Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzakis View Post

Choose the model from the drop down list

http://www.acer.us/ac/en/US/content/...ion-calculator

It is limited to 80" though, so it might not be really helpful.

Thank you! Finally found a bloody projection calculator for this.

Seems to be approximately 10 inches of image diagonally for every feet of throw distance. 10 feet should be around 100 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 940 Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Can the wifi be done through a mac or is it only windows compatible ?
post #543 of 940 Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 AM

Hello guys im new to this forum, but i was one of the many non-user reader for years!!

After reading this entire thread and some other led projector thread, i choose to order the K330 (550 can$ on newgegg.ca), it will be my first projector, and in fact, my first display i bought since a 18'' black and white tv i had when i was young! (Beside computer monitor). I often travel around the wolrd and a big TV / lamp projector wasnt an option for me in the past.

My English is so so sincefrench is my native language but as soon as i receive my projector (likely next week) i will gladly give you my impression and answer your question.. its time for me to give back to the wonderful AVS community.

My first newbies question: i already have a 100 inch 30$ DIY projection screen using blackout cloth. How much does it worth to invest in a greater quality screen? The room i will for this screen have almost no daylight.

(i tested the casio led/laser XJ-m140 projector 2 week ago 700 can$ at Staples store), i decided to return it because the acer is cheaper, more resolution, lighter and i dont care about the lumen that much, i was using the casio always in eco mode to diminish the noise.
post #544 of 940 Old 01-06-2012, 05:56 PM

So i bought the DWA 125 and i got it to work with the projector and my Macbook. But when i connect the PJ to the macbook, i am using the wifi name "acerprojector", and so i do not have anymore access to my wifi to use the internet through the router. Does anyone know if i can use my internet while at the same time being connected wifi to the PJ.
post #545 of 940 Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by axphilipxa View Post

So i bought the DWA 125 and i got it to work with the projector and my Macbook. But when i connect the PJ to the macbook, i am using the wifi name "acerprojector", and so i do not have anymore access to my wifi to use the internet through the router. Does anyone know if i can use my internet while at the same time being connected wifi to the PJ.

You would have to have a second wi fi adapter hooked to your laptop. That way you could connect to two different wi fi networks. The projector on one, your internet wi fi on the other.
post #546 of 940 Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:

When you use wifi for acer k330... can windows 7 detect it as a monitor, so you can play game and dvd and use as a computer monitor?

Or the Wifi USB give you only access to your computer hard drive so you can play divx, mkv throught acer internet media player?
post #547 of 940 Old 01-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post

Good call on the RT3072 driver being compatible with RT3070. Also note that the PJ supports the RT2870 chipset, as well.

It does not support the RT2870.

Not that it matters much since the wireless is useless for anything other than PowerPoint presentations, as pointed out.
post #548 of 940 Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

It does not support the RT2870.

Not that it matters much since the wireless is useless for anything other than PowerPoint presentations, as pointed out.

You know this for sure? I was basing this on the info extracted earlier in the thread.
post #549 of 940 Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 AM

The wifi i think is stupid as it has no use , the movie streaming is not that good in quality.
post #550 of 940 Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post

You know this for sure? I was basing this on the info extracted earlier in the thread.

I have an RT2870 (Zyxel) and while the instruction screen shows up when I plug it in, the projector never shows up on any of the computers or phones I've tried. I don't know if that's conclusive evidence, but until I see someone else with it working I'm going to assume it's not supported.
post #551 of 940 Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM

I bought the DWA 125 D-link and i plugged it into the PJ and then it automatically found the "acerprojector" in my wifi , so then i connected, and it was that easy. Very easy to use.
I bought the adapter in officemax, i found it only for like $20 and printed out an ad from a store and officemax price matched it and so i got a good price. So anyone can do that as well.
But i think that it is useless to use the PJ with this chip because you can not really do anything with it. If you are playing movies, it isn't that good quality at all.

Can someone tell me what is the best configuration for the Acer K330 projector in terms of best picture quality and colors. WHat should i set it up to. As for the focus, i can't seem to ever get the best image focus.
post #552 of 940 Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 AM

There's no setting that works best for everyone. Connect it via HDMI, use the native resolution (1280x800), disable keystone, choose an image size that gives the most comfortable brightness (not too bright, not too dark), use a dedicated screen. Set it up so the image looks good to you. Make sure you can see all the shades of gray and that the image isn't oversaturated.

As for the focus, it's not hard to set. Hit the menu key and then change the focus until the menu text is crisp. If it never is then either your projector is broken or you have too high expectations. It is a low-end projector.
post #553 of 940 Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM

thanks for the info, i think my expectations are very high, but i definitely think that this is a good pj. I just had the vivitek qumi and i think the acer k330 is definitely better all around.

As for other people, i am wondering if the optoma ml500 is better then the acer k330, if someone has tried them both, please give your impressions of which one is better.
post #554 of 940 Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the info, i think my expectations are very high, but i definitely think that this is a good pj. I just had the vivitek qumi and i think the acer k330 is definitely better all around.

As for other people, i am wondering if the optoma ml500 is better then the acer k330, if someone has tried them both, please give your impressions of which one is better.

the 4 500 lumen pjs are made buy one company and are slightly different.

(fifth element)
post #555 of 940 Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM

ok thanks, but please explain how each of them are different
post #556 of 940 Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

They have different I/O port setups and presets are slightly different,the acer was dimmest and the optoma was brightest ,ect.there is a clones thread .
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1343793

(fifth element)
post #557 of 940 Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
tqn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

DLP projectors are inherently lag free, even these diamond pixel PJs with their rescaling/processing of the signal. They are very very responsive.

At 100 inches in a dark basement, you'll be more than ok. Even in a semi-light room, although the colors wash depending on the location of the light source.

You'll love it for 2D gaming via the PS3, Xbox, Wii or a PC. 3D is another story, as the Acer K330 may not be compatible with the 3D-XL or VP3D1 converters. The Playstation and Xbox output 3D formats that can not be displayed by this projector, unless converted first.

Are there any actual input lag numbers for the K330? Perhaps someone who has a K330 would be willing to run an input lag test, which basically involves running a timer on a computer, cloning the comp output with one output going to the K330 and the other output going to a CRT or LCD monitor with known input lag.

I've owned and measured a Mitsubishi HD1000 DLP for input lag and it was around 48ms (3 frames), which was a little too slow for my liking.
post #558 of 940 Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 AM

Liked: 13
I returned my LG HW300T yesterday, how does the ACER compare other than the increased brightness? the LG wouldn't display the proper aspect ratio, but I loved it otherwise, thanks
post #559 of 940 Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM

I've been reading your posts for quite a while and now I decided to make a bit of noise. This afternoon my K330 went faulty, the boot up takes a lot longer and the HDMI port is dead. I bought the projector two months ago from Amazon.de
I contacted Acer here in South Africa and they told me that unlike the laptops, the projectors do not come with international warranty and if I want it repaired by them they will charge me for the repairs. Next thing I contacted Amazon.de asking about the procedures to be followed for sending the projector for repairs, obviously apologising for using English (when I ordered the projector I used Google translate), they answered my query in English in no time (less than 5 minutes). Tomorrow I will send the projector to them for repairs, they specified that it might be repaired or just replaced.
I miss my projector already, what would you advise me to get as a backup?
I used the Acer mainly for watching movies and TV in the following configuration:
1. Playon HD2 (full HD) media player via HDMI cable 15 meter long. I did not come across with a movie file that this thing can not play. In fact I have two of this players, the other one is the older version HD1 and both of them can access the movie files stored in an Asus NAS server at the same time. Some people are complaining about this player but for me, for what I use it, it works like a charm.
2. DVB-T USB receiver on a laptop using a VGA cable for watching TV.
3. Motorised 3mx3m white screen with 0 gain
4. Ceiling, rail mounted Acer K330. I used a Manhattan universal ceiling mount I bought from Esquire (a local computer supplier). I went to a local hardware store and I found a very strong rail 2 meter long used for sliding doors with a roller made for it which has 4 wheels with bearings. The ceiling mount is fitted on the roller. This rail is fitted on the ceiling, the mount is fitted in the roller and by by turning around the mount (screwing or unscrewing the roller bolt) you can slide or lock the roller in place. Parallel with this rail I have another light curtain rail which holds the cables. With this setting I can set the projector at 2.4m to 4.4m from the screen in no time. I usually keep the projector at about 4.4m from the screen and the image fills my 3m wide screen. I will post a picture of the setting when I will get back the projector from repairs (now it looks ugly without it).
5. Sound via optical cable from the Playon to the Samsung Home theatre
All in all I am very happy with this projector, it is great for the money I paid for it.
post #560 of 940 Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 AM

I am interested in getting either the lg hx300g or the acer k330... Can anybody tell me which one is better? I already own a lg hs201 and I am looking to upgrade. Are these any better? I use my lg hs201 for everything from tv, to movies, games and even as my main monitor.
post #561 of 940 Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM

The lg hx300g just went outta stock but they are going to get more on the 16th. The acer k330 is still in stock for $500 but only for limited time. Is that a good deal?
post #562 of 940 Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 AM

I went ahead and bought the acer k330 and I'm so excited. It has over twice as many pixels as my lg hs201! I don't care about full high definition. As long as the picture looks better then this projector and an old school big screen tv I'm gonna be really happy. Thanks for this forum guys, I read the whole thing and it helped with my decision. Just wish there weren't so many spoiled negative nancys out there lol, I'm sure us poor folks will find this picture amazing! And I don't plan to stand inches away from the screen either lol
post #563 of 940 Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 AM

How far back does the acer k330 projector have to be for a 100inch screen? I keep hearing anything between 8.3 to 10 feet. (sorry my room is small..)
post #564 of 940 Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 AM

Nice, i suppose that acer calculator at the top must be correct.
post #565 of 940 Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 PM

I jst wanted to post my short experience with the Acrer k330 and also ask a couple of questions.

I received the projector on Friday and played around with it for a few hours before going to bed.I also have an Epson EX71 that I was hoping to replace due to heat,noise and fear of the bulb popping every time I turn it on(The first lamp only lasted about 1200 hours and I'm pushing 2500 on the replacement).

Anyway,at first I was pleasantly surprised with the Acer.The brightness was just as good if not slightly better than the Epson and I could barely even tell the Acer was on compared to the Epson.It also didn't feel like a furnace compared to the Epson.Other than that though,it was all downhill from there.

The picture on the Acer is really bad compared to the Epson and there is no options to tweak it other than brightness and contrast or choose one of the horrible presets.I tried for a good hour trying to get a picture that was somewhat close to the Epson and failed miserably.I actually think I could deal with that if it was the only issue but my biggest problem is the focus.This thing will NOT focus properly.At peak focus either the top or the bottom will always be out of focus.I tried my best and finally got it to a point where it was almost tolerable.I turned it off and the next day when I turned it back on it was all completely out of focus again.I waited about 10 minutes and it did seem to get better on it's own but now it was the bottom out of focus and not the top which was how I left it the previous night.This I cannot deal with and find completely unacceptable.I set the focus on my Epson almost 2 years ago and haven't had to even think about touching it since,I don't want to be refocusing every single time I turn it on and not being able to focus the complete screen either.

So,I am returning it to Newegg for a replacement as they do not offer returns on Projectors and at this point I am just going to Ebay the replacement in hopes that I can get most if not all my money back but I just wanted to see if this is unusual or not?I read a few posts about focus issues with these LED PJ's but I had no idea this is what they meant,is it?Is what I am experiencing normal or did I just get a bad unit?
post #566 of 940 Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM

I happened to have 2 tiny wifi adapters and thought I'd try and see if by any chance the k330 would work with them.

I updated the firmware, plugged the usb wifi adapter in and got to this screen:

However, I don't see the network that is supposedly created by the k330 on my computer's available networks.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Kami
post #567 of 940 Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM

You have to go out and get yourself the D-link DWA 125 wifi adapter, this one works with this projector. I have used it and it works. As for the image that you get, it is not all that great, so i suggest just using a wire to connect to the PJ. I think you can get it for around $15 this adapter.
post #568 of 940 Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 AM

Can any of you guys tell me if the unit I received is faulty or are they all like this?Do they all not focus properly or only a few like mine?I'm getting a replacement for my initial unit and would just rather not even open it and resell if it's a common issue with the majority.Thanks.
post #569 of 940 Old 01-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanooki View Post

Can any of you guys tell me if the unit I received is faulty or are they all like this?Do they all not focus properly or only a few like mine?I'm getting a replacement for my initial unit and would just rather not even open it and resell if it's a common issue with the majority.Thanks.

As I recall the focusing issue was also on a very few Vivitek Qumi units so I think that you got a faulty unit.

Exchange for another unit or wait a few weeks for improvements??
Hope this helps?

Russ.

DIY beats store purchased.
post #570 of 940 Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanooki View Post

Hi,
Focusing issue is dependent on the Vertical position of the PJ, and KeyStone required.

I have faced similar issue when I was beaming upto 70" screen by placing PJ on floor, and Focus was never right on top and bottom, When we adjust one, the other side goes slightly out of focus.

I tried to change the vertical position of the PJ avoiding KeyStone as much as possible, this was achieved by setting manual keystone to 0 (Normal) level, and adjust the PJ to match desired picture.

I am sure this will not be the case for other robust PJ, we can get everything for what we pay for this Mighty Crumb.

Yet I am super Satisfied with this PJ for its size, Mobility, Low Heat emission & noise.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector , Projectors , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - K330 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page