post #91 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

400 more lumens but after just tuning 2D down lets make it 775 more lumens.

Thanks for your efforts to report on the HD33. I know you said you left the 3D at its default settings for that mode except for a small adjustment on the brightness control. How about the white levels? Is overall white, or any of the three individual primary color channels, starting to clip below level 235 (as you reported white did with the default 2D mode), and if so can you turn down the contrast contrast control to correct this and then measure lumens again for 3D mode. Finally how about a lumens measurement for 3D taken thru the 3D glasses (with the glasses placed in front of the lightmeter sensor). I found a simple way to to this for 3D with my JVC projector is to feed a full screen 100% test white pattern to the projector in 1080i mode then force the projector into a 3D display mode as if the input signal were a 1080i side-by-side signal.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sounds like this is essentially an HD20 with 3d ability. May not be an all in one pj solution for many of us picky people.
post #93 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Sounds like this is essentially an HD20 with 3d ability. May not be an all in one pj solution for many of us picky people.

why do you say that ? I have a HD66 and am thinking of replacing that with this....should i wait for another projector better than HD33 (in what way) ?
post #94 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

is a bit lame if this confirm. for me 2D is much more important than 3D (but will be a good bonus) and for 1500$ will exist projector that offer much better IQ than optoma HD20.

projectorreview will launch review soon and than we can take final conclusion.
post #95 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey don't get me wrong here. This will probably be the top selling 3d pj this year that will be great for many people. My comments are geared toward many on this forum (myself included) who expect more. If you are coming from an HD66, expect higher resolution, but everything else almost the same.
post #96 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Hey don't get me wrong here. This will probably be the top selling 3d pj this year that will be great for many people. My comments are geared toward many on this forum (myself included) who expect more. If you are coming from an HD66, expect higher resolution, but everything else almost the same.

i was expecting much better quality in 2D than HD20 but seems this will not goona happen. i want 3D for a good price but between a average IQ and 3D or very good IQ in 2D and no 3D i dont think twice and i go to second choice.

still i have a bit of hope that 2D IQ on HD33 will be much better than HD20...if this happen this will be my 1st projector. xD
post #97 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM

Liked: 13
Would have liked to have seen it made with DC3.
post #98 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

I am currently using a HD66 for 3d with my Nvidia 3D Vision PC setup and a JVC RS1 for 2d viewing in my theater. I am really happy with the results I get from this setup. However, I like the thought of being able to bring a dedicated 3d blu-ray player into the mix by using this projector since it has (2) hdmi inputs. This would allow me to continue to use the PC for 3D gaming (which is wonderful!) but also allow me to stop using the HTPC software for movie viewing. I use total media theater 5 which is great until it decides to hiccup and stop playing for whatever reason. (I already have a 3d blu-ray player that I got for free with a 3d tv purchase last year that is sitting in my closet not being used since I have my PS3 connected to the tv. Would love to be able to put it to use!)

Couple of questions:

1. I assume that this projector will work with Nvidia 3d Vision the same way the HD66 does at a 720p resolution without having to do any kind of inf hacks?

2. I notice the lumens on the HD33 are rated at 1800 whereas the HD66 is rated at 2500. I know that 3d needs as many lumens as possible so would this difference cause a noticeable decrease in perceived brightness on the HD33? This would pretty much be a deal breaker for me because I already wish for a little more brightness in some of the content that I play now on the HD66. I don't really think the increase in resolution to 1080p for 3d movies would be worth a sacrifice in brightness.

thanks and look forward to your further impressions!

I reviewed the Optoma HD65 which is the same as the HD66 just not 3D. Lumens on the HD66 were just 200 more than the numbers on the HD33. The HD33 colorwise should look way better and easier to get in tune the D65k (2D) with it's RGB/RGB wheel.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #99 of 5315 Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Oddly I was able to install the HD33 in my Home which has a limited wall to wall distance and it fit with the 106" screen. So the set calculator is a little off, plus the PJ has a digital vertical shift you can lessen the offset by a couple of inches.

Now it's on the High Power screen but out of the cone and probably just 1.0 gain. Be back with further impressions on the new setup.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #100 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 AM

Liked: 17
I think I might just go for the HC4000 instead. Don't care about 3D performance. 2D picture quality is more important for me right now.
post #101 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

I think I might just go for the HC4000 instead. Don't care about 3D performance. 2D picture quality is more important for me right now.

I've got a preorder in for the H33, but, the HC4000 with DC3 seems to be the go-to budget 1080P 2D. I've had an Optoma HD80 with DC2 and thought it kicked ass, so, leaving 3D aside, what do you guys think - Darkchip 2 or 3?

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #102 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

I've got a preorder in for the H33, but, the HC4000 with DK3 seems to be the go-to budget 1080P 2D. I've had an Optoma HD80 with DK2 and thought it kicked ass, so, leaving 3D aside, what do you guys think - Darkchip 2 or 3?

It's kinda hard to leave 3D aside though, 3D 1080p is the wild-card for the HD33. DC3 and the HC4000 will more than likely yield you a 2D image with better blacks, but it will never do 3D 1080p..... ever.

So the question I am sure that is facing many buyers is, should I buy a projector that does both 2D & 3D reasonably well in a market with $3k street prices as the only alternative at this point, or one that can only do 2D exceptionally well?

Of course we got Projectorreviews and ProjectorCentral's reviews both coming soon too. I am holding my debit card until I have heard their thoughts as well.
post #103 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm really looking forward to a comparison between the Sharp HE XVZ17000 and the new Optoma's. I was pretty set on the Sharp until I read the press releases from Optoma last week.
post #104 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't post any negatives so.

At first I noticed rainbows easy by moving my eyes around. This is probably do to the very high brightness. I'm not rainbow challenged don't get headaches and don't see them allot. If you're one of the 5% that gets affected this PJ isn't for you.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #105 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4Signal View Post

I'm really looking forward to a comparison between the Sharp HE XVZ17000 and the new Optoma's. I was pretty set on the Sharp until I read the press releases from Optoma last week.

I am in the same position. For me, I am very interested in 3D and I am looking for the best possible 3D performance. From what I have read so far, the Sharp seems to be the best 3D performer. However, I am very interested to see how the Optoma HD33 compares with the Sharp in terms of 3D performance. Perhaps Guitarman has seen the Sharp and he could give an overview on how they compare with each other (3D wise of course).

atabea
post #106 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the big question is how much of a difference in 2d is there between something like the Mitsubishi HC4000 and this HD33. Without tangible real contrast numbers it's hard to know unless you've witnessed both side by side. From comparisons between the HC4000 and the older Optoma HD20, it seems like the Mits is noticeably better.

I have another layer of complexity to my decision. I currently use an Acer H5360 for 3d. It is only 720p, but it is DarkChip3! So now do I give up contrast for resolution? The contrast/black level on the Acer seems on par with the Mitsubishi HC4000.
post #107 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

I am in the same position. For me, I am very interested in 3D and I am looking for the best possible 3D performance. From what I have read so far, the Sharp seems to be the best 3D performer. However, I am very interested to see how the Optoma HD33 compares with the Sharp in terms of 3D performance. Perhaps Guitarman has seen the Sharp and he could give an overview on how they compare with each other (3D wise of course).

atabea

The Sharp contains a DarkChip3 plus an Iris, thus much better contrast and black level performance. As for actual 3d performance, it seems like all dlp's excel at 3d so I don't think you can go wrong with any 3d dlp. Just my opinion.

If you want to compare apples to apples, the higher end Optoma hd8300 would be a fair comparison to the Sharp.
post #108 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

atabea

From Art's review of the Z17000 looks like 3D will be a wash with maybe the HD33 being a little brighter. 2D will look much better on the Sharp. A ND2 filter on the HD33 would help the 2D performance.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #109 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From Art's review of the Z17000 looks like 3D will be a wash with maybe the HD33 being a little brighter. 2D will look much better on the Sharp. A ND2 filter on the HD33 would help the 2D performance.

Thanks Guitarman, I am not worried about 2D performance since I intend to keep my current project (Inforcus IN83) strictly for 2D movies. Since I am only concerned about getting the best possible 3D performance, it looks like the HD33 might be a better bet than the Sharp because:

1) The price is significantly lower
2) The 3D performance is a "wash"
3) It is ("a little") brighter than the Sharp (which, I understand is extremely important for 3D)
4) I won't be using the Optoma for 2D viewing.

If there are any other important consideration that I am overlooking, please point them out. I would really like to make the right decision on this.

atabea
post #110 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The rainbows I was seeing I relize are from the 6x gain of the Silverstar. Now with the PJ in the house I seeing 1.0 gain and didn't notice rainbows. The fan sound of the projector is very good also, it's a smooth dull sound very low in econo and not bad in bright. I've been using the PJ in econo with the fan on high altitude and it doesn't bother me. Pjs about 6' away from me though.

You know the HD3300 is a good deal also because it comes with a 3yrs on the PJ and 2yrs on the lamp warranty, the black case look nice also. It has to be purchased from a Cedia dealer like Alan at AVS. You can barter with Alan so it might be worth a look (buy AVS).

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #111 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

The rainbows I was seeing I relize are from the 6x gain of the Silverstar. Now with the PJ in the house I seeing 1.0 gain and didn't notice rainbows. The fan sound of the projector is very good also, it's a smooth dull sound very low in econo and not bad in bright. I've been using the PJ in econo with the fan on high altitude and it doesn't bother me. Pjs about 6' away from me though.

You know the HD3300 is a good deal also because it comes with a 3yrs on the PJ and 2yrs on the lamp warranty, the black case look nice also. It has to be purchased from a Cedia dealer like Alan at AVS. You can barter with Alan so it might be worth a look (buy AVS).

Thanks for clarifying, I have noticed based on the tech specs, that the HD33 is rated significantly quieter than the HD20, about 5 fewer decibels on both modes. Maybe it is the new case design, which also eliminated the front vents.
post #112 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Sorry to question this again, but I still am not 100% that it's a 6-speed color wheel then, because if you see rainbows it is highly unlikely someone that is not sensitive to rainbows would see them with a 6x color wheel. That is odd, even with too much gain.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #113 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

Thanks for clarifying, I have noticed based on the tech specs, that the HD33 is rated significantly quieter than the HD20, about 5 fewer decibels on both modes. Maybe it is the new case design, which also eliminated the front vents.

Yes this is a brand new platform, not based on earlier models. It doesn't have a huge amount of light spill also. You can see just a faint glow in one of the side vents.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #114 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Sorry to question this again, but I still am not 100% that it's a 6-speed color wheel then, because if you see rainbows it is highly unlikely someone that is not sensitive to rainbows would see them with a 6x color wheel. That is odd, even with too much gain.

It's RGB/RGB alright.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #115 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you have a chance to take on/off contrast measurements? Do 2d movies look washed out in dark scenes/shadow detail? Thanks.
post #116 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here my Engineering Mgr buddy gave me this great info today.

"While HD33 and HD20 do share some optical components to get the economy of scale, the electronics and chassis of HD33 is totally revamped to display 3D and enhance 2D also.

The color wheel speed is faster to give less rainbow, the new bigger chassis also makes the projector a bit quieter and no front grill eliminates the tiny amount light spill that some users have shown concern with HD20

The data bandwidth and processing power has to be at least doubled internally in order to display 3D 1080p at 120Hz

With such extra bandwidth and processing power on hand, the 2D image quality is also significantly enhanced.

DMD mirrors can now turn on and off even faster – this translates to even better color and grayscale rendering.

This improvement is more easily noticeable in a dark scene – the dithering noises are much less noticeable and give smoother dark details

This extra processing power also helps to improve the image digitally

- PureDetails, can sharpen the image selectively, the edges and corners of the image is sharpened but not the noises

- PureColor can enhance the color selectively makes less saturated color more saturated but already saturated colors will not be too oversaturated

- PureMotion – this is Optoma’s frame interpolation technology that works in both 2D and 3D, not only can it eliminate motion judder, it can also make fast action sport or action movie visibly clearer to see by adding interpolating frames. (note the default setting is a bit conservative, to intentionally keep a small amount of judder to give some resemblance of film)"

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #117 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 PM

A reviewer in China did a recent calibration and review of the HD33 and overall was impressed, he took some screen-shots too. He compared its 3D performance to the Sharp XV-Z17000 several times, saying in best mode the HD33 was brighter and had less image "cross-talk". I used Google Translate to read it...nice screens but the review is choppy broken English from Google, but you get the idea....those 2D images are absolutely sharp.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

"Test with the equipment are as follows:
Screen: Grandview 130-inch fixed-frame 1.0 gain
Player: SONY PS3
Software:CalMan Pro"

2D snapshots

3D snapshots

"2D performance:
Brother mentioned above show the stereo color performance for the HD33 not satisfied, the use of AVCHD software testing confirmed the black level and white level is correct, select the original movie mode, playback, change the factory defaults without the state , the machine is indeed found that this lack of color density, the player I am familiar with the dark knight, the skin tones look people, actually somewhat sallow. If a theater projector can not show natural skin tones, then realism in depicting other objects to be marked with a big discount, this little brother once again put on testing the software with the AVCHD type THX blue filter glasses to adjust the color saturation (Color), color (Tint) to adjust, slowly back to the default value right after the Dark Knight, played again and verify the results back and forth to adjust color levels, there really familiar with the color, red and facial expression to the spirit of I enjoy good movies, the scene depicted objects are more real and natural.

I think the quality adjusted to the satisfaction of value, began testing plug technology, Optoma's dynamic complement PureMotion, provided the original strength of three sections to choose from, according to the business to say, this generation is able to Optoma's PureMotion 1080/24p picture multiplier to 144p, but individuals or brother will be in the weakest of the stalls that period, a better overall balance, the stall a little sense of a slight shake of 24p, but will not fast-moving scenes found significant flaws, if will PureMotion open to the highest, I think I may be more appropriate animation.

3D performance:
In 3D mode, the machine starts automatically when the lamp output will increase wear 3D glasses to balance the brightness after the impairment, because I saw the HD33 developing sound broadcast is a 3D Avatar, so this time I test first while the 3D Avatar of the performance of this experience I am also totally destroyed by this machine is not saturated color impression. And refinements of the same headquarters as the SHARP Z17000 DLP compared, Optoma HD33's brightness is better than Z17000, plus PureMotion dynamic fill plug, the overall effect is even more advantage of 3D, 3D Just Dance 19 chapters very exciting final showdown The dancers cross fast-moving light and shadows dark scenes to highlight the advantages of DLP high ANSI contrast. 3D Train Your Dragon 3D animation section 6 of the protagonist and the Phantom first flight, I will open to the highest test HD33 PureMotion fast-moving scenes in the capability, ah .. good, no let me check any unnatural feel to the map as an error. Overall, this HD33's 3D effect is excellent, completely Cross talk phenomenon (3D film series), as in the first half of the performance of SHARP Z17000, plus more bright light output and PureMotion dynamic plug up, more than 60,000 Taiwan dollars the price is very suitable for 3D images of the players are interested to consider."

Quote:

Yes this is a brand new platform, not based on earlier models. It doesn't have a huge amount of light spill also. You can see just a faint glow in one of the side vents.

I am starting to believe that this and the HD20 are apples & oranges. They both share the same DMD chip, but the updated video processing and other features added to the HD33 makes it a totally different bird.
post #118 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

You are starting to sound rather optimistic Dr. Negative.
post #119 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Man, I wish I could read what the chinese reviewer is saying. This is EXACTLY the 3D comparison (Sharp xv-z17000 vs Optoma hd33) I am interested in. I tried using the Yahoo translator but there is no way the translation is accurate since what I read makes little sense and was very incoherent. Oh well, hopefully we will have an english shootout between these two projectors some time soon.
post #120 of 5315 Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You are starting to sound rather optimistic Dr. Negative.

Yes Dr. Negative is so positive about it that he added some images to Amazon website for this product
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page