ACER K330 LED 1280x800 - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 933 Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is another pic. As you can see it has 3 LED modules, two of them (grren and red) have proper cooling (heat pipe ending with big heat sinks, between the two heatsinks two fans are installed, one LED module (blue) does not have heat pipe, but a heatsink is fitted stright on it and it is positioned next to the lens (this might explain the necessity of settin the focus after a while when the teperature is stable. Another fan is in the back left side.
One day I might strip the thing in pieces. I want to see if the M/B has parts on both sides. The way it looks from this side, the HDMI port is fitted on the M/B and below the square DLP chip which looks more like a processor.
By the way, this is the projector with blown HDMI port, it was sent to Amazon for repairs and after bouncing from Germany to France and never going through customs, Amazon ask me to kindly accept it back and dispose of it.
Another thing I will try is to flash the unit with the latest firmware, it might restore the HDMI interface.
It is worth a try to examine the lens assy and see if it can be replaced wth a glass one with similar specs.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 933 Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 AM

Hi all,

Before I decide to buy a Ralink RT3070/RT2870 wifi dongle, can anyone confirm if audio is send along or only video? I could connect a FM transmitter to my source (PC) but if the audio is streamed along that would be better ofcourse.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, am I correct in assuming this Acer unit has the Actions Micro AM8201 SoC? If so these are its specs:

http://www.szaunit.com/products/prod...peid=381784252
post #603 of 933 Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
kmx

My K330 arrived today. Sadly, I'm already having a problem with it. Every once in a while it "loses" the video signal. The black screen with the Acer logo comes up and it lasts for 2-3 seconds before the video comes back. It seems to happen shortly after the projector is turned on and video is playing. It happens occasionally after that but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Has anyone else seen this issue? The hdmi cable is good. It's the same one I've been using with my 1080p sanyo projector for years.
post #604 of 933 Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Could there be a way to install a heat shield between the Blue LED and the Lens ? or modify if so there is a heat pipe from it and find some room for another heat sink ?
post #605 of 933 Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Wonder if Acer sent you a Demo model ? return it if possible as soon as you can... this one seems to be a defective one.
post #606 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 AM

Hi KMX,

I'd have to agree with Projectorfan, I do not suffer from this problem. I use a 10 meter HDMI cable with my galaxy S2/Wii. I do recognize what you describe but this only happens when I try to select USB A as a source and the HD isn't ready. It will revert to the Acer screen.

As a side note, when I pause a movie from a 2.5" HDD, if you have it paused too long, the beamer will "Hang" as in, it won't continue the movie and you can't reset it properly. You still have the menu and you can change sources but as soon as you select a source, you get the same hanging screen back once it should start displaying the source. Only solution is to turn the beamer off and on again.
post #607 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 AM

kmx losing/breaking signal. Which source you are using?
post #608 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 AM
kmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraterrestria1 View Post

kmx losing/breaking signal. Which source you are using?

HDMI. My signal starts at a Cisco RNG150 highdef cable box, goes to a Denon AVR-1912 A/V receiver, and ends at the K330.

This morning, I removed the Denon receiver from the equation by plugging the K330 directly into the Cisco cable box. It did not fix the problem.
post #609 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM

kmx, try to use another source (I think that Cisco RNG15 has poor signal and send null to display)
post #610 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM

kmx, Indeed try different sources, also try vga input if you have a vga source. Try playing directly from USB stick/Memory as well. If it only happens with HDMI input and different HDMI sources you might have a broken HDMI port like virge52
post #611 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx View Post

My K330 arrived today. Sadly, I'm already having a problem with it. Every once in a while it "loses" the video signal. The black screen with the Acer logo comes up and it lasts for 2-3 seconds before the video comes back. It seems to happen shortly after the projector is turned on and video is playing. It happens occasionally after that but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Has anyone else seen this issue? The hdmi cable is good. It's the same one I've been using with my 1080p sanyo projector for years.

I received mine on Tuesday (which is already on the way back due to a scratched lens out of the box!). However as I've been waiting for the regalement from Amazon, I was using it for the first time last night. It would do exactly what you were describing from my DirecTV HD box. My new projector is waiting for me at home.

I had my AppleTV plugged in also using HDMI without issue. I'm hoping it's isolated to that unit and not some sort of HDCP/HDMI syncing issues between the K330 and my DirecTV box.
post #612 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1981 View Post

Before I decide to buy a Ralink RT3070/RT2870 wifi dongle

As noted by Henry earlier, I can also confirm that the RT2870 does NOT work with the K330. I have Linksys dongle based on it and it doesn't even turn on in the PJ. Stick with RT3070/3072-based dongles.
post #613 of 933 Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
kmx

My K330 definitely has a defective hdmi port. I replaced the cable box with another of the same model and the problem is still there. Also, I found that that when I pick up the projector and gently move it around it loses the hdmi signal. These are not extreme or violent movements and should not cause the signal to go out. The K330 is definitely going back. I might try one of the other clones instead of another K330.
post #614 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 AM

KMX, Bad luck, hope they replace it soon.

Is there anyone that can confirm if the wireless options transfers audio or video only? Maybe I can find out if I install the software on the PC.
post #615 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 AM

I received my new K330 and I added a Pioneer receiver to the mix and I still was getting the same HDMI drop outs. I've been using the same HDMI cable because of the distance (20ft), it's the only one I have long enough to reach. I'm going to get a bigger gauge cable and see if that takes care of it. It did not seem to have issue on my AppleTV, however.
post #616 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Hmm, seems to be a weak point to the Acer that HDMI port. I have tried it on my S2 and WII without problems but it looks like I need to be carefull with it. I might test it this weekend with my Philips DFR9000 receiver. Just to see if I have any problems.
post #617 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 AM
kmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotheron View Post

I received my new K330 and I added a Pioneer receiver to the mix and I still was getting the same HDMI drop outs. I've been using the same HDMI cable because of the distance (20ft), it's the only one I have long enough to reach. I'm going to get a bigger gauge cable and see if that takes care of it. It did not seem to have issue on my AppleTV, however.

I don't think cabling is the issue. I get dropouts with a 3ft long 24awg high speed certified cable. When a device has problems with a quality 3ft cable it is more than just finicky. The fact that mine cuts out when moved ever so slightly suggests a defect in the HDMI socket or the soldering of the HDMI socket to the board.

This signal loss thing a total deal breaker. There's no way I'm keeping a projector that cuts out so frequently. Has anyone heard of the other clones sharing this defect? I have heard that they can be slow to sync to a signal. That's fine. What I care about are dropouts after the signal is acquired.

MINI REVIEW:

I'm coming from a $1.5k 1080p HT projector. The K330 was bought to save bulb hours on the HT projector during junk TV watching (shows that no one cares much about.) For me, the K330 is just barely good enough for that task.

Before the purchase, brightness was my main concern. I'm happy to say that the K330 is bright enough for watching daytime TV. Our HT room is light controlled but we do not do serious light control for daytime TV. Even with a fairly bright room, the brightness of the projector is "good enough" with a 48" tall 16:9 image.

Color reproduction is not good. I wouldn't even call it adequate. I have not tried adjustments in the hidden menu. I have played around with the standard menu color adjustments. There is a serious overdrive of reds in some scenes. I have not been able to remedy it without negatively impacting the other colors. This color thing is strange. Some HD scenes look great but most do not. The color reproduction is highly scene dependent and not at all consistent. I wonder if scenes with little red are the ones that look good... I'm not knowledgeable enough about color issues to know.

The remote is total crap. Aside from its physical deficiencies, the range is horrible and I often have to aim and press buttons multiple times.

The menu interface is strange and there are not a lot of adjustments that can be made. Also, the menus can be slow.

I consider the eco mode fan noise to be ok. It is loud in regular mode. The projector is about 8 feet away from our seating and the fan (in regular mode) can easily be heard when the program audio is low.

There is a protrusion on the bottom of the projector that is very close to the threaded hole used for tripod mounting. The cleat of a standard sized tripod overlaps the protrusion. This prevents the K330 from sitting flat (side to side) on the tripod. My tripod does not have a side-to-side "roll" adjustment that can correct for this and I don't think most inexpensive tripods do.

There are many things that I don't like about the K330. However, it is cheap, bulbless, and "ok" for casual TV. That's enough for me to consider it a good purchase provided I can get one that doesn't exhibit the HDMI signal loss problem.

People who are not used to HT projectors being might very happy with the K330 even for movie watching. I would have been ecstatic to have this thing in my apartment when I was a college student.
post #618 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx View Post

I don't think cabling is the issue. I get dropouts with a 3ft long 24awg high speed certified cable. When a device has problems with a quality 3ft cable it is more than just finicky. The fact that mine cuts out when moved ever so slightly suggests a defect in the HDMI socket or the soldering of the HDMI socket to the board.

This signal loss thing a total deal breaker. There's no way I'm keeping a projector that cuts out so frequently. Has anyone heard of the other clones sharing this defect? I have heard that they can be slow to sync to a signal. That's fine. What I care about are dropouts after the signal is acquired.

This is what I want to know myself. I'm going to send this 2nd unit back and perhaps get another of the clones. As you said, this purchase was mainly for TV viewing and I do not want to purchase a projector that will need a bulb replacement in 2000 or so hours due to this.

The picture was pretty good to my eyes, but as you said, the HDMI dropping issue is not acceptable.
post #619 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
kmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotheron View Post

This is what I want to know myself. I'm going to send this 2nd unit back and perhaps get another of the clones. As you said, this purchase was mainly for TV viewing and I do not want to purchase a projector that will need a bulb replacement in 2000 or so hours due to this.

The picture was pretty good to my eyes, but as you said, the HDMI dropping issue is not acceptable.

Bad news... From "Viewsonic PLED-W500 projector review" at The Inquirer:

Quote:

However, despite the good picture quality we found that the picture cut out at regular intervals when the projector was connected to a PS3 via an HDMI cable. The projected image would abruptly cut to the Viewsonic logo as it began "searching" for the signal and the picture would reappear after about five seconds.

The Viewsonic logo would appear every 10 or so minutes either mid-game or during a movie. During a three hour stint on Fifa, this became very frustrating. We didn't notice the same problem when connecting a laptop to the projector via a VGA cable.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ojector-review

If I'm not mistaken there are two reviews on Amazon reporting HDMI problems, one for the K330 and one for the W500.

I watched a program on my K330 using a laptop connected via VGA. There were no signal problems and the colors were much better. It makes me think that the designer's primary focus was on VGA performance. They are supposed to be portable presentation projectors after all.
post #620 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Hi all,

For the 2 above, I have watched LOTR fellowship of the ring 15 GB MKV file from my galaxy S2 via MHL adapter to HDMI. Now these files had to be cut down in to 4 GB files but I did not have a dropout once and I use a 10 meter (perhaps 15 I didn't measure) HDMI cable. Next to that I have played several hours on the WII via HDMI and the same cable with no dropouts.

Have both of you upgraded to the new firmware? (be carefull with this though, use a decent SDHC card since the 1 GB sandisk SD card I used flashed it incomplete while the SDHC worked OK, luckily I could flash again but thats no guarantee for the future I guess :P)

I can only suggest to try as many different sources as you can and if they all do it I would have to assume your unit is faulty and that QC at Acer regarding the HDMI port should be improved. It would be a shame since HDMI is the most frequently used port nowadays. I read LG is on its way to release a 600 lumen LED projector which would definitely get my recommendation above this one if they don't have the scaling bug. Personally I wouldn't go for one with lower lumen output.

I just tested the projector with 3 more sources. The first I tried was my Nvidia 8800GT card with a DVI to HDMI cable. It doesn't work. I am unsure why, probably the K330 doesn't accept DVI signal or something. The strange thing is that my PC does show it as the Acer K330 in both the Nvidia control panel and the windows control panel (I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit). Now it might just be that it is the 8800 since I have had problems with it before and officially it doesn't support HDCP.

The second thing I tried is connecting it to my Philips DFR9000 receiver. That worked, but not fully. I used to circomvent the HDCP via my receiver in the past because my older Philips TV didn't accept the output of my GT8800 directly either. Via the Receiver I do get an image but not at native resolution strangely enough. When I changed it to 1080p it did give an image, I didn't try anything else because I just wanted to see if it gives an image and it did.

Next thing I plugged it in to the HDMI port of my girlfriends Alienware and that worked straight away. Native resolution image on the wall without having to set anything (videocard is an AMD M6990).

For those who want to know, I bought my unit from Amazon UK. I expect they might have gotten it from Germany though since they state an extra 2 days delivery time after dispatch has been communicated.

I hope mine keeps working properly though, I fear disconnecting and connecting the HDMI cable might be risky reading your stories. Best of luck with the replacements and sorry to hear you have to worry about getting the replacement and a working unit.
post #621 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 02:50 PM

I got a new cable coming tomorrow to rule that out, and if that's not it, I'm returning it for sure and getting another projector line entirely.
post #622 of 933 Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Boys, I am not even in a position to return the PJ (much more risk) since I am currently in the Middle East but rest assured that I have tried every source quite a bit. VGA is just fine as is HDMI. I have used my Roku connected via HDMI for dozens of hours of viewing and did not experience a single drop-out.

However, I was not so lucky with USB. While it wasn't exactly a dropout, a 350MB AVI file off of my generic Sandisk 32GB stick played with quite a bit of jerkiness, I felt transported back to 1995 when bad video codecs were the norm. Now, this may have been my USB stick but I don't think so. I will try another USB stick.
post #623 of 933 Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 AM

It might not even be the image part but the audio. I think the multimedia decoder part of this chip is not very good at all. The link to the chip I gave earlier shows what profiles are supported but its all a bit cryptic. Hopefully Acer will include something like XMBC. I have been thinking about purchasing a raspberry pi as a multimedia player but I can't be sure that one will play the movies well either.
post #624 of 933 Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM
kmx

I flashed to the newest firmware just for the hell of it. Unsurprisingly, the hdmi problem is still there. The slightest jiggle of the tripod knocks the signal out. This is definitely a mechanical problem.
post #625 of 933 Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Well I did replace the cable and it appears to have fixed the issue. It might be as simple as kmx said, mechanical, and the new cable made a better connection.

Funny thing is while I was waiting on my new cable, I made a temporary 20ft cable using what I think are 28awg cables and a couple and never had the issue. I also haven't had an issue with with the new cable so it might have been as simple as the cable I was using wasn't making a good connection or something.

In either case I'm happy with the projector, it's perfect for what I need in the bedroom. When my little ones get older, I'll spend a bit more and get something for the living room that's a bit brighter.
post #626 of 933 Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
kmx

I found a cable that "fixes" the issue on my unit too. I swapped through my entire stash of hdmi cables (I have a lot) to find one that works. The working cable has a different feel when it is inserted into the hdmi port. I can only describe it as more snug than all the others. I have not seen the cut out problem since the cable swap. Shaking the tripod no longer causes the video to cut out.

It looks like the hdmi port itself is subtly out of spec. What a shame to have a $0.50 part compromise such a great little device!
post #627 of 933 Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

It sounds like either the solder for the circuit board where the HDMI port is cracked for they use the new type of solder now RoHS , or the pins for the HDMI port are bent.
Other than the convenience that the sound also goes through the HDMI I would rather use a DVI port and DVI cable , much more robust and not a prone to damage.
You would still get the same quality video with DVI.
Remember with all of the components hooked up you have to have the HDMI handshake to get a video signal.
Also the component has to be HDCP High Definition Copy Right compliant to get a signal with a HDMI cable or signal.
post #628 of 933 Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

HDMI cables and the ports can get damaged very easy.
They have HDMI protectors that you plug up in the back of the electronic device so as you don't have to plug and unplug it from your device as much.
That way it saves the port from wear and damage.
post #629 of 933 Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Will that LG 600 Lumens projector be 1080 P with 3-D ?
Any word on what it will cost ?
post #630 of 933 Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Sometimes even on my computer monitor if the resolution is out of range I would get a blank screen and would have to readjust it.
Perhaps your Nvidia card resolution has to be adjusted for your projectors to get a signal.
If your Nvida card resolution is adjusted way to low your projector won't get a signal.
Do you have another newer computer monitor that has both HDMI and DVI and plug that cable into it and see if you can get a signal ?
If so, then back to the projector to see where the problem is.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector , Projectors , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page