC was actually pretty simple. I have AMD 6000 series video cards (crossfired) and running driver version 8.951.0.0. All I had to do was install a third party 3D application recommended by AMD, it's called TriDef. TriDef found my games automatically. World of Warcraft and Skyrim both looked amazing in 3D. I also had the TriDef program play a non-3d movie in 3D and it surprisingly looked pretty good. Disclaimer: My computer is not your average computer. I'm a computer geek. I'm running an overclocked quad core computer with dual SSD's, crossfired video cards, a nice big Zalman aftermarket CPU heatsink, 16GB of DDR3-1600 memory, and bunch of other goodies. 3D performance will probably vary depending on the computer.
Misc:
I don't get my HD cable box until this afternoon. I'll update how it does on TV and sports tomorrow. I have some DLP-link glasses that should be arriving Wednesday. I'll update this with an RF vs DLP-Link after I try them out.
Current Setup:
Optoma GT750
103" BOC screen with 3" black felt border
Phat 80GB PS3 with latest software update
Optoma RF 3D Glasses
Sony 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound
The thousands of little squares you're seeing up close are the pixels. This projector has 1280 across and 800 down, for just over a million of them total (or one megapixel, as they call it with digital cameras.) That 1280x800 is called the resolution of the display. Pretty low for a camera, but average for a projector if you sit a proper distance away.

One tip is the projector will ALWAYS looks it's best at it's native resolution. For video sources, that's not usually possible since they output either 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080p.) Since either is not matching the native res of the projector, it scales them to fit. Most feel 720p gives a better image than 1080p on these types of projectors (since the scaling is much less as 720p is very close to 1280x800. In fact, many projector have a "just pass the signal thru" mode where 720p will just be displayed in a slightly shorter image, only using 720 of the 800 horizontal rows of pixels, to avoid scaling.)

BUT, your big issue with PC text is because of this. Set your PC resolution to 1280x800 x60 Hz (or 120 Hz, which this model also supports) and prepare to see a much better image! Give it a try, it's a free simple change that can get the best out of your projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 621 Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 10
Ah, thanks for the tip! I'll try that out tonight after work and see if that helps. Now if I could figure out why mine has a longer throw then everyone else's I'll be set.
post #543 of 621 Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I have some DLP-link glasses that should be arriving Wednesday. I'll update this with an RF vs DLP-Link after I try them out.

YES PLEASE!
I like any and all reviews of glasses.

But do you like the Optoma RF's so far ?
post #544 of 621 Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM

So the glasses arrived tonight, not even sure how that's possible since I didn't order them till Saturday, but here they are. I got the 3D-Corp DLP Link two pack, link to them on Amazon here.

They are MUCH better then the default RF Optoma ones that came with the projector. They are considerably brighter. They're also bigger which is nice since I'm 6'6" and have a semi-big head.

BTW... I figured out my throw issue.. total newb mistake, the projector wasn't in 16:9. I have no clue what format it was in, but once I hit the 16:9 button I was able to move the projector forward about 2-3 feet. It also fits the screen much better now too.

I got the cable box hooked up. Watched Rio with my son on HBO HD. Very nice image! Very crisp and clear.

I haven't had time to mess with the computer any. I'm still waiting to figure out my setup on that to make moving the computer easier.
post #545 of 621 Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

So the glasses arrived. I got the 3D-Corp DLP Link two pack, link to them on Amazon here.
They are MUCH better then the default RF Optoma ones that came with the projector. They are considerably brighter.

Great Fozzman76,
I like to hear "considerably brighter". We can all use brightness with 3D content.

One question, Do you see a tint with the 3D-Corp and Optoma RF glasses. Some glasses may lean to a gray tint, and some may have a green, yellow or blue tint. Just wondering what you see with these two pairs of glasses.
post #546 of 621 Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

One question, Do you see a tint with the 3D-Corp and Optoma RF glasses. Some glasses may lean to a gray tint, and some may have a green, yellow or blue tint. Just wondering what you see with these two pairs of glasses.

The new DLP link glasses have a yellow-greenish tint to them. The RF optoma glasses have either the normal tint sunglasses have or it might be blue... looks kinda blue when looking at the insides.
post #547 of 621 Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 AM

Thank You for the help, Fozzman76
post #548 of 621 Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Little update... I did some side by side (actually one on top of the other) comparing of the Optoma RF glasses vs the 3D-Corp DLP-Link glasses. The DLP-Link are about 50 times better. Now it could be that the free ones Optoma give out with the projector are just junk RF glasses. I don't really have any other RF glasses to compare them too, but the 3D Corp glasses are much clearer, brighter, and show the correct colors.

I think I'm gonna order another two pairs for when we have people over.
post #549 of 621 Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Little update... I did some side by side (actually one on top of the other) comparing of the Optoma RF glasses vs the 3D-Corp DLP-Link glasses. The DLP-Link are about 50 times better. Now it could be that the free ones Optoma give out with the projector are just junk RF glasses. I don't really have any other RF glasses to compare them too, but the 3D Corp glasses are much clearer, brighter, and show the correct colors.
I think I'm gonna order another two pairs for when we have people over.
That's interesting. I have both kinds as well, but find it completly the opposite. I cant stand the DLP Link glasses and love the RF. have you tried using the tuning functions on the RF receiver (or the PC software) to fine tune them?
post #550 of 621 Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

That's interesting. I have both kinds as well, but find it completly the opposite. I cant stand the DLP Link glasses and love the RF. have you tried using the tuning functions on the RF receiver (or the PC software) to fine tune them?

I am wondering also about the big difference in image.
Hey Fozzman76, thanks so much for taking the time to post about the DLP/RF glasses. I think the Optoma RF's are re-branded Monster-RF/Bit coldren-somthing or other glasses.They are not some cheap knock-Offs so I think you have good quality glasses.
From reading peoples thoughts on the two different types of glasses, most do like one over the other, but you are the first to see such a big difference in image quality, atleast from what I remember reading.
If you can find the time, like mikemav said, try to fiddle with tunning the RF's. Being able to tune, was one of the RF's big selling points, so it would be worth looking into it.

Also, I think I remember reading that the RF's, give the best image when they are looked straight through and not as good at an angle, like when leaning back in a chair.
So when you were A/B testing the glasses, if the RF's were not getting pulled down all the way, it could of had an impact on the image you were seeing.

PS..It sounds like I'm selling these RF's glasses. But the truth is, after all my reading, I have not ordered any glasses and still don't know which I would buy smile.gif
post #551 of 621 Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Honestly I didn't even know there was tuning software. The FR adapter is a tiny thing, just a cable running to a small box with 4 or 5 lights on it. I haven't seen a tuning section on the projector menu itself, but I haven't really been looking either. I'll screw around with it tonight and see what I can figure out.

In a completely unrelated note, I just found out my local cable TV provider will be patching in the 3D NBC channel for the Olympics so I'm all types of excited now.
post #552 of 621 Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly I didn't even know there was tuning software. The FR adapter is a tiny thing, just a cable running to a small box with 4 or 5 lights on it. I haven't seen a tuning section on the projector menu itself, but I haven't really been looking either. I'll screw around with it tonight and see what I can figure out.
In a completely unrelated note, I just found out my local cable TV provider will be patching in the 3D NBC channel for the Olympics so I'm all types of excited now.
lot's of info here, check it out (these are the same glasses):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread
Here is a link the user manual:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/780#post_22242085
post #553 of 621 Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Update: Once again it was a newb mistake.. I thought I could run the RF and DLP-Link glasses at the same time. In my defense the RF glasses do work in DLP-Link mode, they just don't look as pretty. Once I switched over to RF mode they looked MUCH better. Now I almost regret buying the DLP link ones. My only complaint about the DLP link glasses is occasionally I can see black flashes in the lens, almost like it's not flashing fast enough. I didn't experience this on the RF glasses. The 3D looks "deeper" in RF mode too.

Side note: I could never get the RF adapter into "Fine Tuning mode". I held down the joystick for a long while but the first two lights never did light up. After 10 seconds they would all go off, but that's it.

Will Monster's glasses work with the Optoma RF broadcaster then? Just curious because the Moster glasses are cheaper then the Optoma RF glasses.
post #554 of 621 Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Update: Once again it was a newb mistake.. I thought I could run the RF and DLP-Link glasses at the same time. In my defense the RF glasses do work in DLP-Link mode, they just don't look as pretty. Once I switched over to RF mode they looked MUCH better.

I have read about people running DLP's & RF's together in the DLP mode, and they never said anything about the RF's looking better or even different than when they are run in their native RF Mode.
Thanks for posting that Fozzman76, I always thought the RF Mode must have some kind of advantage when used with the RF Glasses and the DLP mode for the DLP Glasses also. Just thought one or the other pair of glasses must be suffering in the image department when they are run in a non-native mode.

Double check me, but I do think the Monster,Optoma,Bit cauldron/3d-VIP RF's are all the same and should work together.
Even on their webpage at the bottom of the page, they link to all three companies and say they are all using their "BC5000 software and technology".

http://www.bitcauldron.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=56
post #555 of 621 Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Looking for neutral opinion
1) Should I go for this or should I go for a good 1080p projector? I am not a big 3D fan, but don't want to be left out?
2) I know this is short throw, but my home has projector mount installed 14 feet away. Can I install this 14 feet away and use zoom to project image about 100 feet without compromising image quality?
post #556 of 621 Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Update: Once again it was a newb mistake.. I thought I could run the RF and DLP-Link glasses at the same time. In my defense the RF glasses do work in DLP-Link mode, they just don't look as pretty. Once I switched over to RF mode they looked MUCH better. Now I almost regret buying the DLP link ones. My only complaint about the DLP link glasses is occasionally I can see black flashes in the lens, almost like it's not flashing fast enough. I didn't experience this on the RF glasses. The 3D looks "deeper" in RF mode too.
Side note: I could never get the RF adapter into "Fine Tuning mode". I held down the joystick for a long while but the first two lights never did light up. After 10 seconds they would all go off, but that's it.
Will Monster's glasses work with the Optoma RF broadcaster then? Just curious because the Moster glasses are cheaper then the Optoma RF glasses.

forget the fine tuning mode, I tried it, like you saw, good luck getting it into the mode and getting it to do what you want it to do, I did get it to work once or twice, but it was more luck than anything else and you'll screw up 5 settings trying to change one.

I'm sure the monster glasses would work with the optoma rf broadcaster as they are rebranded but from looking around they are a few bucks cheaper, if you know a cheap place for them, please let me know.

I think the rf glasses work pretty well, never had a problem with them, they are relatively light, they sync with no problems although I do notice that if you get off center a little bit, you can get double images, mostly noticable on text.

I was thinking of trying the dlp link glasses as they are real cheap now but if I'm not going to get the pop out, then whats the point?
post #557 of 621 Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

1) Should I go for this or should I go for a good 1080p projector? I am not a big 3D fan, but don't want to be left out?
2) I know this is short throw, but my home has projector mount installed 14 feet away. Can I install this 14 feet away and use zoom to project image about 100 feet without compromising image quality?

I think you would have trouble with this. I'm 7 feet away or so at 135 inches, I don't think you would have enough negative zoom to make the picture small enough. I assume you mean 100 inches and not feet otherwise I"m really jealous of you.

The biggest problem with this projector IMHO is that they didn't think to smart when making the throw range. It basically ends up right at my feet which is quite a pain.
post #558 of 621 Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

I think you would have trouble with this. I'm 7 feet away or so at 135 inches, I don't think you would have enough negative zoom to make the picture small enough. I assume you mean 100 inches and not feet otherwise I"m really jealous of you.
The biggest problem with this projector IMHO is that they didn't think to smart when making the throw range. It basically ends up right at my feet which is quite a pain.

Thanks smile.gif Yes 100 inches. Short throw is stopping me from buying this. If I figure out a solution then I will buy.
post #559 of 621 Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 AM

First off I am Fozzman, logging in via FB is just easier.

I've had my GT750 for a little over a month now and figured I'd do an update.

Current Setup:
Optoma GT750
103" BOC screen with 3" black felt border
Phat 80GB PS3 with latest software update
Optoma RF 3D Glasses
Sony 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound
Hand Built Gaming PC with AMD 7770 using TriDef for 3D PC gaming

Cable:
So far I'm still extremely happy with my purchase. The projector got a lot of extended use during the Olympics. My wife's friends even started coming over to our house to watch them. Most of the Olympics we watched in 2D. The 3D events were all 24-hour delayed and most weren't that cool in 3D. The opening ceremony however was BETTER in 3D, no annoying announcers, they showed the entire thing, and there were a lot of different camera angles. The flames all coming together as one was pretty cool in 3D.

Gaming: This is were this projector really shines. Black OPs and Skyrim in 3D are amazing. When I see them in 2D now they look soo... flat. Some games just don't work well in 3D though. In World of Warcraft, for instance, there's just too much going on (if your in a group or raid) and the 3D makes it kind of confusing. So I guess it depends on which games you play the most.

Movies
This thing is bad ass when it comes to 3D Blu Rays. My friends and I saw Tron Legacy the night it was released in iMax 3D at our local theater. They came over the other night to do some gaming and I had it playing for them to check out the 3D. They all really liked it and one of them said it was BETTER then it appeared in the movie theater.

Movies tried so far and my 3D rating:
Tron Legacy = A
Shrek 4 = B
Puss n Boots = C
Rio = A

If you have any questions just let me know.
post #560 of 621 Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

There is NO zoom on this projector so no It will not be useable in that setup, well there is a digital zoom, but I wouldn't use it as it isn't a true zoom (ie moves the lens). The image will be way too big and the offset would also give you issues. According to the projector calculator the image will be 275 inches at that distance. The vertical will be 146 inches with an offset of 18 inches. If you have to use the mount that is already installed you will want to look for a projector with a decent zoom (your projector will not be movable from this location so you'll need to have some zoom and probably vertical shift to get the image where you need it to be.

A 100in screen from 10 feet away should be okay for 720p. Of course 1080p is better and not just resolution wise, 1080p projectors are higher end models than the 720p so companies put more of their tech into it (better color wheels, dynamic iris etc).

The monster glasses do work with the included rf emitter, my friend has them and I have this projector, they synched up with no issues. Plus if you buy the monster glasses you get the emitter as well so if you have a 3D tv you can use the same glasses on that or the projector (but then again, why would you want to watch 3D on the tv when you have a projector?).

Fozzman, about the throw issue you had before. You should use native setting as much as possible so that the projector outputs the same resolution as the input signal. If using with a computer, I set my pc to 1280 X 800 (for 1:1 pixel mapping) and I set the projector for native. For 3D from the PC, I set the pc res to 1280 X 720 (otherwise the 3D options don't appear) the projector stays in native. I only use the other settings if I have something that is 4:3 420p, if you use native with that resolution the picture ends up being small since it's only 420p.

post #561 of 621 Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 135 inch screen and this projector looks amazing even with 1.5gb 720P rips. Unless its side by side, I think most people wouldn't even notice the difference.
post #562 of 621 Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM

The throw issue I was having was because I accidentally mashed a button on the remote and it was in some weird aspect. When I switched it back to 16:9 everything fixed itself. My projector currently is just a wee bit over 5 feet from the screen and projecting 103". Perfect for a coffee table, which is where it resides. Now if I could only find a way to make it less fascinating to a 9 month old...
post #563 of 621 Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 PM

I've recently purchased the GT750 from Amazon but didn't get a RF transmitter / 3D glasses in the box (Must be because im in the UK or something). Waiting for some DLP glasses to be delivered but but I have a few questions in preparation for when the glasses arrive:

My intentions were to:

Use the XBOX360 for 3d gaming
Use the PC for watching 3D movies I download in SBS format
Use XBMC on the Jailbroken Apple TV to stream 2D movies off the NAS drive (Synology 110j)

All will be connected directly to the 750, no receivers involved (yet! wink.gif )

From what I read I thought I needed a 1.4 hdmi cable for 3d so I purchased this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-GOLD-1-4a-HDMI-COMPATIBLE/dp/B002U38E9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349504081&sr=8-1 but when I connect it to the 360 I get no output. I contacted the seller and they agreed to send me another one but I get no output from that either! So its safe to say, its not the cable.

I also get the same problem using the new 1.4 cable when connecting it to my ATI HD6850 card - no output. I have a monitor connected on DVI and the new HDMI cable is plugged in as a 2nd device. If I switch the new HDMI cable for an older one I can extend my desktop to the projector (or duplicate) but with the new cable I get nothing. So the question for this is do I need to change any settings in CCC to get it to be able to transmit on the new 1.4 cable? Same question for the XBOX, does it need to be told its using a 1.4 cable? Am i missing something here?

@Fozzman - You're connecting your GT750 to your AMD 7770. What type of HDMI cable to you use to connect to you PC? 1.4a? Did you have to change anything in CCC?

To play 3D movies from the PC is it a simple case of using relevant software (Powerdvd etc) and pushing the SBS video file to the projector and then changing the 750 into 3d mode?
To play 3D Games is it as simple as running middleware (Tridef etc) and then outputting the Video to the 750?
Any ideas why 2 new HDMI cables aren't working? Do I actually need to use a high speed cable for all this to work? From what I've read the answer is yes but I'm stumped as to why 2 new 1.4 cables produce no output on both the 360 and my PC with a 6850 ATI card in it.

These forums are full of people raving about the 3d capabilities of this PJ and I want to join the club. mad.gif

Anyone got any idea's?
post #564 of 621 Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 PM

I got this projector off buydig.com for a great deal (after browsing these forums for months). ABSOLUTELY LOVE this projector. I'm no videophile or anything and the picture looks absolutely amazing to me. I have been watching a ton of blue ray movies on it, and the picture is crisp and clear. I have it sitting on my coffee table about 5 feet in front of the couch, got about a 120" screen that I made myself (using black out cloth and some wood). Got a 3d receiver set up to it connecting my tv, apple tv, and gaming devices to it. Love watching Sunday football on the massive screen all day long. Watched Prometheous a couple of nights ago and it honestly felt like I was in the theaters (but with comfy seating arrangements) (also that movie wasn't the greatest, but that's a whole other conversation)

Waiting on my dlp 3d glasses that I ordered from amazon, got a couple of 3d movies that are waiting to test on it. Worst case I don't like it and I continue watching 2D as I have been.

Thanks avsforums for having such a great site. I read through almost all the threads on most of the projectors in the sub 3 grand departement (I'm a poor student, so I wanted something on a budget)

Edit: Also would like to add that if anyone has questions, I would love to help, since these forums honestly helped me TONS!, either reply on here, or even private message me, and I can do what I can
post #565 of 621 Old 10-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

for playing 3d SBS assuming HSBS and O/U, you can use any player and you just use the remote to select either over/under or hsbs. no 3d stuff needed, no special cables needed. I did do it one time with TMT5 using the auto 3d mode on the projector and it was such a pain in the rear that I didn't bother with that nonsense again and frankly I don't think we would be able to tell the difference since the projector is 720p anyway. In 3d with a good hsbs rip, I couldn't imagine it being any clearer and even with lower quality ones still doesn't look that bad.

I couldn't tell you why the cable isn't working though, i'm using gt430 video card and it was pretty simple to hookup although hours to get movies to play correctly with 24fps.

aren't you guys doing a lot of correction having the projector on a coffee table? probably need keystone and such. I have mine on a little step stool about 9 inches high. Not really elegant but I don't need keystone and don't need much adjustment at all. Be nice if I could put it on the table though as I'm really tired of being uncomfortable watching my movies. Really biggest issue is the throw on this thing, if it was a little shorter, it would fit far enough forward that it wouldn't interfere with seating. as it is now, its right basically where you want to sit. ceiling mounting would be best bet but with the way this thing shoots, you'd need keystone to correct it.

I do like the fact that its close throw though as a long throw projector would never get the brightness that I need.
post #566 of 621 Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Update: Once again it was a newb mistake.. I thought I could run the RF and DLP-Link glasses at the same time. In my defense the RF glasses do work in DLP-Link mode, they just don't look as pretty. Once I switched over to RF mode they looked MUCH better. quote]

DLP link uses a flash of a solid color between frames to signal the glasses to swap left/right. If using both RF and DLP link the viewer watching through RF glasses will not have the solid color flash blocked and will see washed out image.
I prefer DLP link over RF/IR and have never experienced the black flicker you speak of I am assuming the LCD tech they used in glasses do not keep up but not sure. I have Acer glasses and TrueDepth for DLP link glasses.
post #567 of 621 Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM

i wanted to get 750 but it was not aviable here so went for benq w710st

check out
BENQ W710ST UNBOXING

BenQ W710ST in action
post #568 of 621 Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM
duh

I have the Optoma GT750 projector. I want to get something that will convert live 2D TV to 3D (mainly for football) and use my RF 3D Glasses.

Does anyone know if something like the Monoprice 3D Converter (or any other converter) will work with this projector?

Thanks!
post #569 of 621 Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM

So is all you need a PS3 and 1.4 HDMI, and then you can watch or game in 3D with this PJ?
post #570 of 621 Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else have just flashing green light no matter what and never Amber standby light?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page