post #4111 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

so far no lockups, but i've only had it back one night.

why would they reset the bulb hours? do they put new bulbs in repaired units?

i really am starting to wonder if i actually got the same projector i sent to them, given its physical condition and settings.

very very frustrated overall....this is my last Optoma product, for sure. I advise anyone who visits this thread thinking about buying a Hd33/3300 to only do so with the understanding that you will deal with some of the worst service imaginable if you have a problem with the unit. Having dealt with Epson's wonderful customer service in the past, it's really very disappointing to deal with a team who obviously could care less about their customers.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience and surely they will rectify it.

To answer your question about your hours and presets being reset; it is quite common when doing a firmware update as it generaly resets everything to defaults. I don't think they can save and reload what was there.

Good Luck!
Rew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

Sorry to hear about your bad experience and surely they will rectify it.

To answer your question about your hours and presets being reset; it is quite common when doing a firmware update as it generaly resets everything to defaults. I don't think they can save and reload what was there.

Good Luck!
Rew

Thanks Rew. The funny thing is, the presets are different than I had them but also don't appear to be set at the defaults. Almost like they tweaked it to some new settings for whatever reason.

As for the other issues, I guess you get what you pay for. I love the projector and it's a great deal, and luckily with the unit ceiling mounted i don't think anyone will see how scratched up the unit got. Learning experience for me to always take pictures of something I am sending in for service.
post #4113 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

so far no lockups, but i've only had it back one night.

why would they reset the bulb hours? do they put new bulbs in repaired units?

i really am starting to wonder if i actually got the same projector i sent to them, given its physical condition and settings.

very very frustrated overall....this is my last Optoma product, for sure. I advise anyone who visits this thread thinking about buying a Hd33/3300 to only do so with the understanding that you will deal with some of the worst service imaginable if you have a problem with the unit. Having dealt with Epson's wonderful customer service in the past, it's really very disappointing to deal with a team who obviously could care less about their customers.

When you install a firmware it resets the projector. No they wouldn't change the lamp. I'd like to see a picture of the scuffs maybe I could help.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4114 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Attachment 244336

How does that picture look ?
LL
post #4115 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

It was hard to photograph the scratches without light being shined directly onto it, but I think you guys can get an idea From that pic what the surface looked like. Looked brand new and spotless when I sent it off.
post #4116 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

It was hard to photograph the scratches without light being shined directly onto it, but I think you guys can get an idea From that pic what the surface looked like. Looked brand new and spotless when I sent it off.

Looks like they had it sitting on that side while working on it and spinning it get angles, definitely no cool.

PSN: futurecode
post #4117 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

Looks like they had it sitting on that side while working on it and spinning it get angles, definitely no cool.

Yep, definitely looks like they took no care at whatever workstation my projector was at (and it is my original projector i verified that from the serial). I hope everyone thinking of buying an Optoma visits this thread and takes a look.

Guitarman - thanks for your offer to help, but i'd rather someone from Optoma directly take care of this instead of someone who is friends with some people at Optoma service trying to do damage control. thanks though
post #4118 of 5315 Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

ALSO - how much physical work should actually happen to the unit for a firmware update? that's a plug in- do it- case closed kind of thing. there is NO reason for the unit to be roughed up for a FIRMWARE UPDATE VIA USB!!! It's really unbelievable.
post #4119 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd3300scuffs.jpg

You need a daylight no flash picture when you show it to Optoma.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4120 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd3300scuffs.jpg

You need a daylight no flash picture when you show it to Optoma.

Ok sure, i'll unmount it and take it outside in the "daylight" without a flash to prolongue this debacle.

There was no flash in my picture. that is a room light.

Seriously guitarman, what part of "it didn't look anything like that when i sent it off" don't you get? and the fact that your unit it smudged up and scuffed (but apparetnly not actually scratched like mine judging by the piture) means what exactly in relation to my case?

And what step in the firwmare process requires the unit to be carelessly placed/worked on without any surface protection or consideration for the nice glossy finish?

unbelievable.
post #4121 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

[IMG][/IMG]
post #4122 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Firmware updates Is a free service right? Well, sh*& happens...

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #4123 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Firmware updates Is a free service right? Well, sh*& happens...

What's your point? Pouring oil on the fire does not add anything useful to the discussion. Off course firmware update is free! It fixes problems that should not have been there in the first place. As for sending back a damaged unit... that kind of sh*& is totally unacceptable!!! And should NEVER happen.
post #4124 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM
HWM

Liked: 11
I'm in no way a fan of Optoma's support... loved the price, general performance, and picture on my HD66... haaaated Optomas service and general "I don't give a crap what your issue is" attitude I received when I interacted. Plus, for whatever reason, whenever I called in it was always like the first time--don't know what their customer service tracking system is, but I fell through the cracks repeatedly. My problems were minor, and the hd66 is still running, but no matter the price difference or quality difference, I won't use Optoma again. When a company treats you poorly, vote with your checkbook.

So sorry to hear about how they treated your unit...I'd be livid too. My next purchase will be an epson 3010/5010 or the acer, even though the optoma, technically, is probably a better fit and cheaper.
post #4125 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I think oleus's situation Is the perfect kick start for Optoma to let us do our own firmware updates. Hopefully...

P.S. Just kidding oleus, I'd be pretty pissed too...

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #4126 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, whenever my bulb dies this is going on Ebay and an Epson will be hanging in my theater. Sorry for the large picture size up there, i will resize to half when i get some time later. I mainly wanted to light the part that has actual deep scratches (some of those are NOT "scuffs").
post #4127 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok sure, i'll unmount it and take it outside in the "daylight" without a flash to prolongue this debacle.

There was no flash in my picture. that is a room light.

Seriously guitarman, what part of "it didn't look anything like that when i sent it off" don't you get? and the fact that your unit it smudged up and scuffed (but apparetnly not actually scratched like mine judging by the piture) means what exactly in relation to my case?

And what step in the firwmare process requires the unit to be carelessly placed/worked on without any surface protection or consideration for the nice glossy finish?

unbelievable.

It sounds like you're mad at me know.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4128 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like you're mad at me know.

sorry no, not mad at you. just mad at the situation. sorry my anger spilled over into my post.

they are offering me a swap out for a new one. they obviously need padded surfaces or some kind in their work areas.
post #4129 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah you have the better warranty, swap outs plus the two year lamp. If you were waiting for the lamp to die to dump it on ebay you'd have to wait two years.

Sounds like a happy ending, new everything.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4130 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

sorry no, not mad at you. just mad at the situation. sorry my anger spilled over into my post.

they are offering me a swap out for a new one. they obviously need padded surfaces or some kind in their work areas.

Not to justify the scratches, but I simply tried to wipe my Optoma HD3300 case with a clean towel to get the dust off, and wow, scratches all around. Didn't see them at first until I removed it from the ceiling one day to adjust some wires. I couldn't believe the scratches were from the clean towel, so I tried another one, and ugh same thing. The case is very vulnerable apparently.
post #4131 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Not to justify the scratches, but I simply tried to wipe my Optoma HD3300 case with a clean towel to get the dust off, and wow, scratches all around. Didn't see them at first until I removed it from the ceiling one day to adjust some wires. I couldn't believe the scratches were from the clean towel, so I tried another one, and ugh same thing. The case is very vulnerable apparently.

hmm...interesting. my scratches seem to revolve around a certain point, but maybe they didn't manhandle the unit like it looked like they may have.
post #4132 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

All of the polished black cases are easily scratched on any brand of projector. The good news, is the Optoma's have had pretty good reliability. We have sold a lot of these and have had very few problems.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4133 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess the part that bothers me is that it didn't look anything like that when I sent it off. Plus, if it had been scratched by a cloth/towel in an attempt to clean it before sending it back to me, it wouldn't have come back with the large amount of smudges and fingerprints that it had.
post #4134 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

All of the polished black cases are easily scratched on any brand of projector. The good news, is the Optoma's have had pretty good reliability. We have sold a lot of these and have had very few problems.

Black projector and scratches. I'm going through a ebay customer case right now. Sent him a 3 month old Mits HC6800 with receipt. Claims when he got it there where scuffs on the projector, the fan was loud and the the image had dust blobs. There was none of this when sent out.

The buyer set up a account in Oregon but then gets the purchase sent to Russia where he really is. I think he's a theif and I can play hard ball. I just put in the case full $1070 refund.

He doesn't like that and still wants $300 back. This Ebay buyers protection is a big pain in the butt.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4135 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Good news!!! Sounds like Optoma is going to make this have a happy ending!!
post #4136 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWTX View Post

Good news!!! Sounds like Optoma is going to make this have a happy ending!!

Yes, very much so. I was a little surprised to get such a fast response, too.
post #4137 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Anybody know why they don't use a white LED in place of a bulb?
post #4138 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, very much so. I was a little surprised to get such a fast response, too.

Man I really like the performance of this PJ and to know that Optoma stands behind their product this well is great affirmation that I made the right decision on my purchase.
post #4139 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

He doesn't like that and still wants $300 back. This Ebay buyers protection is a big pain in the butt.

I had a bad experience too. Sold a projector with a replacement bulb that I had put in. Also included the original bulb which still had some life. A full month later, the buyer complained that the replacement bulb was dying. No warranty or return policy was implied, yet Ebay sided with the buyer. It's pretty much a no questions asked, satisfaction guaranteed return policy for the buyer - I think up to 45 days, regardless of what you say in the listing.
post #4140 of 5315 Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The guy just wanted my money. You see I got this super deal at Best Buy, open box with just 50hrs on it for $499. Now I sent the receipt so he could maybe use it for warranty work it's only 3months old. He mentioned you made $500 on the projector, several times. Yeah but the value was still a grand, this drove him nuts.

And you're right they can say anything they want without question.

To end it I just split the difference and sent him half, now he's happy - I'm not.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page