Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM
cvh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy1010 View Post

Just a thought, did you try to clean the lens? perhaps it's simply a bit of moisture or dirt causing the blur.

Did clean the lens, but did not check for moisture. Cant imagine there would be moisture though. My projector is ceiling mounted so lots of airflow. Nothing around it.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post

Anybody out there have issues with edge to egde focus. One side being more in focus than the other on HD33.

i think someone earlier in the thread noted that with lenses like these on projector that cost less than 10K that it's rare to get perfect focus across a large screen. i notice a very very slight loss of focus around one of my edges but if you are experiencing a lack of focus on half the screen i'd say that either something is wrong with your unit, or that it's mounted/placed in a less than ideal throw area.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
cvh

The problem with. My image is the the right side is crisp, middle softer, left even softer. It gets worse from right to left. Thats why i think something wrong. I dont really noyice it on movies. Its ehen i use things like ps3 where there is text across the screen or a game eith text on intros and left side text.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Liked: 10
I have a problem, using the test pattern grid, all lines show up but not the top horizontal one, does this mean the lamp is about to fail or?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

I have a problem, using the test pattern grid, all lines show up but not the top horizontal one, does this mean the lamp is about to fail or?

I've seen this happen with too much V image shift.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post

I've seen this happen with too much V image shift.

I'm not using any v image shift, all set at 0.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 AM

Hi All, any more advice on the below:

"Was hoping if someone can advise (I am a very technical AV enthusiast but could not quite find the comparison i am looking for and have not been following too much on the projectors recently)

I am thinking of getting the HD33 because of the 3D which is supposed to be excellent, my questions are:

1) I own and absolutely adore the Optoma HD81 with the external scaler. This projector has an amazing 2D image probably because of the scaler (a now old projector but used to cost £2700 when new).
Now my worry is loosing this excellent 2D image if the 2D image of this HD33 3D projector is not as good (I am hoping the new 3D projectors being established now have better 2D then the older expensive projectors that were 2D only)

My Screen is an 88" Stewart Firehawk Luxus Deluxe (original/G2 not G3)"
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM
cvh

Anybody using this screen. looks promising.
Elitech 120" Electric Screen 16:9 HDTV Format High Contrast Grey

Also, yousafm, I would suggest you try the HD33 and if not liked, return it.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousafm View Post

Hi All, any more advice on the below:

"Was hoping if someone can advise (I am a very technical AV enthusiast but could not quite find the comparison i am looking for and have not been following too much on the projectors recently)

I am thinking of getting the HD33 because of the 3D which is supposed to be excellent, my questions are:

1) I own and absolutely adore the Optoma HD81 with the external scaler. This projector has an amazing 2D image probably because of the scaler (a now old projector but used to cost £2700 when new).
Now my worry is loosing this excellent 2D image if the 2D image of this HD33 3D projector is not as good (I am hoping the new 3D projectors being established now have better 2D then the older expensive projectors that were 2D only)

My Screen is an 88" Stewart Firehawk Luxus Deluxe (original/G2 not G3)"

Also, yousafm, I would suggest you try the HD33 and if not liked, return it.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
cvh

Guitarman, any input on the edge to edge focus on the HD33?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

I'm not using any v image shift, all set at 0.

Have you set Edge feather to = 0 (not sure what the menu calls it off the top of head). Also put your aspect ratio to: Native and not 16X9. 16x9 on the HD33 zooms the image a little. Not the true aspect ratio of the HD33. When I did this I was able to see more image due to the clipping of the 16x9 Aspect setting.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
Is there a 3D test grid?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Guitarman, any input on the edge to edge focus on the HD33?

Looking at a white pattern my HD3300 can show all the pixels clear but the HD3300 has the best hand picked parts. If they say they can tweak your HD33 I'd send it in.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

i wish my 3300 had the best hand-picked firmware.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Looking at a white pattern my HD3300 can show all the pixels clear but the HD3300 has the best hand picked parts. If they say they can tweak your HD33 I'd send it in.

called tech support, getting RMA and will send it in. They will tweak optics and update firmware to CO4. hope the update does not screw things up. But chk my post above about dealing with Optoma Tech Support.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

called tech support, getting RMA and will send it in. They will tweak optics and update firmware to CO4. hope the update does not screw things up. But chk my post above about dealing with Optoma Tech Support.

yeah, i got nothing but attitude from the guy i spoke to a couple of times about trying to update my firmware. it was some of the worst customer service i've ever experienced, and this is coming from a comcast customer lol
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

yeah, i got nothing but attitude from the guy i spoke to a couple of times about trying to update my firmware. it was some of the worst customer service i've ever experienced, and this is coming from a comcast customer lol

what firmware did you receive. they will updat e mine to co4. any issues with your update

Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what firmware did you receive. they will updat e mine to co4. any issues with your update

i have co2. i don't have any major issues, some occasional lockups that require the unit to be unplugged (usually triggered by a source being turned off while i am still on that input) and the glitch where puremotion is triggered in 3d even if I have it set to off, but that may not even be something co4 fixes. i believe starting at co3 they addressed the lockups, no idea what co4 does.

since others have been reporting much bigger problems around the 750-1000 hour mark (lines on the screen, etc), i'm hesitant to send it in for something until i have a REAL problem.

their very long turnaround time also has made me lean towards waiting for a "real" problem to happen before sending it in to them.

but i think their customer service needs a firmware update.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

i have co2. i don't have any major issues, some occasional lockups that require the unit to be unplugged (usually triggered by a source being turned off while i am still on that input) and the glitch where puremotion is triggered in 3d even if I have it set to off, but that may not even be something co4 fixes. i believe starting at co3 they addressed the lockups, no idea what co4 does.

since others have been reporting much bigger problems around the 750-1000 hour mark (lines on the screen, etc), i'm hesitant to send it in for something until i have a REAL problem.

their very long turnaround time also has made me lean towards waiting for a "real" problem to happen before sending it in to them.

but i think their customer service needs a firmware update.

I have had c03 since i bought it and have had zero issues with operation, except for edge to edge focus.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like they can tweak the light chamber focus, you know DMD chip towards the lens. Let us know how it goes. I'm still at Co2 don't really see any problems. I get the full grid, focus is sharp, no lockups, no video problems, no reason to send it in.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
cvh

Has Anybody had their HD33 or HD3300 updated to C04 and if so, what is the difference from say, CO3?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Co4 adds better 3D for owners that use an anamorphic lens. Eliminates artifacts brought on by using the lens. Not many users will need it.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM

What is a good animorphic lens for the 3300?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They're expensive, more than the HD3300 projector. Wings says they're coming out with a cheaper lens, one made of plastic, maybe get the price down under $1,000.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM

In that case count me out. Ouch
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

so i decided to ship my optoma in for the edge to edge focus issue. I called and they picked up in about 30 secs. Wow. Asked the tech a bunch of questions I had. I new of the information already from their webside. the more questions I asked, the more he began to chuckle like i was stupid or something. as if his buddy was beside him making fun of my concerns. I guess because they deal with this all the time, they have heard it all type of deal, but to actually chuckle and laugh while answering my serious question is just down right rude! I work for a law firm and I am an admiinistrative assisitant so i get the wackiest calls all day long of people doing the stupidest things you can imagine that gets them fined or arrested. I dont chuckle on the phone while talking to them while they tell me the stupid things they have done. And believe me, i have many a times wanted to bust out laughing and tell them, why are you so stupid, dont do the crime and you wont do the time. Just Saying!

This is scary and I will hope my 3300 continues to perform flawlessly. As guitarman, I am still on C02 and have no lockups, focus issues, etc.

Please let us know your experience going forward. This is simply unacceptable customer service. I hope I do not have to experience it myself.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I'm using an Anamorphic Research lens with my HD3300 that works quite well and it's less than 1k. Didn't know about the artifacts with an anamorphic lens and this PJ. What are these artifacts, specifically? Perhaps it's the nauseating blurriness that happens in fast scenes. I thought it was just the technology, but perhaps I'll have to upgrade to C04.

Oh, and it is truly fantastic to watch a 3D movie in cinemascope.

Edit: was reading that C04 fixes crosstalk in lbx mode, but for me the image is crystal clear, so there's no point in the firmware upgrade for me (using C02).

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

This is scary and I will hope my 3300 continues to perform flawlessly. As guitarman, I am still on C02 and have no lockups, focus issues, etc.

Please let us know your experience going forward. This is simply unacceptable customer service. I hope I do not have to experience it myself.

I sure will. Will send it in soon. I will let you all know the experience. Just have not shipped it because have been enjoying movies and 3d. I heard they have long turn arround time. Hard to go without proj.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Good day,
I am seriously thinking of getting the HD3300, and would like some advice from this wonderful team. 7 years ago, this forum was instrumental in me building my home theater. Very grateful for all the advice I have gotten in the past.

The old house is gone, and getting a new one built. This time is different - no dedicated room. Instead will have to use the rec/play room doubling as a theater room. It will be in a daylight basement, so am hoping with some black lined drapes I can minimize ambient light.

Right now, it does not look like ceiling mount is an option, so a coffee table may be my only option. Never did that before..

So my prior experience has been
Optoma H78 paired with Oppo (the earlier non-Blu-ray version) on a 106" greywolf screen. VERY HAPPY.

I am extremely concerned (quasi-obsessed) with PQ. Have absolutely no interest in 3D. Unless a pair of glasses comes with the machine, or someone gives a pair to me for a present, I can never see myself paying money to get one of those.

No sports. No TV. just DVDs and Blu-Rays. That's it.

I don't play games. My daughter has a Wii, but thinking she will probably do that on a TV in another room. So I am planning on a fixed screen.

The only complaint I had with the H78 was that it was rarely bright enough for me. And once it started to dim, I had low tolerance for the image and typically bought new bulbs pretty quick. That said, when the image was bright I was ecstatic.

Based on this, would the HD3300 be good? Is the HD3300 considered an upgrade to the H78?

I looked at the specs on the Epson 3010/5010 (the wireless version was obviously very attractive for me) but I just can't fall in love any LCD images I have seen... Guess DLP has me!

And does having the PJ on a coffee table impact this decision? Assuming the table goes in front of where we sit? (Sorry, only had ceiling mount before). Guess the HDMI wire will have to run on the carpet to the equipment in the front of the room. ugh. Is this okay to be on a table rather than a high shelf (which definitely won't work).

Appreciate your esteemed thoughts in this matter.

Thank you.
Steve
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 140
If you must mount it on the coffee table, I would try to get a coffee table with a lower shelf and mount it in that, then route the cables underneath the coffee table, under your couch, then along the baseboards. I hate seeing wires, and I like tripping on them even less. That said, you will see a phenomenal improvement in comparison. You are getting:

1280x720 = 921 600 pixels vs 1920x1080 = 2 073 600 pixels in the same screen size. What this means is a much clearer image (that, and you can sit closer before you begin to see pixelation, so it's more immersive). You may not like 3D, but the processing power needed to run the 3D also means a much cleaner 2D image. It is leaps and bounds above my old BenQ W5000 (a 1080p unit). It is the cleanest image I've ever seen. Amazingly, the 3D image is even more clean/clear than the 2D one. I'm not sure about black levels, but your H78 is a Dark Chip 3 and may trump the HD3300. The blacks are plenty fine for me, though.

About brightness, it is definitely plenty bright. Especially if you plan on having it in a coffee table in front of you. Good luck!

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors