Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Looking at Art's menu images, Gamma and Color controls that guitarman showed here are available on HD33.

That is correct - the user manual shows those menu options.

Apparently color/tint are available only for a "video" source. Wonder whether art used a RGB source.

Colorspace options like RGB(0-255) only with HDMI.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
I have the HD66 and 3DXL and have not experienced any ghosting through a considerable quantity of 3D DVD's, SBS files, and about 6 months of Directv 3D broadcasts. I only have the DLP glasses at this time so no experience with ir/rf glasses.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: 3D crosstalk
I had thought that since a few of the 720p projectors use DC3 (Acer H5360), whereas this projector is DC2, perhaps the DC3 is better suited to displaying a 120Hz signal with no ghosting/crosstalk. But then I noticed that the HD66 is DC2, so maybe the 3D-XL has better processing. As the HD33/00 becomes available, hopefully a consensus will form.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuk View Post

Re: 3D crosstalk
I had thought that since a few of the 720p projectors use DC3 (Acer H5360), whereas this projector is DC2, perhaps the DC3 is better suited to displaying a 120Hz signal with no ghosting/crosstalk. But then I noticed that the HD66 is DC2, so maybe the 3D-XL has better processing. As the HD33/00 becomes available, hopefully a consensus will form.

I doubt if 3DXL has anything to do with crosstalk (for that matter any 3D bluray player, I could be wrong)...cross talk mainly has to do with the combination of projector/TV's refresh rates and that of the glasses and how well they are in sync and the isolation of the glasses when they close off the shutter.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
As far as something undesireable viewing 3D, I haven't seen it yet. Projector Central guys get allot of projectors their review didn't sound too negative. They said blacks are like the HD20 but super sharpness and a 2D image that looks 3D (pops off the screen) are upgrades over the HD20, plus you get 1080p 3D.

"The HD33 strikes a good balance between light transmission and crosstalk, which we saw very little of. The glasses never lost sync thanks to the RF transmitter--turn your head away or look down at the remote and the glasses keep on going. In the past, we have seen IR glasses lose sync at the slightest provocation. Color in 3D is about as accurate as we've seen, though the glasses do add a slight tint of green to the image. Since the HD33 has a separate 3D preset, this can be calibrated out if desired. All in all, it was one of the more enjoyable 3D experiences we've had in the home, regardless of price."

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Liked: 13
[quote=guitarman;20885359]As far as something undesireable viewing 3D, I haven't seen it yet. Projector Central guys get allot of projectors their review didn't sound too negative. They said blacks are like the HD20 but super sharpness and a 2D image that looks 3D (pops off the screen) are upgrades over the HD20, plus you get 1080p 3D.

"The HD33 strikes a good balance between light transmission and crosstalk, which we saw very little of. The glasses never lost sync thanks to the RF transmitter--turn your head away or look down at the remote and the glasses keep on going. In the past, we have seen IR glasses lose sync at the slightest provocation. Color in 3D is about as accurate as we've seen, though the glasses do add a slight tint of green to the image. Since the HD33 has a separate 3D preset, this can be calibrated out if desired. All in all, it was one of the more enjoyable 3D experiences we've had in the home, regardless of price."[/QUOTE]

That is high praise when you consider the cost of the HD33 and HD3300 compared to the other 1080P 3D projectors.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

As far as something undesireable viewing 3D, I haven't seen it yet. Projector Central guys get allot of projectors their review didn't sound too negative. They said blacks are like the HD20 but super sharpness and a 2D image that looks 3D (pops off the screen) are upgrades over the HD20, plus you get 1080p 3D.

"The HD33 strikes a good balance between light transmission and crosstalk, which we saw very little of. The glasses never lost sync thanks to the RF transmitter--turn your head away or look down at the remote and the glasses keep on going. In the past, we have seen IR glasses lose sync at the slightest provocation. Color in 3D is about as accurate as we've seen, though the glasses do add a slight tint of green to the image. Since the HD33 has a separate 3D preset, this can be calibrated out if desired. All in all, it was one of the more enjoyable 3D experiences we've had in the home, regardless of price."

It's just that they keep mentioning "crosstalk" albeit a "little" amount. However, you have been using the same projector for ten days now and you haven't seen any evidence of it. One thing I am curious about though: Are you detecting any of the RED PUSH that projector reviews commenting about and was clearly evident in the pictures they posted?????

thanks

atabea
Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Reviewers, IMO, are afraid to say that there's absolutely no crosstalk -- why would they talk in absolutes since they just might be wrong. I can't speak for 1080p 3D DLP yet, but 720p 3D DLP has no crosstalk that I have seen. It is amazing. If 1080p 3D DLP has crosstalk (which I doubt) then the 720p 3D DLPs may be the way to go.

Can someone post a link to Art's review? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd33/index.php

He said he sees as much crosstalk as the jvc lcos.

Here is also a quote from his Sharp Z17000 review:

"Over all, the Sharp's 3D looks pretty good. Definitely some crosstalk (there always is) type "noise". Let's face it, 3D content, be it Avatar in IMAX or The Universe (in 3D) at home, the 3D image is not as smooth and transparent as 2D. Whether it's the brain, the projector, the content, or magic, 3D is rough around the edges. But, it's still really cool to watch!"

Not sure what he is seeing here either. Doesn't really sound like ghosting. Rough around the edges? Hmmmm.....
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah my engineer friend is wondering how Art can see ghosting when he can't. I can't either just watched allot more of Resident Evil over comcast and couldn't see anything, looked at a video game demo and nothing actually there was a ton of fast movement and the PJ handled it great. Then I put on A Xmas Carol wow did that 3D picture look great and it's not the blu ray version. If there's more 3D like that coming out I'll have to get this projector.

I don't see any red push, maybe they didn't get the contrast down enough. My contrast for 2D had to be lowered to -18 or was it -15 anyway looking over DVE contrast pattern you could see red crushing in the very high IRE's. Only at -18 or whatever would the red bleed disapear.

Viewing Resident Evil I even added one number on the pure engines pure color which made the picture look better to me. That seems to add a little red.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Reviewers, IMO, are afraid to say that there's absolutely no crosstalk -- why would they talk in absolutes since they just might be wrong. I can't speak for 1080p 3D DLP yet, but 720p 3D DLP has no crosstalk that I have seen. It is amazing. If 1080p 3D DLP has crosstalk (which I doubt) then the 720p 3D DLPs may be the way to go.

Good points Deja and I hope you turn out to be right about 1080p being as crosstalk-free as 720p. With regard to speaking in absolutes, however, the reviewer was not shy in stating a bunch of findings such as----the rf glasses NEVER lost sync; the glasses added a slight TINT; and also the red tint in skin tones while watching 2D (as evidenced in the pictures). The same thing goes for crosstalk--he either sees it or not--which should be stated as factually as the other observations.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah my engineer friend is wondering how Art can see ghosting when he can't. I can't either just watched allot more of Resident Evil over comcast and couldn't see anything, looked at a video game demo and nothing actually there was a ton of fast movement and the PJ handled it great. Then I put on A Xmas Carol wow did that 3D picture look great and it's not the blu ray version. If there's more 3D like that coming out I'll have to get this projector.

I don't see any red push, maybe they didn't get the contrast down enough. My contrast for 2D had to be lowered to -18 or was it -15 anyway looking over DVE contrast pattern you could see red crushing in the very high IRE's. Only at -18 or whatever would the red bleed disapear.

Viewing Resident Evil I even added one number on the pure engines pure color which made the picture look better to me. That seems to add a little red.

Thanks Guitarman, glad to hear you don't see any red push. That said, I am guessing the 3D performance alone makes this projector an awesome performer and value. please keep the comments and obversations coming as you continue to use the projector.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

"Over all, the Sharp's 3D looks pretty good. Definitely some crosstalk (there always is) type "noise". Let's face it, 3D content, be it Avatar in IMAX or The Universe (in 3D) at home, the 3D image is not as smooth and transparent as 2D. Whether it's the brain, the projector, the content, or magic, 3D is rough around the edges. But, it's still really cool to watch!"

Not sure what he is seeing here either. Doesn't really sound like ghosting. Rough around the edges? Hmmmm.....

Yeah, that whole review is contradictory and suspect!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sounds like he's saying he doesn't like home 3D on any projector that's all. If he loves Avatar they'll be more Avatar's. Personally the cable version of Christmas Carol surprised me, better than great I could live with that.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This projector has some ANSI contrast look at the pop in this picture, detail and color are killer.
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd33d65k2d3.jpg

I miss ansi contrast.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM

I'm sorry, but I haven't had time to read Art's review yet but is he seeing crosstalk because he is using ir or rf glasses and not DLP glasses? Could this be a factor?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a quote from Projector Central's review:

"The other noteworthy quality is the HD33's near absence of crosstalk. Even in the most difficult scenes, the HD33 did a remarkable job of keeping left-eye and right-eye images separate and distinct. This, more than anything, contributes to the high-quality, professional feel of 3D."

He sounds more familiar with what cross talk actually is caused by. I've noticed that professional reviewers are often times less experienced with 3d than many of us. I know many reviewers don't play video games. Yet, that usually will be a torture test for 3d displays.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I'll be very surprised if experienced members of this forum, who purchase this projector, complain about cross-talk. If they do, well then this one comes off my short list.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is a quote from Projector Central's review:

"The other noteworthy quality is the HD33's near absence of crosstalk. Even in the most difficult scenes, the HD33 did a remarkable job of keeping left-eye and right-eye images separate and distinct. This, more than anything, contributes to the high-quality, professional feel of 3D."

He sounds more familiar with what cross talk actually is caused by. I've noticed that professional reviewers are often times less experienced with 3d than many of us. I know many reviewers don't play video games. Yet, that usually will be a torture test for 3d displays.

Its a sin to refer to anything other than ghosting as cross-talk
Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 PM
HD-

It's easy to take a picture of the screen displaying a still 3D image, to show the crosstalk,
Someone who has the projector please post such picture
3D is a critical feature of this PJ.
I've been waiting for an "Affordable" 1080p 3D ever since I bought my 3d camera.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD- View Post

It's easy to take a picture of the screen displaying a still 3D image, to show the crosstalk,
Someone who has the projector please post such picture
3D is a critical feature of this PJ.
I've been waiting for an "Affordable" 1080p 3D ever since I bought my 3d camera.

Didn't know it was possible to do that.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's just going to be a out of sync blurred out image.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's just going to be a out of sync blurred out image.

well you will need to cover the camera lens with one of the sides of the glasses to remove the other image.....then if you can capture any ghosting as a faint double image (if any)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

well you will need to cover the camera lens with one of the sides of the glasses to remove the other image.....then if you can capture any ghosting as a faint double image (if any)

Whether this works depends on what happens to the glasses when you pause an video ...

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Preordered... Time to sell the Acer h5360 and viewsonic vp3d1...

Robert Clark
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Been there done that.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Hey old timer You'll love it, wife and I watched the Christmas Carol 3D just over the Comcast feed and it was great. Nothing to complain about here with me or my partner. Two more thumbs up on this projector. Wait till you see coloring and HD detail on some 3D.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I need a favor, you 3D users would know. I need a 3D player that has at least 5.1 analog audio outs. Right now I'm running HDMI sound out of a Onkyo 608 but my early Arcam stomps on every receiver I've had so far and need to get it back in the mix. I know of the Panny BD350 anything better?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I need a favor, you 3D users would know. I need a 3D player that has at least 5.1 analog audio outs. Right now I'm running HDMI sound out of a Onkyo 608 but my early Arcam stomps on every receiver I've had so far and need to get it back in the mix. I know of the Panny BD350 anything better?

Samsung BD-D6700 very decent 2D->3D (pana is a joke), dual HDMI to use with your non-3D AV, good internet apps
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

saw the following in comments for projectorcentral review...I have a HDMI 1.3, will i have issues with 1080p 3D ?

-----------
Posted Aug 26, 2011 8:59:55 PM
By Bugnguts
Great job Optoma. I hope this will bring down the price of 3d projection, but I really would like to try gaming in 3d. Unfortunately HDMI 1.4 cannot handle the 1080 at 60Hz plus. So until display port or something with higher bandwidth is supported I can't justify the leap.

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors