Mits HD1000 vs HC4000 Brightness? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have searched through the forums but can't find an answer to my specific question.

I have a Mitsubishi HD1000 and though I really like it, I'm thinking about maybe upgrading to an HC4000 but I'm concerned about brightness.

I have the HD1000 in a family room with very poor light control - white walls/ceiling, 3 windows, 2 skylights, and a 6ft slider. I can cover all the windows but as you might imagine the room only gets really dark after the sun goes down. And I live the Pacific NW where it's light out until 9:30pm in the summer.

The HD1000 has less than 800 hours on the lamp so it hasn't yet begun to dim (except for the initial break-in period) and is just bright enough for my setup. So as long as HC4000 is at least as bright as what I have now it will be fine (though I wouldn't mind a bit more). But if it's any dimmer I don't think it will work for me.

Has anyone had enough experience with both of these units to know how they compare in brightness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRob View Post
I have searched through the forums but can't find an answer to my specific question.

I have a Mitsubishi HD1000 and though I really like it, I'm thinking about maybe upgrading to an HC4000 but I'm concerned about brightness.

I have the HD1000 in a family room with very poor light control - white walls/ceiling, 3 windows, 2 skylights, and a 6ft slider. I can cover all the windows but as you might imagine the room only gets really dark after the sun goes down. And I live the Pacific NW where it's light out until 9:30pm in the summer.

The HD1000 has less than 800 hours on the lamp so it hasn't yet begun to dim (except for the initial break-in period) and is just bright enough for my setup. So as long as HC4000 is at least as bright as what I have now it will be fine (though I wouldn't mind a bit more). But if it's any dimmer I don't think it will work for me.

Has anyone had enough experience with both of these units to know how they compare in brightness?
What size screen....that might help someone to answer the ?

War Eagle!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. My screen is about 90" diagonal and has a gain of about 1.3 I think. It's actually just a sheet of this thin white laminated board that I got at a hardware store for $15. It works great with no hotspots. I trimmed it out with some black felt tape.

I will be using the same screen and ceiling mount so I think the only differences should be in the projectors themselves.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
I'm considering the same upgrade and have read the HC4000 is not as bright as the HD1000. I have a dark theater - the HD1000 at low lamp mode seems to have the right amount of brightness and I'm concerned about reducing it.

From ProjectorCentral reviews:

Quote:

The HD1000U is not just a low-cost 720p projector; it is also capable of high lumen output. When calibrated for cinema and in high lamp mode, our test unit measured 802 ANSI lumens. This can be brought higher by boosting BrilliantColor or by changing the gamma settings out of Cinema mode, but this mode presented a good compromise between bright light output and excellent color performance. Dropping the lamp into low power mode while keeping the same settings nets 620 ANSI lumens, and dropping BrilliantColor to zero in low lamp mode results in 490 ANSI lumens.

Quote:

HC4000: For the best possible picture quality for film and video without calibration, here's how it's done: using Cinema mode, pick the Medium color temperature preset--that's it, you're done. This mode yields excellent contrast and very good color accuracy for a factory preset, along with 560 lumens with the lamp at full power. Dropping the lamp to its lower-powered setting reduces lumen output in this and every mode by 21% for a new reading of 442 lumens.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 10
Any additional comments on this thread ... this leads me to believe that the HC4000 is slightly dimmer than the HD1000 ... which amazes me that Mits would do that !!!
post #6 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckster View Post

Any additional comments on this thread ... this leads me to believe that the HC4000 is slightly dimmer than the HD1000 ... which amazes me that Mits would do that !!![/quote

I still have my mitsubishi hd 1000 and it a great projector but if you want something with more brightness and with a better over all picture the optoma hd 20 witch i had for a month or so was the one to get. Definitly brighter than the mits 1000 u.

Good luck

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
tank01
It's a little bit more complicated than just the brightness. Tuckster just bought the pro8200 a few days ago and likes the brightness of the pro8200, but is not satisfied with the blackness. I think the optuma hd 20 and pro8200 would be about the same in blackness. And from your sig, the optoma hd20 didn't do it for you, you got the epson 8500ub, right?
I think, Tuckster is feeling the same way as you did with your hd20, brighter but not enough "blacker". How are you liking the epson 8500ub, do you think that would be good for him.
Now with the pro8200, it's super bright when you first get it, SUPER bright, but it does tone down some after about 100 hours or so, and then at 500 hours gets really good and gets better and better. I have 250 hours on my bulb after 9 months, and it settled down for me. Which really is good news, since the pro8200 gets 6,000 hours on bulb, and the lowest setting "works".
Tuckster might have to go up the foodchain and get a next grade up, and spend 1,300-1,600 to get brightness and blackness that would satisfy the PJ craving. Any suggestions for him. Coderguy suggested the optuma hd33 and the benq w6000, but there are no w6000 refurbs or used models anywhere in stock at the moment, I checked for someone else a few days ago.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

tank01
It's a little bit more complicated than just the brightness. Tuckster just bought the pro8200 a few days ago and likes the brightness of the pro8200, but is not satisfied with the blackness. I think the optuma hd 20 and pro8200 would be about the same in blackness. And from your sig, the optoma hd20 didn't do it for you, you got the epson 8500ub, right?
I think, Tuckster is feeling the same way as you did with your hd20, brighter but not enough "blacker". How are you liking the epson 8500ub, do you think that would be good for him.
Now with the pro8200, it's super bright when you first get it, SUPER bright, but it does tone down some after about 100 hours or so, and then at 500 hours gets really good and gets better and better. I have 250 hours on my bulb after 9 months, and it settled down for me. Which really is good news, since the pro8200 gets 6,000 hours on bulb, and the lowest setting "works".
Tuckster might have to go up the foodchain and get a next grade up, and spend 1,300-1,600 to get brightness and blackness that would satisfy the PJ craving. Any suggestions for him. Coderguy suggested the optuma hd33 and the benq w6000, but there are no w6000 refurbs or used models anywhere in stock at the moment, I checked for someone else a few days ago.

I bought the epson 8500u refurb from epson for 1100.00 plus taxe here in Canada, i'm really satisfied, the brightness is on par with the hd20 but the blacks are on a class apart. The bars from watching 2:35 movies on a 16:9 screen are truly black no masking needed for my taste. The blacks from the hd 20 are similar to the Mitsubishi hd 1000u except that the hd20 is brighter and the black bars seem to be brighter as well.

Definitely the next step up with a projector is to go for something with an iris, but not all projectors with an iris will give you the BLACK bars. My brother has the epson 8350 and the bars were just as grey as the hd 20 or the mitsubishi hd1000u. My vote goes out for the epson 8500 ub or 8700 ub, refurbs from epson come with a two year warranty if the new ones are out of your budget.

infocus 4805, mitsubishi hd1000, optoma hd 20 for one month, and now epson 8500ub
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page