OPTOMA ML500 LED 1280x800 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 685 Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered the ML500 yesterday and it should be in today! I'm coming from an older Optoma HD77 (720P, 900 Lumens, 5x speed, 8 segment wheel, etc) so I can't wait for the first impressions with this one!

I honestly didn't use the HD77 very much b/c I was too cautious about the bulb...I've been out of the game for a while but couldn't resist this purchase given the specs and price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 685 Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11
Ok, to set the record straight I did a lot of legit testing on this thing using a Extech Mini Thermo Anemometer and a Fluke Thermal Imager. I ran the pj for 5 minutes before I took the readings. Below are the results when running on Eco mode. The reason I was missing the exhaust by the lens is that the flow is not constant and is low compared to the others (my apologies). That being said, there are only 3 exhaust areas and 2 intakes - anything else is subsequent. Airflow is feet per minute (I couldn't get it to switch to cfm) The front port is indeed the hottest as ZOL.com has said, but again most likely because it is near the light source and the airflow is relatively lower. Whether or not this could be the reason a few of us are having focus issues is the question.

THERMAL PHOTOS

TOP VIEW

BACK VIEW

SIDE EXHAUST

BACK EXHAUST

FRONT EXHAUST
post #393 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRoW View Post

Hey guys

I've been prowling these forums since february checking almost everyday for some more comments on the qumi and I'm glad I've waited. Now have my eyes set on this Optoma or the Acer, if only for the audio out and usb wifi options.

All your comments have been so helpful I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their opinions. My only projector I have ever had is a 10 lumen Microvision Showwx which I still use as a TV everyday.

Ml500 does not have audio out. It's garbage focus issue last for 20 min. I wish I got the acer, it 500 lumens right?
post #394 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jartanyon View Post

Ok, to set the record straight I did a lot of legit testing on this thing using a Extech Mini Thermo Anemometer and a Fluke Thermal Imager. I ran the pj for 5 minutes before I took the readings. Below are the results when running on Eco mode. The reason I was missing the exhaust by the lens is that the flow is not constant and is low compared to the others (my apologies). That being said, there are only 3 exhaust areas and 2 intakes - anything else is subsequent. Airflow is feet per minute (I couldn't get it to switch to cfm) The front port is indeed the hottest as ZOL.com has said, but again most likely because it is near the light source and the airflow is relatively lower. Whether or not this could be the reason a few of us are having focus issues is the question.

Your funny using Eco mode. You only get another 2500 hours from the total 20000 by running Eco mode. So why would you run that mode,

The power draw that i measured and posted was almost double. We can deduce that power and temperature are directly proportional, thus the temps you measured at a cool ambient temp of 73c (that's pretty cool and if celing mounted, not accurate as hot air rises) should be close to double your measurements.

Again, why are you using Eco mode. It looks better without it.
post #395 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Your funny using Eco mode. You only get another 2500 hours from the total 20000 by running Eco mode. So why would you run that mode,

The power draw that i measured and posted was almost double. We can deduce that power and temperature are directly proportional, thus the temps you measured at a cool ambient temp of 73c (that's pretty cool and if celing mounted, not accurate as hot air rises) should be close to double your measurements.

Again, why are you using Eco mode. It looks better without it.

Perhaps you should go back and read this thread in it's entirety.
post #396 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

Greetings All

Some final thoughts but I'll again say my projector history infocus X1 SVGA, IN24 Xga, LG HS201 SVGA, and QUMI WXGA.

My equipment is LG BD550 DVD/Blu Ray player, Onkyo 3500 Home theater in a box, 4 HDMI inputs 1 output, home built theater computer, ATI video card (1/2gig memory) via HDMI. A USB HDTV tuner for OTA channels and all this is going to a Da-Lite HP 2.8 gain screen @ 106 inches and a very well light controlled room. I'm 53, need reading glasses, my ears ring and all pictures were taken with a Cannon Power Shot A1000 IS in default

So now that is out of the way (so things can be put in prospective) I'm a very heavy user (all content comes via a projector) I already have 46 hours of use @ the typing of this. As stated before I have insomina so it's not uncommon for the projector to go off @ midnight and be back on @ 4 Am, I work 4 days a week and this projector arrived 9/22.

Now that's what I call a disclaimer

Fan noise: LG Hs 201 was a little quieter (in normal mode), the Qumi was the same as the 201, this blows away the 2 infocus projectors in (they were loud), projector is on a table 3/4 arms length away and I am not bothered.

Brightness (in Eco mode): Better than the 201, Qumi, and the X1(note: the X1 was used on a DIY screen), between my well controlled room lighting and the HP screen this is more than bright enough.

Focus: everything was in focus @ start up and after 12 hours (5 points, 4 corners and center).

Color control: I set the projector to my Blu Ray player and the Computer to the projector, colors are the same WOW I got with the 201 (it's hard to beat that initial WOW of you first LED projector).

HD image: This is my first true HD projector so there was some serious WOW here, I played my Blu Ray Avatar and was really impressed with the image/color (this was where I expected to be impressed and I was)

Internet: I use Fire Fox as my browser (trick, hold the CTRL key and using the scroll wheel on the mouse this sets and retains the zoom for every page you go to), after I set the zoom for the pages I visit the most, I don't see any text issues, the address bar is in single pixel resolution and a good place to set your focus.

Netflix: I have DSL @ 3 meg rate so it looks the same via the Blu Ray player or via the computer (480P).

Hulu/Fancast: I see more of the compression using this projector and it may have looked a hair better on the 201 (the 201 was not 106 diag, and the larger size may be the cause)

Heat: What heat, in ECO mode even after 12 hours it is hard to detect any temp rise.

HD TV: I watched the Patriots lose today but the image quality was another mark in the WOW column, resolution and color was impressive.

USB video: via my HD USB tuner I recorded 5 minutes of a cartoon in HD (555 meg) transferred to a USB stick and played back, the quality was equal the original.

Conclusion: This was money well spent, I really wanted to wait a little longer before replacing my 201, but it's death forced me to. Anyone who has a similar projector back ground will be more than pleased with this projector.

Is it perfect, no, but for the thrifty home theater builder it is GREAT. Would I like to have better color control, yes (not sure why though), would I like it to be quieter, anyone would say yes. The only question that remains to be answered is reliability. Because of my usage habits @ 6000 hrs the 201 bought the farm, but in those 6000 hours I saved the cost of 2 bulbs effectively covering the cost of the 201, both prior bulb projector lasted 8,000 and 9,000 hrs so this one died a little early for me.

For the cost ($640 including shipping from Amazon) this was a great next step for me, I didn't jump on the band wagon and go with the HX 301 from LG (not enough bang for the buck). So I waited 22 months to go from a 800 X 600, 200 lumen LED projector to a 1280 X 800 500 lumen projector. the big jump in lumen and resolution makes me feel like money well spent.

Now I'll hang around in the back ground for the 1080P sub $1 K LED projector that I'm sure will be out in 20-24 months.

I hope this was informative

AFM

Thanx for ur info mate,
i still have the lg HS200 so my question is, after 6000 H ur pj died, did u ask
Lg how much it would have cost to replace the LED or fix the problem? i'm still loving my HS200 but when the company tells u 20000 h and it lasted 6000 didn't u get a little frustrated? Too bad this optoma doesn't have audio out, playing xbox, ps3 and movies off usb hard drive with headphones or external speakers is out of the game, well' see how acer goes, i'd really like to upgrade the resolutin but these new pico pjs seem to have too many cons so far.
post #397 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 AM

I had almost convinced myself that I didn't need the audio out function but I wasn't thinking about not being able to play files from USB of SD card with headphone..

For $650 I wouldn't worry as much, still a great product for the price but I live in Australia and the Optoma sells for $850 here and no sign of when (if ever) the Acer will go on sale here.

Not too worried about the noise as I play most things with headphones anyway, but from what I just saw on the Acer thread, the Acer sounds like it might be pretty loud but everything is subjective. Really would need a way to compare the two, I have a feeling they'd all be very similar though.
post #398 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 AM

Btw, here's that link to the ML500 video in case anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sln817dpUMo
post #399 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnakfhe View Post

Ml500 does not have audio out. It's garbage focus issue last for 20 min. I wish I got the acer, it 500 lumens right?

Maybe you should spend more than $650 if you want something better. These are not HT projectors in the first place
post #400 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Maybe you should spend more than $650 if you want something better. These are not HT projectors in the first place

Yes, ml500 is not a HT in the first place.

It's more of a office type, but even in that role it fails, PDF files do not open correctly.

I am not saying that ml500 is bad and acer k330 is good. I'm just pointing out the acer k330 may be better because it has audio out, and who knows maybe all PDF work correctly (or not) on the acer.

Also, while using hdmi I keep loseing video sync and the display goes in and out. Cables and laptop are fine, it's a ml500 issue.

Something is fishie with the ml500 build.

Edit: ml500 was more like a overpriced 700+ rip. Where did u get 650?
post #401 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, ml500 is not a HT in the first place.

It's more of a office type, but even in that role it fails, PDF files do not open correctly.

I am not saying that ml500 is bad and acer k330 is good. I'm just pointing out the acer k330 may be better because it has audio out, and who knows maybe all PDF work correctly (or not) on the acer.

Also, while using hdmi I keep loseing video sync and the display goes in and out. Cables and laptop are fine, it's a ml500 issue.

Something is fishie with the ml500 build.

Edit: ml500 was more like a overpriced 700+ rip. Where did u get 650?

I got it from provantage.com for $618
post #402 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Just wondering can anybody, that owns this machine, say that their startup focus is 100 percent?
post #403 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Just wondering can anybody, that owns this machine, say that their startup focus is 100 percent?

When I first got it, I though it was.

But now that I examine it, no it's not.

I never owned a projector before, so I was not sure. But I can see now that when I power it on the focus changes from how it was when I use it last.

Celiing mounted, so no one touched the focus and what a pain to go up each time to change it back and forth.

I wanted a refund but the fool who sold it says they charge 15% restocking fee.
post #404 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a focus problem
post #405 of 685 Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I don't have a focus problem

Are you running Eco mode off and Brite color setting?

Also, in the menu does your serial # show up as all zero's?

Does anyone else have that problem, in menu under info. My serial number is all zero. Does that mean mine was an enginering sample?
post #406 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Hmmm, so about 4 people has this pj and only one seems to have a stable start up focus issue?

I thinking of this pj now cuz I can get it at a good price. The Acer seems to be a bit of a screamer and the NEC could be too and more expensive. But both have a better exhaust system. And not sure if I want to chance the Optoma start up focus issue at the same time. Decisions, decisions...

Afineman, u mentioned you noticed a bit of a focus issue before. How's it now?
post #407 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 07:41 PM

I got the ML500 a couple days ago and I'm having some problems.

I'm getting "display out of range" errors when using the PS3 as the HDMI source. Sometimes it picks up, but it takes awhile as it cycles through trying to sync. No issues with the 360 via HDMI.

Remote seems wonky too... I push a directional arrow once and it starts to cycle through the menus all crazy fast.

Any ideas?

Also, my ML500 shows 00000000 as my serial too.

Aside from the aforementioned issues, the picture is great.
post #408 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndnsmth View Post

I got the ML500 a couple days ago and I'm having some problems.

I'm getting "display out of range" errors when using the PS3 as the HDMI source. Sometimes it picks up, but it takes awhile as it cycles through trying to sync. No issues with the 360 via HDMI.

Remote seems wonky too... I push a directional arrow once and it starts to cycle through the menus all crazy fast.

Any ideas?

Also, my ML500 shows 00000000 as my serial too.

Aside from the aforementioned issues, the picture is great.

I got problems when using my laptop too. Just like your ps3, I'm running 1080p.

I find lowering the res to 720p fixed the issue,

Also, are you using different hdmi cables, cuz i find the cable may be affecting it but I did not test on my laptop.

My xbox is running good on 1080p also.

So I need to test the laptop with a new hdmi cable. But lowering it to 720p fixed that issue.

Also it does it after sometime not right away, so after it's nice and hot. Like it's overheating?
post #409 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mines kept cycling through all the sources everytime I switched inputs on my receiver. I just went to the menu and only checked hdmi. It still loses sync when I change inputs but it doesn't cycle through all the sources. It takes about 5 seconds until it finds the source again. Then, I have to always press the hide button for the source to come up. I need to figure out away that I don't. It really sucks on my HTPC. It loses source every time I press the full screen on my power dvd11, then I have to press the hide button so it will show up. Well, its inconvenient to have it lose source every time, but ill get use to it.
post #410 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I got problems when using my laptop too. Just like your ps3, I'm running 1080p.

I find lowering the res to 720p fixed the issue,

Also, are you using different hdmi cables, cuz i find the cable may be affecting it but I did not test on my laptop.

My xbox is running good on 1080p also.

So I need to test the laptop with a new hdmi cable. But lowering it to 720p fixed that issue.

Also it does it after sometime not right away, so after it's nice and hot. Like it's overheating?

I've tried different cables, different sources and resolutions. Only the PS3 (phat) has issues. I had the issue right out the box. Maybe I'm missing some setting on the PS3.

I don't believe my receiver is to blame, but I still need to do some further troubleshooting.
post #411 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 PM

With the PS3 in the off position, hold the power button down until you hear a second beep about 10 seconds after the initial beep. This will reset the video settings, follow the prompts to complete the process. If you still have problems, ensure that BD 24hz support is turned Off under Video Settings.

Or it may be a handshake issue?
post #412 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

With the PS3 in the off position, hold the power button down until you hear a second beep about 10 seconds after the initial beep. This will reset the video settings, follow the prompts to complete the process. If you still have problems, ensure that BD 24hz support is turned Off under Video Settings.

Or it may be a handshake issue?

Oops, yeah, I should have mentioned I tried all of the above already.

Guess a possible handshake issue. For example, after getting blinking sync screens and some fuzz the PS3 will eventually pick up. Once, I go to either play a blu-ray or video game and the whole video syncing issue happens all over again. The whole sync issue lasts a good 3-5 minutes before settling on the source (PS3).

Of all the devices going through my receiver (Onkyo HT-S3400), only the PS3 is encountering this issue. It must be something I'm doing...

I'm going to try some more things tomorrow. Turning equipment on in different order, etc...
post #413 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 PM

Guys,

I found that the option in menu called overscan needs to be off.

That seems to help.

However, that option is off by default but in fact it only says off but its really on.

What you have to do is turn it off and the and than on again, I found that helped me on the laptop that is exhibiting the same issues your seeing on ps3.

Be sure to do this each time and after the ps3 (hdmi device) is on, it's a pain but it works.

Let me know.
post #414 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 PM

I'm not seeing that option, Fnakfhe. Went through all the menus.

Looks like my issue has to do with the combination of my receiver (Onkyo HT-S3400) and the PS3. I just bypassed the receiver and hooked the PS3 up directly to the ML500 and didn't encounter any issues. Sucks that I only have issues with the PS3 running though the receiver and not the 360 or the satellite receiver.

I guess I can always just route my audio via optical opposed to HDMI for the PS3.

Wonder if I'd get different results with a PS3 Slim.
post #415 of 685 Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndnsmth View Post

I'm not seeing that option, Fnakfhe. Went through all the menus.

Looks like my issue has to do with the combination of my receiver (Onkyo HT-S3400) and the PS3. I just bypassed the receiver and hooked the PS3 up directly to the ML500 and didn't encounter any issues. Sucks that I only have issues with the PS3 running though the receiver and not the 360 or the satellite receiver.

I guess I can always just route my audio via optical opposed to HDMI for the PS3.

Wonder if I'd get different results with a PS3 Slim.

My apologies, it's called overscan.

Menu, right, down, down, enter.

Then it will show off and on, you will see that off is default. Turn it on and back off by pressing right and then left. This is what helped me.
post #416 of 685 Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Are you running Eco mode off and Brite color setting?

Also, in the menu does your serial # show up as all zero's?

Does anyone else have that problem, in menu under info. My serial number is all zero. Does that mean mine was an enginering sample?

Hi,
The audio out is with the AV in/Audio out.
Try this output to connect headset or Hifi reciever
post #417 of 685 Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 AM

There is no "AV in/Audio out" port. It's an audio and composite video input.
post #418 of 685 Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 AM

Just trying to compare the noise between the Optoma and Acer. HenryDudley described the noise from the Acer as "I guess maybe take the fan noise your average laptop makes with the fans on full and then double or triple it." Could that be taken as a pretty accurate description of the Optoma as well?
post #419 of 685 Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave_Runner View Post

Hi,
The audio out is with the AV in/Audio out.
Try this output to connect headset or Hifi reciever

Good work. I would like to thank you for not reading the previous post I made, it's right on this page up top. I clearly tell you the following:

Quote:

post #420 of 685 Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Liked: 12
I've been looking for a stop-gap projector for my HT as the bulb in my Sharp XV-Z3000 is about to pop. My eye has been on the 720p LED models, and in fact I auditioned a Vivitek Qumi in my theater for a couple of weeks. Ultimately I sent it back due to the focus issues, and in the meantime have been trying monitoring developments with the clones.

On an impulse I decided to pick up the ML500 at my local brick and mortar store to test out in my theater over the weekend. In case it is any benefit to others, here are my thoughts from my first couple days of viewing.

Pros
  • The colors are great, compared to the Qumi (which had no way to turn off the cartoonish colors) when in standard mode the Optoma has much more natural colors. Compared to the aging bulb in my Sharp there is no contest.
  • In my room compared to the Qumi and my Sharp, the Optoma is very bright. In Eco mode the ML500 is brighter than my Sharp in its brightest mode.
  • The contrast seems decent, it is brighter than the Qumi but the black level is about the same. The black level on the Sharp is much lower, however.
  • The noise in Eco mode isn't that bad. It is quieter than the Sharp and just a little bit louder than the Qumi. I would like it to be quieter, though.
  • I thought it was cool that the projector would auto orient itself in either ceiling or tabletop mode, this is the first PJ I've had that has done that.

Cons
  • Perhaps my unit is a lemon, but the CA on it is abysmal all the way across the screen. Green is off by at least two pixels, blue is off between 1/2 - 1 pixel, and red is off by about 1/2 a pixel. The CA results in a soft and blurry image that no amount of focusing can fix. I thought my Qumi had bad CA, but this unit is worse. On my screen the Qumi appeared much sharper and revealed more detail in the source.
  • The projector is very loud if it isn't in eco mode.
  • I was surprised that when I turned it off the fans kept running. The Qumi didn't do this.
  • My unit does have a focus issue, although not as severe as the Qumi. Even so, it doesn't fully come into focus until about 20 minutes have elapsed.
  • Like the Qumi, the ML500 has more posterization than my Sharp and so things in motion appear to have less detail.
  • As someone else has posted, periodically the ML500 will lose signal with the source and the screen will go blank. I have to hit the "Hide" button on the remote to get the picture back.

Ultimately I am going to return this to the store, primarily due to the CA problems, but also because of the delays in focusing. But I will keep it around for a few more days if anyone has questions that I can answer.

Below a capture of a cross-hatch pattern on the Qumi, to demonstrate the CA issues my unit has. Note that this was taken in the center of the screen, so the CA isn't isolated to the edges.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Ml500 Led Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page