AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

At least on paper....

I know some guys hate this but the HD3300 has all hand picked parts to make it the best it can be. The other stuff goes over to the conveyor belt to build the rest of the projectors. All is not equal. I got this information from the gentleman that builds them not a promo guy.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Got my HD33 today. This is my first 3D PJ. Also have a Panny PT-AE4000U 2D PJ. I'm blown away by 3D... watched bits of 'Megamind', 'Tangled', 'IMAX Under the Sea' and a couple others. Called my wife and 6-year-old daughter and they wanted to keep watching 'Tangled'. At first, the PJ would not pick up the HDMI output from my Onkyo TX-SR608, only directly from my Panny DMP-BDT110 3D Blu-ray player. Disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cables and it worked, but seems a little finicky.

Using default Cinema mode (no calibration yet) for now, and the PQ seems quite good. Bright enough for me, but I have a fully light-controlled HT room. However, being used to the flexibility of my Panny AE4000U, I can tell the placement of the Optoma HD33 is going to be a challenge. For now, I just have it on a table in front of the sofa, but will likely need to ceiling-mount it. 2D PQ is quite good, but my Panny AE4000U is better, so I'm leaning toward keeping it, especially as I often use its lens memory feature to watch scope movies on my Dalite HP screen.

But, if you're on the fence about 3D, trust me, jump in with the HD33. At the price, it's well worth it.

I got the same effect, wow wow wow from my daughter and her boyfriend. They said this 3D looks better than in the movie theater. My wife flipped out for it also, no problem talking her into it she said buy this now it's too much fun. I'll be getting the HD3300. Hey colors are very very good better than I'm use to, blacks are great, contrast is great, very bright. We're going to have a very large club with these puppies. I wouldn't call this a entry projector, no way except for the price.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #993 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

What lenses are you using ?

I'm still on the fence about which lenses to get.

You mean 3D glasses? I'm using the Optoma BG-3DRF glasses. As I'm new to 3D, figured I'd get these as they seem to be recommended by Optoma for use w/the HD33/3300.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #994 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

You mean 3D glasses? I'm using the Optoma BG-3DRF glasses. As I'm new to 3D, figured I'd get these as they seem to be recommended by Optoma for use w/the HD33/3300.

So, I take it you aren't experiencing any of the issues falafala had with the RF glasses ?

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #995 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, looks fantastic. But, having never tried DLP-link, I don't know if they'd be better. Watched about 2+ hours this evening (was glued to various 3D Blu-rays).

post #996 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
Two questions for the experts. I tied to check the firmware version of my HD33 projector this evening and I cannot find it anywhere in the menus or the boot up screen, any ideals. Second, some people on this thread have been talking about tuning adjustments for the RF glasses. I can find no information about this procedure.
post #997 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Has anyone tried wired glasses ?

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/3dhapa23dgl3.html

This might work for us since the projector will be placed right behind and we won't be walking around with the glasses on. I can buy the RF or DLP Link glasses once the dust settles down. My wife doesn't want to try anything RF now (thanks to cellphone health hazard reports).

post #998 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemomtt View Post

Two questions for the experts. I tied to check the firmware version of my HD33 projector this evening and I cannot find it anywhere in the menus or the boot up screen, any ideals.

Just go to menu -> system. Up top in the blue bar next to the menu title "system" you'll see your firmware.

I'm on: C01

PSN: futurecode
post #999 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

Just go to menu -> system. Up top in the blue bar next to the menu title "system" you'll see your firmware.

I'm on: C01

Thanks, I found it and I am C01 as well. Does anyone know anything about a firmware distribution. There is nothing on the Optoma web site.
post #1000 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Nice review and photos kraine. Expecting my HD33 delivery today, so excited as this is my first 3D anything after seeing 'Avatar' in the theater 2 years ago.

Avatar is going to look better in your home. You'll see! The HD33 is really amazing. Incredible out of the box 3D, just wish it had more placement flexibility, excellent PQ overall.
post #1001 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Has anyone tried wired glasses ?

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/3dhapa23dgl3.html

This might work for us since the projector will be placed right behind and we won't be walking around with the glasses on. I can buy the RF or DLP Link glasses once the dust settles down. My wife doesn't want to try anything RF now (thanks to cellphone health hazard reports).

Those are the same type as the old IO Display wired and wireless glasses that I used to use. http://www.i-glassesstore.com/h3dsystems.html

The wired type have slightly better cancellation over the wireless version of the same brand, but trust me - All wired glasses are a real pain. Tangles, tripping over cables, lack of free movement, etc..

You could go with DLP-Link, but they wouldn't play well together with the RF glasses, should you eventually want to use both. The PJ in the LINK mode activates the red DLP-link (sync) flash. The DLP link glasses don't show the sync flash, but the RF glasses (with the PJ in the DLP link mode) would show the red Link signal. To have the RF glasses show the 3D image clean, you would want DLP-Link in the PJ deactivated.
post #1002 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

... All wired glasses are a real pain. Tangles, tripping over cables, lack of free movement, etc..

Yes. That should convince my wife to go with rf

I was wondering whether the glasses would handle 120hz.

post #1003 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Guitarman, can you please send the link for the ceiling mount you have again thank you?
post #1004 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Yes. That should convince my wife to go with rf

I was wondering whether the glasses would handle 120hz.

Most of the active 3-D glasses from the late 1990's up are able to do 120hz.
post #1005 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

Guitarman, can you please resent me think for the ceiling mount you have?

I'm using a wall mount where you mount the projector upside down under a plate. Ceiling mounts go to Ebay look for universal ceiling mounts with a drop down pole if you need it, or more flush type universals.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1006 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemomtt View Post

Thanks, I found it and I am C01 as well. Does anyone know anything about a firmware distribution. There is nothing on the Optoma web site.

Well you have an early shipment with C01, C02 adds just the Color and Tint to some signals like 1080p24hz HDMI. If you want that you need to arange with customer support at Optoma to install it for you. They should cover the shipping both ways. It's up to you whether you need this color control / tint is a given it stayed at zero when I looked at tuning it. Again up to you.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1007 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Well you have an early shipment with C01, C02 adds just the Color and Tint to some signals like 1080p24hz HDMI. If you want that you need to arange with customer support at Optoma to install it for you. They should cover the shipping both ways.

I wish they would make it field upgradeable by end customers - already. It is 2011 !

post #1008 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well it must be on this one it has to be done at the factory, that's if you really need it. You decide.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1009 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Well it must be on this one it has to be done at the factory, that's if you really need it. You decide.

wondering how safe it is fir lamp life to be tossed around in shipping ?
post #1010 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish they would make it field upgradeable by end customers - already. It is 2011 !

Agreed, lame on their part. I hate that from manufacturers and it is 2011. I guess this makes it an entry level 1080p PJ along with other specs like the CR despite what posters will have you believe. That does not mean it is a bad entry level 1080p PJ, just means it is a 4-5k:1 PJ. DLP does have good pop and no convergance issues.
post #1011 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM

My HD33 is C01 as well.

Dont know about it being an early shipment however. This one was a replacement direct from Optoma that I got late last week for the 1st one I received that was defective. The First was also C01, and S/N ended in 036, this one ends in 321.

BTW-Optoma and my dealer were awesome about taking care of me! I love the PQ on this projector and am not worried about the firmware at this point.
post #1012 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There's no getting around it, if you feel you need the latest firmware for this tint control it will have to be sent in. Who knows there may be newer firmwares down the road. Hope not things seem pretty good as they are.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1013 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Any legacy 7.1 high end receiver guys don't buy this Samsung BD6800 I got or any 7.1 samsung. It has no volume level control over the 7.1 analog outs. After hearing the beauty of my Arcam this evening I'm on the hunt for a 3D player that is built correctly. Looks like it's a Panasonic. All I heard with the Sammy is a blasting center channel that couldn't be lowered. POS

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1014 of 5315 Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Any legacy 7.1 high end receiver guys don't buy this Samsung BD6800 I got or any 7.1 samsung. It has no volume level control over the 7.1 analog outs. After hearing the beauty of my Arcam this evening I'm on the hunt for a 3D player that is built correctly. Looks like it's a Panasonic. All I heard with the Sammy is a blasting center channel that couldn't be lowered. POS

Looks like - to use your Arcam amp with multiple sources, you would need a pre-pro. That way you can use it both for both BD & cable/satellite. Ofcourse, those aren't cheap.

Infact I was looking around - even receivers with pre-amp outs aren't cheap. Those used to be available in low end receivers earlier.

post #1015 of 5315 Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

My wife doesn't want to try anything RF now (thanks to cellphone health hazard reports).

Did some searches on the net, didn't come across anything really about rf 3d glasses and health problems. Just vision fatigue, headaches, motion sickness etc. I would think 3d glasses would be alot lower power than say a cell phone.
post #1016 of 5315 Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

i am wondering what kind of projector screen do you guys buy? high gain screen or low gain screen (normal projector screen)?
post #1017 of 5315 Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman

I'm using a wall mount where you mount the projector upside down under a plate. Ceiling mounts got to Ebay look for universal ceiling mounts with a drop down pole if you need it, or more flush type universals.
Thanks Guitarman, after looking at my request I apologize for the spelling, my iPhone changed a few words and I didn't see that until just now. I'm really interested in the adjustment capability you have with that mount.
post #1018 of 5315 Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i am wondering what kind of projector screen do you guys buy? high gain screen or low gain screen (normal projector screen)?
I'm using what I already had... a Dalite High Power 2.8 gain 100" screen. I plan to ceiling-mount my HD33 this weekend, but using a table set-up for now, works just fine w/this screen.

post #1019 of 5315 Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
2D PQ is quite good, but my Panny AE4000U is better, so I'm leaning toward keeping it
Would you be willing to expand on this a bit? I have a AE3000U, and I am hoping to replace it with the 33 or 3300.
post #1020 of 5315 Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The advantage the Panny or other DI machines has is when a very dark scene comes up the iris closes the light level way down making the dark look blacker and everything else around it also. Not really a true contrast you should know that.

My guess is the Ansi contrast on these Optomas is double what the pannys are. Ansi the ability to show black and white at the same time at a good level, it's pretty important. You'll see it in the Back to the Future Twin Pines screenshot I put in the first post.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page