New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 134 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3991 of 5324 Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
blastermaster - i'll bet you my HD3300 that if you contact them about it they will try and say you are doing something wrong on your end and act exasperated. how long was the total turnaround time? now i wonder if a firmware update will actually fix my lockup issues.

ps - glad you like the ZD201s. i agree - 3d picture quality is phenomenal with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 5324 Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

blastermaster - i'll bet you my HD3300 that if you contact them about it they will try and say you are doing something wrong on your end and act exasperated.

I'll just come out and say it, their technician is a complete moron and they didn't take my complaint seriously. Quotes from the RMA work order form:

Quote:

Customer complaint: When viewing 3D half SBS content using an anamorphic lens the LBX mode is non-functional and stays as if it was 16:9.

Actual Symptom: Needs firmware upgrade:

Repair Description: Upgrade firmware to C04. Tested 3D and works fine.

First, they should have taken me seriously on the phone. If they knew what C04 did (clearly not fixing my problem), they shouldn't have told me to send it in to them in the first place.
Second, if I was the technician, I would have made sure I checked both the customer complaint and their lame translation of my complaint before signing my name on the paper.

Sorry for the rant. In the end, this is a fantastic projector despite this, but this broken feature is one of the main reasons I purchased this pj in the first place. I will give them a call and perhaps I'll record it.

post #3993 of 5324 Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the hd3300 is a great projector but their customer service is so bad that this will surely be my last Optoma projector. I've dealt with Epson and Infocus customer service in the past with other projectors and they were great. The difference is night and day.

I now am fairly certain that i will NOT be sending my co2 lockup-prone unit back to them. If I have a complete breakdown of the unit I will send it in, but not until then. If they don't even know what co4 does.. that's sad.

Blasterman had a very specific and easily tested/confirmed issue that he clearly articulated to them in his complaint and they didn't even check it after the firmware update. Plus labeling it as "customer complaint" is rather strange in the first place.
post #3994 of 5324 Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I can see RBE with 2D material. It's obvious and tho my wife doesn't see it, she does get a bit giddy watching 2D material where she doesn't on my JVC.

On 3D though, I can't see any RBE.

I use my JVC RS60 these days for 2D stuff and the HD33 for purely 3D.
post #3995 of 5324 Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I'll just come out and say it, their technician is a complete moron and they didn't take my complaint seriously. Quotes from the RMA work order form:

First, they should have taken me seriously on the phone. If they knew what C04 did (clearly not fixing my problem), they shouldn't have told me to send it in to them in the first place.
Second, if I was the technician, I would have made sure I checked both the customer complaint and their lame translation of my complaint before signing my name on the paper.

Sorry for the rant. In the end, this is a fantastic projector despite this, but this broken feature is one of the main reasons I purchased this pj in the first place. I will give them a call and perhaps I'll record it.

I'll ask Wing about the no letterbox for SBS, he'll know. I thought C04 worked on video anomalies not aspects.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #3996 of 5324 Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guitarman, where can I download the latest co4 version of the firmware? Or do we need to send in the projector for upgrade. Sorry if the question has been asked before.
post #3997 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll ask Wing about the no letterbox for SBS, he'll know. I thought C04 worked on video anomalies not aspects.

Cool, thanks Guitarman. As far as video anomalies, I didn't notice any on C02 FWIW.

post #3998 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
can i use RF glasses and DLP glasses at the same time or not?
post #3999 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

can i use RF glasses and DLP glasses at the same time or not?

Yes, with a few caveats. The first being contrast is poor and color filtering off when using the RF glasses due to the DLP link flash enabled. Secondly you may have to invert the sync for the RF glasses (either on the projector or within the tuning you can do on the RF emitter.)

Derek
post #4000 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post

Hi guitarman, where can I download the latest co4 version of the firmware? Or do we need to send in the projector for upgrade. Sorry if the question has been asked before.

When I call in I'll ask for it, but you'll have to already have Co2 on the machine.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4001 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"Customer complaint: When viewing 3D half SBS content using an anamorphic lens the LBX mode is non-functional and stays as if it was 16:9.

Actual Symptom: Needs firmware upgrade:

Repair Description: Upgrade firmware to C04. Tested 3D and works fine. "

I've been testing the letterbox aspect and see it does work when I play a blu ray 3D 1080/24fps movie. Maybe it's 1080i/60hz for 3D that doesn't allow letterbox stretch. Can you output 1080p/24 from your TV box, see if that fixes it.

Wing wasn't picking up today he could be in Taiwan I'll keep trying.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4002 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been testing the letterbox aspect and see it does work when I play a blu ray 3D 1080/24fps movie. Maybe it's 1080i/60hz for 3D that doesn't allow letterbox stretch. Can you output 1080p/24 from your TV box, see if that fixes it.

Hmm, that's interesting. It definitely works for blu rays for me as well. My tv box will only output at 720p or 1080i, so I will check that out at 720p (I'm assuming 720p at 60hz should work as I don't think I can force 24fps) and get back. Didn't even think about the 60hz thing.

post #4003 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

do u guys think i will see any RBE on my screen (100" 1.3 gain screen) with my projector?
post #4004 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just tested it on my pvr. LBX doesn't work in 720p/60. Also, I can't seem to get my ps3 to force 1080p/24 even though I've set it up that way. Gotta look for a trial player on my pc that will force 1080p/24. Ideas?

Silly me. I just set the refresh on my computer to 24hz through my video card. So, 1080p/24 SBS doesn't work in LBX. I phoned Optoma and they finally understand what exactly the problem is, and they said they are going to get back to me. So far they seem to be taking it seriously.

post #4005 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I tried Wing again he doesn't even pick up his cell phone so he may be in Taiwan. We'll get around to it in the mean time enjoy.

A side note I don't know how some tune up setups I've seen here recently can have high contrast setting numbers. I use the contrast pattern in DVE and any of the higher set numbers crushes out the whites. You need to be able to see the high whites in the pattern or you'll have posturizing in clouds etc, bands of color or white instead of smooth grades. You might want to double check that.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4006 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Just got the projector & put it on a shelf until our mount comes in. It looks great in 2D, but when we switch to 3D, the top of the picture shows on the bottom ie the heads are showing at the bottom of the screen. What are we doing wrong? Also, should we select SBS or Top & Bottom?
post #4007 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My comcast box tells me whether it's sbs or TB. Try either one if you don't know, which ever one works right. Blu ray 3D's get setup automatic.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4008 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Feel like a real idiot. In our excitement we put in the non 3D disk lol.
post #4009 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Hi Mate, Sorry to hear the firmware does nothing. I have a DIY anamorphic lens (I made with glass prisms) that I used to use with my HD65 and was looking to try it out with the Hd 33 uk but came across the fact that it wont do vertical stretch in 3d sbs. One thing I was thinking is sbs is already half the resolution streaching it another third may be too much drop off in quality as my screen would have to be 150". How is the picture res and quality with 3D bluray on your setup?
post #4010 of 5324 Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How is the picture res and quality with 3D bluray on your setup?

Oddly enough, although it won't do the vertical stretch with SBS content at the moment (holding my breath for a firmware update although I think I'm the only one that is using an anamorphic lens with this pj), the HD3300 does a phenomenal job of stretching framepacked blu ray content (so yes, it will stretch 3D blu ray 2.35 content). I have a ~143" 2.37:1 screen and I just finished watching Tintin 3D tonight. Some have complained of the lack of 3D in this movie, but with this projector plus an anamorphic lens on a large screen, Tintin is absolutely jaw dropping. I am using a budget Home Theater Bros. anamorphic lens with their correction element and I couldn't be happier (you're welcome, Randy ).

post #4011 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can some good folks here test out something with their HD33 (or your US equiv), i've had 2 units now which exhibit a bad issue and I know of another which is the same and i'm thinking that its a design flaw in the unit itself and that every one suffers from it.

First thing to do is make sure any edge mask is off or at zero, and also make sure no overscan/digital zoom is used so they need to be zero too, optical zoom doesn't matter.

Then play a movie or file of 1080p24 resolution and framerate, it has to be a full 16:9 film so no black bars (2.35:1), it works best with animated stuff like Toy Story or Bee Movie etc.

Ok, now if you introduce NEGATIVE keystone correction to the image then you will see a horizontal line on the bottom of the image, the more negative keystone is used then the line goes higher until at max keystone then the line is about a quarter way up the image, you will also see that the portion of the image under this horizontal line is offset, like a tearing effect.

This is the issue i'm having, it only appears on 1080p24 stuff and is more visible on animated stuff and only when any kind of negative keystone correction is used, the more is used the further the line goes up the image, and it doesn't appear to do it with 3d blurays at 1080p24 either.

I've had 2 HD33 units now on C03 and the latest C04 f/w and both exhibit the issue, another guy on a forum who has a 6 month old HD33 on C02 f/w has the same and i'm now assuming they ALL suffer from it and am trying to see if alot of others can replicate the problem because Optoma are saying that they cant which is rather convenient for them.

And before anyone starts with cables etc, i've tested each of my sources seperately and hooked up directly to the HD33 with a 1m hdmi cable to eliminate any other equipment failure and it makes no difference, the same effect is produced so it has to be a design flaw in the HD33. My sources are a Panasonic BDT300 bluray, Sony BDPS360 bluray, WDTV Live media streamer, Himedia 900b media streamer.

Any help is appreciated as I need some ammunition to go back to Optoma and tell them that they all suffer from this.
post #4012 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, now if you introduce NEGATIVE keystone correction to the image then you will see a horizontal line on the bottom of the image, the more negative keystone is used then the line goes higher until at max keystone then the line is about a quarter way up the image, you will also see that the portion of the image under this horizontal line is offset, like a tearing effect.

If you're using keystoning, you're doing it wrong. Joking. Seriously, though, I would try to avoid keystoning if at all possible. This pj has very minor vertical lens shift if you need it. I'll test out your issue tonight.

On another note, I decided to try pc gaming on this pj. If anyone has input on how to get 3D gaming working, I'd appreciate the help. I'm using an ATI 6950 and have the Tridef 3D software trial. I can't seem to get it working at the moment. Am I correct that I have to game with either 720p/60 or 1080p/24? The game is World of Warcraft and I have it set to direct x 9 (why I decided to start this game up with my limited time is beyond me, but meh). Thanks in advance.

post #4013 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I know keystoning is to be avoided but with a projector that has no physical lens shift at all it is inevitable that alot of people will have to use keystone to some degree, in my case its only about 15% but thats enough to produce the issue i'm having and the horizontal line and tearing is around 40mm from the bottom of the image.
post #4014 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

do u guys think i will see any RBE on my screen (100" 1.3 gain screen) with my projector?

No one knows. It has more to do with your eyes/brain than it does with your screen.
post #4015 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got a call from Optoma. They talked to their engineers overseas and LBX mode with 3D SBS is not something they are ever going to implement. Sucks.

post #4016 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I remember when I asked Wing what C04 does he said it's clear up video artifacts that could be caused by the lens.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4017 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

CO5 will fix customer complaints and overall issues.
post #4018 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Guys, what settings are you using for ps3 gaming?
post #4019 of 5324 Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey I had the projector down for a bit but it's back up and man you couldn't ask for a better picture for under $1500. It's bright, it's colorful, contrast is high, last but not least every video image is super clean because of the high power needed for 3D operatiion.

My engineer buddy who worked on this machine said the processing power needed for 120hz 3D added a addition for super clean video images. He said the mirrors are moving so fast that the video becomes super clean. I can't find any flaws in what I've been seeing. Nice very nice, I can't see a person being unhappy with this projector. Well unless they are rainbow people but then they would have problems with most DLP projectors. Not me, boys you got a winner here and it does 3D. Did a little Black opps in 3D today / enjoyed it.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4020 of 5324 Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Hey I had the projector down for a bit but it's back up and man you couldn't ask for a better picture for under $1500. It's bright, it's colorful, contrast is high, last but not least every video image is super clean because of the high power needed for 3D operatiion.

My engineer buddy who worked on this machine said the processing power needed for 120hz 3D added a addition for super clean video images. He said the mirrors are moving so fast that the video becomes super clean. I can't find any flaws in what I've been seeing. Nice very nice, I can't see a person being unhappy with this projector. Well unless they are rainbow people but then they would have problems with most DLP projectors. Not me, boys you got a winner here and it does 3D. Did a little Black opps in 3D today / enjoyed it.

What settings are you using? for 2D gaming? the ones in first post?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page