New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 140 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4171 of 5315 Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When you run the video if it's 3D it should tell you whether to use s/b or t/b then you enable with the 3D button on the remote.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 5315 Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
This title has been released in a number of 3D formats over the last ten years. The older field-sequential DVD version is not compatible with the Optoma or DLP Link 3D glasses. If you play it from a computer using the Stereoscopic Player, you could that software to convert it on the fly to a 3D format the HD33 projector could use, like Side by side (squeezed) or Top and Bottom (also squeezed).

Haunted Castle is currently available on a number of the Pay TV/cable services. With Comcast, when it plays on their Xfinity 3D channel, it is shown in the SBS 3D format. When this is viewed via Comcast OnDemand, it is TnB formatted.
post #4173 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Liked: 11
Watched The Hole last night in 3D. Didn't like the movie very much, but awesome use of 3D, go check it out.
post #4174 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 AM
cvh

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

This title has been released in a number of 3D formats over the last ten years. The older field-sequential DVD version is not compatible with the Optoma or DLP Link 3D glasses. If you play it from a computer using the Stereoscopic Player, you could that software to convert it on the fly to a 3D format the HD33 projector could use, like Side by side (squeezed) or Top and Bottom (also squeezed).

Haunted Castle is currently available on a number of the Pay TV/cable services. With Comcast, when it plays on their Xfinity 3D channel, it is shown in the SBS 3D format. When this is viewed via Comcast OnDemand, it is TnB formatted.

dude, what a bummer. Thnx for the reply. Only paid $5, so no lose.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
post #4175 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Probably you just didn't notice it. This artifact has been around since I bought my first 4.3 Mitsubishi 50" RPTV like 25 yrs ago.

Anyway it's a small problem most won't notice. I just checked my Onkyo receiver to try and test it's faroudja chip and stopped. I wouldn't use it my recevier just does 1080p and I wouldn't want to lose 1080p24fps from my blu rays and HD-DVD players. Plus the artifact is still there having the Onkyo do 1080p. I'll set my receiver to through.

guitarman -

Which Onkyo do you have? On the newer ones you can specify specific scaling options for each input. "Through" and "direct" are different options, "through" is scaling it to the master output setting you have selected, while "direct" overrides this and doesn't alter the signal at all.

So you can greatly improve 720p and 1080i signals that go to the Optoma while not touching 1080p/24fps from bluray if you have a receiver that can do it. The prices have dropped bigtime on some of these upscaling receivers.

You say I probably didn't notice these artifacts on my previous projectors. I didn't notice them because they definitely weren't there on my Infocus and Epson. They must use different scaling algorithms than the projectors you have always noticed this with. One of the reasons this artifact jumped out at me was because it was a visual artifact I was not used to and had never seen before, i honestly thought something was wrong with my lens at first. I watch a lot of sports so game graphics and tickers that stay up on the screen suddenly going in and out of focus was NOT something I have seen on my previous setups.

I did a lot of testing with the cable box going directly to the projector and through the Onkyo yesterday while watching various baseball and basketball games and the deinterlacing artifacts in the Optoma were much worse on some sources than others but in all cases, taking the deinterlacing step away from the Optoma dramatically improved image quality from the 720p and 1080i sources.
post #4176 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I got the TX-SR608.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4177 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I just got the HD33 upgrading from an Epson 6100. My setup is a dark theater setup with 110" screen, Denon 1912 receiver, PS3, HTPC with gforce 430. I was disappointed in the black levels compared to the Epson until I used CVH's settings now its great. My problem is with 3D off the PS3 the color and gamma settings are not displayed (and off the HTPC) and the color is washed out. Is there a setting in the PS3 to change to get these to display as they do off Dish Network and my Sony Blu Ray. I have read all of this thread over the past few months and can't remember if this was brought up. Thanks

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4178 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Another note that I have not seen mentioned. I plugged the IR emitter from my Mitsubishi started kit and used the Samsung 2100 IR glasses and they work great. Real cheap glasses at $20.

post #4179 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

I just got the HD33 upgrading from an Epson 6100. My setup is a dark theater setup with 110" screen, Denon 1912 receiver, PS3, HTPC with gforce 430. I was disappointed in the black levels compared to the Epson until I used CVH's settings now its great. My problem is with 3D off the PS3 the color and gamma settings are not displayed (and off the HTPC) and the color is washed out. Is there a setting in the PS3 to change to get these to display as they do off Dish Network and my Sony Blu Ray. I have read all of this thread over the past few months and can't remember if this was brought up. Thanks

i also use CVH's settings with a few minor differences, but i'm having real trouble re-clabrating my 3d settings. i'm also getting the washed out color issue. i'm going to try the disney "wow" calibration disc letter and use the 2d-3d conversion mode in my player to then tweak the colors for the 3d settings.

i used to use the settings CVH posted and they looked perfect but i have "started over" with settings.

guitarman - i am an Onkyo fan. i have the 809 and love it
post #4180 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Blacks can definetly look fine on this projector, but better than that whites and blacks at the same time show high ansi contrast.

This is a day one video shot and the picture of this shot got even better at 500hrs.

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd33bttf1.jpg

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4181 of 5315 Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

i definitely think these units have great black levels, anyone seeing grey blacks should tweak their gamma settings as a test.
post #4182 of 5315 Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question. Are the optomas capable of displaying btb "blacker than black" information from calibration discs ? I've tried with my ps3 and new Sony 590 And neither seem to be showing the btb signal on my 3300 and looking at those products' forums they should be capable of passing that signal. I've tried all different kinds g settings (also going straight to the projector from both players) but it doesn't seem like it can display the btb pluge signal.

Regardless , I have 2d pretty close to calibrated , but an having a much harder time getting 3d to look as good as I had it set up previously.
post #4183 of 5315 Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I can see the blacker bar in pludge. Lately I've been using the THX optimizer for this, at the top it has several steps of black. The seventh box s/b barely visible. Try it it's on all the Lucas films.

If still no BTB look in the menu of the PS3 for a enhanced/normal or brighter/darker feature.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4184 of 5315 Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can see the blacker bar in pludge. Lately I've been using the THX optimizer for this, at the top it has several steps of black. The seventh box s/b barely visible. Try it it's on all the Lucas films.

If still no BTB look in the menu of the PS3 for a enhanced/normal or brighter/darker feature.

i've tried every kind of setting on both bluray players and the blacker than black pluge will not show up on my hd3300. could this be a firmware co4 issue?

i have not tried the THX optimizer but i don't think I own any discs that have that. I will try that next once i get my hands on one of those discs.

if someone else who has the co4 firmware and a calibration disc could check to see if they can get blacker than black to show up, i'd appreciate it!!
post #4185 of 5315 Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
cvh

Quote:

thnx rekbones for the positive feedback. Once I finally got the settings, I have not changed them since. This includes my 3D settings. I finally stopped tinkering. now I can actually watch movies and pay attention without looking for flaws. Saw the avengers imax 3D today and movie was awesome. Thought it would make me unsatisfied with my home theater setup in 3D. I was actually shocked to see it was very similiar. Love the HD33.

post #4186 of 5315 Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

update - i found a THX optimizer on the T2 disc. If that dropshadow under the THX sign is truly BTB, then my settings are -8 brightness. a lot different than my previous settings.

is that dropshadow on the THX logo truly BTB (blacker than black)? i just want to make sure.
post #4187 of 5315 Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post

thnx rekbones for the positive feedback. Once I finally got the settings, I have not changed them since. This includes my 3D settings. I finally stopped tinkering. now I can actually watch movies and pay attention without looking for flaws. Saw the avengers imax 3D today and movie was awesome. Thought it would make me unsatisfied with my home theater setup in 3D. I was actually shocked to see it was very similiar. Love the HD33.

CVH your 3d settings were amazing for me on my old setup - i am going to start again from scratch and see if i tweaked something accidentally, because not only could i not get 3d to look good, no adjusting would help.
post #4188 of 5315 Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

update - i found a THX optimizer on the T2 disc. If that dropshadow under the THX sign is truly BTB, then my settings are -8 brightness. a lot different than my previous settings.

is that dropshadow on the THX logo truly BTB (blacker than black)? i just want to make sure.

Yes but more important look at the line of black to gray boxes at the top and bottom of the pattern. Take the black level down until you can't see the seventh box, then bring brightnes up a notch till you can barely see it. Tip close your eyes for a few seconds and stare at the seventh box. This will bring you to the point when blacks are as dark as they can be with still seeing the shade in the seventh box. Keep working with the eye's closed then open until you find the deepest spot that you can see this seventh box.

I find the THX pattern excellent for finding the aboslute low for black level.

Allot of reviewers miss the absolute low in blacks which makes their result in contrast levels way off.

Like I had a guy krasmusick a ISF calibrator that got just 600.1 on a older Optoma when I got 2000.1. Work on the skill.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4189 of 5315 Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. . I wonder why I'm seeing the btb on the thx screen and not the "wow" disc (which gets great reviews as a calibration disc). Regardless, when I have time later I will keep calibrating, especially the 3d mode which isn't looking great for me right now for some reason. I think I'll start by switching back to graphic gamma for 3d.
post #4190 of 5315 Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ok... so I bit the bullet and took advantage of the pricing on Amazon.com. First HD33 that came in floored me with the stunning image!!! Blacks were awesome. Color was fantastic. Sharp as a tack and no ghosting what so ever with the RF glasses. EXTREMELY BRIGHT!!! in my dedicated room which is completely light controlled. Everything was great EXCEPT for the lower left hand corner of the image. while the other 3 corners were razor sharp, this corner was blurry. After the pj had been running for about 1hr, the blurriness moved from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. After seeing this, I request a replacement from Amazon.

Replacement comes in next day (yesterday). I'm very happy cause I have a brand new pj on a Saturday!!! YAY!!! OR so I thought... Unbox the new replacement, mount it and power it up. First thing you hear is a ticking from the pj, then the fan blows at 100%, then ticking again, and finally the indicator light for the bulb starts to blink. Damaged bulb. Not happy!!!!

With that, I quickly contacted Mike at AVS which picked up while he was at a family outing. Mike, thank you for doing that and I'm sorry for interrupting!!! He instructed me on what to do to place an order for the HD3300. I placed my order yesterday as per his directions. Should have a new HD3300 by mid week.

Moral of the story... It was probably coincidence but to have 2 HD33's in a row does not speak well to their build quality. Moving up to the HD3300 was not that much more especially when you think about gaining 200 extra lumens, 1000 more in contrast, 2 extra years of pj warranty and 2yrs of bulb warranty. Peace of mind was well worth it and I should have done this from the beginning.

I love Optoma!!! The HD3300 is replacing an Optoma HD72 which has been and still is a great pj which is the reason why I'm sticking with them!! This whole fiasco with the HD33 however has left a sour taste in my mouth as far as their mass produced products go.
post #4191 of 5315 Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I have a denon 1712, nvdia gt 430 and a PS3 and changing the color settings I the nvidia control panel (and ps3) from RGB to YCbCr444 make a world of difference for me when it comes to better blacks. Give that a whirl if you haven't tried it.

PSN: futurecode
post #4192 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Its not the blacks its the washed out color. both the gt430 and the ps3 cause the color and tint settings to disapear. they are there with dish network and my non 3d sony blu ray I have tried all the settings in ps3 but I still can't adjust he color.

post #4193 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
cvh

CHUCKY08016

Ok... so I bit the bullet and took advantage of the pricing on Amazon.com. First HD33 that came in floored me with the stunning image!!! Blacks were awesome. Color was fantastic. Sharp as a tack and no ghosting what so ever with the RF glasses. EXTREMELY BRIGHT!!! in my dedicated room which is completely light controlled. Everything was great EXCEPT for the lower left hand corner of the image. while the other 3 corners were razor sharp, this corner was blurry. After the pj had been running for about 1hr, the blurriness moved from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. After seeing this, I request a replacement from Amazon.

Chucky08016 - I actually have the same problem. My blurriness starts from the middle of the screen and moves to left all the way to the edge of the screen. I can really see it when I use my PS3 or when there is text going all the way across the screen. Today I am finally sending it off. Crossing my Fingers. I will request not to update firmware from CO3 to CO4. Have had no issues with the HD33 except for the blurred edges.

Will keep you all informed of the progress. Does anyone have any suggestions or have had any issues with sending off or responses. I already know their customer service is not the greatest, so leave that part out. I want to make sure I follow directions to RMA and SEND OFF correct. THNX. Guys. I love this forum. It has been very very helpful.

post #4194 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think mine might not be as sharp on the outsides but I chalk this up to being a budget machine. I think it's rated at 80% uniformity, you can get higher uniformity projectors but at a cost. The next level up Optoma 3D projector looks to be built off the HD8200 platform, that one I know has great optics but still I think it's rated 90%.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4195 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"My blurriness starts from the middle of the screen "

That doesn't sound right. Can you focus the center and then the far corners are not as sharp?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4196 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I think mine might not be as sharp on the outsides but I chalk this up to being a budget machine. I think it's rated at 80% uniformity, you can get higher uniformity projectors but at a cost. The next level up Optoma 3D projector looks to be built off the HD8200 platform, that one I know has great optics but still I think it's rated 90%.

I really hope that uniformity on the HD3300 is better than 80%. My HD72 was and still is as near perfect across the entire screen... not a single issue with the image at all.
post #4197 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
cvh

Quote:

"My blurriness starts from the middle of the screen "

That doesn't sound right. Can you focus the center and then the far corners are not as sharp?

No. The right side is tack sharp, the middle a little less sharp and the left about 2ft in is out of focus. Yes it does go from extreme sharp slowly becoming less sharp. The left side is just totally off. it does gradually decline in focus so not really noticeable in a movie, but on the PS3 or Panasonic 3d Player intro screen and widgets, you can really see it because of the text and images on the left side.

post #4198 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

I really hope that uniformity on the HD3300 is better than 80%. My HD72 was and still is as near perfect across the entire screen... not a single issue with the image at all.

The 80% uniformity quoted in the datasheet refers to how uniformly bright the screen is:

"Uniformity is expressed as a percentage. A system with an 80% uniformity rating, for example, will have some area of the screen that will only have 80% the brightness as the most brilliant area."
post #4199 of 5315 Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I know about the brightness uniformity. Just added in the focus, just chalk it up to lessor lenses. The HD3300 is supposed to have hand picked parts and focus should be allot better. I do notice at the far ends focus isn't as sharp but man it's hard to see the pixel lines anyway, they're tiny.

Somewhere back in the thread I think they got Optoma to tweak the optics.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #4200 of 5315 Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM

Liked: 11
Guys, I'm connecting my Optoma HD33 through a 10m cable to my PC. When I set 2D resolutions there is no problem whatsoever. However starting up my PC with a 1080p 3D resolution on the desktop causes a significant decrease in framerate, even moving the mouse on the desktop is almost impossible, the screen also jumps up and down a few inches which is very annoying.

In order to fix this, I change my resolution to 720p 3D and back to 1080p, and the problem is gone most of the time, but sometimes I still have to reboot a few times or turn the PJ on and off. -therefor I can't really say the problem is my PC, it almost seems like a sync problem between the two. The thing is, this problem seems to get worse since I got my Optoma and I now wonder whether I have to return the PJ..
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page