New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Understood and it does fill up the screen but left and right side border it's over shooting. If I try to zoom it down a bit I then no longer have it to the edge top and bottom. As far as superwide that is off and edge masking is set to one now which did help a little. After my kid goes to bed tonight I will post two screenshots, one zoomed all the way-out and one with it zoomed in a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

This begs a few questions before we declare HD33 is inferior to HD3300

1) did both of you use same screen type and gain and same room brightness
2) did HD33 have all settings that you posted (or did you post all setting syou touched and untouched)
3) are they tuned differently at factor level

this is to my untrained eye, so experts please post your opinions.

Some clarification.
My screen is a light gray DIY job with a gain of around 0.8
I believe my camera was inferior to Guitarman's.
I was unable to locate the main color level setting that Guitarman increased. This may be a difference between the two projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

Guitarman, I tried the native setting and I'm still have the same issue. Top and bottom not so bad but it's still over shooting on the sides should I use the edge mask? Maybe I'll try that?

I have noticed that my bottom horizontal with is little over inch larger than the top when I have the projector square to the wall.
Were you able to locate main color level setting that Guitarman increased?
post #543 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemomtt View Post

I have noticed that my bottom horizontal with is little over inch larger than the top when I have the projector square to the wall.

That means the projector is not perfectly perpendicular to the screen. You should be able to correct this by tilting the projector up/down a little.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #544 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm getting that as well, too me it doesn't seem to matter how I adjust it. Especially once I'm zoomed max. The right side corner and top right corner seem to be off a bit compared to the top left and lower left. I may have to remove the mount and select a better mount location, maybe I should use the ext. Pole from the mount as well to center it more to the screen. Again never had this issue with my hd66 which was in the same spot on the same mount.
post #545 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM

I just wish I could fill the screen without seeing a viewable image on the right and left border. Basically I just want it to be as uniformed to the screen as possible. I install these as part of my job and honestly I've never been more frustrated with adjustments. 2D/3D PQ on the other hand is really off the hook. The amount of detail and color pop is nothing short of excellent! Again I just want as close to perfect a 16x9 image as possible. Anyone in Jersey to give a brother a hand, lol
post #546 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you are mounting it in the exact same location as your previous pj, is the position of the lens on the projector exactly the same on both pj's? It might be higher or lower, left or to the right which will throw off the angle of the image, resulting in a trapezoid image. Are you using keystone correction?
post #547 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm getting closer now, guess I didn't have much patience making much adjustments. Definitely getting better. This is a screen shot of Sleeping Beauty, watching it now with my daughter. This projector is pretty nice regardless of some of my calibration problems. Please take into consideration this photo was taken with my iPhone.
LL
post #548 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm am using a little keystone correction but this PJ only has vertical keystone not horizontal. If it did I wouldn't even be complaining about this. But again getting closer so getting much happier now with the purchase.
post #549 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Another SB shot.
LL
post #550 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Again never had this issue with my hd66 which was in the same spot on the same mount.

I have also never had this problem with any of my other projectors that were mounted to the same mount. I have tried tilting the projector, but this puts it well off level and messes up the offset. I know the wall is level.
post #551 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
I had to angle the projector around until I got the top bottom and side to side lines all square, no V angles that tells you the lens is perectly straight to the screen.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #552 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I have also never had this problem with any of my other projectors that were mounted to the same mount. I have tried tilting the projector, but this puts it well off level and messes up the offset. I know the wall is level.

Looks like we are having the same issue adjusting. Like I said in the last post that I'm getting closer but again same issue. I will take a photo and post it
post #553 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM

1st pic is right lower corner, 2nd is left so you can see a difference between the two yet the top line seems to be equal from border to the top of the image...hmmmm. I even broke out a measuring tape to make sure the screen is mounted straight and both sides are on the money.
LL
LL
post #554 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Maybe you guys should try table mounting first just to make sure that everything is okay with the pj. You can also see where it should be mounted above on the ceiling mount.
post #555 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1st pic is right lower corner, 2nd is left so you can see a difference between the two yet the top line seems to be equal from border to the top of the image...hmmmm. I even broke out a measuring tape to make sure the screen is mounted straight and both sides are on the money.

Ok there's a simple rule, any angle line in the video. the side that's smaller is receiving the image first. Like on your second picture the vertical line is angled and fatter on the bottom. Which means you need to angle down the lens a bit.

Also on the second picture the video is opened wider on the right, means the video is hitting the screen on the left first. You need to angle the projector toward the left a bit.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #556 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I figured out why some see no color tint adjustments. When I tuned the projector I used the DVE standard DVD which is 480 res. Pop in a standard DVD and check the menu I'll bet you'll see the color and tint. 1080p24fps video's on my projector don't show any color or tint, not really needed either. The numbers held over from Standard DVE hold true for 1080p24.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #557 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Some clarification.
My screen is a light gray DIY job with a gain of around 0.8
I believe my camera was inferior to Guitarman's.
I was unable to locate the main color level setting that Guitarman increased. This may be a difference between the two projectors.
nemott, since its almost impossible to match the two photos, could you please comment on if your images to your naked eye are same or similar to guitarman's ? I looked at all of them side by side and I clearly see HD33 seems inferior. If you can confirm that your images are close to his to your eyes, that would be great !
post #558 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post
nemott, since its almost impossible to match the two photos, could you please comment on if your images to your naked eye are same or similar to guitarman's ? I looked at all of them side by side and I clearly see HD33 seems inferior. If you can confirm that your images are close to his to your eyes, that would be great !
My home theater is not ideal in every way. I have to deal with light that leaks in and this is one of the reasons I project on a light gray surface. The room also has an off white ceiling, although my SO has recently given me permission to paint it in a darker shade. My screen was made with the classic Behr silver screen paint and pearlessence mix. This surface produces a sight diffusion that tones down some of the harshness of DLP projection and produces a very appealing image in my judgment. I would not say it looks like a plasma screen, but it does have a lot of pop and depth to it in 2D and looks very close to Guitarman's photos. In some scenes it looks like you are looking through the wall. My goal is not to produce a plasma screen image, but instead to reproduce the theater experience as closely as possible. With more work and the help of all the combined expertise on this forum I think I will get there.
post #559 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Guitarman, does the 3300 have horizontal keystone?
post #560 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just vertical.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #561 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure your 2D setup uses the Standard lamp setting. 3D will automatically be set to bright lamp a pretty good design setup.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #562 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 11:04 PM

Dude, I've f'ed with this PJ tonight and it still ends up with at least a corner that is a little and no matter how much I mess with the zoom in and out l, once I focus it it over shoots the sides, what is the max back for 92" diagonal
post #563 of 5315 Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/HD33

I could tell from the pictures your lens isn't centered flat to the screen, your mount is giving you trouble. The HD33 is a larger proejctor than the HD66 the lens is over more for the same mount. You have to measure the center distance and mount so the lens is right in the middle. I known these fixed throws are tricky buy you can do it. My mount is a wall mount which swivels, moves side to side, and angles side to side and front to back. It's a cheap $75 mount but works good. I'll take a picture of it.
Like on that side to side lens setting you can't spin the PJ you have to slide it over to be centered.

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd33mount1.jpg
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd33mount2.jpg

This kind of mount is only good if your room is challenged like mine. It's like 13' wall to wall with high vaulted ceilings. My wife bought the 20yr old house for cash bless her heart. You should all be so lucky.

The rooms why I've been using these Dlia's the RS1 and RS2 but the fan noise on those is no good that close. The HD33 is nice and quiet that close. plus it's 3D capable. Hang in there get it aligned "it's a mother beautiful projector"

Where did I get that quote from?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #564 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm getting closer now, guess I didn't have much patience making much adjustments. Definitely getting better. This is a screen shot of Sleeping Beauty, watching it now with my daughter. This projector is pretty nice regardless of some of my calibration problems. Please take into consideration this photo was taken with my iPhone.

On your picture I can see the projector needs to be shifted to the left a bit. Note the small end of the angle means the video is hitting that area first. Angle has to be moved to balance out with the other side.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #565 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So the sharpness would be the same as the HD20 ?
post #566 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Liked: 39
Also if you see black bars on a movie on your 16:9 screen, it could be the movie is 1.85:1 ratio as most older movies are (except those in widescreen 2.35:1). Probably not the issue Wellywell, but many Newbees don't think about this. Make sure your screen output is 16:9 first. As guitman says, any deviation from center of the lens will cause a magnified issue on the screen. I have not seen any projectors that had the lens in the same place so that they could be replaced 1 for 1 on a mount. Even a 1/4" off center will be magnified to inches when projected.
post #567 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Where are you getting the 14'10" from ?

Optoma site calculator (same as the one on projector central) says 13'1" to 15'8" (the manual says 13.07 to 15.69).

My screen is of similar size (124") and I'm planning to keep the projector 16' away.

Sorry you are correct. I keep the calculator up all the time since I use it regularly and forgot that I had changed it off of the HD3300.
post #568 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Not so much a newbie just not use to working with something so fixed. I had the Panny 3000u and that had lots of adjustments to square the picture. Guitarman which mount do you have? I feel like this might be what I need.. Especially the left/right, forward/back capability.
post #569 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 AM

Also for a moment forget the angle issue...I can zoom the picture to fill the screen but once I focus, the picture becomes larger and over shoots on the side border? Is the projector not far away enough or is it too close? Have to measure the distance from the lens to the screen again. Update to follow....
post #570 of 5315 Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon has the HD33 now. Getting mine on Tuesday. Now I need to sell off my HD20 to help pay for it.

Chris Blount
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page