Viewsonic PLED-W500 LED 1280x800 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 289 Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
3D over hdmi using edid hack is the way to go .. much better then VGA 120hz.
And I use cheap dlp glasses from ebay, total cost very little.
Tehen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmania View Post

Thanks Colmania for all the info.
I just received an acer K330, 3 days ago.
I tried the steps you described in your post and managed to get 1280x720 120hz over both VGA and HDMI.
I use a 3dvision 2 kit and an H5360 inf file to activate the 3d vision.
The only problem is that left and right eyes are inverted and I did not found how to change that for the last two days (so I'll have to use the 3dvision glasses upside down).
For the dlp glasses ... I have just bought a pair of acer e2w today biggrin.gif. I am going to try them in the next few minutes.
I do not know how you managed to find the hack for the overlay test in nvidia dll files but it is really helpfull smile.gif , thanks.

update: 3d dlp glasses work perfectly. I just had to cover the nvidia IR emitter otherwise it interfers with dlp sync from the projector.
3d seems a little bit better with the dlp glasses (no ghosting at all) but image colors seems a little bit better with the 3dvision 2 glasses. But these differences are very subtle (and my eyes are a bit tired at this time of the night (1am here)).
As a side note for those interested by this kind of 3d solution, 3d dlp mode on the projector(acer K330) makes the projector's fan spin faster and much louder. I do not know if it is the same with the w500.

post #273 of 289 Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehen View Post

Thanks Colmania for all the info.
I just received an acer K330, 3 days ago.
I tried the steps you described in your post and managed to get 1280x720 120hz over both VGA and HDMI.
I use a 3dvision 2 kit and an H5360 inf file to activate the 3d vision.
The only problem is that left and right eyes are inverted and I did not found how to change that for the last two days (so I'll have to use the 3dvision glasses upside down).
For the dlp glasses ... I have just bought a pair of acer e2w today biggrin.gif. I am going to try them in the next few minutes.
I do not know how you managed to find the hack for the overlay test in nvidia dll files but it is really helpfull smile.gif , thanks.
update: 3d dlp glasses work perfectly. I just had to cover the nvidia IR emitter otherwise it interfers with dlp sync from the projector.
3d seems a little bit better with the dlp glasses (no ghosting at all) but image colors seems a little bit better with the 3dvision 2 glasses. But these differences are very subtle (and my eyes are a bit tired at this time of the night (1am here)).
As a side note for those interested by this kind of 3d solution, 3d dlp mode on the projector(acer K330) makes the projector's fan spin faster and much louder. I do not know if it is the same with the w500.[/quote

Thank you very much for the heads-up on the 3D over hdmi. One thing though, when you say "press open right next to the replacement source" I don't get what you mean. How do I replace the .bmp? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Update: Ok I figured that out. But when I replace the file i get "resource may be damaged or compressed and can only be viewed as a binary dump" Is this normal?

Another Update: I used irfanview to resize the .bmp to 1024x256. It was 1023x256. It works now. Maybe I should work at it a longer before I post huh? biggrin.gif
Tehen likes this.
post #274 of 289 Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBrutto View Post

Another Update: I used irfanview to resize the .bmp to 1024x256. It was 1023x256. It works now. Maybe I should work at it a longer before I post huh? biggrin.gif

Good to know it works for you too smile.gif .
I forgot to write that I had to resize the bmp too (I used windows Paint)
Thanks for your feedback. It will help other people too.

post #275 of 289 Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM

Okay, I must be doing something wrong. Now I get Red blocks where the text used to be. And An identical green box shows up during game play. Am I missing something?

Update: It appears the green box is a message about the games 3D rating and can be turned off by holding down ctrl + alt and pressing insert. The red box remains. I tried installing the drivers 3 back but the same thing. This has to be something I'm missing. Anyone else having any issues?
post #276 of 289 Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBrutto View Post

Okay, I must be doing something wrong. Now I get Red blocks where the text used to be. And An identical green box shows up during game play. Am I missing something?
Update: It appears the green box is a message about the games 3D rating and can be turned off by holding down ctrl + alt and pressing insert. The red box remains. I tried installing the drivers 3 back but the same thing. This has to be something I'm missing. Anyone else having any issues?

Did you recently updated your video drivers to a new version (or auto update may be)?
I do not have this problem but I have not updated anything for more than two months.

Good luck with that.
Do not hesitate to let us know when you find the cause of the problem.

post #277 of 289 Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM

This is what's happening. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Went back to the latest whql driver and still get this. My computer started blue screening right after starting windows so i uninstalled and reinstalled the driver again. At least it stopped the blue screen. I have no idea what went wrong here.

Update: I had to reinstall windows to get rid of the problem.
post #278 of 289 Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Liked: 23
Here are the output resolutions from my PC that I'm using with a Radeon 7970 GPU and TriDef.
It has 1280x720P@120Hz set as the native resolution. I did this because some hardware/software 3D solutions look at the native resolution before enabling.
It has 1280x800 and 1366x768 added in for 3D gaming choices. It also has 1920x1200@30Hz added in for 2D gaming/web surfing. Sometimes 1920x1200 acts up. If it does, I use the remote to swith to USB input and wait a minute then switch back.
On my Nvidia GPU I could do 1920x1200@50Hz HDMI or 1920x1200@60 VGA.

Try at your own risk, works great on my PLED-W500.

BTW you can use monitor asset manager to open and read the file after unzipping it.

rugrash Radeon PLED-W500 HDMI 720P 120Hz native.zip 1k .zip file

As you probably know already, this will not work with 3D Vision.
post #279 of 289 Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM

3d tests.zip 3k .zip file

Sorry I posted wrong resolution with the 201.bmp, here is the right one included in ZIP.

I have managed to get 3d working without either modding overlay text nor using 3d vision emitter emulator. So you can now throw away emulator+usage of PE explorer!!

Here are also the needed files for that! We can use newest driver for 3D vision but only the regular 285.79 for Nvidia.

Deinstall any Nvidia driver. Then install 285.79 for your system (windows 8 works with 7-drivers).
After that reboot computer then force install the EDID. Then reboot again!
The run the included .reg for 3D vision stereoscopic to activate without going through troublesome guide.

At last download newest drivers for Nvidia and start setup, when setup has extracted all files close it, do not install anything!
Navigate to c:/nvidia/displaydriver/ and continue to the NV3DVISION library, install it and you have the latest 3D vision driver.

REBOOT AGAIN one more last time. After this you can add custom resolution as before, 1280x720 at 120-123hz with reduced cvt blank setting. After this you can activate stereoscopic without any dongle! The only bluray software I get to work with this non regular resolution is PowerDVD 10. Also my driver gets slighty sluggish but no trouble with that!

Best regards from Sweden!
Tehen likes this.
post #280 of 289 Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 PM

So when you say....... "The only bluray software I get to work with this non regular resolution is PowerDVD 10."

What exactly do you mean?

Is it because 1280x720@120Hz is not the primary timing/native resolution?

Or are you using some other weird resolution for 3D and/or 2D?
post #281 of 289 Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Hey fellow pled'ers I bought the projector not too long ago, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm having a issue with it though. While playing a movie via hd I connected to my laptop, the projector keeps cutting off randomly and goes in detection mode for video inputs. And then shows video again.
It also does this every time I play a movie thru vlc player or any video. Always cuts the display and goes in detection mode for 3 to 5 seconds.
Is this a serious problem or something I shouldn't be worried about? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thnx
post #282 of 289 Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM

good info to me, aesthetically speaking i am all over the Optoma ML-500, my upcoming new 500 lumens LED projector ,thanks 2.gif
post #283 of 289 Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM

My PLED-W500 has suffered from this since I bought it, it's very annoying.
It did go away for awhile, but started again when I used the reset option in the on screen menu.
I've have over 2K hours on it now, it otherwise seems fine.
All of the clones seem to suffer from it, some more tham others.
If I have a 2nd display connected to my GPU, it never does it.
A poster named Ron Knox has an Acer K330 and swears it quit once he started using a UPC.
post #284 of 289 Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Rugrash: are you referring to my post? Did you had to get the projector replaced or found a solution?
post #285 of 289 Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM

"Since I bought it" as in from then until now. If I had it repaired I would have said so.

Anyhow, I ran across a post today about how to stop HDMI dropouts if using an AMD Radeon.
So far, so good Click "Start", in the search box type services.msc
Find AMD External Events Utility, disable it
right click and choose properties, change startup type to manual
post #286 of 289 Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
About 3000 Hours on my PLED-W500 now. About every 500 hours, i run into the power bug where the projector does not turn off or on, and has a purple LED. It requires me to physically unplug/replug the power, then it works fine. I havn't noticed a decreased color change after 3000 hours. Nice little projector, but dissapointed that even after 2 years we are still on 720p LED Projectors. Lumen output seems to have doubled (1000 lumen LEDs without lasers) are rolling out , but still 720p.

I may upgrade to an HD25 or HD25e soon. Early pricing on the Acer K335 and Optoma ML1000 seem to be upwards $800+ . Just doesn't make sense to buy a 720p LED at that price imo
Tehen likes this.
post #287 of 289 Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM

-> Miwo

500 hours bug is maybe becouse of that function:

from pled w-500 manual www.viewsoniceurope.com/fr/assets/120/23040.pdf‎

LED Calibration - page: 36

Use this function to adjust LED color performance. Please wait for 10 seconds to finish the white color fine tune process.
This function will start to work after the LED used hour being greater than 500 and you continues using the projector for more than 2 hours. If you didn’t implement the LED calibration after the LED used hour being greater than 500 and you continues using the projector for more than 2 hours, it will pop up the message to remind you.

BTW. I had permanent issue: I could not turn off the projector after a few minutes after turn on. I did reset to factory settings and problem was gone.
post #288 of 289 Old 04-12-2014, 06:39 AM

My personal experience about that projector:

Very light portable LED projector and good looking. Instant turn on/off without worry about lamp damage. Could be mounted on tripod. Unfortunately its menu is unintuitive and looks like from MS DOS era. Diamond shape pixels make plain text blurred so it's unsuitable for using as PC screen. I used it as a cheap home theater projector. 500 lumens is sufficient to watch movies at 130' size on wall in total darkness. The image, contrast and black level is really not bad. Could be forced to work at 1280x800 120 HZ mode to to have the best image with maximum brightness. Unfortunately, from what I read, continuous operation at a higher frequency can lead to much more rapid degradation of the DLP chip.

Problems
1. At some point turn off button stopped working. Reset to factory defaults solved the problem.

My personal problems due to my DLP eye sensitvity.

2. A little disturbing RBE (rainbow effect) at 60 HZ and still some visible RBE at 120 HZ
3. This projector after a 20 minutes of watching caused very strong eye strain, which lasted next 24 hours.

However my wife did not complain about that.

Sold only becouse eye strain and now waiting for 3xLCD Sony VPL-DW120 WXGA with 2600/1900/1500 ANSI lumens (3000/5000/7000 hours of lamp life) which costs the same as Viewsonic. From what I read about technical problems on different forums LED/DLP projectors are overrated becouse they could not last so long as advertised 20.000 hours. Some users reported that LED went dim prematurely or they had DLP chip mirrors degradation even at 4000 hours: new Casio model. Mayby it was accidence maybe not. Only the producer know the true avarage life of their products.

Power consumption of LED and normal bulbs is on the same level per lumen, so they are not better in that category too: 500 lumens PLED-W500 - less then 120 Watt at bright 120 HZ mode (producer specification), 1500 eco mode on bulb SONY VPL-DW120: measured exactly 168 Watt in tests.

Finally - diamond pixel DLP chip make them even less attractive. Price of high lumens models is much higher then normal DLP or 3xLCD counterparts.

Example prices from Poland:
- bulb 3xLCD compact Sony VPL-DW120 WXGA (2600 lumens), 210W/168 W (measured in tests), 7000 bulb life in 1500 lumen super eco: 600 USD
- Casio XJ-M240 LED/laser WXGA - 2500 lumens, 190W/150W (producer specification), advertised: 20.000 hours, but guarantee on 6000 hours: 1320 USD !!

I bought that PLED W-500 as used (looked like new) with 500 hours on the clock for 330 USD. I think only such minimal price is reasonable for what it offers vs comparable lamp competitors.
post #289 of 289 Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM

After 2 years of owning this projector and 1800+ hrs lamp usage, my viewsonic PLED-W500 projector became very dim (in the dark room) and not even bright enough to watch anything. It was fine 4 days ago and when I turn it on yesterday, it was so dim. Any one experienced this before? It is out of warranty now. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pled W500 80 Inch 720p Front Projector Black , New Led Projector 1280x800 500 Lumens 3500 1 Pled W500
Gear in this thread - W500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page