ACER K330 LED 1280x800 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
That LG 600 Lumens LED projector will be available in June... no word yet of it's specs.
Hope it's full 1080 P for there is no reason no at this time for projector manufacturers with this kind of Lumens output for not adding 1080 P with it.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You would have thought that they could have made the case of the projector 5 mm wider and added a heat shield next to the blue LED and how much would that have cost them ? maybe 20 $ ?
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Member
 
Ryan1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Projectorfan,

I am unsure what causes the projector not displaying anything if it is supplied with a DVI to HDMI signal. There can be many reasons, HDCP, Cable, Acer not accepting DVI via HDMI, GT8800 in general.

I have taken the risk and ordered this wifi adapter:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/portabl...a-black-104704

Will keep you up to date if it works but It will probably take a month to arrive so got to be patient lol :P

I guess it is good to hear that you guys found a cable that worked and bad that you had to try so many before it worked. Maybe it is a good idea to buy an adapter so not to wear out the port on the unit itself.
Ryan1981 is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Could anyone take some decent photos of a movie playing on the acer K330? To get a sens of how sharp the picture is

I'm debating between this and a 50" plasma for roughly the same price... All I can find is crappy youtube videos of the pj, I'd prefer the size of a projector, but if the image quality doesn't compare to a TV I'll get the TV, definitely want to pull the trigger one way or the other in the next week.
cheers
matteos is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I held off on buying one of these clone projectors and decided to wait until a LED projector with 1080 P and higher lumens comes along, but it's tempting to say the least to maybe buy one of these if the price drops farther.
I bought a LG-HX300 back in 2010 still use it once in a while but never was happy with it.
It seems to dull as far as light output, but still can get a some what decent picture to watch movies and as far as video games, forget about it.
Watching games on it is like going back to composite video cables.
If the price is right I will check in on that new LG that is suppose to come out on June.
There are no specs on it yet.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you can wait and hold off for a few more months a whole new batch of projectors are suppose to be released and offer much better lumens and hopefully better resolution than these clone projectors.
As for me I managed to live with the LG-HX-300 for 2 years and I can wait a little longer to get what I really wanted for the last 3 or 4 years.
A projector with decent lumens and resolution.
The 3-D thing could wait or not get it at all, it's no big deal or deal breaker.
Besides I find that 3-D bother's my eyes while watching it so I could live with out 3-D unless the technology get's better without it bothering your eyes.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Member
 
Ryan1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

Could anyone take some decent photos of a movie playing on the acer K330? To get a sens of how sharp the picture is

I'm debating between this and a 50" plasma for roughly the same price... All I can find is crappy youtube videos of the pj, I'd prefer the size of a projector, but if the image quality doesn't compare to a TV I'll get the TV, definitely want to pull the trigger one way or the other in the next week.
cheers

Hi Matteos,

I can already say beforehand that if it is picture quality you value you needn't look any further. This beamer can't even come close to a plasma screen, although I wouldn't be 100% sure about a screen in the 400£ range. My question is more why would you choose plasma over LCD. You'd save a lot of energy with LCD and although I have heard plasma doesn't suffer from burn in anymore, at the 400£ range I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Ryan1981 is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1981 View Post

Hi Matteos,

I can already say beforehand that if it is picture quality you value you needn't look any further. This beamer can't even come close to a plasma screen, although I wouldn't be 100% sure about a screen in the 400£ range. My question is more why would you choose plasma over LCD. You'd save a lot of energy with LCD and although I have heard plasma doesn't suffer from burn in anymore, at the 400£ range I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Hey Ryan, thaks for the feedback. The TV I saw is more than 50% off... last years model they are getting rid of 1080p 600hz samsung for $500, but if these beamers don't come close to the image quality I think I'll get the TV, I really would love a projector, but maybe I'll hold off on it until the technology matures. (This is assuming they still have it on sale, I saw it last week)
matteos is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Pauma Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1981 View Post

Hi Matteos,

I can already say beforehand that if it is picture quality you value you needn't look any further. This beamer can't even come close to a plasma screen, although I wouldn't be 100% sure about a screen in the 400£ range. My question is more why would you choose plasma over LCD. You'd save a lot of energy with LCD and although I have heard plasma doesn't suffer from burn in anymore, at the 400£ range I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Plasmas offer a much wider angle of view and better motion. They are also generally much cheaper than a like-for-like LCD. The projector is 720P so it can't match the resolution of the flat panel. But if size matters then the projector is hands down winner.

Jack
JackB is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Plasmas offer a much wider angle of view and better motion. They are also generally much cheaper than a like-for-like LCD. The projector is 720P so it can't match the resolution of the flat panel. But if size matters then the projector is hands down winner.

How does the quality of the image measure up to a 720p TV?
matteos is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Pauma Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

How does the quality of the image measure up to a 720p TV?

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

Jack
JackB is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Member
 
RonKnox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Matteos, I own a Samsung 52" 1080P 120Hz LCD (in the bedroom) and an Acer K330 LED projector (for the den room, in a home theater setup). I purchased the Samsung 52" LCD first in about 2010, then bought the Acer K330 in late 2011, and I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy them both, but in different ways. I enjoy using the LCD flatscreen for watching HD television programs ("The Big Bang Theory", "Supernatural", "Two and a Half Men", you know, all the best in television).
Though I use the Acer K330 for watching FILMS, on blu-ray primarily, and on DVD when a blu-ray is unavailable. For viewing motion picture films, the giant, cinema-scale 120 inch widescreen image I get with the Acer K330 is far more enjoyable to me than any LCD or Plasma screen of lesser size. However, I do have a completely darkened room for the Acer K330, and you MUST cover all windows in a room to get the best image from the current LED HD DLP projectors.
IF, you already have a flatscreen of 46 to 50+ inches image size to use, then get the Acer K330 next and use it in a light-controlled (that is, no windows that are not blocked out) room, with a large size screen (at least 90" and up). The Acer K330 projector produces images that are so much more film-like (and I am a huge fan of cinema) than my Samsung LCD flatscreen. Both technologies, flatscreen LCD or plasma, do have their strong points, with video programs looking great on the flatscreen units, while movies look best on the giant (for home theater sizes) LED projector screens sizes of 90 inches or more.
RonKnox is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As far as a TV goes, I have a old CRT HD 37 inch TV that works just fine if I want to use it for everyday viewing the news or TV programs, and video game, but, as many here would say that they got their projector for that film like, or big theater viewing experience and with out a doubt many people love that big screen theater experience at home.
Hope that Ryan1981 can find that happy medium compromise where they can find a affordable flat screen TV and have a projector.
If the price is right there is no reason not to have both.
I would view my projector for every day viewing if I had the proper room to set it up in.
As of now, I have to set it up to watch a movie and take it all back down until I can find the time to properly set it up and leave it alone and all I would have to do is take the lens cap off and push the remote button to watch it.
However, as many have found out that the viewing can't be really enjoyed unless the room is totally light controlled and the room I have is not able to do so at this time but I can work on that.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry Ryan1981 I was mistaken, I meant matteos, Matteos I hope you can find what you are looking for.
Patients will help you find what your looking for and save money.
In a few months prices should drop on these clone projectors as a new batch from the projector manufactures are released.
I would have jumped to buy one of these clone projectors but I am still holding out to see how the new batch of projectors look and perform in the next few months.
However ? what price point will they be at ? what resolution ? we will see and hopefully they will be higher Lumens and 1080P resolution.
Are we there folks ? at the point that these new projectors will be the game changer over the old bulb based projectors and no more worries about bulb cost and color wheels ? or have we passed that point already with these clone projectors ?
I guess we have to keep everything in perspective, 10 years ago many would have dreamed of having the same performance in the bulb based projectors as we see even in these clone projectors and yes, admittingly, the technology is there, but the manufacturers are a little slow of getting them to market and at the price that the masses can afford.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eat meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

I would have jumped to buy one of these clone projectors but I am still holding out to see how the new batch of projectors look and perform in the next few months.
However ? what price point will they be at ? what resolution ? we will see and hopefully they will be higher Lumens and 1080P resolution.
Are we there folks ? at the point that these new projectors will be the game changer over the old bulb based projectors and no more worries about bulb cost and color wheels ? or have we passed that point already with these clone projectors ?
I guess we have to keep everything in perspective, 10 years ago many would have dreamed of having the same performance in the bulb based projectors as we see even in these clone projectors and yes, admittingly, the technology is there, but the manufacturers are a little slow of getting them to market and at the price that the masses can afford.

there probably will not be a 1080p pico chipped pj(there isnt really a 720p pico chipped pj"1140x912")a few are not even being carried,they just cant sell a 500$ 200 lumen pj.

the new stuff will be full size hybred stuff and will cater to school class,1024x768 and 720p.at first ,and will never offer much value at the prices that are being thrown around.

__________________________________________
Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

(fifth element)
__________________________________________
eat meat is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Member
 
monakh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lahore | Manama | Washington
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It ain't real.
monakh is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKnox View Post

Matteos, I own a Samsung 52" 1080P 120Hz LCD (in the bedroom) and an Acer K330 LED projector (for the den room, in a home theater setup). I purchased the Samsung 52" LCD first in about 2010, then bought the Acer K330 in late 2011, and I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy them both, but in different ways. I enjoy using the LCD flatscreen for watching HD television programs ("The Big Bang Theory", "Supernatural", "Two and a Half Men", you know, all the best in television).
Though I use the Acer K330 for watching FILMS, on blu-ray primarily, and on DVD when a blu-ray is unavailable. For viewing motion picture films, the giant, cinema-scale 120 inch widescreen image I get with the Acer K330 is far more enjoyable to me than any LCD or Plasma screen of lesser size. However, I do have a completely darkened room for the Acer K330, and you MUST cover all windows in a room to get the best image from the current LED HD DLP projectors.
IF, you already have a flatscreen of 46 to 50+ inches image size to use, then get the Acer K330 next and use it in a light-controlled (that is, no windows that are not blocked out) room, with a large size screen (at least 90" and up). The Acer K330 projector produces images that are so much more film-like (and I am a huge fan of cinema) than my Samsung LCD flatscreen. Both technologies, flatscreen LCD or plasma, do have their strong points, with video programs looking great on the flatscreen units, while movies look best on the giant (for home theater sizes) LED projector screens sizes of 90 inches or more.

Thankyou, this is what I'm looking for, most projectors have screen shots of them in action and I can get a sense of the quality, these clones are so new that there isn't much information floating about other than youtube videos that don't really help.

DLPProjectorfan

Ahh, I hate waiting, It looks like I'm going to though, the 51" plasma is gone now... June is so far away...
Thanks for answering my questions everyone.
matteos is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
There are 2 reasons why I am waiting, one my funds are going towards car repair so I don't have much choice there and bills to pay, and the other is when I bought the LG-HX300 2 years ago I got buyer's remorse and never was satisfied with the projector.
But don't get me wrong, it works and has a ok picture and most people know what it's like when you have been waiting for a product to come on the market and then buy it and get this sinking feeling that you bought something that was not what you expected.
Yes, movies on it looks ok, but I would go on to say that even the clone projectors would have a better picture and more lumens than the LG-HX300.
Yes, I thought about selling and I kept it in it's case and it still has low hours on it, but I don't think I'll get much for it.
I know matteos the waiting part is difficult, but it's well worth it to wait and see what is released this summer.
Yes, I am willing to pay $ 1000 or more or perhaps $ 1500 for one of the new projectors.
However, in a few months the clones price will drop and I might eventually buy one of those and be happy with it.
As for me I don't have a lot of money to trow around so when I do make a choice I want it to last a long time and be happy with the purchase.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Member
 
Ryan1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Matteos,

I could make a video for you but my wall is slightly yellow/cream colored and might not give an accurate representation of what it could be. Let me know if you would like me to do this since I have some extra time because my videocard is being replaced and can't use my computer :P.

Regards,

Ryan
Ryan1981 is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
kmx
Member
 
kmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx View Post

I found a cable that "fixes" the issue on my unit too. I swapped through my entire stash of hdmi cables (I have a lot) to find one that works. The working cable has a different feel when it is inserted into the hdmi port. I can only describe it as more snug than all the others. I have not seen the cut out problem since the cable swap. Shaking the tripod no longer causes the video to cut out.

It looks like the hdmi port itself is subtly out of spec. What a shame to have a $0.50 part compromise such a great little device!

I spoke too soon. The cable took care of most of the signal drops but not all. There were 3-4 drops over the span of two days after the new cable. The K330 has been returned.
kmx is offline  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
Rappa-San's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried the following stick with no effort:
ALFA AWUS036NEH.

Well, i think it would be a good idea to create a list of working and non-working wlan sticks.

Good news from the world!! Tried it again and...
Above stick works like a charm!! Maybe the stick wasn't fully connected the first time.
Just tried a movie over the gateway - perfect, no delay with full 1280x800. But: only video signal, no audio...
Rappa-San is offline  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Newbie
 
Lotheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx View Post

I spoke too soon. The cable took care of most of the signal drops but not all. There were 3-4 drops over the span of two days after the new cable. The K330 has been returned.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. I had to move the Projector to a better spot and since then have had nothing but annoying drops. It's very picky over HDMI which is the only source I would ever use as I bought it for Television/movie viewing only.

I'm returning mine as well.
Lotheron is offline  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Ryan1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to hear that KMX & Lotheron, I know how fustrating something like this is, lets hope you are the exceptions.

I have tested this little wirless device: Sitecom WL-353(RTL 8188s chipset). I was unable to connect to it with my Galaxy S2. I did show the screen you get when you plug in a wireless device (like Henry said a while back) but it does not show up in the list of available wireless devices which makes me assume it isn't driven properly.
Ryan1981 is offline  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Member
 
tataniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Mediterranean Sea - EU
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
-
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
tataniko is offline  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Member
 
tataniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Mediterranean Sea - EU
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
-
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
tataniko is offline  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Member
 
tataniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Mediterranean Sea - EU
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
-
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
tataniko is offline  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Member
 
tataniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Mediterranean Sea - EU
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
-
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
tataniko is offline  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Member
 
tataniko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Mediterranean Sea - EU
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
-
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
tataniko is offline  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You would have thought that they should have kept those power supply transistors away or as far away from the lens as possible or built some kind of heat shield near the lens to separate the lens from the rest of the heat generating parts of the projector.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would almost be tempted to buy one of those on Ebay for parts and build my own case for the projector.
Make the case a little larger and make the power supply area isolated from the rest as the lens and LEDS and build it's own fan and heat sink.
Build or adapt some kind of heat tube for the blue LED near the lens in some way to keep heat away from the lens and build some kind of heat shield for the lens.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
 

Tags
Acer K330 Portable Home Theater Projector , Projectors , Led Hdtv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off