GT750 Thread, HDMI 1.4 Capable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 621 Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I will kick it off then. Looks very good and having had the GT720 for a short while, a very versatile PJ. Kudos to the Op: GegK

"I'm sure a dedicated thread will pop up for this here very soon, but Optoma just announced an HDMI 1.4 720p DLP PJ for the States ..@ $799 SRP!"

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Op...-Support.shtml

It appears the Optoma will have a VESA 3D port, so I'm guessing DLP-Link should be able to defeated, if one opted instead to use IR 3D glasses.
http://www.optomausa.com/Product_det...product_id=572[/

Too bad Acer has brought no product to market though there may be a good reason for that. I for one tire of the wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 621 Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 PM

Liked: 10
This looks very interesting to me. I would buy one but it's not coming til august. I'm in the market for a projector soon and this probably won't be available yet. Just for hmdi 1.4 capable I would buy this and pair it with a nice bluray player such as the oppo bpd 93.
post #3 of 621 Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post

This looks very interesting to me. I would buy one but it's not coming til august. I'm in the market for a projector soon and this probably won't be available yet. Just for hmdi 1.4 capable I would buy this and pair it with a nice bluray player such as the oppo bpd 93.

Nobody else sees this for what it is? Optoma did not need to make this model as the 3d-xl will support all previous models. Acer's 5360BD is nowhere to be found at present. Sharp 1700 is expensive but 1080p. I predict more 3d units this year than many would like to acknowledge at present. I think even 1080p will see more units. After all, what else is new in PJ tech?
post #4 of 621 Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 AM

I think it could be a very interesting projector and I will wait and see what it is when it comes out. It is cheaper then a 3d ready and the 3d-xl and its one unit.

I might go for one when they out for gaming.
post #5 of 621 Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistro View Post

I think it could be a very interesting projector and I will wait and see what it is when it comes out. It is cheaper then a 3d ready and the 3d-xl and its one unit.

I might go for one when they out for gaming.

Well, there is not much to wait for and see when it comes out except reviews. This unit obviates the need for a 3d-xl. It ought to simply work if the 3d-xl experience is any indicator. Have not read a bad review of the GT720 so far and this is pretty much the same unit with 3d built in. What you may want to decide is if the short throw is for you and if 720p is going to cut it. I had a GT720 for a short while and it did very well and was kinda cool throwing that big picture in front of everyone in the room. Short throw was very cool and I can see this unit outside in the back yard occasionally. I somehow expect a 1080p unit from Optoma soon but have no info to go on right now.
post #6 of 621 Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM

CEDIA is soooo frickin far away!
post #7 of 621 Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post

CEDIA is soooo frickin far away!

Time is on your side buddy. While I am Jonesing for a unit, I have decided to wait, at least for a bit lol.
post #8 of 621 Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Well, there is not much to wait for and see when it comes out except reviews. This unit obviates the need for a 3d-xl. It ought to simply work if the 3d-xl experience is any indicator. Have not read a bad review of the GT720 so far and this is pretty much the same unit with 3d built in. What you may want to decide is if the short throw is for you and if 720p is going to cut it. I had a GT720 for a short while and it did very well and was kinda cool throwing that big picture in front of everyone in the room. Short throw was very cool and I can see this unit outside in the back yard occasionally. I somehow expect a 1080p unit from Optoma soon but have no info to go on right now.

I have a optoma HD200X and I also use normal dvd's movies on it and even that aint 1080p it still looks good when its a good dvd ( latest star trek dvd for example looks fantastic ). Does it really make so much difference with a 720p projector?
It will be on a 72'' screen with a view distance of 2.30 metres, short throw might be just whats needed ( ceiling )
post #9 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
This looks very interesting to me. I would buy one but it's not coming til august.

August, ah ... might as well wait for Cedia 2011 then. (Sept. 7th I think)
post #10 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post
August, ah ... might as well wait for Cedia 2011 then. (Sept. 7th I think)
But then you are going to have to wait until May or June of 2012 for the products announced at Cedia to be released.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #11 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Liked: 11
This has a higher lumen output than the Acer as well if I'm not mistaken, 3000 compared to 2500.
post #12 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

This has a higher lumen output than the Acer as well if I'm not mistaken, 3000 compared to 2500.

I noticed that increased lumen spec too. I believe Optoma has looked hard at 3d and in light of the 3d-xl release they have figured this out. Hey, a PJ with a 3d-xl built in or in other words a unit that just works. No spoofs or other crap. I look forward to it.
post #13 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I would replace my 5360 with this projector, primarily because of the 3D Vesa port. This is a great addition allowing IR senders or the new RF based glasses like the Monstervision 3D.

I hope the lens is a bit better than the Acer. I find the Acer lens drifts from cold boot to running temp. I have to refocus it several times.
post #14 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I hope the lens is a bit better than the Acer. I find the Acer lens drifts from cold boot to running temp. I have to refocus it several times.

Hmmm I have not heard of this problem. Interesting. Why would warm up affect the focus? The GT720 I had did not exhibit any of this.
post #15 of 621 Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I would replace my 5360 with this projector, primarily because of the 3D Vesa port. This is a great addition allowing IR senders or the new RF based glasses like the Monstervision 3D.

my 5360 has perfect focus, never have to recalibrate after each boot up.....sounds like a fault in your particular unit
post #16 of 621 Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm I have not heard of this problem. Interesting. Why would warm up affect the focus? The GT720 I had did not exhibit any of this.

not sure, but I have to focus it 2-3 times from cold boot to 15-20 minutes later every single time. I do have it tilted slightly but it shouldn't affect the focus this much.

it's a cheap projector, i don't expect perfection so it doesn't really bug me too much.
post #17 of 621 Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It would be nice if it has a better remote. The current GT720 remote is cumbersome to say the least.

BTW, my GT720 has developed dead pixels and I have yet to get a response from any reputable projector repair place for an estimate, and I'm not risking packaging it up and sending it to them before I get a response. I'd give this PJ to my sister, dead pixels and all, before I send this out for repair without a response from them. (She wanted a PJ and didn't really care on the condition).

By the way, the Jscript to fix stuck pixels didn't work, either. Serves me right buying a "refurb" unit from Ebay.
post #18 of 621 Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

yes, this is why I would get it as well, the port will have a lot of usefulness in terms of what glasses can be used.

i'm a little bit unsure how it works when being powered by the computer. can I run 3d movies through powerdvd or windvd wth no problem to this projector? does the projector magically switch to 3d or do i have to change the setting to 3d manually?

I'm guessing the 799 price comes out a little cheaper when it finally goes on sale so really it comes down to being really cheap and buying a 5360 and nvidia kit or buying this and being able to use any emitter and glasses. 3dtv corp has lots of cheap and not so cheap glasses to pick from, plus they have an emitter that is universal.
post #19 of 621 Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Hmm... Interesting. I have a couple of questions:

1. So with the 3D Vesa port, would I be able to get a 3rd party emitter that could work with my Samsung 3D glasses? I have 6 pairs of Samsung 3D glasses that I use with my Samsung 3D plasma. I'd love to be able to use those 6 pairs with the projector.

2. Short Throw? Damn. Nobody makes long throw projectors anymore. I don't like the short throw ones very much, from a standpoint of the projector then is just too close to my first row of seating, which means I will notice it out of the corner of my eye, and will probably hear it's fans during any quiet scenes. I'd rather have a long throw projector, but it just seems nobody makes those anymore.

If I'm going to have an 126" 16:9 screen, how far back would I mount this projector? Are there any numbers on the offset yet? My ceilings are only 8 feet 2 inches (maybe closer to 8 feet 1 1/2 inches), and right now the very bottom of my screen is only 23.5 inches off the ground. I definitely don't want to go any lower than 23.5 inches off the ground, if I can help it.
post #20 of 621 Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
if you did what I said in the acer thread where you asked this, you wouldln't be asking it here again. did you email the person at the website I listed for you? he will be the only one that can answer that considering he makes the emitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Hmm... Interesting. I have a couple of questions:

1. So with the 3D Vesa port, would I be able to get a 3rd party emitter that could work with my Samsung 3D glasses? I have 6 pairs of Samsung 3D glasses that I use with my Samsung 3D plasma. I'd love to be able to use those 6 pairs with the projector.

post #21 of 621 Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

yes, this is why I would get it as well, the port will have a lot of usefulness in terms of what glasses can be used.

i'm a little bit unsure how it works when being powered by the computer. can I run 3d movies through powerdvd or windvd wth no problem to this projector? does the projector magically switch to 3d or do i have to change the setting to 3d manually?

I don't see why it would be an issue, I used PowerDVD10 and TMT5 with my Nvidia IR kit and the Acer 5360 and also use my JVC RS50 with the Monster Vision 3D RF kit (directly plugged into the JVC) and it works fine. As soon as the projector senses a 3D frame packed signal, it immediately syncs to 3D mode.
post #22 of 621 Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK friend, the original post has a link to the Optoma site. On that site is a distance calculator link that says if you have a 126" diagonal screen that your throw distance is 6' 5" and an offset of 8.3" from lens to bottom of screen if floor/table mounted. Just flip that for a ceiling mount.

As to your other question, I had a GT720 for a short while and it was dead quiet. I never really worried about the fan though if I wanted to look down and to the front of course I could see the unit sitting there same as if you look up for a ceiling unit. Using your numbers the calculator recommends seating from 12' - 20'. With my GT720 I sat about 12 feet back with the PJ on a coffee table in front of me and had zero problems with it being there.

On a positive note the zoom does not affect the focus in any way. Just keep that in mind if you are thinking about ceiling mounting one because there is no lens zoom. Zoom is accomplished by placement.

Short throw may not be for everyone but I had zero issues with it and actually packed it away in minutes when done with it. Setup also took mere minutes. All I needed was a suitable length HDMI cord and all else was gravy.
Quote:

Short Throw? Damn. Nobody makes long throw projectors anymore. I don't like the short throw ones very much, from a standpoint of the projector then is just too close to my first row of seating, which means I will notice it out of the corner of my eye, and will probably hear it's fans during any quiet scenes. I'd rather have a long throw projector, but it just seems nobody makes those anymore.

If I'm going to have an 126" 16:9 screen, how far back would I mount this projector? Are there any numbers on the offset yet? My ceilings are only 8 feet 2 inches (maybe closer to 8 feet 1 1/2 inches), and right now the very bottom of my screen is only 23.5 inches off the ground. I definitely don't want to go any lower than 23.5 inches off the ground, if I can help it.

post #23 of 621 Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you have a 126" diagonal screen that your throw distance is 6' 5" and an offset of 8' 3" from lens to bottom of screen if floor/table mounted. Just flip that for a ceiling mount.

You're saying that I would mount this projector about 6 1/2 feet from my screen? For a 126" diagonal 16:9 image? WOW. That is the shortest throw that I've ever heard of. I've been out of the loop, and haven't been keeping up with projectors at all for a number of years now, but I didn't know that such a short throw was possible. One good thing about such a ridiculously short throw is the fact that it would avoid the beam of my other projector. So I could easily just use two projectors. The GT750 for 3D, and my other projector for everything else.

Quote:

. Just keep that in mind if you are thinking about ceiling mounting one because there is no lens zoom.

No zoom... Wuh? Are you serious? No zoom whatsoever? I've never heard of that. I guess it wouldn't really matter to me anyways, because with no lens shift, I can't do 2:35:1 3D movies in cinemawide mode. Not a deal breaker, but kinda lame.
post #24 of 621 Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No zoom... Wuh? Are you serious? No zoom whatsoever? I've never heard of that. I guess it wouldn't really matter to me anyways, because with no lens shift, I can't do 2:35:1 3D movies in cinemawide mode. Not a deal breaker, but kinda lame.

I only said there was no lens zoom. Zoom can be accomplished by moving the PJ especially if table mounted in front of you. Keep in mind at that short of a throw very little movement of the unit is needed to accomplish the zoom. Also bear in mind the price range and specs of this projector. The others in its' class with zoom are very limited as well and quite frankly the advantage of this unit is being able to pack and go with a very good, very big picture and not worrying about somebody walking in front of it.
post #25 of 621 Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

OK friend, the original post has a link to the Optoma site. On that site is a distance calculator link that says if you have a 126" diagonal screen that your throw distance is 6' 5" and an offset of 8' 3" from lens to bottom of screen if floor/table mounted. Just flip that for a ceiling mount.

As to your other question, I had a GT720 for a short while and it was dead quiet. I never really worried about the fan though if I wanted to look down and to the front of course I could see the unit sitting there same as if you look up for a ceiling unit. Using your numbers the calculator recommends seating from 12' - 20'. With my GT720 I sat about 12 feet back with the PJ on a coffee table in front of me and had zero problems with it being there.

On a positive note the zoom does not affect the focus in any way. Just keep that in mind if you are thinking about ceiling mounting one because there is no lens zoom. Zoom is accomplished by placement.

Short throw may not be for everyone but I had zero issues with it and actually packed it away in minutes when done with it. Setup also took mere minutes. All I needed was a suitable length HDMI cord and all else was gravy.

Quote:

You're saying that I would mount this projector about 6 1/2 feet from my screen? For a 126" diagonal 16:9 image? WOW. That is the shortest throw that I've ever heard of. I've been out of the loop, and haven't been keeping up with projectors at all for a number of years now, but I didn't know that such a short throw was possible. One good thing about such a ridiculously short throw is the fact that it would avoid the beam of my other projector. So I could easily just use two projectors. The GT750 for 3D, and my other projector for everything else.

The posted requirement (8' 3") above for the offset, if it were true, is crazy. That would require, for a 126" screen that is mounted with its top all the way up against the ceiling and the projector sitting on the floor, that the ceiling be more than 13 ft. high. With this offset and if you want to ceiling mount the projector and have the screen at a reasonable position (e.g., the bottom of the screen 2 ft. above the floor) then you would need a room with at 16 ft. high ceiling. When I use the calculator on the Optoma web site for the GT750 it actually shows the offset as 11.9" (just under one foot) for the distance above the top of the screen for the projector ceiling mounted or below the bottom of the screen for the projector table mounted, when using a 126" 16x9 screen (so we are back to a reasonable ceiling height after all).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #26 of 621 Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The posted requirement (8' 3") above for the offset, if it were true, is crazy.

Yeah, thanks for that catch. Clearly a typo that could be found if one went to the link and plugged in a 126" diagonal screen size. I corrected the original post with the proper 8.3" information. Thanks again and sorry if this screwed anybody up..
post #27 of 621 Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, thanks for that catch. Clearly a typo that could be found if one went to the link and plugged in a 126" diagonal screen size. I corrected the original post with the proper 8.3" information. Thanks again and sorry if this screwed anybody up..

Yeah, I kinda assumed you meant 8.3 inches.

Quote:

I only said there was no lens zoom. Zoom can be accomplished by moving the PJ especially if table mounted in front of you. Keep in mind at that short of a throw very little movement of the unit is needed to accomplish the zoom.

Hmm, yeah, still, this does seem a bit strange to me. So, I guess you basically just move the projector farther back to zoom it out right? So, I wonder if it would be possible to put a projector mount on some kinda of track, where you could slide it back and forth between two positions. One for 16:9 material, and one to zoom out the black bars for 2.35:1 material. Normally, when you use a zoom lens to zoom out an image, as you zoom out the image, the image drops down, and you would need lens shift to raise the image back up. However, if you're not using an actual zoom lens, and you're simply moving the projector farther back to hide the black bars, does the image still need to be raised up?
post #28 of 621 Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
anyone when in august this thing is coming out? really want it before madden comes out
post #29 of 621 Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

anyone when in august this thing is coming out? really want it before madden comes out

No. But it appears that my Optoma 1080 3d PJ prediction is about to come true. Not one but 3 units. Maybe it is better to wait some more.
post #30 of 621 Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Is Madden in 3D this year?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page