Viewsonic's up and coming 500 lumen LED Projector:

PLED-W500 LED WXGA Portable DLP® Projector

1280x800 native resolution

500 ANSI lumens

2000:1 contrast ratio

LED light source up to 20000 hours

See less See more
#4 ·
Compared to its clones, the Optoma ML-500 and Acer K330, am i the only one who feels that the odd orientation of the control panel on the Viewsonic PLED-W500 scream "cheap Chinese aesthetic design" ? Why have it placed at such an odd angle ?

As i posted before, unless there are substantial difference in menu options, specifically video calibration controls and/or unit turns out to be poorly designed (Qumi + focus issues), aesthetically speaking i am all over the Optoma ML-500, my upcoming new 500 lumens LED projector, hopefully...

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/0

Compared to its clones, the Optoma ML-500 and Acer K330, am i the only one who feels that the odd orientation of the control panel on the Viewsonic PLED-W500 scream "cheap Chinese aesthetic design" ? Why have it placed at such an odd angle ?

As i posted before, unless there are substantial difference in menu options, specifically video calibration controls and/or unit turns out to be poorly designed (Qumi + focus issues), aesthetically speaking i am all over the Optoma ML-500, my upcoming new 500 lumens LED projector, hopefully...

It's my number 1 led projector. I was thinking about the Casio which is a lot brighter, but every reviewer gives it bad reviews. With my HP screen, I think its a good combo on a 120in screen

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 /forum/post/20767521

It's my number 1 led projector. I was thinking about the Casio which is a lot brighter, but every reviewer gives it bad reviews.

Art Feierman gave it runner up 2 years in a row in its class,the casio is a whole different level above.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/0

Art Feierman gave it runner up 2 years in a row in its class,the casio is a whole different level above.

I message him about it has a hdtv projector and he said it won't give me the HD quality that I am looking for. And who knows if these 500 lumens will. I'm used to my Marantz for hdtv. I don't know, I'm not hoping for excellent HD with these led projectors but I want the best from these 500 lumen led projectors or the Casio. I was about to buy one of the casios about 3 times but every time I do, its always a new review that I come across. The owners of the Casio loves them, that's why I'm on the fence and waiting to hear about these clones compared to the casios.

#9 ·
1022$ FROM Chinese Yuan Renminbi(CNY 6580.00)

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qin66 /forum/post/20771604

QUMI Q2 in china CNY 5600.00

869.31 usd

#14 ·
869.31 usd is the qumi price in china

#17 ·
RBE and CA should not be lumped together -2 different things .

#19 ·
That 30"~80" diagonal maximum screen size spec cannot be right, it doesn't even make sense considering that currently sold 250~300 lumens LED presentation pjs such as the LG HX350T are spec'd for screens up to 80" diagonal and these 500 lumens pjs should be considerably brighter.

My understanding is that they are recommended for screens up to 120" diagonal, although i'd imagine that a high-gain screen would help matters as well.

Looking at the picture, it could very well be that the rest of the spec sheet listing sizes up to 120" diagonal was simply cut off due to space limitations...

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/20773412

That 30"~80" diagonal maximum screen size spec cannot be right, it doesn't even make sense considering that currently sold 250~300 lumens LED presentation pjs such as the LG HX350T are spec'd for screens up to 80" diagonal and these 500 lumens pjs should be considerably brighter.

My understanding is that they are recommended for screens up to 120" diagonal, although i'd imagine that a high-gain screen would help matters as well.

Looking at the picture, it could very well be that the rest of the spec sheet listing sizes up to 120" diagonal was simply cut off due to space limitations...

Anyone know what the light-source is? Is it the PT-54 driven to death, or the PT-120?

#21 ·
Red: 600-1,050 lumens

Green: 1,275-2,150 lumens

Blue: 275-480 lumens

54 can easly handle it

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/20774595

Red: 600-1,050 lumens

Green: 1,275-2,150 lumens

Blue: 275-480 lumens

54 can easly handle it

If this is the case I have a hypothetical question to put on the table.

If they are indeed using the PT-54 lightsource, I've read somewhere that this was made for 4:3 aspect ratios. In addition, I've also read that the newer 1280x800 TI chipset is smaller than the older XGA chipset.

If I am imagining this right, doesn't this mean that there is "excess" space in the upper and lower parts of the chipset when it's lined up with the PT-54 light source?

Following this, doesn't mean that they'd need to put some form of physical bar (e.g., plastic, metal?) to block out the excess light source due to the 4:3 ratio? Otherwise, wouldn't you get a square-box image regardless of the 1280x800 resolution?

THEN, can this "restricted" (from a physical placement perspective) light output affect max-focal range?

Just letting my mind go wild here.
Or I could be completely wrong in that focus range is distinct from light-output.

P.S. All of this assumes that I read it correctly previously that the new 1280x800 chipset is smaller than the current XGA chipset.

#23 ·
Until we can find more detail specs for these projectors, we really won't know what light engine they are using.

I trow my hands up in the air because I still have not found anymore information on these new 500 Lumens projectors to give us any idea what light engine they are using, or the size of the TI Pico chipset.

I am just going out on a limb here and take a guess, yes, I could be wrong, but, I would guess they are using the PT-120.

Most of the time ? don't they post the specs of the size of the micro mirror chip ?

#24 ·
pt120 is for full size chips starting at .65-why are we going down this road again?The led is just a light source, lens and chip do all the sizing the 54 is.5 and 720p pico chip is .4.

#25 ·
I agree with DLPProjectorfan, as of now no one can unequivocally state that these upcoming 500 lumens LED pjs will be using the PT-54 or the PT-120 chipset, is all conjecture until we hear from the manufacturers or from Luminus Devices.

My impression is that they will be using the PT-120 chipset considering that current 250~300 lumens LED pjs are using the PT-54 chipset and the fact that the Samsung FM10 3LCD/LED pj also uses the PT-120.

Again, why would a pj manufacturer use the lower brightness PT-54 and run it harder/hotter (if that is even suggested or recommended by Luminus Devices) when for a few dollars more they can get the PT-120 chipset ?

My understanding is that manufacturers can purchase the PT-120 chipset in very large quantities anywhere from $150 to $175 per chipset, and by that they mean all three R/G/B LED chips per package.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.