New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the HD3300 compare to the HD66 for 2D IQ/Brightness? I currently have an HD66 with 100" screen and I feel like the image is just barely bright enough, I'm wondering if the lower Lumens on the HD3300 will make the image even darker. I'm curious if I should get the HD3300, or hold out for the Epson 3010 for some split screen action!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

I have issues.

For some reason refreshing the UPS page with my shipment tracking info isn't making my HD33 arrive any quicker!

weird?

i'm having a similar issue! everytime I hit refresh on the forum page, nobody from AVS says that they shipped the 3300's out. guess i'll just keep trying!
post #813 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Futurecode,

That's hilarious, I've been doing the exact same thing over at Amazon. I ordered the H33 day before yesterday, and every time I refresh my order page it states: "SHIPPING SOON". I have been checking every 30 minutes or so for the past two days.

I'm lucky though, when I first checked Amazons availability they had 7, by the time I ordered, they had two, an hour later they indicated new stock will arrive on September 16th.
post #814 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So I got the projector hooked up and "somewhat" in an acceptable position. My shelf is definitely not good for a DLP without lense shift and I had to put a bunch of boxes under the projector to get it angled down enough to get the picture centered. The zoom is also not enough to fill my 140" screen so this one will definitely be going back after I play with it some more.

Initial impressions are as followed (only 3 hours on it thus far) so this is very early impressions:

Construction

Plastic anyone? I pretty much expected this thing to look and feel cheap given I've owned the HD66 before and the HD33 is the same. I'd say most people would think this thing is a toy then a 3D machine but once you fire it up you quickly forget how cheap it looks. It also is a VERY light projector compared to the previous 3 or 4 I've owned. Fan noise is acceptable and I didn't really notice it while I was setting it (no audio.) I am going to watch a movie tonight so we'll see what it does for a long viewing.

2D image quality

Decent 2D image quality but not in the same league as the HW30 or LCOS i've owned. Comared to my brother's BENQ W1200 and my other brother's Epson 8350 I'd say they are comparable in many regards and the HD33 looks as good or better in some regards. The colors definitely stand out with the HD33 but not necessarly in a good way because some look really far off in calibration. I was extremely spoiled with the Sony and how accurate it is out of the box and the HD33 definitely needs some calibration work, at least on my screen to get it presentable. The "softness" of the LCOS projectors I have/had isn't apparent with the DLP and it truly is the closest to a plasma I've seen yet in my theater. The image and colors saturations just don't look right compared to the HW30 but some of this may be calibration issues so I will reserve judgement after I do a quick calibration. Black levels are surprisingly acceptable from what I've seen.

3D image quality

As mentioned by others, this is where the unit shines. I have 3 pairs of Viewsonic DLP-LINK glasses and it was an instant set the projector to DLP-LINK from RF and they worked. The picture actually appears the same brightness as my HW30 which really surprises me given DLP is supposed to be so much brighter but I am not sure if it is in low lamp mode or high. I haven't used the unit enough to say this is a fact so I will play with it some more to see.

I watched 2 different source materials for ghosting/crosstalk - DirecTV & Bluray. I watched material I am familiar with on the HW30 and I had to adjust the depth to get rid of ghosting on the Sony but with the HD33 it was perfect right off the bat. SBS setting for gaming also works extremely well without any problems from my laptop (Nvidia card.) For those with DirecTV I tried all the channels (even on-demand, we bought Rio3D to watch tonight) and the projector instantly picks up the signal without any hassling so A+ in this regards. It also handles swapping off 3D material back to 2D material much nicer then the Sony where there is very little delay in the Optoma.

Settings

The unit has a good number of tweaking features to improve IQ but I have not played with any of them except Pure Color (I think that was the name) and Pure Motion. Overall I am NOT impressed with Pure Motion (same as any company's FI implementation) and the HW30 trumps it in many ways from smoothness, artifacts, juddering, etc. I also can barely tell it is even on unless on High.

I like the different ratio features this projector has and it makes swapping between them very easy along with an AI setting where it attempts to figure out the best screen ratio based on the source material.

The other thing I want to mention is this projector is pretty bright. I'd say under normal light conditions on LOW, it produces a very similar image to my Sony on high bulb mode. I was actually under the impression that the Optoma was in high output mode and was shocked to see this thing was in the lowest setting. As mentioned previously I have a 140" screen and I do not feel it needs to be in high output to produce a nice image where as my HW30 I have to leave it on high.

Overall

For those on the fence between this unit and say an Epson I would say this choice is subjective as the higher-end Epson's have a nicer PQ with low hours on the bulb IMO, but the Optoma definitely has a "pop" factor not present in those units and excellent 3D. Compared to an Epson 8700 (owned this for several months) the JVC HD250 & Sony HW30 (which I own) there is no comparison for quality but those units are twice as expensive. I've also owned just about every brand of 720p 3D projectors over the past 2 years (literally 6 or more trying to find one with a good offset/brightness/zoom/shortthrow vs long, etc.) and the HD33 is much nicer then any 720p unit I've seen in all regards. As far as 1080p 3D goes this thing is a bargain and would be perfectly fine for most people. Once you get a higher end unit that is double or triple the cost you often get spoiled with the features.

I will post more after I watch Rio 3D tonight and get some gaming in.
post #815 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
jmalto,

Nice feedback. What kind of screen you got? I'm RBE sensitive and using a HP 2.8g w/ my HW15. The GB and NO NFL game last night was spectacular in 2D, even w/ a 20w bulb on for a 106 screen from 15 feet away.

Do you see rainbow w/ the HD33?
post #816 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

Yes. The red tint is definitely there. Reminds me of how DLP rear projection TV's do dlp-link.

You mean it looks good then right? I do not have a problem with that method as my Samsung does it and I love the IQ. Man I should have waited three months but this unit might be for me. I was just going to use the GT750 and my 8350 for my big screen needs but this has changed.......everything. If these affordable 1080p 3d units had been announced three months ago I could certainly have waited. I wonder why Optoma decided to put the DC3 chip in the 750?
post #817 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I wonder why Optoma decided to put the DC3 chip in the 750?

It is in the 720 as well. My guess is to combat what the increased lumen's from it do to the grey-scale. The absence of zoom lens optics offset the cost difference possibly.
post #818 of 5315 Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

It is in the 720 as well. My guess is to combat what the increased lumen's from it do to the grey-scale. The absence of zoom lens optics offset the cost difference possibly.

Good point. 3000 lumens too. Hmmm. I just need a good 3d PJ since I have a 1080 2d one. Might go back to the old plan. Of course it would be a nobrainer if I had not purchased the 8350 a few months ago. The 750 with the speakers and portability can go out back in a big hurry and do 3d in man cave just as fast. Crap! The 720 I tried a while back was a very capable unit, just not 1080p. Ugggh.
post #819 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanscion View Post

i'm having a similar issue! everytime I hit refresh on the forum page, nobody from AVS says that they shipped the 3300's out. guess i'll just keep trying!

LOL...yep...I keep checking multiple times daily as well as email to see if I get the "Your PJ has shipped!!!" message.

No luck so far!!!

Murphy's New Law --
"If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks it was meant to"
post #820 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My apologies in advance if my response seems argumentative, as that's not my intent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

So I got the projector hooked up and "somewhat" in an acceptable position. My shelf is definitely not good for a DLP without lense shift and I had to put a bunch of boxes under the projector to get it angled down enough to get the picture centered. The zoom is also not enough to fill my 140" screen so this one will definitely be going back after I play with it some more.

Did you buy it just to review it, or were you originally thinking about keeping it? I ask because it sounds like the placement limitations don't work for your room, but could have easily determined that before you purchased it by checking Projector Central's calculator.

Quote:

The picture actually appears the same brightness as my HW30 which really surprises me given DLP is supposed to be so much brighter but I am not sure if it is in low lamp mode or high. I haven't used the unit enough to say this is a fact so I will play with it some more to see.

The other thing I want to mention is this projector is pretty bright. I'd say under normal light conditions on LOW, it produces a very similar image to my Sony on high bulb mode. I was actually under the impression that the Optoma was in high output mode and was shocked to see this thing was in the lowest setting. As mentioned previously I have a 140" screen and I do not feel it needs to be in high output to produce a nice image where as my HW30 I have to leave it on high.

Please clarify...these two statements appear to contradict eachother.

Quote:

Compared to an Epson 8700 (owned this for several months) the JVC HD250 & Sony HW30 (which I own) there is no comparison for quality but those units are twice as expensive.

For fun, I just checked, and the Sony HW30 appears to be going for at least $3500, so it's actually more than twice as expensive. I was actually a bit surprised that Bill Livolsi at Projector Central made no mention of how the Optoma HD33 compares to the Sony VPL-HW30ES, considering that he reviewed the Sony just a week prior. You state that there's "no comparison for quality" but you actually credit the Optoma as being better than the Sony on certain qualities (e.g., 3D crosstalk and possibly brightness).

For me, I'm not interested in spending over $3,000 on a projector, but if I can feel like I'm getting a huge upgrade (over my old Panasonic AE-700U 720p LCD) for about $1500, that definitely gets me interested. The main concern for me is that it will be more time-consuming to set up, since it lacks the placement flexibility of my Panny, but it should still work fine in my room.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #821 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I had a AE900 a AX100 also, the HD33 would be a worthy upgrade. I'd say the blacks and black details will be better, it's much brighter, very sharp images, plus the 1080p/3D.
That should be enough to hold you over.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #822 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Pardon the stupid question but does anyone have a link to the VESA cable that would allow me to use the ten pairs of Samsung glasses I already have, with this projector? Or am I simply an idiot for thinking that's possible?
post #823 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pinky View Post

Pardon the stupid question but does anyone have a link to the VESA cable that would allow me to use the ten pairs of Samsung glasses I already have, with this projector? Or am I simply an idiot for thinking that's possible?

hey not 100% sure, but this looks like what you need: http://ultimate3dheaven.com/3dtrformisa3.html
post #824 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanscion View Post

hey not 100% sure, but this looks like what you need: http://ultimate3dheaven.com/3dtrformisa3.html

Excellent. Thank you, sir!

Now for the next stupid question. That looks like about a six foot long cable and I would think the ideal placement would be at the front of the room where the screen is... about 14 feet away in my case. So, what am I missing? Do you just extend the cable and mount it on the screen wall somewhere or does it just mount on top of the PJ and then the IR bounces off the screen to the glasses?

I can't thank everyone enough for the help, BTW. I was going to wait on the Epson 3010 but that zero offset is going to be a deal breaker for me as I don't want the PJ hanging that low on a ceiling mount so I'm about 96.2% sure the HD33 is going to be my new projector so I'm now getting into the nitty gritty questions I had. Thanks again...
post #825 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
what's the best mount to fit the optoma?
post #826 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How do you plan to mount it, ceiling / wall etc. If ceiling a chief universal mount is good. The projector uses 4mm screws with a universal you can just line them up. There's cheap universals also on ebay.

I use a wierd cheese box universal for a wall mount.,
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/hd33mount1.jpg

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #827 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

where can u buy hd3300 projector?
post #828 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pinky View Post
Excellent. Thank you, sir!

Now for the next stupid question. That looks like about a six foot long cable and I would think the ideal placement would be at the front of the room where the screen is... about 14 feet away in my case. So, what am I missing? Do you just extend the cable and mount it on the screen wall somewhere or does it just mount on top of the PJ and then the IR bounces off the screen to the glasses?
I have that emitter that ultimate 3d heaven sells. I just place it on the projector right above the lens and aim it at the screen. Have had no sync problems. I have no desire to go RF since this set-up (I have the ir ultra-clear glasses) has worked very well. You will just need to reverse the sync in the 3d menu of the Optoma HD33 every time you play 3d. Takes 10 seconds.
post #829 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
How do you plan to mount it, ceiling / wall etc. If ceiling a chief universal mount is good. The projector uses 4mm screws with a universal you can just line them up. There's cheap universals also on ebay.

I am trying to mount the HD3300 as close to the ceiling as possible, is the Chief RPAU the lowest profile out there? How low does it mount?

I found another one by Focupix that claims 2.5" from ceiling to top of projector.
post #830 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus
what's the best mount to fit the optoma?
I'm using a Sanus, little expensive but works perfect and includes a drop down
Pole if required.
post #831 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM

I have Sony 3D glasses/emitter:

Sony TDG-BR100 (Adult) & TDG-BR50 (kid) Size 3D Active Glasses.
Sony TMR-BR100 Emitter

Could these be used with HD33 ?
post #832 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post
where can u buy hd3300 projector?
You can only get the HD3300 from a Cedia dealer, guess what AVS right here is a Cedia dealer. Contact one of their reps, I here they're giving a nice discount. Don't forget to order glasses they're discounting these also.
(Pls support AVS were we all hang out and hv been hanging for years)

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #833 of 5315 Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post
I am trying to mount the HD3300 as close to the ceiling as possible, is the Chief RPAU the lowest profile out there? How low does it mount?

I found another one by Focupix that claims 2.5" from ceiling to top of projector.
The chiefs are the kings of flush mounts, look no further. Chief Universal.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #834 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:

The chiefs are the kings of flush mounts, look no further. Chief Universal.

I'll need a drop pole. Are those available for the chiefs?
post #835 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes they have drop poles as an accessory.

These Chief mounts thow very good are a little costly, well over $100. You could search the web for something cheaper.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #836 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

interesting mount there! i like it.

i think i'll go with a chief universal. leaning towards the 3300 also. i am hoping my draper onyx 120" works ok with the 3d. It's been plenty bright enough for me with the two projectors i have owned (Infocus 7200 and Epson 1080ub) but 3d is another story maybe?
post #837 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

other HD33, HD3300 owners....would you be so kind as to post your reviews here ? (impressions, potential issuew, settings etc) as this would help us to compare notes as we seem to be the first batch of customers and need to help each other out in weeding out any "gotchas"

I have already posted my review and single most thing that I am a little concerned about is the BabyMoo sound when switching between 2D and 3D

Also like another member, I received my box naked and the side flap is almost open....I could see the remote, CD, some AV cable, power cord in a ziplockbag even before I opened the box. The only other thing that was outside this bad is the RF emitter in a small white box. Is this all in the box ? Did something fall out ?
post #838 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, I tried the 2D->3D conversion feature on Toystory 3 2D BluRay using my Samsung 6700 and I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. Will try it on live action movies sometime.

I invited a few friends over and gave them a 2D/3D demo and boy did their jaws drop ! One of them has changed his opinion on Projectors and is now going to try this out !

I watched a few 2D and 3D movies and I realized that this PJ is too bright (and gave me mild headache when I watched in pitch dark, so I wil be truning on a few lights in the room to lower the contrast of the screen to background wall)

Tried to play KZ3 and Avatar in 3D and I quickly learnt that 3D games are not for me as its way too immersive. I guess I will stick to 3D movies for now where the action is far less jarring. Evenso, the 2D version of KZ3 looks breathtaking on HD33...I am finding guitarman's settings are working well...even feel brighter than I like.
post #839 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

I am finding guitarman's settings are working well...even feel brighter than I like.

Are you using bright lamp mode ?

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #840 of 5315 Old 09-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Are you using bright lamp mode ?

No...that was the first thing i checked to make sure Lamp is preserved. BTW I dont see Color/Tint that he saw.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page