Forum Jump: 
post #511 of 940 Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

I have not tried painted wall or material just yet, maybe try what you tried buy use a white based foam board.
I read on some of the DIY screen threads that some people have even used spandex ? can anyone confirm that ? and how well did it work ?

We used BOC but my Son said Dadd its got holes in it so then we used heavy cotton cloth material thats used for sweatpants for a good image/contrast DIY screen at 160 inches in a dark room so everyone is happy.

DIY beats store purchased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzakis View Post

I would like to thank naveenez2c for his findings.

Hi Ritzakis,
I am Glad you liked my post.

Quote:

Naveenez2c, if you do more wifi tests, i would be obliged if you shared the results with us.

I am currently holding off buying the pj, till i find if wireless connectivity is feasible and reliable for at least 12Mbps video, so as to plan the cable routing or not.

Considering my previous tests, if Laptop/Desktop supports WIFI N with 150 MBPS N adapter connected to PJ, 12MBPS shouldn't be a big deal.

Please mention resolution and format you want me to test, so that I will confirm your requirement again.

Now that I got my projector delivered, I have started tests with it.
Tested connecting STB (TATA SKy) with HDMI, Content is very good with some dull lighting.

I am on my tests with WIFI, and will surely update my findings.

As per what we have tested on my friends Acer K330 PJ using Dlink DWA 125. We were able to run 720 P smoothly.

My next test is to install 2 N dongles (One for PJ, the other for my HTPC), and try 1080P. Our search is to make 300MBPS Dongle work with PJ.

This time, I am going to upload better pictures.

Regards,
Naveen.KK
post #513 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM

naveenez2c, your best bet for 300Mbps adaptors would be those who use the ralink 3072 chipset as it uses the same linux driver that 3070 uses. I've scoured newegg/amazon for adaptors under 25$ and i found the following are using said chipset:

Rosewill RNX-N250UB
Cisco Valet AM10 (has drivers on flash, maybe it will cause problems?)
ASUS USB-N13
EnGenius EUB9706
LevelOne WUA-0616

I used the wikidevi site to find the chipset, it lists many usb wifi devices and what chipset they are using.

Next week, i will have my unit and i will probably test the asus one, since it is the only available in my country.

I am also waiting on an offer/availability for a 100" white laminate piece for the DYI screen. Let's hope that it will be bright enough. If it follows through, i might post some pics of the whole assembly at the screen forum.

Eagerly awaiting the 1080p tests.
post #514 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Or you could try this (and if you fancy black) or this. Finally, if you like Buy.com, here's one of theirs though I don't like the exorbitant shipping cost for such a tiny thing.

Good call on the RT3072 driver being compatible with RT3070. Also note that the PJ supports the RT2870 chipset, as well.
post #515 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Finally received my mustage 92" inch screen and 25' foot hdmi cable. Mounted projector on ceiling. Projected image looks very good with regular dvd just a little soft. Have not had the chance to tyr bluray. Downloaded update to my old Samsung bluray and now it only plays regular dvd not bluray. Colors are good just not quit as bright as my sanyo z1, but it less noisy. plus no pixels
post #516 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu0281 View Post

Finally received my mustage 92" inch screen and 25' foot hdmi cable. Mounted projector on ceiling. Projected image looks very good with regular dvd just a little soft. Have not had the chance to tyr bluray. Downloaded update to my old Samsung bluray and now it only plays regular dvd not bluray. Colors are good just not quit as bright as my sanyo z1, but it less noisy. plus no pixels

Congrats mate. Can you tell me please, when projecting 16:9 content, are the top/bottom black bars very apparent under dim conditions? I was contemplating whether to go for 16:10 or 16:9 screen and make the masking a bit larger.
post #517 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM

I have a two inch bar at top none at bottomwhen watching tv. When watching movies about 5 inchs top and bottom. Projector is not loud at all. Dark gray bars dont bother me.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #518 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Liked: 11
My K330 and Epson Duet 80" portable screen were delivered today and I've spent a couple hours trying it all out. I'm very impressed...nice bright vivid image and the fan noise that others have found objectionable isn't noticeable at all when you're watching something with sound. Even with no other sound, it's not anything that bothers me, and I was sitting two feet behind and to one side of the projector.

So far, I haven't found anything that disappoints me with the Acer.
post #519 of 940 Old 12-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Can someone from experience say which one is better between the Vivitek Qumi Q2 and the Acer k330. I know the Qumi has less lumens, but supposedly from reading all the forums, the Qumi has more saturated colors. SOmeone please explain your thoughts.

Thank you..
post #520 of 940 Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 AM

Hi,
Finally, I have installed PJ under my couch along with my HTPC (connected through VGA/D Sub), Onkyo Receiver (connected through Optical Out).

Connected it with a Handy Wireless Keyboard/Mouse with back light, and Laser.

Have seen 1080P, 720P, they are awesome.

I watched my favorite Jurassic Park ( This is the movie which amazed me in Dolby Theater those days). Picture quality is amazing, but windows explorer, Files list make me realize about Diamond Pixels, what others have discussed.

As I have Onkyo 5.1 connected with HTPC (through Optical out). Now I feel the need for Speakers upgrade. Fan noise under my couch/ For me its not there at all. May be my HTPC hums more than PJ.

Wifi is one outstanding thing which I need to test completely, I will consider the list mentioned above.

Otherwise, this PJ has exceeded our expectations being 500 Lumen.

Regards,
Naveen.KK
post #521 of 940 Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Is that a bought projector mount or a home made mount ?
The problem I have is that I would have to mount mine on the floor joist with people above walking around.
post #522 of 940 Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:

If you go to viewsonic's website and look at the users guide on page 20 on line 16 is says optical zoom, unless that's a misprint ?
On line 16 on page 20 it says , Magnifies or reduces the projected picture size .
On page 22 of Viewsonic's website on page 22 where it says screen, it says " digital zoom ".
Is that some sort of zoom or is that a misprint ?
Can it be called in the realm of any kind of zoom ?
If so can or would it help those who have room limitations ?

The manual is wrong. It has no optical zoom. It doesn't really have digital zoom either, unless you want to count the aspect ratio and over-/underscan options. Digital zoom isn't relevant on a projector anyway since it can't make the image bigger than the optics allow, only smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post

Henry: Yes, RDP sucked for video until R2/7 but my point was that it is doable. To be fair, I am not quite sure how it is all put together (and I am in IT) so you may know more at this point than I do.

Ritzakis: I have only linked to a cheap RT3070-based dongle at Amazon twice, I know it isn't enough but please go back a page and you will find the post.

Like I said, RDP cheats. When you play video it transmits two things separately. One is the desktop image using the standard RDP protocol, the second is the video file itself (the server does nothing with this, it just transfers the actual file.) The client then displays the RDP image normally but also launches a local media player which decodes the received file and plays it on top of the RDP image so that it looks seamless. Ignoring the fact that the projector won't be using RDP or any other proprietary and highly patent-protected Microsoft technology, this kind of technology is way beyond what a projector like this is going to implement.

Quote:

Now to find a good N dongle with RT3070 that doesn't cost a fortune (see acer's own dongle). I was wondering if i would be able to stream ~12Mbps video through the wireless module but after some searching, i don't think it will be feasible with 150 draft N.

Why wouldn't you be able to stream 12 Mbps over a 150 Mbps network? Do you mean 12 MB/s?

It doesn't actually matter though, since you aren't transferring the video file itself. Your computer does all the decoding of the file and then transfers the decoded image frame by frame using a custom compression scheme and protocol. How many frames per second this protocol can transmit at your chosen resolution and how much the compression reduces the quality is the only thing that matters. If it can transmit say 60 frames per second at 1280x800 it doesn't matter what the bitrate of the video file is. It will play fine regardless of whether it's 50 kbps or 500 Mbps.

The biggest issue then though would be how lossy the compression is (lossy means it throws away data to save bandwidth.) If it uses lossy compression instead of transmitting the image unmodified then HDMI will always look better.

I'm going to try to get my hands on one of these dongles as well. It would be neat if it works well. Shame that it has to be peer-to-peer though. You'd need two network cards to use the projector and network/internet at the same time. Unless you have a working Windows 7 virtual WiFi setup, I guess. Thanks naveenez2c.
post #523 of 940 Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

Why wouldn't you be able to stream 12 Mbps over a 150 Mbps network? Do you mean 12 MB/s?

It doesn't actually matter though, since you aren't transferring the video file itself. Your computer does all the decoding of the file and then transfers the decoded image frame by frame using a custom compression scheme and protocol. How many frames per second this protocol can transmit at your chosen resolution and how much the compression reduces the quality is the only thing that matters. If it can transmit say 60 frames per second at 1280x800 it doesn't matter what the bitrate of the video file is. It will play fine regardless of whether it's 50 kbps or 500 Mbps.

The biggest issue then though would be how lossy the compression is (lossy means it throws away data to save bandwidth.) If it uses lossy compression instead of transmitting the image unmodified then HDMI will always look better.

I'm going to try to get my hands on one of these dongles as well. It would be neat if it works well. Shame that it has to be peer-to-peer though. You'd need two network cards to use the projector and network/internet at the same time. Unless you have a working Windows 7 virtual WiFi setup, I guess. Thanks naveenez2c.

Νο, i mean 12 megabits per second. Depending on the hardware / other wifi networks, even at "150Mbps" speeds i might have a problem. 150Mbps half duplex = 75Mbps max attainable, insert distance/interferences/overhead, i would be lucky to have 50Mbps real speeds. For one device. Connect another device to the wifi, speeds cut in half etc.

What do you mean by peer to peer?Adhoc? The dongle that naveenez2c used doesn't support Ad-hoc (that's what the manual says). My wifi knowledge is a bit rusty, so if you would possibly care to explain what would be needed to make the projector work wirelessly. I was ready to buy an N usb dongle + N router (my current hardware is g), would i be needing 2 dongles?
post #524 of 940 Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 PM

I picked up a Dlink DWA-125 in order to try the wireless connection with my K330. It is recognized immediately by the K330 and I'm able to log in from my laptop. My problem is finding the acer eprojection management software that is required. Unless I'm blind, it's nowhere to be found on either of the installation CD's that came with the projector and I can't find it on the Acer support site. Where do you get it?
post #525 of 940 Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM

I have had my Oppo Blu Ray player hooked to the K330 with an HDMI cable today, and have watched several visually demanding movies. All I can say is wow. My normal monitor is a 61 inch Samsung DLP LED set from 2007, and this projector is every bit as sharp and clear.

I'm watching it on an 80 inch 16:9 screen and have the projector set to fill it. An 80 inch image has lots more real estate than a 61 inch one does. Very impressive.

The room I have it in has easy light control with indirect lighting on dimmers. Obviously , the picture looks best in subdued lighting, but it's fine in daylight as well. I have it on the standard brightness setting.

I have a need for the projector for a short while as a portable device, but eventually I plan to ceiling mount it and install a drop down screen in the room of a larger size...maybe as big as 100 inches. The screen will drop down in front of the 61 inch Samsung when I want a really large picture.
post #526 of 940 Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 AM

Happy New Year to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I picked up a Dlink DWA-125 in order to try the wireless connection with my K330. It is recognized immediately by the K330 and I'm able to log in from my laptop. My problem is finding the acer eprojection management software that is required. Unless I'm blind, it's nowhere to be found on either of the installation CD's that came with the projector and I can't find it on the Acer support site. Where do you get it?

strindl, Before you try WIFI through laptop, upgrade your PJ's Firmware.

I have tested WIFI in a better way.
Tried to connect my friends Dell XPS Laptop. It has N enabled Wifi reciever, Nvdia 3d enabled Graphics, etc....

Wifi Stream has 2 modes ( I dont remember their names).
one for fast moving images with low quality, and the other Fine quality only for still images.

This speaks a lot.
No matter its 1080P or 720P, WIFI stream for moving images will reduce quality of image, so I wont be happy using it.

Fine quality mode wont be able to stream any motion.

I quit my idea of streaming through WIFI, no matter its 300 MBPS/150 MBPS.

Thats not going to be any comparable to VGA/HDMI.

May be in future upgrades, it may play contents from Network shared drives, that might help.

In regards to 3D, I am awaiting to borrow 3D DLP glasses from my friends to feel it, before I go ahead and buy.

As per what I feel, even that may not impress us much. I learnt some restrictions in this forum like "Run only on VGA", only 800X600 Resolution etc....

I am not sure till I try it.
post #527 of 940 Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:

Is that a bought projector mount or a home made mount ?

Assuming the question pointed to me:
No, there is no mount at all.

Under my couch, its all hallow. and I just placed it on floor, and an wooden board to adjust height, and angle.

I am planning a glass rack to place it at the center of the wall, so that there is very minimal key-stoning.
post #528 of 940 Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenez2c View Post

Happy New Year to all.

strindl, Before you try WIFI through laptop, upgrade your PJ's Firmware.

The latest firmware I see for the K330 on the Acer site is listed as version 1.0.

1.0 would seem to be the very first version, just based on the numeral. Is a newer one available somewhere else?
post #529 of 940 Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agreed, it seems pointless to use the WiFi feature on the PJ to stream video from everything we have seen. It's so crippled that I am not sure why Acer even bothered to to include it. I would have just preferred a built-in DLNA client or something to that effect and it would have sufficed for most needs.

Folks are better off using a real 'wireless HDMI' solution. They aren't perfect (yet) but they are getting there.
post #530 of 940 Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:

The latest firmware I see for the K330 on the Acer site is listed as version 1.0.

1.0 would seem to be the very first version, just based on the numeral. Is a newer one available somewhere else?

Strindl,
Firmware which is in website for download is an upgrade of what PJ has got in it by default.

Regards,
Naveen.KK
post #531 of 940 Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Anyone else have audio out issues? The sound only comes out of one speaker. This is true for my original and replacement unit. Just wondering if this is a widespread problem...
post #532 of 940 Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Well, I've been following this thread and a bunch of other ones for LED projectors for a week or so, and ordered the Acer K330 from Tiger Direct through Amazon, before they went out of stock again...which they did this morning.

My second choice would have been the LG, either the HX350T or the HW300G. The HW300G doesn't seem to be available from a US vender yet, and I had some reservations about the 350T having a slightly lower resolution. So..the Acer it is.

My uses for this will normally be as a portable device for presentations in a political campaign over the next year. I'm sure I'll play around with it at home for movies as well though. My normal device for movies at home is a 61" Samsung DLP LED rear projection set which I have had since 2007 and been totally happy with.

u are lucky to get one i was waiting to order and its gone.now its nowhere to be found.i don't know when they going to restock.
post #533 of 940 Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 PM

I'm using home made mount, iron pipe like what is used for railing. 4"*6" inch sheet of perforated metal. I mainly watch sports in hi-def and movies I burn. If I were going to use a pc I would have to have one with optical output. My blu-ray won't play BD's so I watch everything else on it. I miss Dolby True beats Dolby Digital by a mile. Picture is very good on 92" inch screen just not as sharp as my old sanyo z1, better contrast. I can actually see whats going on in dark sceens now. No gray cloud. No pixels. Great colors.
post #534 of 940 Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punguy View Post

its nowhere to be found.i don't know when they going to restock.

**COUGH**New**COUGH**egg**

post #535 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fresnel View Post

**COUGH**New**COUGH**egg**

thanks although it was 499 on tigerdirect.com. do they do price match?
post #536 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Does anyone have a link to a projection throw calculator for the Acer K330? I'm ready to splurge on this baby now but I'll need to know how the image will work out for the room.

Can anyone at least tell me what screen size they're getting and at what distance?
post #537 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonyX7 View Post

Does anyone have a link to a projection throw calculator for the Acer K330? I'm ready to splurge on this baby now but I'll need to know how the image will work out for the room.

Can anyone at least tell me what screen size they're getting and at what distance?

Choose the model from the drop down list

http://www.acer.us/ac/en/US/content/...ion-calculator

It is limited to 80" though, so it might not be really helpful.
post #538 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM

No 3d yet?
post #539 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 PM

New firmware out 2 days ago, can someone explain how to install it on the projector, and if someone will install it, can someone explain the difference of this firmware to the previous stock firmware. Thanks..
post #540 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM

this application was also just released on 1/2/12, does anyone know what this is and how to install it into the projector. thanks..
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector , Projectors , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - K330 by PriceGrabber.com