Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidglide View Post

Hi guys,

Need some advice from you.

Currently i own a LG HS201, i am contemplating buying the Acer K330.
My question would be will the Acer be significantly better than the LG in terms of resolution and lumes.
I am quite happy with the LG but would not mind upgrading to the Acer if offers massive ebenfits.(lg sometimes leaves me wanting more lumens)
My main usage is gaming and movies!

I'd wait. I have the HS201 and bought the K330. I only had it set up for a few hours while I was trying to find the Zoom ring (read the preceeding arguments at your own peril)

I would say it was only Marginally better than the HS201. I bought it in part because of the 3D capabilities, but it was really kind of dissapointing how little of improvement there appeared to be over the HS201. I was really glad I found another reason to return it for a full refund, put it that way.

I just bought a lamp projector, but if I were going to stick to LEDs, I would keep the HS201 for a while longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 935 Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks Alot, I've been following since the LG HS 101 and the rave reviews it got from shocked people from way back then. I just got the K330 from Newegg, the 2 Year Manufacture Warranty compared to the others 1-year is nice, on top of Newegg's 30 day "Iron Egg Replacement Warranty"

I had an old Sharp XG-NV2U 3LCD with 500 Lumen / 200:1 contrast / 800x600 res and I was Blown Away be that relic. 4:3 image @ 150" diag., HALO 1 was fun with S-Video!. I can't wait to get this new LED model. I'm going to do 142" Diag, 10 feet Wide, 6 Feet Tall, 16:10 Aspect Ratio on a Da-Lite Screen, And I don't Care What You SAY!!!!!! If my old machine did it I'm sure this one will too. Beauty in the Eye of the Beholder, Right?

I don't really have any HDMI or HD content at all. I do have an old Xbox 1 running XBMC And I just got this Component to VGA cable. I hope everything Syncs-on-Green and works out (720p and 1080i). I guess I'l also be in the market for a cheap PS3 (bluray).

My PC is an old piece of crap Pentium 4 2.8ghz, I do have Comcast local TV free from the Wall that I know gets Local HD signals un scrambled. Are there any Stand Alone Clear Qwam / Atsc tunners that I should get?? Or just invest in a New PC Media Center for the DVR / 3d function.?? Think Cheap...
post #453 of 935 Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks a Lot Paul Much Appreaciated!!
post #454 of 935 Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Liked: 13
I've been looking for a QAM tuner for my projector and I ran across this. The only one I've seen without building a HTPC.

http://www.amazon.com/ePVision-PHD-2...3729371&sr=8-1
post #455 of 935 Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM

I've had the Acer K330 for a day now and I believe I put it through its paces enough to form an opinion. Its maiden voyage consisted of screening Lawrence of Arabia and parts of Baraka. I was blown away. Since the movie's format is very wide, exceeding 2 to 1, I managed to fit the image on an 8' x 4' white coroplast panel. I routed the sound through an old stereo system and placed speakers on either side of the panel. I had my very own mini theater. My only discomfort was that I was projecting from the back so I had to sit slightly to the right or left in order to allow the beam to pass. The K330 is my second projector, the first being the smaller K11 which I've used for the last year and a bit. I don't have a lot of experience in this field which is why I probably am more easily impressed than others.

Some observations:
- Projection distance: when compared to the older K11 this one has a much much shorter throw distance. This is indeed wonderful news.
- Color: there seems to be a slight tendency towards reds when the image is compared to my notebook's IPS display. I found that when switching over to the game preset the colors are slightly more tame. What settings do you use?
- Noise: when using the eco mode the projector becomes half as loud while sacrificing very little in my opinion of its brightness.
- Geometry: I found it very difficult to get a straight picture because even the slightest misalignment would result in a noticeable slant. I was also confused as to the keystone feature. I left it on automatic. Any other problems if any would've been unnoticeable because really nothing was perfectly straight to begin with.
- Transporting: right off the bat I did not like the included pouch, but welcomed its presence in the box. I am now using an older pouch I had leftover from a netbook.
- Lens cover: I am somewhat worried about this because whenever I reattach it at the end of the session I feel as if I have to push against the lens with higher than needed force.I feel that slightly moving under my pressure.
- Power: I am thrilled that I no longer have to carry a notebook style power adapter since the K330 has everything built in.
- Tripod: I've tried three different tripods that I had and none seem appropriate. Either too small and unstable or the projector does not sit flat on the tripod's attachment. I must admit that I do feel more comfortable just putting it down on some box, just in case of a bump in the dark.
- Brightness: I am ecstatic that I can use this projector with the lights on, naturally not for watching a movie but for general computer use, which the native resolution of this projector allows very nicely for.
- Focusing: I find that focusing is a bit more difficult than on my previous projector. The ring (lip) seems narrower, which makes it harder to grip, and the action seems to be tighter/tenser.
- Miscellaneous: the K330 seems to generate a lot less of that seemingly random light around the projected image. All I see is a slight gray border of an inch or two around the image when the projection is 8 foot wide.

I'm glad I found you guys talking about this so we can help each other if need be. Cheers.
post #456 of 935 Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good observations, Kami. Thanks.
post #457 of 935 Old 12-17-2011, 04:19 AM

Great review Kami2 simple/Practical.
I am waiting for my K330 PJ its in Chicago, and may reach Hyderabad India by end of the month.

I have seen my colleague's K330, and was impressed.

I am getting my HT room ready.
  1. Installed wall mount Wooden plank with Drop lights
  2. Installed HTPC with AsusM3A78-EM AMD Phenom II X4, Dlink W125 WIFI Dongle, Win XP, Myth Buntu, ElementOS, and testing further (Any advice here will be highly appreciated.
  3. Setup Onkyo HTS 580 to run on optical out from HTPC
  4. Planning carpet flooring
  5. Planning for Yamaha Floor standings, but 10'X11' is too small for floor standings (Please advice)
  6. Planning to get the wall painted with White Satin Paint

I am eagerly waiting for my K330.
post #458 of 935 Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
2 things have held me off from buying one of these clone projectors, one is car problems, and the other is I already have the LG HX300 and not sure if the upgrade to a Acer or Viewsonic LED projector would be noticeable.
It's almost CES time any way so I might as well wait and see what's new and hopefully that they finally come out with a 1080P DLP 700 Lumens ? 800 ? projector with built in processor for 3D.
Even if I do buy one of these current clone projectors would still have to buy a processor box to view it on these clone LED projectors.
post #459 of 935 Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

2 things have held me off from buying one of these clone projectors, one is car problems, and the other is I already have the LG HX300 and not sure if the upgrade to a Acer or Viewsonic LED projector would be noticeable.
It's almost CES time any way so I might as well wait and see what's new and hopefully that they finally come out with a 1080P DLP 700 Lumens ? 800 ? projector with built in processor for 3D.
Even if I do buy one of these current clone projectors would still have to buy a processor box to view it on these clone LED projectors.

Lawl. Nice dreams you have there.

Maybe in the next 2 years. =) None of the big companies would make such a big jump when they can slowly milk the industry for money and provide incremental upgrades over the years.
post #460 of 935 Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, I have seen a hs201 and the ml500 I have will blow it out of the water ,if we are talking the k330 for example,800 x 600 = 480000 to 1140 x 912 = 1039680 res ,twice the contrast and lumens. same goes for the 1024x768 led pjs(i have one the m2).This chip (1140 x 912)gives the hd look only more pixels can give you.

(fifth element)
post #461 of 935 Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I takes big money to get 700 to 800 lumens out of 1080p led and they arnt small pjs
21 1080p led pjs
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15
the lightest one is 27 lbs I think looking real quick.

(fifth element)
post #462 of 935 Old 12-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Anyone uses a 3d feature?
post #463 of 935 Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

projector with built in processor for 3D.

Actually, most new DLP projectors are DLP-Link 3D ready. That means you can buy any DLP-link compatible pair of 3D glasses and it will work with these projectors.
700 lumen 1080p LED beamers sound reasonable, although I assume they'll come at a much higher cost.

Oh, and hi everybody. I just signed up here. I ordered my K330 this weekend after some very thorough research (which brought me here in the first place). It's my first projector, and I'm going to use it in my budget home theatre.
Make no mistake though, just because it's _my_ first projector doesn't mean I don't have much experience with them. ;-)
As soon as I receive my projector I'll post here with my findings. I'm especially curious as to how well 1080p downscales to the native diamond pixel layout. I've read it scales better than usual downscaling from 1080p to 720p.
post #464 of 935 Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogarine View Post

Actually, most new DLP projectors are DLP-Link 3D ready. That means you can buy any DLP-link compatible pair of 3D glasses and it will work with these projectors.

And then do what with it? Connect it to a computer and output low-res 4:3 HD, because that's all the projector does. IF you can't hook it straight up to standard peripherals and get 720p 3D it shouldn't be labelled as 3D at all. It's just a scam, much like the "HD Ready" or USB 2 nonsense.

Also, I do agree with the people who have commented on the border the projector outputs (heck, it floods light everywhere). It's not really acceptable unless you have a screen without a black frame. It's very distracting, especially if you use keystoning.
post #465 of 935 Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM

I have a problem finding in the menu the saturation, sharpness and tint options... how can I enter them, and in which mode ?

Also anyone already found optimal settings in service menu ?
post #466 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

And then do what with it? Connect it to a computer and output low-res 4:3 HD, because that's all the projector does. IF you can't hook it straight up to standard peripherals and get 720p 3D it shouldn't be labelled as 3D at all. It's just a scam, much like the "HD Ready" or USB 2 nonsense.

Also, I do agree with the people who have commented on the border the projector outputs (heck, it floods light everywhere). It's not really acceptable unless you have a screen without a black frame. It's very distracting, especially if you use keystoning.

I believe I read somewhere the K330 uses wobulation to compensate for the lower resolution. (Sort of like interlacing compensates for the lower resolution of CRT displays.) It still isn't proper HD, but if that is true, it helps.

Funny you mention keystoning by the way. Do you use keystoning? If so, it,s kinda weird you complain about the resolution being lower with DLP link mode on, yet it doesn't even mater that much when keystoning is already eating up a big part of your horizontal resolution anyway.

My projector should arrive today, I'll be able to test it out tomorrow night.
post #467 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

so much talk of wobulation Its now legend.....no only one chip from TI is licensed to wobble afaik 960 to 1920 to get a 1080p chip.

Hewlett-Packard, RCA, Samsung, and Toshiba are all gone and now only mits is using it.

the new eshift jvc is type of wobble afaik.

(fifth element)
post #468 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

I believe I read somewhere the K330 uses wobulation to compensate for the lower resolution. (Sort of like interlacing compensates for the lower resolution of CRT displays.) It still isn't proper HD, but if that is true, it helps.

It does not use "wobulation," but I think you misunderstood. I am not talking about the internal native resolution of the DLP chip, I am talking about the resolution of the projector. It only supports 3D in 800x600 4:3 over VGA. I have no idea what the actual intended use of it is other than as a scammy marketing gimmick. You won't be hooking your 3D Blu-Ray player up to it.

Quote:

Funny you mention keystoning by the way. Do you use keystoning?

No, I don't. I just said that if you use keystone it becomes really annoying. A square gray frame is one thing, but a trapezoid is very distracting. at 110" it's well over an inch without keystoning. The light leaking below the image (as discussed before) I guess about 20 inches.
post #469 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Its 1024x768 @120hz i think you mean.

(fifth element)
post #470 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the correction. Yes, it's 1024x768.
post #471 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Now I'm All confused again. I thought the Native res. was 1280x800 And the "real" resolution is a bit higher. Your saying it will only play 3d in 1024x768 @120hz max ??

Isn't there any hope that its all a software problem that a simple firmware update/hack can fix? Like how the Viewsonic PLed 500 can play .h264 files off a SD card/usb drive and our Acer's can't. They have the same "engine" just different cars / shells... Can I get a definitive NO you will never hook up a PS3 via HDMI and get 3D..? Is it an HDMI ver. 1.4 issue, HDCP, etc?

I wish someone would start a WIKI or two with all the Clones , Qumi & LG info consolidated. Phat Light, UNITE !

Here is one for the 300 lum Qumi. I think there is one more, but can't find it_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitek_Qumi
post #472 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

1140x912 is native for this chip(lower)-the pled500 is said to do 720p@120hz (hackable?)and these are 3d ready,needs a coverter box or pc or maybe bluray player ,I thought there was at least 1 that out put the right format.

(fifth element)
post #473 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

its PhlatLight,you can see why
http://www.luminus.com/products/color.html
I think most think of some array of small leds

(fifth element)
post #474 of 935 Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

1140x912 is native for this chip(lower)-the pled500 is said to do 720p@120hz (hackable?)and these are 3d ready,needs a coverter box or pc or maybe bluray player ,I thought there was at least 1 that out put the right format.

Well, it hasn't been confirmed that the Viewsonic PLED-W500 is actually doing 720p @120hz. Both 3DNewb and jumbi555 were unable to get the Optoma 3DXL (which outputs 720p) to sync with the Viewsonic. However, for some reason, the Viewsonic VP3D1 does sync to the Viewsonic PLED-W500, and the PLED-W500 shows 720p @ 120hz as the input.

There is some speculation that maybe the VP3D1 is only outputting 1024x768 @ 120hz over hdmi, and the Viewsonic PLED-W500 is automatically scaling this and showing 720p as the input. Or maybe the Viewsonic and other clones will accept a very specific 720p @ 120hz timing, which the VP3D1 outputs.

jumbi555 has said he will connect a pc directly to the Viewsonic PLED-W500 and output 720p @ 120hz to see if it syncs. We are still awaiting his results.
post #475 of 935 Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeimpala View Post

I wish someone would start a WIKI or two with all the Clones , Qumi & LG info consolidated. Phat Light, UNITE ! Here is one for the 300 lum Qumi. I think there is one more, but can't find it_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitek_Qumi

The reason I created Qumi Article, because it is a huge steps in projector technology. Perhaps if we have more information, then we can create clones article, but this time there is nothing important steps in clones comparing Qumi.
post #476 of 935 Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:

It does not use "wobulation," but I think you misunderstood. I am not talking about the internal native resolution of the DLP chip, I am talking about the resolution of the projector. It only supports 3D in 800x600 4:3 over VGA. I have no idea what the actual intended use of it is other than as a scammy marketing gimmick. You won't be hooking your 3D Blu-Ray player up to it.

Thanks for the explanation. So there is no way to play back 3D over HDMI? Well, good thing I didn't intend to watch 3D on it anyway.

Quote:

No, I don't. I just said that if you use keystone it becomes really annoying. A square gray frame is one thing, but a trapezoid is very distracting. at 110" it's well over an inch without keystoning. The light leaking below the image (as discussed before) I guess about 20 inches.

Yes, I received and tried out my projector yesterday and it is noticeable indeed. It doesn't distract from the actual movie viewing though. I think it will be less noticeable when I get my projector screen.

Besides that I'm quite satisfied with the image quality. There is some chromatic aberration but it's hardly noticeable at a distance (at least with the size of my screen, about 75"). Brightness is sufficient for "usual" TV (news, etc) during the day. At night with the lights off I actually put it on eco mode because I felt it was too bright. :-P
post #477 of 935 Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well as they say " never say never " but, your right, milking the golden cow to get more money out of people.
Still ? it's nice to wonder what some of the companies will bring to CES next month.
I can wait.
One thing the projector companies have to start to worry about is that TVs are coming down in price and starting to compete with the projectors.
What do you think about the companies drive for portability ? that's all I see with these projectors, they tout the virtues of portability, and yes, I know, they are data projectors.
However ? most of us set it up locate it in a spot and leave it along unless there is a problem with the projector.
I can live with a projector the size of the old Infocus X2 , and yes, I have one, and it's still in almost new condition with less than 300 hours on it.
post #478 of 935 Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Besides that I'm quite satisfied with the image quality. There is some chromatic aberration but it's hardly noticeable at a distance (at least with the size of my screen, about 75"). Brightness is sufficient for "usual" TV (news, etc) during the day. At night with the lights off I actually put it on eco mode because I felt it was too bright. :-P

I feel the same way Yogarine, Chromatic Aberration only becomes "noticeable" when your like a ~foot from the screen. I'm projecting on a 10 foot wide, 6 foot tall , 142" diagonal 16:10 da-lite, And it's amazing ! At night I'll put it into Eco mode sometimes, just because it's too much and starts to strain my eyes.

The Fan noise really isn't a problem at all, on par with a desktop.

I do get some Light Leak on the Bottom and Right sides, but I can Live with it. If you go back in this thread a user posted pics of his Light Leak, Now that was pretty Bad.
Its amazing how much of the lens you can cover up before it cuts into the image.

Overall , I'm Very Happy with my new Acer K330!! Can't wait to see what the future holds for this Tech.

Now Lets get confirmation about the cheap USB Wifi Dongle working or not and fix the .h264 playback on USB/SD cards, Please.
post #479 of 935 Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dude, go ahead and order a dongle to test the theory. I linked a generic unit earlier in the thread. Honestly, if I had this PJ, I would have spent the couple of bucks by now to try it out.
post #480 of 935 Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 AM

I don't know if the dongle is going to be usable for video. I can't even play back HD video over USB, so I don't think the wifi will fare much better.

As for buying a generic USB stick with the same controller, I don't know, maybe it will recognize it, maybe not.

How are you going to get the software though to actually do anything with it though? I think that ships with the Acer dongle, unless it's also contained on a network share on the projector (seems less likely).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector , Projectors , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - K330 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page