New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 179 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
I need to project from about 18ft (recommended placement is about 13" ABOVE screen, and I will put it about 13" BELOW screen top)

I don't really want to bother dismantling it unless there's a chance of more or less normal looking picture.
Don't do it, man. Just say no to keystoning. That is all.

Quote:
Got a new tip, you want even better blacks use the Standard gamma instead of film, blacks get 40 percent better. Grayscale tuning will stay the same. On mine grayscale setup went easy minus one on the red gain and plus 3 on the blue gain, rgb bias stays at zero's, I also use pure detail at 2. Give it a shot see what you think. Watching Gotham right now and blacks plus detail look the best ever. Pretty great projector.
Wait, what? I'm curious now, as I have an HD3300 with a bright screen (for 3D) and the 2D blacks kinda suck. So are you saying look at what they're using for gamma settings in their standard setting and implement them in a custom tune? I used the Disney WOW disc to calibrate and it seems good, but the blacks...they're lacking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Standard has a darker black level. The tuning numbers I mentioned are from using colorfacts a clostly calibrating system. It didn't take much to fine tune a perfect grayscale. Colors look great and now with standard gamma blacks are twice as good. View dark material and flip from Film to Standard and you'll see how different. Yes for 2D, for 3D let the projector go to it's factory setup for high brightness, glasses balance things out.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Standard has a darker black level.
Gamma doesn't influence black level but it does influence intrascene contrast (within a given scene/picture). Higher gamma gives the perception of more contrast but usually at the cost of shadow detail.

A good read. http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin....html#Gammabox

Last edited by Elix; 04-28-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just flip from standard to film, the darker black level is undeniable, I'm really liking what I see. I have a Yamaha DPX1300 here which is DC3 and iris controlled. Now the HD33 is getting close to it's black level no haze look of the Yamaha. I'd give Standard gamma a shot.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Just flip from standard to film, the darker black level is undeniable, I'm really liking what I see. I have a Yamaha DPX1300 here which is DC3 and iris controlled. Now the HD33 is getting close to it's black level no haze look of the Yamaha. I'd give Standard gamma a shot.
I tried switching and recalibrating with Standard and quickly went back to my calibrated film mode. I get perfect blacks and incredible color in film mode. nearly 4 years later, i couldn't be happer with my HD3300.

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors