Panasonic projector help please - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, posted before and got some great advice, so hope someone can give me some guidance.

My problem is the projector turns off with a cllick about ten seconds after it is turned on. Just replaced the bulb, and am wondering if anyone has had this issue before.
I had a cheap non panny bulb in before and it started to die about 1000 hrs in. I learned my lesson about bulbs, and purchased a genuine panny bulb. It is great. Problem is, when the old bulb started to go, I started having the on/off problem. Now with the new bulb it is doing it again. on for about ten seconds, then it auto switches off. A manual on/off sequence ususally got it to stay on, but now it just won't stay lit.
I heard about a thermal sensor. Is there a thermal sensor that is blown, which could be the problem? If anyone out there has any experience with this, I would appreciate any advice. I don't want to further the damage if there is a way to prevent it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

What's the model#?
post #3 of 16 Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

The model is a pt ae3000u. 2yrs old. Well ventilated. Just don't have any idea what the issue is. Like I said I just put a new GENUINE Panny bulb in it, so not sure. Thanks for replying. Got any ideas about what could be the problem?
post #4 of 16 Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Which LED's light up when the projector shuts down?
post #5 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

No lights flash at all,it just shuts off completely. Then the remote won't work, and i have to manually turn the projector on. I've looked, but nothing is illuminated at the top of the projector where the indicator lights are. Sounds like a circuit is popping when it happens. Seems to be random as well, since it has turned on flawlessly for the last couple of days.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If I had to take a guess I'd say you have a failing main board or power supply...main board being the more likely culprit, given how intermittent the symptoms seem to be.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The dynamic iris actuator is a common cause of those projectors shutting down. They need re-lubed fromt ime to time. There is a click associated with it, but to me it sounds decidedly mechanical not electronic.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

The dynamic iris actuator is a common cause of those projectors shutting down. They need re-lubed fromt ime to time. There is a click associated with it, but to me it sounds decidedly mechanical not electronic.

He said all the LED's shut off. That's a clear indication of a failing power supply or main board. If it were an iris failure the projector would go through the normal cooldown process (with the typical cooldown LED behavior).
post #9 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Could be. I have seen AE1000's shut down with the iris issue and hard shut down at that, where power would have to be pulled and then re-applied to get it to light the LED again. In other words no LED period after the shutdown.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well we can agree to disagree.

In any case if it were an iris failure he's reached the point where the unit won't turn on at all anymore, so it would have to go in for service regardless.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok well, its been a week now. In the menu of the projector I turned off the dynamic iris function, and the projector has worked perfectly. it hasn't shut off once since that change. i'm assuming it is the dynamic iris, and will have it serviced. Thanks alot guys!
post #12 of 16 Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious - was the info you provided inaccurate, or did you somehow manage to get in the menu and turn off the dynamic iris before the 10 seconds was up and the projector shut down?
post #13 of 16 Unread Today, 01:03 PM

Liked: 0
Hi... looking for some help with a similar problem. I have a Panasonic PTAE 900u.

I just replaced my bulb and reset the hours. Everything was good. Then I decided to address the annoying noise that has been coming from the unit for a while now.

I replaced a fan that I thought was the culprit. Now the projector turns on for several seconds in what appears to be a warm up cycle where it looks like there is a low level light, and then shuts down with a click when it appears to attempt to boot up. The power light turns an orange color for a second before it turns red and the unit shuts down.

While trying to troubleshoot, I learned through this forum that the noise was being caused by the dynamic iris which I resolved by lubricating.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the projector to go past the warm up cycle.
If anyone out there has any experience with this, I would appreciate any advice.
post #14 of 16 Unread Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold56 View Post
Hi... looking for some help with a similar problem. I have a Panasonic PTAE 900u.

I just replaced my bulb and reset the hours. Everything was good. Then I decided to address the annoying noise that has been coming from the unit for a while now.

I replaced a fan that I thought was the culprit. Now the projector turns on for several seconds in what appears to be a warm up cycle where it looks like there is a low level light, and then shuts down with a click when it appears to attempt to boot up. The power light turns an orange color for a second before it turns red and the unit shuts down.

While trying to troubleshoot, I learned through this forum that the noise was being caused by the dynamic iris which I resolved by lubricating.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the projector to go past the warm up cycle.
If anyone out there has any experience with this, I would appreciate any advice.
How did you replace the fan? The exact same model? It depends, but some fans have RPM sensors attached, which will produce a warning if not properly connected to the projector (will assume the fan has died).
post #15 of 16 Unread Today, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post
How did you replace the fan? The exact same model? It depends, but some fans have RPM sensors attached, which will produce a warning if not properly connected to the projector (will assume the fan has died).
I ordered a new fan with exact same specs but the last three identifiers were slightly different (000 vs 00L) it came with just two wires attached (missing the sensor wire). The old harness was soldered to the new fan as it appears to have the same chip as the original and it ran properly when tested prior to install. I still have the original fan. Maybe I should wire that one again and replace the "new" one seeing as the noise issue was with the dynamic iris.
post #16 of 16 Unread Today, 04:32 PM

I bought a fan with the same specs however, the model number on the fan ended with 000 instead of 00L. The fan came with two wires instead of three but it appears to be the same chip, so we soldered the 3 wire connector from the original fan and tested it. It operated properly.

Perhaps I should just put the connector back onto the original fan and re-install, seeing as I have solved the noise problem... and see how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page