AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalfury View Post

Hi jumbi

Cool Video of the viewsonic. I think the internal speakers are ok for me , i want to use this in bedroom , its like 2 mtrs by 3 mtrs. Ok not the biggest of rooms but the sound should be ok and i dont think the fans will bother me , if i stick to eco mode. Just what screen size would i get if i project from 2 mtrs ? i dont have a draper screen , just projecting onto a white wall.

any problems or issues so far ? what about heat issues ?

more vidoes please your a STAR

ive seen this projector online for $665 , so technically we in uk shouldbe able to purchase this for like £400 , but as always we pay higher price for the exact same goods in other countries , lowest price i found was £502 .. £100 excess, im going to try and negiotate a discount.

US consumer prices are listed without tax, so the ex VAT pricing isn't that much of a premium, but do try, doesn't hurt asking about a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 289 Old 11-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

... any problems or issues so far ? what about heat issues ?

No problems or issues. I have it mounted on a tripod - not heat issues. I usually run it for about 4 hrs continuously, and it does not run hot.

Check out my 2nd video - just an assortment of trailers I put together quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc65ebVlHv4
post #93 of 289 Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM

I have the PLED-W500, it has the typical cold start focus issue but no CA or light bleed issues, at least not on the unit I received. The fan isn't so bad on the Picture or Movie setting, but is fairly loud when set to User, PC or Bright. But is not any louder than your typical plug and use floorheater. The speakers are not very loud,but are adequate. Takes 6-10 seconds to reaquire signals more often than I like. No Sharpness, Saturation or Tint adjustments like the Acer. Instead just a Color Temp. Interesting enough it shows Sharpness, Saturation and Hue adjustments in the Owner's manual, so where da h3ll are they? Has a User Color Mode, I'm unsure what this is, there are no individual adjustments for it. Also has a "my button" that supposed to be programable? Doesn't say how. Also says "my botton' on screen when pushed :P

Watching Finding Nemo I was switching thru the color profiles and noticed they are all wonky factory calibrated. For instance this purple fish would turn neon blue, hot pink, ultra-violet when toggling color profiles. I may try to set the LED numbers the same as the Acer to see if it resolves it, when I get back tomorrow.

It does handle a 1920x1080 desktop very well via HDMI, as well as videos inputting at that resolution. Also, I've gamed a lil in 3D 1280x720 by spoofing the .inf, handles it well. I have not been able to try 3D Blu-ray playback yet nor have I tried playing back files of any type.
post #94 of 289 Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

I have the PLED-W500, it has the typical cold start focus issue but no CA or light bleed issues, at least not on the unit I received.

I find that a little difficult to believe. Do you have a camera that can take an acceptable close up shot of a white cross on a black background? Do you not see any light outside the image if you hold it close to a wall/screen?

Quote:

No Sharpness, Saturation or Tint adjustments like the Acer. Instead just a Color Temp.

These only show up on digital in non-native resolution like 720p, at least on my Acer. I don't know why why. Maybe the logic is that only a computer will output 1280x800 and these settings can be controlled there.

As the manual puts it: "Note: 'Saturation' and 'Tint' functions are not supported under computer mode or HDMI mode." (Which is wrong, as they do show up on 720p HDMI here. I'm not sure what the actual logic it uses to decide is.)

Quote:

Interesting enough it shows Sharpness, Saturation and Hue adjustments in the Owner's manual, so where da h3ll are they?

Sharpness/hue are composite/s-video options (VGA also has sharpness along with position, frequency and tracking).

Quote:

Has a User Color Mode, I'm unsure what this is, there are no individual adjustments for it.

On the Acer "user" is the preset that let's you chane settings like brightness. If you try to change these in any other preset you're automatically sent to user.
post #95 of 289 Old 11-12-2011, 03:25 PM

You're right, I didn't play with it enough to notice that adjusting brightness kicks me over to user mode.

Are your Sharpness, Hue and Saturation settings greyed out and only unlock under certain circumstances or do they magically appear and disappear in the menu.

I can try to take a pic, put a link or a file of the cross in a post.

When you get close to the wall, isn't that the light bouncing of the wall, then reflecting off the lens back onto the wall? Am I missing something?
post #96 of 289 Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does handle a 1920x1080 desktop very well via HDMI, as well as videos inputting at that resolution. Also, I've gamed a lil in 3D 1280x720 by spoofing the .inf, handles it well. I have not been able to try 3D Blu-ray playback yet nor have I tried playing back files of any type.

Over vga or hdmi? wanna try this on the ml500.

(fifth element)
post #97 of 289 Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Yes, connect your PC using HDMI or DVI to HDMI. You can run cleartype, it does help. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...uner/tune.aspx
I also bump the zoom on my desktop to 125%, I like it for the additional real estate.
post #98 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
heres a pattern to test chromatic aberation and maybe light leakage. i am very thankful to every owner taking a close up shot to see if we have finally a satisfying pj without big ca issues.

"I have the PLED-W500, it has the typical cold start focus issue but no CA or light bleed issues, at least not on the unit I received." <---- sounds promising

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #99 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:

Are your Sharpness, Hue and Saturation settings greyed out and only unlock under certain circumstances or do they magically appear and disappear in the menu.

They magically appear and disappear.

Quote:

When you get close to the wall, isn't that the light bouncing of the wall, then reflecting off the lens back onto the wall? Am I missing something?

No. There should be picture in one of the threads, but I can't find it now. I'll see if I can take one later. It's not something I consider a problem though.
post #100 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley View Post

They magically appear and disappear.

The only time that I see these controls is through my Roku XDS box - HDMI out at both 720p and 1080p Roku settings.
post #101 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post

heres a pattern to test chromatic aberation and maybe light leakage. i am very thankful to every owner taking a close up shot to see if we have finally a satisfying pj without big ca issues.

"I have the PLED-W500, it has the typical cold start focus issue but no CA or light bleed issues, at least not on the unit I received." <---- sounds promising

At what distance and lens focal point?

Anybody know what the typical range is for sub $1000 units? Or what is considered "good". Or are we expecting results of higher end projectors?
post #102 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 AM

There's a convergence test grid in the service manual, under optical settings. If you would please take a pic of it as well, it's the cross that's refered to, that was in a pic posted in a different thread. For whatever reason, I get an error and can not upload a photo.
Now that I found the test pattern and looked. I do see CA on the pattern, but I do not see it transferring over into text or pics, like I did with the Qumi.
post #103 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

Over vga or hdmi? wanna try this on the ml500.

Oops, were you refering to 3d? If so I was using an Nvidia GPU via the VGA port. I was spoofing an Acer inf like in this article http://translate.google.com/translat...t-3d-vision%2F
Here's another way to do it http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20741203
post #104 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbi555 View Post

At what distance and lens focal point?

just throwing under normal conditions and take a close up pic from the cross pattern. chromatic aberation means you wont see clearly white lines but with colored edges.
post #105 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM

[quote=... chromatic aberation means you wont see clearly white lines but with colored edges.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I am familiar with CA, just trying to get a sense of how I would interpret any results. I am sure there will be some CA (given this is not a high end lens, by any means) - but is there a way of quantifying the results in the world of home projection; i.e. how this translates to video quality? Also, if someone takes a photo of the pattern, will any potential CA from their camera propagate this effect in the captured photo?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Also - does anyone know how to make adjustments to the individual colors in the service menu?
post #106 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Presumably you can use your eyes to tell whether the picture the camera takes is an accurate enough representative of what your eyes see...
post #107 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 AM

Have any of you guys given any thought to stopping down ("diy iris") the lenses on these units? Personnally I would be happy to trade off some lumens for extra sharpness, contrast and less CA ... possibly?
post #108 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 PM

I found the post refering to light leakage, and no I'm not seeing this. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21155604
And here's the page where they talk about CA and dithering. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1344147&page=7
These are both on the Acer K330 thread.

My HDMI handshake issue seems to mostly related to the HDMI in port, I wiggle it and it instantly clears up. This is unrelated though to the 6-10 second signal searching it does when I do things like minimize or maximize windows media center.
post #109 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM

For any of those interested in 3D, you need to check out the soon to be released 3DFury, looks very promising for projector owners. Especially those wanting to do a passive dual projector setup http://3dfury.com/?page_id=30
post #110 of 289 Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Presumably you can use your eyes to tell whether the picture the camera takes is an accurate enough representative of what your eyes see...

I guess I can - I was asking "for entertainment purposes only".
post #111 of 289 Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Both pictures were taken at 300 mm zoom. One at the throw distance, the other at 1/2 of the throw distance.

Let me know if these were done correctly.

Is this comparable to other projectors in this price range (or is this worse)?
LL
LL
post #112 of 289 Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbi555 View Post

Both pictures were taken at 300 mm zoom. One at the throw distance, the other at 1/2 of the throw distance.

Let me know if these were done correctly.

Is this comparable to other projectors in this price range (or is this worse)?

very well. thank you.

from left to right

optoma ml500, vivitek qumi, acer k330, viewsonic pled w500 and nec l50w

so in my opionion its easy to see acer and viewsonic have better lenses. maybe acer is a little bit up ahead, but the shoots are from different distances. considering the warranty and maybe 720p 3d functionality viewsonic is still my favorite. hoping its soon available in germany
post #113 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

optoma ml500, acer k330 and viewsonic pled w500 all have the same lens so........

(fifth element)
post #114 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

optoma ml500, acer k330 and viewsonic pled w500 all have the same lens so........

so where are the differences from? other part(s) of the optics? or just based on different capture-environment (cameras etc.)?
post #115 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 AM

It is really this same optic unit ?
My Optomas looking that:

Optoma has no cover lens cap, so may by is answer - no cap - worst lens ??
post #116 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 AM

Liked: 11
Hi guys

open question to all owners of the Viewsonic PLED W500. Overall what do you think of the projector ? pros and cons ? are you happy with your purchase ?

ps. Jumbi thanks for second You tube Vid,more always welcome. Just the colour flashes and it sharpness seems to be slight issue , is that just me being pedantic ?
post #117 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post

so where are the differences from? other part(s) of the optics? or just based on different capture-environment (cameras etc.)?

They all look the same to me. In my opinion it's pretty obvious that the difference in the pictures is down to the cameras. The images are out of focus to various degrees. The first and last image for instance are clearly very much out of focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post

It is really this same optic unit ?

In all likelihood, yes. The projector is designed by a third party and it's very unlikely that any of the manufacturers have made any major changes to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabba235 View Post

Optoma has no cover lens cap, so may by is answer - no cap - worst lens ??

The lens cap is a piece of plastic that goes in front of the lens. It's not part of the lens assembly in any way.
post #118 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Hi guys

open question to all owners of the Viewsonic PLED W500. Overall what do you think of the projector ? pros and cons ? are you happy with your purchase ?

ps. Jumbi thanks for second You tube Vid,more always welcome. Just the colour flashes and it sharpness seems to be slight issue , is that just me being pedantic ?

The you-tube clip is not truly representative of the actual video. The "flashes" of color (or colour as I used to spell it in my younger years) - are caused by my video camera. It is NOT evident on my screen. As far as the focus, my camera was on autofocus - so when the scene on the video switches rapidly, the camera loses focus momentarily.

As for your "open question" - my other display is a Pioneer Elite Plasma. Since I bought the Viewsonic, I have not watched a single movie on my plasma - that should say it all. The biggest con for me is the "6-10 seconds to reaquire signals" (as mentioned earlier by 3DNEWB) when resizing the video, or switching sources - but I can live with that.
post #119 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

anomoly and others have said these pjs are made by optomas parents cortronics and young optics.

(fifth element)
post #120 of 289 Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:

The lens cap is a piece of plastic that goes in front of the lens. It's not part of the lens assembly in any way.

I know that

But my pj has massive CA, just like in travis_bickle photo, and another clones don't. Why ?

Cover cap suggest better lens.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pled W500 80 Inch 720p Front Projector Black , New Led Projector 1280x800 500 Lumens 3500 1 Pled W500
Gear in this thread - W500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page