New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 144 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4291 of 5332 Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Sort of, but depends on many factors and most people can watch 3D dimmer than 2D (also most 3D movies are bright, not all though). You could probably do 3D in low lamp mode in the beginning, then when your lamp gets older set it into torch mode(if Optoma hd33 allows torch mode for 3D). None of us can really control 3D brightness over lamp dimming 100%, we all have to just take what it gives us over time.

hd33 with 1.3 gain and 100 inches is going to be pretty bright, you'll probably need an ND filter at first if you are in a near-bat cave.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4292 of 5332 Old 05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
audionewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2d mode is bright i know, but when i watch 3d movies is fine. how do i set it on low lamp mode.

3D = 15fL (10fL @1K hrs)

what does the 15fl mean? i know at 1k hrs , it goes to 10fl.
audionewer is offline  
post #4293 of 5332 Old 05-13-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 150
14 fL is the official recommended brightness for 2D from the SMPTE standards, so anywhere between say 12 fL and 18 fL is about normal brightness for watching a projector in a dark room. 10 fL is fine in 3D, even 8 fL is ok in 3d.

fL = Foot Lamberts, this is the unit used to discuss screen brightness. We can't use ONLY lumens to think about brightness because say if the PJ is at 500 lumens, well the screen brightness is still different for every individual's setup (screen size, gain, etc...). That is why fL is used instead of Lumens.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is online now  
post #4294 of 5332 Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
audionewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
10fl is fine for 3d , projector in a dark room or not? cause i usually watch the movie in a near dark room

do i need ND filter for 2d or 3d or both?
audionewer is offline  
post #4295 of 5332 Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Newbie
 
Zzbog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post

HD33 supports SBS at 1080i 50/60Hz. I always set up 1080i 60Hz in MacBook to get SBS 3D movies to work. Note that one could still get SBS mostly working at 1080p 60Hz, but there will be tearing in the image, as SBS at 1080p 60/50/24 Hz was not claimed by Optoma to be functional in HD33. There is no tearing for SBS when input signal is 1080i 60Hz. Hope this helpful!

Hi, so I actually used a newer MBP and all worked fine..

One problem - after ~2 hours of 3D movie the projector started going out of SBS mode (the glasses went out of sync and the image back to 2 images SBS).. had to take the remote and press 3D again etc.. Running of thunderbolt -> HDMI

Is that a projector problem or cable problem or glasses problem?
Zzbog is offline  
post #4296 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 AM
cvh
Senior Member
 
cvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Too many settings too many changed settings. Each projector can be a bit different you're best handling it on your own. Most of the settings are just someone eyeballing their own projector which can be very different than yours. Use that grayscale tuning format I posted just a page up.

Use your Avia DVE or the THX optimizer to tune in blacks and whites.

I totally agree with Guitarman in all he said above. All projectors and setups are different. What works for one may not work for another. There are so many variables to consider in a setup. Find a setting as a starting point and tweak it until you like what you see and live with. Now I did notice a focus issue and sent off my PJ to be Tweaked. Will arrive at optoma on Wednesday.

I run my projector 14 feet from a 1.1 gain screen at 125" in STD lamp mode and no problem with brightness in 3D mode or 2d. no clipping and no crushed blacks and no Optoma RF glasses issues. I set the HD33 tweaked to my liking 3 weeks after I received it and have not changed a thing since then. Thanks to those who have given me feedback about shipping PJ to Optoma, how long it takes and the pros and cons of Updating firmware to CO4. I decided to leave it on CO3.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
cvh is offline  
post #4297 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Member
 
HeadSpace10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering picking up the HD33 in August, but I have a few concerns I'm hoping someone who owns one can put to rest. First off, I have read a lot of this thread, and heard some anecdotal stuff, either way, but nothing super specific. I apologize if I'm re-asking stuff thats already been asked.

-First, is there any reason to hold off for new models? Do we think a new one will come out this year?

-How well does this work out as a dedicated screen? My plasma seems to have died, and this is what I want to get to replace it. We'd be using this PJ in our living room, and for dedicated TV, games, and Movie use. This isn't just an event screen. Its a daily driver.

-That said, will replacing lamps become a constant thing? I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who is using their HD33 as a dedicated TV.


Thats all, I am well aware of all the other things about this PJ. Its my top choice, but I want a little reassurance before pulling the trigger. Thanks guys...
HeadSpace10 is offline  
post #4298 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
DrNegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

on this website:
http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/

how do i calculate how much loss on it?

1. Calculate 3D as 2.5%5%10%15%20%25%30%35%40%45%50%55%60%65%70%75%80%85%90%95% LOSS in Best Mode (Lamp Low)Best Mode (Lamp High)Dynamic ModeBrightest Mode.

2. Estimate for Lamp Wear at 200 Hours500 Hours1000 Hours2000 Hours3000 Hours4000 Hours as 5%10%15%20%25%30%35%40%45%50%55%60%65%70%75%80%85%90%95% Loss

It was to my understanding that most modern projector bulbs do not fall in brightness over time in a linear fashion. They tend to fall sharply after the first 500 hr burn-in, then somewhat plateau for the majority of their life-span, before finally tanking at or near the end.
DrNegative is offline  
post #4299 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Member
 
Gh4mjteam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post

I am considering picking up the HD33 in August, but I have a few concerns I'm hoping someone who owns one can put to rest. First off, I have read a lot of this thread, and heard some anecdotal stuff, either way, but nothing super specific. I apologize if I'm re-asking stuff thats already been asked.

-First, is there any reason to hold off for new models? Do we think a new one will come out this year?

-How well does this work out as a dedicated screen? My plasma seems to have died, and this is what I want to get to replace it. We'd be using this PJ in our living room, and for dedicated TV, games, and Movie use. This isn't just an event screen. Its a daily driver.

-That said, will replacing lamps become a constant thing? I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who is using their HD33 as a dedicated TV.

Thats all, I am well aware of all the other things about this PJ. Its my top choice, but I want a little reassurance before pulling the trigger. Thanks guys...

Responding to your question about using the HD33 as a main tv, I would have to say that it can be done, but I would definitely be sure to have a back up tv in place. I use my HD33 as my primary screen, but have to send it in twice already and I have had it less than 6 months. Once for a firmware upgrade and the second time my main board blew so they had to send me a refurbished one. My setup has a motorized screen that drops in front of my plasma. Also, if you room is not light controlled day time viewing can be difficult at times. With everyday use as a primary viewing device I had racked up around 700 hours over 6 month until my board blew. Now I have a brand bulb which almost makes up for having to send it in. I'm just hoping that the board on this one doesn't blow, especially if it's out of warranty.
Gh4mjteam is online now  
post #4300 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Member
 
HeadSpace10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh4mjteam View Post

Responding to your question about using the HD33 as a main tv, I would have to say that it can be done, but I would definitely be sure to have a back up tv in place. I use my HD33 as my primary screen, but have to send it in twice already and I have had it less than 6 months. Once for a firmware upgrade and the second time my main board blew so they had to send me a refurbished one. My setup has a motorized screen that drops in front of my plasma. Also, if you room is not light controlled day time viewing can be difficult at times. With everyday use as a primary viewing device I had racked up around 700 hours over 6 month until my board blew. Now I have a brand bulb which almost makes up for having to send it in. I'm just hoping that the board on this one doesn't blow, especially if it's out of warranty.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think light will a huge problem. The room has small windows, and we have thick drapes. The room lends itself well to a PJ. That said, my main concern is amount of use we'd likely put on it. Between my wife and I, I think we'll put a considerable amount of time on the bulb. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to change it every year.

I don't think a motorized drop screen is really in the cards either. The house is a rental. We have bookcase thats actually well positioned for a PJ, and the receiver/ps3.

We have another TV in the bedroom, so I guess thats our backup. Its a tough call. I just bought a really nice panasonic plasma almsot 3 years ago, and its been serviced 3 times and this last one would cost over $500 to repair. I'm cutting my loses and getting something new. I need to decide if I just want a large tv, or a full on PJ with some upkeep costs.
HeadSpace10 is offline  
post #4301 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wilkes-barre, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post

-How well does this work out as a dedicated screen? My plasma seems to have died, and this is what I want to get to replace it. We'd be using this PJ in our living room, and for dedicated TV, games, and Movie use. This isn't just an event screen. Its a daily driver.

My original set up at my house was to consist of the HD33, a 106' motorized screen and my 50 inch Samsung plasma. The idea was to use the projector for event viewing and the plasma for all else. Well, I couldn't find a motorized screen to my liking that was in my price range, so I aborted the two screen setup and just went for a 110 fixed frame. So since the HD 33's launch (about 8 months ago), which is when I received the projector, I have used it literally daily, anywhere from 2-8 hours, but usually about 4-5 hours at a clip, with zero issues other then the old firmware related issues that c03 fixed.

PSN: futurecode
futurecode is offline  
post #4302 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
CVH -

I agree with what you said, I have just been trying to figure out why I was getting such pronounced white clipping at settings that looked great to me before i got C04 firmware. No one else's settings for contrast seemed anywhere close to how low mine have to be to avoid the clipping, but I am looking forward to finding "my setting" so i can stop tweaking. I'd rather be watching and enjoying :-) i think i have it set now.

I will never know if i just didn't notice the white clipping before, but was curious if anyone else wanted to check the scenes i tested to see if they were unknowingly blowing out the whites in their setup. Mostly curious if it was due to C04.
oleus is online now  
post #4303 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
cvh
Senior Member
 
cvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

CVH -

I agree with what you said, I have just been trying to figure out why I was getting such pronounced white clipping at settings that looked great to me before i got C04 firmware. No one else's settings for contrast seemed anywhere close to how low mine have to be to avoid the clipping, but I am looking forward to finding "my setting" so i can stop tweaking. I'd rather be watching and enjoying :-) i think i have it set now.

I will never know if i just didn't notice the white clipping before, but was curious if anyone else wanted to check the scenes i tested to see if they were unknowingly blowing out the whites in their setup. Mostly curious if it was due to C04.

I will Definitely chk when I get my Projector Back. I told them not to update to CO4, but if they do and I see my PQ change I will let you know.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
cvh is offline  
post #4304 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Newbie
 
mathew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone got hold of a firmware update they can do themselves yet?
I'm still on the crashy c02.
mathew2 is offline  
post #4305 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Member
 
HeadSpace10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

My original set up at my house was to consist of the HD33, a 106' motorized screen and my 50 inch Samsung plasma. The idea was to use the projector for event viewing and the plasma for all else. Well, I couldn't find a motorized screen to my liking that was in my price range, so I aborted the two screen setup and just went for a 110 fixed frame. So since the HD 33's launch (about 8 months ago), which is when I received the projector, I have used it literally daily, anywhere from 2-8 hours, but usually about 4-5 hours at a clip, with zero issues other then the old firmware related issues that c03 fixed.

Well this is music to my ears!

Have you had to change out the bulb yet?

Do you play games at all? I hear this PJ works great for games (input lag is minimal). Just curious if using 110 screen for daily gaming is as awesome as it sounds in my head.
HeadSpace10 is offline  
post #4306 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew2 View Post

Anyone got hold of a firmware update they can do themselves yet?
I'm still on the crashy c02.

No one who has been provided the pixelworks flash updater from Optoma has ever gotten it to work as far as i know. It starts the update and then locks up..same has been reported from the small amount of people who also posted that they tried it.

I sent mine in to get C04 and have been lockup-free. It definitely fixes the issue.
oleus is online now  
post #4307 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Chris Blount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

No one who has been provided the pixelworks flash updater from Optoma has ever gotten it to work as far as i know. It starts the update and then locks up..same has been reported from the small amount of people who also posted that they tried it.

I sent mine in to get C04 and have been lockup-free. It definitely fixes the issue.

I was wondering that myself. Mine doesn't lock up but I lose settings every so often. I would hate to send my projector in and have them send me something back that is worse. The picture is fantastic! Is it worth the risk to have the upgrade to C04?

Chris Blount
Chris Blount is offline  
post #4308 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I was wondering that myself. Mine doesn't lock up but I lose settings every so often. I would hate to send my projector in and have them send me something back that is worse. The picture is fantastic! Is it worth the risk to have the upgrade to C04?

Well, mine was locking up frequently. at least a few times a week i'd have to unplug it. So for me it was worth it.
oleus is online now  
post #4309 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
xhonzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post

Well this is music to my ears!

Have you had to change out the bulb yet?

Do you play games at all? I hear this PJ works great for games (input lag is minimal). Just curious if using 110 screen for daily gaming is as awesome as it sounds in my head.

HD33 lag was measured to be about 50-60ms, if I recall. Definitely less than the 80-100ms measured on the 3010, but hardly what one would call a "low lag" display. Many people here will claim to "not notice" the lag, but the same is true of the laggier 3010 as well.
xhonzi is offline  
post #4310 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wilkes-barre, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post


Well this is music to my ears!

Have you had to change out the bulb yet?

Do you play games at all? I hear this PJ works great for games (input lag is minimal). Just curious if using 110 screen for daily gaming is as awesome as it sounds in my head.

Well, I totally spaced and forgot that I did get a total replacement in mid december. So I did get a new bulb then. Sorry for that! Each projector reached the 500 plus hour mark and while havent taken any measurements or am an expert, neither seemed worse for FL wear at 500 plus hours.

I game a little too much to be honest, so I bombard this thing with gaming. It works extremely well, both in 2d and 3d. 3d gaming on 100 inches was so immersive that after seeing how much nicer 3d gaming was on a PC over a PS3, I just built a pretty robust gaming rig to get the full effect. I literally just finished the build today so I'll report back after some good sessions.

Lag for me is pretty nonexistent for my gaming habits. I'm primarily a single player campaign guy, not a big fan of multiplayer games, so lag isn't as much detriment for me, so that that into account.

PSN: futurecode
futurecode is offline  
post #4311 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
The big picture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HeadSpace10,
Optoma also makes the GT750/ GT750e.
Thats a 720p 3D short throw projector made for gaming with zero input lag and 3000 lum brightness, so its good for a room with some lights on.

But if 1080p is what you are after, then the HD33 seems like a good choice.
The big picture is offline  
post #4312 of 5332 Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Member
 
HeadSpace10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

Well, I totally spaced and forgot that I did get a total replacement in mid december. So I did get a new bulb then. Sorry for that! Each projector reached the 500 plus hour mark and while havent taken any measurements or am an expert, neither seemed worse for FL wear at 500 plus hours.

I game a little too much to be honest, so I bombard this thing with gaming. It works extremely well, both in 2d and 3d. 3d gaming on 100 inches was so immersive that after seeing how much nicer 3d gaming was on a PC over a PS3, I just built a pretty robust gaming rig to get the full effect. I literally just finished the build today so I'll report back after some good sessions.

Lag for me is pretty nonexistent for my gaming habits. I'm primarily a single player campaign guy, not a big fan of multiplayer games, so lag isn't as much detriment for me, so that that into account.

I game quite a bit too! Also not a fan of multiplayer. I might need to look into the 3d options with PC. I plan to get a new motherboard/CPU for my rig so I can actually give something like Skyrim the justice it deserves. But the PS3 has some titles I really wanted to try in 3D like uncharted, and Gran Turismo (I have a wheel and homemade seat). This is where the big screen comes in! That said, I do play the occasional (okay, daily) FIFA and that may be the only place I would notice lag. Definitely post how well it handles the 3d gaming via PC.

So, it seems like with pretty heavy use you hit about 500 hours in 6 months. Does that seem about right?
HeadSpace10 is offline  
post #4313 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
kaa1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cottonwood, AZ
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An odd thing occurred last night, while watching the HD3300, the blue light began flashing slowly like at start up. I can't find any info in the manual of what it means. Our room temp was around 75 at the time. Anyway, I turned on the AC & after about 5 minutes it stopped, meaning the blue light turned off completely.

Any thoughts?
kaa1954 is offline  
post #4314 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM
cvh
Senior Member
 
cvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa1954 View Post

An odd thing occurred last night, while watching the HD3300, the blue light began flashing slowly like at start up. I can't find any info in the manual of what it means. Our room temp was around 75 at the time. Anyway, I turned on the AC & after about 5 minutes it stopped, meaning the blue light turned off completely.

Any thoughts?

Are there any paranormal activity in your home?

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
cvh is offline  
post #4315 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
cvh
Senior Member
 
cvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Guys, I need help with this or any suggestions or input on buying an extended warranty for my HD33. I find it a wise thing to do
.
I own a DLP 50" HD Projection TV and had the 1 year warranty and it died after 3 years. It originally cost me $2K and when it died only worth $500.
I was part of a forum on the Samsung DLP HD TV and many others had the same issue.

It was going to be the same amount to fix it, so I tried fixing it myself and after $300 of replacing parts to no avail , gave up and now sitting in my Spare Room.

DLP Projectors can go really bad really fast. Who knows when it will fail after 1 year. I bought an LG 55" LED 3 years ago with a 5yr warranty and the suckers still going no problems. Funny, when you buy a warranty nothing happens but if you dont it does. LOL

I found this on amazon called:

SquareTrade 4-Year Electronics Warranty ($1250-1500) for $238 or SquareTrade 3-Year Electronics Warranty ($1250-1500) for $178

Has anyone bought an extended warranty for the HD33 and which service did you get. HD33 comes with 1 year warranty and 90days on Bulb. Not good enough for me. Need Extended Warranty.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
cvh is offline  
post #4316 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew2 View Post

Anyone got hold of a firmware update they can do themselves yet?
I'm still on the crashy c02.

Send me a pm with your email and I'll forward the C03 files. It's worth a shot they can do it at the company. I haven't tried it because I've never had a lockup with C02.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
post #4317 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Member
 
HeadSpace10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post

Hey Guys, I need help with this or any suggestions or input on buying an extended warranty for my HD33. I find it a wise thing to do
.
I own a DLP 50" HD Projection TV and had the 1 year warranty and it died after 3 years. It originally cost me $2K and when it died only worth $500.
I was part of a forum on the Samsung DLP HD TV and many others had the same issue.

It was going to be the same amount to fix it, so I tried fixing it myself and after $300 of replacing parts to no avail , gave up and now sitting in my Spare Room.

DLP Projectors can go really bad really fast. Who knows when it will fail after 1 year. I bought an LG 55" LED 3 years ago with a 5yr warranty and the suckers still going no problems. Funny, when you buy a warranty nothing happens but if you dont it does. LOL

I found this on amazon called:

SquareTrade 4-Year Electronics Warranty ($1250-1500) for $238 or SquareTrade 3-Year Electronics Warranty ($1250-1500) for $178

Has anyone bought an extended warranty for the HD33 and which service did you get. HD33 comes with 1 year warranty and 90days on Bulb. Not good enough for me. Need Extended Warranty.

I saw this one PP website. I am thinking I'll also be getting an extended warranty. 3 years after buying my panasonic plasma it broke... $100 of parts and still not working..... I learned my lesson!

http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...erviceplan.asp
HeadSpace10 is offline  
post #4318 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
cvh
Senior Member
 
cvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post

I saw this one PP website. I am thinking I'll also be getting an extended warranty. 3 years after buying my panasonic plasma it broke... $100 of parts and still not working..... I learned my lesson!

http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...erviceplan.asp

Thnx for the feedback. Looks promising. Need to read the fine detail before buying. Im with you. Warranty yes. 4 years sounds the best deal after optoma 1 year expiration date

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
cvh is offline  
post #4319 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Member
 
tucsondave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I purchased a warranty on an Epson Printer. When I had problems with it I found out that I had to send it to the warranty people 2000 miles away instead of taking it to the local Epson repair station. Shipping alone would have cost as much as paying to have it repaired locally.

I purchased an extended warranty from Best Bite on my 2007 Samsung DLP since it was an open box item.
It allegedly covered cleaning and one lamp replacement. After 5500 hours I had the lamp replaced. The new lamp lasted 1000 hours. I discovered they had used a counterfeit lamp instead of the OEM Philips. Also they refused to clean out an object that was between the two screen panels saying that it was an insect infestation. BB did send me a $75 gift card to make up for the lamp fiasco.
BTW when it was delivered it came with no instructions, no remote, and no power cord.

IMNSHO Forget the warranty and put a few dollars away in a savings account. Chances are by the time it fails there will be something better out there to replace it.
tucsondave is offline  
post #4320 of 5332 Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've had the same Mitsu HC3000 since it was new. Though only 720p, it's a fine PJ, but I will not buy another projector until 1080p LED or laser/hybrid PJ's become widely available and proven.

I'm done with lamps. Obviously, others will have a different perspective. JMO



Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post

That said, will replacing lamps become a constant thing? I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who is using their HD33 as a dedicated TV.


Thats all, I am well aware of all the other things about this PJ. Its my top choice, but I want a little reassurance before pulling the trigger. Thanks guys...


"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
mobius is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off