New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5341 of 5350 Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
I need to project from about 18ft (recommended placement is about 13" ABOVE screen, and I will put it about 13" BELOW screen top)

I don't really want to bother dismantling it unless there's a chance of more or less normal looking picture.
Don't do it, man. Just say no to keystoning. That is all.

Quote:
Got a new tip, you want even better blacks use the Standard gamma instead of film, blacks get 40 percent better. Grayscale tuning will stay the same. On mine grayscale setup went easy minus one on the red gain and plus 3 on the blue gain, rgb bias stays at zero's, I also use pure detail at 2. Give it a shot see what you think. Watching Gotham right now and blacks plus detail look the best ever. Pretty great projector.
Wait, what? I'm curious now, as I have an HD3300 with a bright screen (for 3D) and the 2D blacks kinda suck. So are you saying look at what they're using for gamma settings in their standard setting and implement them in a custom tune? I used the Disney WOW disc to calibrate and it seems good, but the blacks...they're lacking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5350 Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Standard has a darker black level. The tuning numbers I mentioned are from using colorfacts a clostly calibrating system. It didn't take much to fine tune a perfect grayscale. Colors look great and now with standard gamma blacks are twice as good. View dark material and flip from Film to Standard and you'll see how different. Yes for 2D, for 3D let the projector go to it's factory setup for high brightness, glasses balance things out.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #5343 of 5350 Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Standard has a darker black level.
Gamma doesn't influence black level but it does influence intrascene contrast (within a given scene/picture). Higher gamma gives the perception of more contrast but usually at the cost of shadow detail.

A good read. http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin....html#Gammabox

Last edited by Elix; 04-28-2015 at 05:54 AM.
post #5344 of 5350 Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just flip from standard to film, the darker black level is undeniable, I'm really liking what I see. I have a Yamaha DPX1300 here which is DC3 and iris controlled. Now the HD33 is getting close to it's black level no haze look of the Yamaha. I'd give Standard gamma a shot.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #5345 of 5350 Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Just flip from standard to film, the darker black level is undeniable, I'm really liking what I see. I have a Yamaha DPX1300 here which is DC3 and iris controlled. Now the HD33 is getting close to it's black level no haze look of the Yamaha. I'd give Standard gamma a shot.
I tried switching and recalibrating with Standard as a test, and quickly went back to my calibrated film mode. I get perfect blacks, great pop, and incredible color in film mode. nearly 4 years later, i couldn't be happer with my HD3300. it took a lot of tweaking and fiddling the first year or so but i finally have it to where I never think about touching it.
post #5346 of 5350 Old 05-10-2015, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I still use my Film settings but for something like the Stars Wars garbage shoot scene standard might take the haze out. Oh my film settings still have great blacks and detail in blacks are very good. When you're trying to get the best black from the pludge black pattern close your eyes then look again at the lighter black bar and darken it till you can barely see it. Closing your eyes many times will help you find the absolute low needed, raises the contrast.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #5347 of 5350 Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone experienced whirring/buzzing sound on their HD33? My 3-year old HD33 produces that whirring sound on startup and disappears a few seconds after the video has played. Is this a sign of bad color wheel?
post #5348 of 5350 Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Kinda late down the line I know, but what's the procedure regarding firmware updates for the hd33? I was a pretty early adopter and seems the main firmware is the very first (C01), and probably the other 3 as well (found the service menu). I've always thought my PJ was just a little mental, with the random setting resets. It's like, turn it on and see if it's had a minor stroke today and forgot what we spoke about last time. REMEMBER SETTINGS! I still love it, but if it were my kid it'd be an 'under the stairs' one

I bought it from the US but I'm in Australia. I guess they have a distributor here. I think the main question is are they still obliged to address fundamental design flaws after warranty, or will I have to cough up? If so I wont bother, unless there is some sort of PQ improvement somewhere in the update chain We've learned to accept each others issues by now. Cheers.
post #5349 of 5350 Old 08-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I haven't had my HD33 for a year and 1/2 now but at that time updates were a in-house manufactures update only. I believe c03 update fixed many of the issues you describe.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.35:1 to 2.50:1, Denon 1912 AVR, 7.1 with Ohm mains, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB NAS
post #5350 of 5350 Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have C03 files and C05. My PJ has C04 and no issues so I didn't bother to load 5. The C03 file shows you how to upgrade. You'll need both, pm me your email and I'll forward them.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page