ACER K330 LED 1280x800 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 935 Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The QUMI has a better picture quality? Could you point me to a review or comparison that reaches this conclusion? I was under the impression the clones were generally of higher quality and was looking at the K330 as the superior option. If there's less than $100 dollars of price difference, I'd rather the pj that gives the best picture in a dark room (movies/games/video).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 935 Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshosh View Post

The QUMI has a better picture quality? Could you point me to a review or comparison that reaches this conclusion?

Check other thread ,there are comparison with pictures about Qumi and Optoma, also but last, I had simultaneous both over weeks, and this is my experience, Qumi has less CA, means better pictures quality, but lower lumen.

Also, many more expensive projector cannot imagine above 150" because pixelation. Acer can, and not only 200", I mean more far.
post #363 of 935 Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tataniko View Post

Check other thread ,there are comparison with pictures about Qumi and Optoma.

What other thread, the qumi or the optoma one?
post #364 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRoW View Post

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-K330.htm

Apparently has an MSRP of $419.. I was just about to order it from amazon.de for $499 euro (cheapest I have seen so far), now I'm thinking worth waiting to see if that MSRP translates to as street value..

That cannot be right. Acer may be the ODM and have economies of scale on their side but such a huge disparity can only be explained with the fact that this is a typo.

By the way, the cheapest is at the TD link on eBay I posted earlier: $599 = 435 Euro (at today's rates).
post #365 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

What other thread, the qumi or the optoma one?

Check optoma thread at page 15.

I am big Qumi fan, and I have experience more than 200 led hours with her, also I created Qumi article in wiki, but K330 is much better for home entertainment system than Qumi.
post #366 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post

... By the way, the cheapest is at the TD link on eBay I posted earlier: $599 = 435 Euro (at today's rates).

Problem for me is the two Acer K330's on US Amazon (including the TD one) don't seem to ship to Australia, so my choices now are either go with the german amazon one or wait and hope amazon US starts selling it soon and they do ship here. I need this thing before xmas I've been lurking forums reading about LED PJ's since the first rumours of the QUMI and been holding out ever since.. it's killing me!

Hoping the US MSRP is not a typo but I agree, the difference in price is a bit much. I've seen that $419 MSRP quoted on a lot of press release articles in the last day or so.. but they might all be quoting each other.
Actually the Amazon.de one is quoted as 499 Euro but when I take the order to final payment (ordering from Australia) it actually said Item: 420 Euro, Shipping: 40 Euro for a total of 460 (Maybe some european taxes not included? or another typo?), So about A$614 (US$633) delivered which I was pretty happy with. US$419 I'd be laughin'

To put price differences in perspective though, the Optoma is available here in Australia ranging from $750 to $850, while the Viewsonic sells here for $1200.. go figure. We do get ripped off here in OZ for tech stuff, and they wonder why everyone buys online.

Either way I can get Optoma locally for $750 or Acer (with Audio out which I do want) delivered from across the world for $614 (Luckily we don't pay any import taxes here for anything

Question: Is anyone in this forum from Australia who has ever ordered from Amazon.de? It'd be my first purchase overseas of that scale just wondering what the feedback is..
post #367 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 AM

Nevermind, I've just ordered it anyway! Getting it from Amazon.de for 460 Euro including delivery.. now the excrutiating wait begins..

Getting it delivered at work, I think the wait to get home after work after it's delivered will feel even longer than the total delivery time

Hoping there's no issues with that order, I'll have to rely on google translate for communication

Anyway, just want to say thanks to everyone who's posted on here, I've been reading these forums for so long now and it has been the best source of information regarding these topics..

Can't wait to play Skyrim at 100" on the living room wall
post #368 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

We have to do two things with K330:

1. Spoof or edit Acer EDID to get 720p@120hz.
2. Make a custom firmware.

It is not easy, but not impossible. Any help is appreciate.
post #369 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

post #370 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Monitor Asset Manager
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
Extron EDID Manager
http://www.extron.com/product/softwa...id=edidmanager

This is stuff I've used so far, but I've only done a little with it. If someone happens upon better aticles or software, please share.
post #371 of 935 Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Now when I properly set it up, I will have it higher up and use more keystone and the noise will lessen a bit for sure. How much we'll see then.

The less keystoning the better unless it is done optically. When using Digital Keystone correction, the widest part of the image is squeezed to the width of the thinnest. This distorts and degrades the quality of the image projected to a degree.

Has anyone tried using a 3D-XL, VP3D1 or VP 3D converter with their K330?
post #372 of 935 Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM

I came across another program called EDID Editor, you'll find it listed under tools and resources on this page http://blog.bagearon.com/?p=38
BTW the Nvidia 3DTV Play override EDID listed is for a over/under format capable display and will not work with HDMI 1.3 projectors.
post #373 of 935 Old 11-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Found this k330 vid on youtube

didn't see it already posted.

Quote:

Hoping the US MSRP is not a typo but I agree, the difference in price is a bit much. I've seen that $419 MSRP quoted on a lot of press release articles in the last day or so.. but they might all be quoting each other.

I keep seeing the $419 price also, most of the press quote something like this "Acer said the projector, which carries a $419 suggested retail"

Found some contact info on the bottom of this one.

" Media Contact:
Lisa Emard"

Quick google search says she is
"Lisa Emard, Acer's director of media relations"

Someone with more time than me contact Acer and see if the $419 price is real. Or Acer please post a response in this topic.

K330 on acer us site
post #374 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 AM

Anyone get their hands on a wireless dongle?
post #375 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 AM

It is possible to calibrate projector with a factory software via USB or Jtag port. If anyone have this factory program, please post it.

Today I reset the LED calibration data in Factory Menu. I tried to set back fine tuned, but projector only accept via serial communication.
I don't see what is the different the fine tuned LED calibration setting, and the cleared default. Anyone has experience about it?
And discovered also, if I choose Video preset, and after make a reset LED calibration data, then Picture preset get a very economy low powered current settings 145/125/121.
post #376 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 AM

Through a week I had two Acer K330 hands on. The values of the two K330 were really different in Factory Menu, different LED calibration, Thermal settings, etc, but only one thing was same: in error log the AC was interrupted at 6.55.

This means, the factory calibrates each projectors unique, and test it over 6 hours.
Not bad.
post #377 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 AM

You are braver than me tataniko. I am interested in the "super low power mode", but not if it breaks my projector!
Did you compare settings before and after you reset the led calibration?
Have you noticed any change in picture quality?
post #378 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich75 View Post

You are braver than me tataniko. I am interested in the "super low power mode", but not if it breaks my projector!
Did you compare settings before and after you reset the led calibration?
Have you noticed any change in picture quality?

Finally I found the super economy mode on Video preset after resetting calibration data, it is very low 129/86/127, I think it is between 30-40 watts. Also I try to figure out, how can I change the fan speed with playing high attitude mode to cool down unit, fan zeta value changing and resetting thermal data. Sometimes it is possible to reduce fan speed, but I don't know how.

I tried all things in factory menu even factory reset, and my advise don't run burn in test, because you cannot stop it, even AC out. That is real sucks.

But try out in optical settings patterns and pokes, that is great. But for me the last vertical grid on right side is thinner. Anybody else?

I deleted fine tuned Led calibration data in Factory menu. Oh I am not happy with this, and perhaps I lost picture quality, I know with my mind it is worse before, but I cannot see serious difference, but I have a lower power consumption now and I am happy with it.

If anyone can get the factory software, there will be a huge step, because we can calibrate the projector.
post #379 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If anyone can get the factory software, there will be a huge step, because we can calibrate the projector.

Very very exciting news. Thanks for taking the risk and testing this stuff out
post #380 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 01:53 PM

So what did you do to get the RGB values to change again from 145/125/121 to 129/86/127 ? These seem like very different values

Have you tried doing a "led calibration" in the management submenu to see if anything changes?

Do you have anything in the first 4 boxes ? R,G,B,W(x/y/Y/S)
post #381 of 935 Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich75 View Post

Do you have anything in the first 4 boxes ? R,G,B,W(x/y/Y/S)

Yes, I have, but it is different then before.

In factory menu, the projector tries to communicate, and accept any values for fan speed, Led current, RGB setting etc. The problem is, how can we put any values to the eeprom, and fine tune the projector. This is true for all clones, because it is same factory menu, only user interface is different.

If anybody examine the firmware, looks likes it is not encrypted and compressed, therefore the communication goes over built in chipset via free protocol.

The easiest way, if appears a leaked factory software,
or somebody try to ask it from an acer/optoma/nec/viewsonic technician. Please try it.

Or a smarter people than me will figure out how can we extract firmware and which way can we send some byte to the projector.

So this project is not only for Acer, but for all clones.
post #382 of 935 Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 AM

How is it works, how can we send values to the projector.

Need a Clone, and USB B cable, and a Communication software.

1. Connect to the Projector to the PC with USB B cable.
2. Go to the Factory menu, and select the desired calibration menu(example LED)
3. Put your values into the Communication software, and send it to the projector.
4. In the Factory Menu, choose the first line at Led Calibration menu, and press once Menu button on the remote.
- Now you start the communication, and the projector will try to connect and read the values from PC.
If this was success, then all values will appear on the screen.
Now go back to the Factory menu, and all values will store.

I hope this is possible over USB, not jtag, debug or serial port.
Also possible to change in the projector setup USB screen, because this can effect to USB B port.
post #383 of 935 Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

How is it works, how can we send values to the projector.

Need a Clone, and USB B cable, and a Communication software.

1. Connect to the Projector to the PC with USB B cable.
2. Go to the Factory menu, and select the desired calibration menu(example LED)
3. Put your values into the Communication software, and send it to the projector.
4. In the Factory Menu, choose the first line at Led Calibration menu, and press once Menu button on the remote.
- Now you start the communication, and the projector will try to connect and read the values from PC.
If this was success, then all values will appear on the screen.
Now go back to the Factory menu, and all values will store.

I hope this is possible over USB, not jtag, debug or serial port.
Also possible to change in the projector setup USB screen, because this can effect to USB B port.

Hi,
Did you manage to reduce the speed fan so it will be quiter? like the Qumi?
Thanks,
post #384 of 935 Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM

I think you can use powerstrip to reprogram the eeprom. http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
post #385 of 935 Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 PM

I received my K330 yesterday.. man I love this thing!

Mind you I never own a proper projector before so there is a lot of that WOW factor that I think a lot of people may not get once used to higher end projectors but man this thing is awesome..

I have it setup UNDER my coffee table about 3m away from the wall (projecting on a white wall). Just point the remote at the wall, press, and in a few seconds I have a bright HD 80" tv screen appearing out of nowhere.. just love it.. To me the colours look great just on the presets so I won't bother trying to fine-tune anything. Playing Skyrim for a while using Game preset and that was the most immersing gaming experience I've ever had!

I use this as my main TV, xbox screen and even main computer screen, I find the resolution plenty for my purposes and I haven't really noticed any issues with CA (I can almost see a greenish pixel showing when I look at the mouse cursor from about 10cm away from the screen.. but normal use totally non-existent). Brightness is fine for me to watch tv with all lights turned on in my living room and I turn lights down/off anyway for gaming and movie nights, the light coming back from the projector itself is enough to see where I put down my beer so no worries. No focus drift issue that I could notice but I don't think that'd bother me even if there was, this little thing is my new best friend.

Also as I had never experienced a DLP projector before, I was glad to find out I must not be susceptible to rainbow effect at all, playing movies and even game with fast moving scenes I never noticed anything out of place.

Over-all, thing this is actually physically smaller, brighter and better quality than I expected. Couldn't be happier. Ordered on the 8th from Amazon germany, received on the 14th in Brisbane, Australia, for a total of AU$638.

If this thing ever breaks I'd order another one without a second thought.

Also realyl glad I went with Acer for the Audio out option I'm really using that with my setup. Like I said I have it setup under the coffee table pointing up at the screen (auto-keystone worked great) with my xbox and tv tuner under there too and sound outputting to a decent speaker at the back of the room.

Cheers! Thanks again for all the posters who helped me make up my mind!
post #386 of 935 Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:

I received my K330 yesterday.. man I love this thing!

I am happy to your pleasure too. The four clones are the smartest choice at the moment.
post #387 of 935 Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Also as I had never experienced a DLP projector before, I was glad to find out I must not be susceptible to rainbow effect at all, playing movies and even game with fast moving scenes I never noticed anything out of place.

It's more about how you move than how the images moves. If you watch a dark scene and make rapid eye/head movements, I would say most people can notice the rainbow effect. If you want to see rainbows just for fun you can also hold your hand in front of the beam and wave it back and forth fast. I don't consider either of these an actual problem though, since few people watch that way.
post #388 of 935 Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM

It turned out that there is an Acer suport center here in Latvia so i brought my acer k330. I was not sure if they would consider part of the screen being out of focus as a factory fault. Called them today and was told that they have ordered some part. God i miss my pj

Has anybody tried the original or an alternative USB dongle yet?
post #389 of 935 Old 11-16-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrs35 View Post

It turned out that there is an Acer suport center here in Latvia so i brought my acer k330. I was not sure if they would consider part of the screen being out of focus as a factory fault. Called them today and was told that they have ordered some part. God i miss my pj

Has anybody tried the original or an alternative USB dongle yet?

Hi,
I saw it today in Amazon.de 53EUR???
too much for one little wifi dongle:
post #390 of 935 Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
ZSK

I'm really thinking about buying the Acer K330 to replace a Mitsubishi HC1500. I like the idea of LEDs and not worrying about bulb life, just not sure I will be happy with the light output. But I do have a light controlled basement with no windows... pitch black when I'm using the projector. Any thoughts? The main use will be Xbox 360 gaming, on a 100" matte screen.

Thank you!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector , Projectors , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - K330 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page