post #781 of 5315 Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by krell101 View Post

Guitarman first thanks for all the responses. I bought the HD3300 still waiting for AV Science to ship.
In your opinion do you prefer IR 3d glasses or the DLP link?
What model would you suggest or tested?
Just want some comments before I purchase 5 glasses.

Thanks again

These Optoma glasses are just like the Monster version but the Monsters are double the price. I'd look for the best price on the Optoma's that match your projector.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
For those who want to know how the contrast compared to an rs1/rs40, it can't. I owned both of those and the on/off contrast is far higher on those 2 than on the hd33. So scenes with dimmer lighting will look far superior on the jvc's, especially in dark scenes.

The hd33, like all dlp's will have the advantage in mixed to brighter scenes. This can help the 3d effect.

If I had to rate the contrast performance in a scale of 1-10, this is how I would rate them: Dark scenes- jvc rs40 10, hd33 6. Mixed and bright scenes: jvc rs40 8, hd33 9.
post #783 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I am sold on the HD3300. Already talked to Benito. I do have one question. I have 5 pairs of Samsungs glasses for my 2010 plasma. Will these work with the PJ? I would like to get the RF glasses but would like to hold off. I can't seem to find any specs on these glasses

Paul Seng
post #784 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Liked: 12
3010 has zero offset (actually a slight negative offset of 0.3" for a 150" screen). This makes it easier to install than HD33.

See page 13 of the manual.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #785 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Seng View Post

I am sold on the HD3300. Already talked to Benito. I do have one question. I have 5 pairs of Samsungs glasses for my 2010 plasma. Will these work with the PJ? I would like to get the RF glasses but would like to hold off. I can't seem to find any specs on these glasses

If the Samsung glasses are IR, you just need an IR emitter (Vesa) from Samsung that would work with those glasses. If they are DLP Link, they should work without anything else.

post #786 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 AM

I am struggling to find these Optoma RF glasses ANYWHERE. They all seem to be out of stock with no lead time.

Projector just got here today and I realized I ordered the wrong Xpand glasses. Now I read that I cannot use DLP-Link and RF together. I think I want to go with RF so I just need to find some.

Can someone please help me find them somewhere? Are there alternatives that work to the Optoma's that are NOT nVidia?

Thanks so much!
post #787 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM

I ordered 2 pair from Projector People and they drop shipped from Optoma, got them in 2 days. Although I am in N. California so close to Optoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r270ba View Post

I am struggling to find these Optoma RF glasses ANYWHERE. They all seem to be out of stock with no lead time.

Projector just got here today and I realized I ordered the wrong Xpand glasses. Now I read that I cannot use DLP-Link and RF together. I think I want to go with RF so I just need to find some.

Can someone please help me find them somewhere? Are there alternatives that work to the Optoma's that are NOT nVidia?

Thanks so much!

post #788 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Wellywell,
I also have noticed a noise when switching out of 3d back to 2d, particularly using VuDu on the PS3. Its not as pronounced as you describe but definitely audible. It sounds like a fan noise, although color wheel makes sense. Have you gotten any more info on this? Is it normal or should we be worried about it?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

Just got my HD33 today. Love the PQ, 3D looks great- no ghosting. Two things I don't like- no horizontal shift and it sounds like a baby cow when it switches from 3D on or off? What's up with that?

post #789 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrose View Post

Wellywell,
I also have noticed a noise when switching out of 3d back to 2d, particularly using VuDu on the PS3. Its not as pronounced as you describe but definitely audible. It sounds like a fan noise, although color wheel makes sense. Have you gotten any more info on this? Is it normal or should we be worried about it?

Thanks.

I heard the Baby-Moo when it switches from 3D to 2D. It sounds like something is either slowing down or speeding up....

dont hear from 2D to 3D switch

It doesnt bother me, but I hope this is not a bug
post #790 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Projector just arrived, I will be comparing against a Sony HW30 that I recently purchased. Does anyone know if the Xpand X102 glasses will work with this uni? (DLP-Link) or the X103?
post #791 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I ordered 2 pair from Projector People and they drop shipped from Optoma, got them in 2 days. Although I am in N. California so close to Optoma.

Have a link? I only see the Xpand 102's on their site.
post #792 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

r27 - Which ones did you order that do not work? I am going to assume the 102's.
post #793 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looking forward to your comparison. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Projector just arrived, I will be comparing against a Sony HW30 that I recently purchased. Does anyone know if the Xpand X102 glasses will work with this uni? (DLP-Link) or the X103?

post #794 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM

No. I would call them, part number is BG-3DRFGLASSES. BTW I did not pay retail.

Quote:

post #795 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Just called and they found them. Ordered 4 to be direct shipped from Optoma!
post #796 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

r27 - Which ones did you order that do not work? I am going to assume the 102's.

No...made a mistake and bought the Xpand 103's without an IR emitter. Then started reading about DLP Link so sent the 103's back and bought the Ultimate 3D Heaven Ultra Clear from Amazon. I am going to try out the RF's as well and then send back what I don't like.
post #797 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

My RF glasses are delayed, so got the DLP-link. Here are first impressions.

As I said before, I was super impressed with HD66-3D even though it was 720p as in 3D the resolution seemed higher. So I was curious what a true 1080p 3D would look like on HD33.

Well if 3D makes 720 look like 1080, it makes 1080 look like real life ! I was once again completely swept off with the 3D quality of this projector. The 3D settings are almost perfect right off the box as guitarman mentioned.

Because of the high resolution coming from two eyes, things looked almost real....earlier with HD66 I only could see depth but in any of the pop out scenes, I never found them pop out of my screen...they almost seemed to stop at the screen surface...but with HD33 I was delighted to see all these truly pop out . I found this has other great implications....not only did i find a lot more depth (compared to HD66) but also I could clearly see that relative depth between objects is a lot more pronounced. You could almost discern subtle differences in depth between objects making it real life (more details below)

The contrast is a way way higher than 2D and so everything looked perfect like guitarman said. The brightness is just perfect (I was worried about 3D brightness from a recent professional review where lumens looked discouraging). The ghosting is almost ZERO....it behooves a professional reviewer to call a spade a spade....if they mention cross talk for HD33 its a disservice to customers looking up to these reviewers. The color is superb in the default mode (interestingly it picks Graffics in 3D). In HD66, I was never quite satisfied with all these aspects but was willing to look past these owing to minimal crosstalk. But once I saw HD33 3D, the HD66 3D looks crappy and I wonder how I enjoyed it....I am spolied

Few things I noticed with DLP-liknk on HD33 vs HD66 are

a) HD66 looked washed out without glasses as it used whitesync-frame, but HD33 seems to have address this by using a red-sync-frame? Can someone confirm that their 3D image looks reddish without glasses by looking ar dark portions of the scenes that would look red w/o glasses ? While the glasses remove most of the red frames, I do feel that overall image with glasses is slightly reddish...especially in dark portions.

b) HD66 would lose sync in bright scenes.., I am glad to report that HD33 didnt lose sync in many cases that I saw it happen before on HD66 (.may be because of the red-sync-frame)

c) HD33 never swapped L and R frames so far...unlike HD66 where it would happen 50% of the time

overall this is good news for DLP-link glasses and us as they are cheaper....except that I would like fellow owners to confirm that Item "a" above is what they see too.

some sample scenes I watched:

1) Legends of Guardians: one word WOW ! the owls looked so much more real in 1080p-3D...the rain scene is simply superb...you almost feel drenched in rain. If there is one movie you have to see in 3D, this is the one. This movies has almost every scene in night time or dusk with a lot of blacks....all of which looked awesome with super high contrast.

2) Tangled: This movie is brighter and more colorful and has some high contrast scenes ("flower and the witch", "when they are drowning", "floating lamps") and HD33 never showed any sync issues or any ghosting. The "floating lamps" scene is very dark and HD66 had most of the details washed out even with the glasses...HD33 thrilled me with awesome contrast and brightness that allowed me to see very fanint details in this scene. Overall this scene alone is worth the movie, 3D is thrilling with reflections on the water in the night etc !

3) Open Season: Hated this movie in 2D, but was awestruck when i watched in 3D on HD66....but felt that the picture quality was just not right. With HD33, I was just amazed how good the movie looked in 3D and everything is just perfect. The 1080p literally yanked you into the other world. The layers of depth are the best seen in this movie with background mountains, trees, grass etc. The flood scene with an ultimate drop off at the water fall will put you on the edge of the seat and makes you wonder if you got drenched along with the characters.

4) Legends of Flight: This movie has some amazing 3D visuals where some planes are flying with mountains in the back. Guys dont miss out on this one if you like to feel like soaring in mountains on HD33. There are some scenes I literally pulled my stomach in as the nose of some planes jutted out of my screen, lest the rotating blades will touch me.

5) Despicable Me: colors look just amazing and HD33 kicks HD66 in the but in the sharpness and colors more so in this movie. The roller coaster ride will surely make you feel invigorated !

In summary, even movie theaters do not come close to HD33 in delivering true 1080p 3D and I am SOLD !
post #798 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

In summary, even movie theaters do not come close to HD33 in delivering true 1080p 3D and I am SOLD !

I don't know about that. I have been in some pretty darn good 3D theaters BUT, the HD33 definitely takes the home experience up a notch and does put some 3D theaters to shame.

Thanks for the review. I agree that things do pop out more on the screen. The other night I was watching Tangled and the details are so much more apparent than on the HD66.

Chris Blount
post #799 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I don't know about that. I have been in some pretty darn good 3D theaters BUT, the HD33 definitely takes the home experience up a notch and does put some 3D theaters to shame.

Thanks for the review. I agree that things do pop out more on the screen. The other night I was watching Tangled and the details are so much more apparent than on the HD66.

out of the 10+ 3d movies I saw at theater, only one was closer to HD33...Beawoulf which looked 1080p on the digital projection....the rest looked blurry enough to inspire me to make this blanket statement....

did you see the red tint with dlp-link ?
post #800 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is it prohibited to quote the price here ?
post #801 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Did you ever see the menu pop up with Color & Tint?

This is HDMI from the Sony 3D player 1080p24 res, when I send 1080i 60hz with HDMI the Color & Tint options aren't there.

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/optomahd33menu1.jpg

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #802 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Yup. Just use the PM box.
post #803 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quick question.
I asked earlier and since I don't have a 1.4 compat receiver, I would have to run a cable directly from my PS3/360 to the HD33 (if my wife caves....).

I have an older Monoprice HDMI splitter from a few years back (HDX-401). Does it matter much on the splitter - meaning, will this work to split the signal on the two consoles to the PJ. I looked on the monoprice site and all the HDX-401's show 1.3b (3d can pass) but they all have A, E, or other letters after the model. Not sure if this matters, so I thought I would reach out to the experts here.

Thanks,

Edit** mentioned earlier, but I will be running optical for audio on both the PS3 and 360. Not sure if that matters since I only need the video information going over HDMI.
post #804 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

did you see the red tint with dlp-link ?

Yes. The red tint is definitely there. Reminds me of how DLP rear projection TV's do dlp-link.

Chris Blount
post #805 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:

I just called. The quoted price is no better than what you can get from AVS.

post #806 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

Yes. The red tint is definitely there. Reminds me of how DLP rear projection TV's do dlp-link.

then this is new as HD66 used white frame syc....i am guessing that they did this to improve blacklevels ? wondering if its possible to remove the red tint with glasses on, by adjusting the RGB levels ?
post #807 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Did you ever see the menu pop up with Color & Tint?

This is HDMI from the Sony 3D player 1080p24 res, when I send 1080i 60hz with HDMI the Color & Tint options aren't there.

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/optomahd33menu1.jpg

if you are asking me, I never saw Tint or Color till now
post #808 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Man! Coming home and reading all these posts I might have to change my name to Seabiscuit cause I'm chomping at the bit! Can't wait!
post #809 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah most of these guys have been watching 3D at home for a while, allot had Optoma's already and they know what they were looking for. A 1080p model at a good price all self contained plug and play deal. Glad I jumped on board, kinda added some umph to the available video going around. Where's Harry Potter 3D?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #810 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I have issues.

For some reason refreshing the UPS page with my shipment tracking info isn't making my HD33 arrive any quicker!

weird?

PSN: futurecode
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page