OPTOMA ML500 LED 1280x800 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Raine0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From a website selling the Acer, for reference.

Brightness
500 ANSI lumens (Standard mode), 400 ANSI lumens (ECO mode)

Noise level
35 dBA (Bright mode), 33 dBA (Standard mode), 29 dBA (ECO mode)
Raine0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
From my EVO, not perfect but close. Looks a lot better than the pictures
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Small and has a little carrying case. I can put it in my GT720 gametime book bag
LL
LL
LL
LL
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Watching G.I. Joe, didn't know 720p could look so good. It look better than my Marantz VP8600. I guess that's going up for sale.
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
blee0120 ? would you say that this Optoma ML-500 would justify upgraded from the LG HX-300 ? would there be that much noticeable difference concerning other things than the higher lumens ?
I don't know if you had the LG HX-300 or know someone who did you have seen it in action.
Maybe many of us got ahead of ourselves when the LG HX-300 came out saying that " could this be the game changer " , now with these 500 Lumens and slightly more resolution, are we at the threshold that we can now say that this might be the game changer where the old bulb projectors are the thing of the passed ?
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

blee0120 ? would you say that this Optoma ML-500 would justify upgraded from the LG HX-300 ? would there be that much noticeable difference concerning other things than the higher lumens ?
I don't know if you had the LG HX-300 or know someone who did you have seen it in action.
Maybe many of us got ahead of ourselves when the LG HX-300 came out saying that " could this be the game changer " , now with these 500 Lumens and slightly more resolution, are we at the threshold that we can now say that this might be the game changer where the old bulb projectors are the thing of the passed ?

It looks really good. I don't know about a game changer. Pair with a 90-110in HP screen would be near perfect. For something so inexpensive, I don't know what would be better for less than $1000. I'm more excited out the picture quality than my RS40. Probably because I expect it from JVC, but not from this 2lb projector. I keep thinking out turning it off because of the lamp to maintain this vibrant picture, but I don't. Worth the $615 I paid for it
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Newbie
 
winjones2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
blee0120

Rainbow? Approximate speed of the color wheel.

120hz 1280x720 VGA work?


Thank you very much.
winjones2 is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Member
 
LeonZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How does the pixel structure look like? Diamond or Normal?
LeonZA is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
PoisonWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonZA View Post

How does the pixel structure look like? Diamond or Normal?

It has been discussed previously I believe. Qumi, Optoma, Acer, LG, Viewsonic all use the same 1280x800 chip. They are all diamond pixels.

TI didnt miraculously make a 1280x800 (between the Qumi and now) in square format unfortunately. If it was, it would be really hard to resist tearing another hole in my pocket.
PoisonWolf is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Wave_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel, Pardess Hanna
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

It looks really good. I don't know about a game changer. Pair with a 90-110in HP screen would be near perfect. For something so inexpensive, I don't know what would be better for less than $1000. I'm more excited out the picture quality than my RS40. Probably because I expect it from JVC, but not from this 2lb projector. I keep thinking out turning it off because of the lamp to maintain this vibrant picture, but I don't. Worth the $615 I paid for it

Hi, Did you try to run MKV with subs?
Where did you bought the projector for $615?
I owned before the qumi. it was quiet enough in standard mode.
I hope someone tell me the difference between QUMI and ML500 or K330 in noise prespective...

Thanks
Wave_Runner is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Member
 
seph22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winjones2 View Post

blee0120

Rainbow? Approximate speed of the color wheel.

120hz 1280x720 VGA work?


Thank you very much.

it doesn't do 120hz 1280x720

Optoma went cheap and it maxes out at 1024x768 for 3D-120hz, this is mentioned in the manual and amazon order page too
seph22 is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave_Runner View Post


Hi, Did you try to run MKV with subs?
Where did you bought the projector for $615?
I owned before the qumi. it was quiet enough in standard mode.
I hope someone tell me the difference between QUMI and ML500 or K330 in noise prespective...

Thanks

I called provantage and they lowered the price. I only tried avi and mp4 files so far. I got a 2GB SDHC, so I'm going to pick up a 32GG SDHC later on
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Another plus is that I can always have my HTPC or laptop on a 120in screen without worrying about a bulb anymore. Another plus with an led projector and I don't have to be in the dark
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Member
 
afineman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey All

Occasional poster, perpetual lurker, yet I have some thoughts.

I believe this is the first LED projector blee0120 has (Please correct me if I am wrong), assuming I am correct, any one going form a bulb projector will be very impressed with their first LED projector (color WOW factor).

Color depth can not be beat when using an LED projector (heck look at the "very close to accurate" photos I posted in 09 using the LG HS201), the big question is.

Noise (remember, if this is his first LED projector he may be willing to take the noise for the great color), heat and focus (I was one of the first to ask if others has the same focus problem I had with my Qimi, most said no (at that time), I thought I had a bad unit) should be the main questions.

There is no doubt LED projectors will become the main stay, there is no doubt the color from a LED projector rivals a bulb projector, but we need to focus on a few things besides "That WOW".

I sit here and type this on my computer using my 20 month old HS201 and am still WOWed by the color. yet I was disappointing by the Qumi because of the focus (I sent mine back), so the higher res and color depth did not blow me away (because, I expected those WOWs).

Anyone going from a bulb projector to a LED projector (my opinion)will get a WOW and NOT get the same WOW when going from 1 LED projector to another.

Having said that (so everyone knows where I'm coming from), I want to know about resolution, heat, color control, and noise.

Currently my HTPC has more fan noise than my LG HS20 (less than an arms distance away) so noise is important to me, I have a well (Light) controlled room (so the 201 in normal mode is bright enough), so the only things I'm looking for is higher res and good color control. my current projector has many hours on it (it has already paid for its self in bulb savings) so as long as I get a few years out of it, it is break even for me.

Just some random thoughts

AFM
afineman is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Raine0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

Hey All

Occasional poster, perpetual lurker, yet I have some thoughts.

I believe this is the first LED projector blee0120 has (Please correct me if I am wrong), assuming I am correct, any one going form a bulb projector will be very impressed with their first LED projector (color WOW factor).

Color depth can not be beat when using an LED projector (heck look at the "very close to accurate" photos I posted in 09 using the LG HS201), the big question is.

Noise (remember, if this is his first LED projector he may be willing to take the noise for the great color), heat and focus (I was one of the first to ask if others has the same focus problem I had with my Qimi, most said no (at that time), I thought I had a bad unit) should be the main questions.

There is no doubt LED projectors will become the main stay, there is no doubt the color from a LED projector rivals a bulb projector, but we need to focus on a few things besides "That WOW".

I sit here and type this on my computer using my 20 month old HS201 and am still WOWed by the color. yet I was disappointing by the Qumi because of the focus (I sent mine back), so the higher res and color depth did not blow me away (because, I expected those WOWs).

Anyone going from a bulb projector to a LED projector (my opinion)will get a WOW and NOT get the same WOW when going from 1 LED projector to another.

Having said that (so everyone knows where I'm coming from), I want to know about resolution, heat, color control, and noise.

Currently my HTPC has more fan noise than my LG HS20 (less than an arms distance away) so noise is important to me, I have a well (Light) controlled room (so the 201 in normal mode is bright enough), so the only things I'm looking for is higher res and good color control. my current projector has many hours on it (it has already paid for its self in bulb savings) so as long as I get a few years out of it, it is break even for me.

Just some random thoughts

AFM

afineman, there seems to be different numbers going around for the noise level of the LG HS201. What is it exactly?
Raine0 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Member
 
seph22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If noise is important then wait for ACER K330 if not then OPTOMA ML500 seems like a good deal,

OPTOMA ML500 is noisy no other reviews will change that, 38DB is a lot for me personally, my Desktop fans all of them is below 30db including CPU, While gaming GPU max out at 40DB and i consider that VERY loud but i don't mind it for "gaming" but during movies with silent moments/scene hearing the fan noise buzzing would annoy me a lot.
seph22 is offline  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

Hey All

Occasional poster, perpetual lurker, yet I have some thoughts.

I believe this is the first LED projector blee0120 has (Please correct me if I am wrong), assuming I am correct, any one going form a bulb projector will be very impressed with their first LED projector (color WOW factor).

Color depth can not be beat when using an LED projector (heck look at the "very close to accurate" photos I posted in 09 using the LG HS201), the big question is.

Noise (remember, if this is his first LED projector he may be willing to take the noise for the great color), heat and focus (I was one of the first to ask if others has the same focus problem I had with my Qimi, most said no (at that time), I thought I had a bad unit) should be the main questions.

There is no doubt LED projectors will become the main stay, there is no doubt the color from a LED projector rivals a bulb projector, but we need to focus on a few things besides "That WOW".

I sit here and type this on my computer using my 20 month old HS201 and am still WOWed by the color. yet I was disappointing by the Qumi because of the focus (I sent mine back), so the higher res and color depth did not blow me away (because, I expected those WOWs).

Anyone going from a bulb projector to a LED projector (my opinion)will get a WOW and NOT get the same WOW when going from 1 LED projector to another.

Having said that (so everyone knows where I'm coming from), I want to know about resolution, heat, color control, and noise.

Currently my HTPC has more fan noise than my LG HS20 (less than an arms distance away) so noise is important to me, I have a well (Light) controlled room (so the 201 in normal mode is bright enough), so the only things I'm looking for is higher res and good color control. my current projector has many hours on it (it has already paid for its self in bulb savings) so as long as I get a few years out of it, it is break even for me.

Just some random thoughts

AFM

I don't think I'm wowed by the colors because its my first led projector. I'm wowed by it because I'm throwing a 120in picture with 350 lumens at almost max gain on my 2.4 HP screen with great color. I think if I went up to a higher resolution that is 1080p, I would have that wow again. I'm amazed by it because I paid just over $600 for this and it perform similar to most of my projectors even my panny ae3000 and ae4000. The fan noise doesn't bother me because I will not be watching TV and sports in silent. I also think if I came from a LG HS201 with about 100 lumens and a resolution of 800x600, I would have been ecstatic with this Optoma still.
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I'm using a 119in Da Lite 2.4 HP screen. I just measured again and I'm getting 351 lumens on standard mode. The fan is noticeable but not a big problem like yesterday. It doesnt get really hot. Yesterday I had it on for 3 hours and it was warm. I like the PC mode the best out of all the settings. Out of the box with this mode is great. It looks like my RS40 will be getting much needed rest.

have you see that you tube video, it's not really that loud, is it?
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post


have you see that you tube video, it's not really that loud, is it?

They had to record it right next to the projector. I sit about 18in away and its not that loud. I cent hear it unless the sound is silent. If it was that loud, I would be returning it tomorrow. I'll post a video from my sitting distance when I get home later or in the morning
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

They had to record it right next to the projector. I sit about 18in away and its not that loud. I cent hear it unless the sound is silent. If it was that loud, I would be returning it tomorrow. I'll post a video from my sitting distance when I get home later or in the morning

thanks! the QUMI isn't exactly silent either but it doesn't bother me since it's just for TV viewing.
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
blee0120 >>> Have you tried to input a native 16:9 content dvd/blu-ray disc AND displayed it natively on the ML500 ? You should get two very thin black bars on top and bottom of image indicating there isn't any forced scaling to its native 1280x800 resolution. A buyer of the LG HW300T in Europe reported that his unit scales all 16:9 content to full panel display, without any recourse offered to the user !
Also, does the remote control use AAA batteries or watch "cell" batteries ?
Thanks....
MCaugusto is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Ir bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
36 dB

Hear it for yourself

[url="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html"]

You will have your conclusions
Ir bass is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

blee0120 >>> Have you tried to input a native 16:9 content dvd/blu-ray disc AND displayed it natively on the ML500 ? You should get two very thin black bars on top and bottom of image indicating there isn't any forced scaling to its native 1280x800 resolution. A buyer of the LG HW300T in Europe reported that his unit scales all 16:9 content to full panel display, without any recourse offered to the user !
Also, does the remote control use AAA batteries or watch "cell" batteries ?
Thanks....

It comes with cell batteries. I looked at a dvd yesterday and I didn't notice any black bars
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

It comes with cell batteries. I looked at a dvd yesterday and I didn't notice any black bars

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, blee0120, although i should have written "does the pj do 1:1 mapping correctly" since i didn't specify the screen ratio...
The LG HW300T owner reporting the problem said that the pj always scaled any 16:9 content to the native 16:10 picture ratio of the 1280x800 Pico chip, thus round objects/circles appear slightly oval due to vertical zooming from 720 to 800 pixels.
I wonder if the only way you could ascertain that on the Optoma ML500 would be to input any test pattern with circles in it, just like the owner did, otherwise it would be difficult to notice ?
MCaugusto is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Member
 
Jartanyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
blee0120 - have you noticed any issues with the focus? How about the clarity of text on the screen?

I am personally waiting for the Acer because I am not a fan of Optoma's customer support, but I wonder if all these clones are all really going to vary between fan noise. The LED's have to be able to dissipate heat in order to keep their longevity. When overdriving something such as this, it makes me wonder if their life and brightness will truly last that long.
Jartanyon is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
This is the fan noise on Eco mode playing a video from the SD card slot. The first ten seconds is when the volume is turned down to hear the fan, then the video plays to show how it affects the videos. Then, the video stops again with just the fan noise on at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-THZSm3Zyc
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jartanyon View Post

blee0120 - have you noticed any issues with the focus? How about the clarity of text on the screen?

I am personally waiting for the Acer because I am not a fan of Optoma's customer support, but I wonder if all these clones are all really going to vary between fan noise. The LED's have to be able to dissipate heat in order to keep their longevity. When overdriving something such as this, it makes me wonder if their life and brightness will truly last that long.

The focus have not been a problem for me yet and the clarity of the text has been clear for me.
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eat meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
over driving now...any proof?

__________________________________________
Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

(fifth element)
__________________________________________
eat meat is offline  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
This is a 2012 playing on my blu ray player on standard mode. The first 10 seconds is when the volume on mute with only the fan noise, then the video plays and stops again to show the fan noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFVjFqlRfk
blee0120 is online now  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbw23air's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KY
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

This is a 2012 playing on my blu ray player on standard mode. The first 10 seconds is when the volume on mute with only the fan noise, then the video plays and stops again to show the fan noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFVjFqlRfk

Ok, now your videos aren't as loud as the other Youtube video. That makes me feel better. I bet the other guy was just trying to show off picture quality and had the mic real close to the projector. I am interested once again. Damn this obsession.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
mbw23air is offline  
 

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Ml500 Led Projector
Gear in this thread - Ml500 by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off