New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That will give you some extrat gain. Ref viewing is eyes 1/3 up from the bottom of a screen. I'd love to tiny table mount my PJ under the screen between two chairs but my wife doesn't want me to change the living room setup. Woman can't live without them and it's hard living with the rules.

I should say she paid for the house in cash and we we own it outright and it's a fine home. I'll listen to her a bit.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnsmith808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My personal preference has always been for my eyes to be almost in the center of the screen. Especially with 3d material in 1.78:1 ratio, it makes you feel like you are flying!
johnsmith808 is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Amber Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can't wait to hear about gaming on this thing
Amber Ale is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Member
 
paul77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really interested in this projector as an upgrade to my acer h5360 bd.

My problem is my screen is 7" from ceiling, can you measure the amount the picture can be moved down, the manual mentions the vertical shift option

If I can get 2-3 inch shift I might get a custom made mount to sit projector nearly flush to ceiling, might need a tiny bit of keystone
paul77 is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
evnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul77 View Post

If I can get 2-3 inch shift I might get a custom made mount to sit projector nearly flush to ceiling, might need a tiny bit of keystone

The user manual mentions 50 (assuming pixels) as the vertical shift - that would be about 5%. If your screen is 10' wide - you will get about 3" vertical shift.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
evnow is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Member
 
paul77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen is 100" diagnol inch wide any idea what would I be looking at??

Sorry can't do the math
paul77 is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Member
 
RamaJama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following this thread from the beginning. Starting getting excited and have some questions, so I had to register.

I've got a dedicated room in my basement for my theater. Total light control, 1.0 gain screen and a NEC LT150z (Hey it was great at the time and the room hasn't been used much in the last 5 years after having a kid.)

I used to only watch movies down there. Now I want to make it more of a multi-purpose room. Movies 2D and 3D, gaming, sports, maybe some normal HDTV. I would like good quality on all types of viewing, but I don't need great. I'd like to throw a 100" to 106" screen. So here are my questions:

- It sounds like given the right conditions the HD33 may provide good, but not great quality for all uses I'm interested in. True?
- Will the 1.0 gain screen be bright enough for 3D in a totally dark room?
- Will the 1.0 gain screen be bright enough for sports? I'd like to watch with some ambient light, but not fully bright.
- Are there different brightness modes that can be calibrated? Wondering if these could function as adequate replacement for ISF Day/Night mode on the 3300.
- Seen some contradictory information, is the 3300 actually brighter? If so, is it enough to make a difference for my sports viewing.

Thanks for the help. I've really enjoyed this thread. Haven't looked at projector tech in 10 years and have gotten a lot of great information. I was about to pull the trigger on the Epson 8350 last week. Didn't think I cared anything about 3D. Then saw Harry Potter on IMax 3D. Amazing.
RamaJama is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
2" on the shift, 100" the PJ's center lens needs to be 7.8" above. You'll have to use keystone.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
 
Benito Joaquin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

Can't wait to hear about gaming on this thing

Same here....I'm currently gaming on a JVC unit but would like to see what this Optoma could do!

Benito
Benito Joaquin is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
robl45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
trying to decide between this and the upcoming optoma GT 3d projector. don't know that I really need the 1080 and double the price. is the picture quality that much better?
robl45 is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gaming? I took a look with my xbox 360 at Black opps and Crysis 2/3D. Set the pure motion to medium. Motion looked great with fast action the games have a ton of it. The 3D games speed motion was great but I could see how 3D gaming could get tiresome with the light flashings.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
evnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

The 3D games speed motion was great but I could see how 3D gaming could get tiresome with the light flashings.

Do you mean the white light for the dlp link ?

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
evnow is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No Crysis has allot of light flashing video. I did have to go to the HD33's menu to enable side by side type 3D for Crysis. The 3D didn't look too bad to me. someone mentioned it's awful. Maybe the basic video at times isn't great but the 3D effect looked good.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamaJama View Post

I've been following this thread from the beginning. Starting getting excited and have some questions, so I had to register.

I've got a dedicated room in my basement for my theater. Total light control, 1.0 gain screen and a NEC LT150z (Hey it was great at the time and the room hasn't been used much in the last 5 years after having a kid.)

I used to only watch movies down there. Now I want to make it more of a multi-purpose room. Movies 2D and 3D, gaming, sports, maybe some normal HDTV. I would like good quality on all types of viewing, but I don't need great. I'd like to throw a 100" to 106" screen. So here are my questions:

- It sounds like given the right conditions the HD33 may provide good, but not great quality for all uses I'm interested in. True?
- Will the 1.0 gain screen be bright enough for 3D in a totally dark room?
- Will the 1.0 gain screen be bright enough for sports? I'd like to watch with some ambient light, but not fully bright.
- Are there different brightness modes that can be calibrated? Wondering if these could function as adequate replacement for ISF Day/Night mode on the 3300.
- Seen some contradictory information, is the 3300 actually brighter? If so, is it enough to make a difference for my sports viewing.

Thanks for the help. I've really enjoyed this thread. Haven't looked at projector tech in 10 years and have gotten a lot of great information. I was about to pull the trigger on the Epson 8350 last week. Didn't think I cared anything about 3D. Then saw Harry Potter on IMax 3D. Amazing.

You'll be fine with the HD33 and it remembers seperate tunings for HDMI 2D and HDMI 3D. It even remembers a seperate tuning for the component signal. It's bright enough at 1.0gain.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Art's first look review is up on Projectorreviews. He says it's a good value (among other things).

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnsmith808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The best 3d effect on the Xbox 360 is Avatar the game. Not the most original game but the 3d is incredible. Crysis is the exact opposite.
johnsmith808 is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Member
 
Searching4Signal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Bluegrass
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I appreciate all of the information on the hd33. I am seriously considering this projector, but here are some concerns I have.

I am going to have to use a ceiling mount setup. I haven't done the math on the Optoma, but on the Sharp XV-Z17000 I was going to have to mount the center of the lens more than 11" above the top of the screen. Unfortunately, that is not possible with my setup becuase I have a couple of lcd's mounted under my screen and can't go any lower. I expect I will have to slightly tilt any projector that I get in order to get it to fit on the screen correctly, even if I use keystoning. If so, what are the major problems I am going to experience? My screen has 2.8 gain.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Searching4Signal is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey Guitarman, now that you have the HD3300 all tuned up, perhaps you can post your settings (for 2D and 3D) for when this thing becomes available. It would be a good place to start. Also, after you have watched a few more 3D movies, can you please report back on the overall 3D performance??

thanks

atabea
atabea is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Everythings been edited into my first post, smarter than the average man.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Gordon Parr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

2" on the shift, 100" the PJ's center lens needs to be 7.8" above. You'll have to use keystone.

Ok...let me give my best attempt to make sure I have this correct...

The top of my screen (not the frame) is at 79". The center of the lens on the HD3300 would need to sit at 86.8"?

If so...I am ready to go as this is where my current PJ sets? Nothing for me to do except run an HDMI cable!!!

Murphy's New Law --
"If it doesn't fit, force it.
If it breaks it was meant to"
Gordon Parr is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes that's right and that's without even using any of the digital shift. Which is good to have available incase your just a little off, you can make up the difference.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4Signal View Post

I appreciate all of the information on the hd33. I am seriously considering this projector, but here are some concerns I have.

I am going to have to use a ceiling mount setup. I haven't done the math on the Optoma, but on the Sharp XV-Z17000 I was going to have to mount the center of the lens more than 11" above the top of the screen. Unfortunately, that is not possible with my setup becuase I have a couple of lcd's mounted under my screen and can't go any lower. I expect I will have to slightly tilt any projector that I get in order to get it to fit on the screen correctly, even if I use keystoning. If so, what are the major problems I am going to experience? My screen has 2.8 gain.

Thanks for any and all advice!

The Optoma has the exact same offset as the Sharp. If you have a 140" diag screen the offset is 11". You still have the digital shift which is 5% of the screen height. On such a large screen that could be closer to 3" movement, less keystone. 2.8 gain is good but if that's the high power screen you won't see that gain at all, you'll see closer to 1.0gain.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
nowknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Orlando
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Art's first look review is up on Projectorreviews. He says it's a good value (among other things).

Dude, welcome to 17 posts ago.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
nowknown is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

The Optoma has the exact same offset as the Sharp. If you have a 140" diag screen the offset is 11". You still have the digital shift which is 5% of the screen height. On such a large screen that could be closer to 3" movement, less keystone. 2.8 gain is good but if that's the high power screen you won't see that gain at all, you'll see closer to 1.0gain.

Guitarman, I am not sure what you mean by not seeing the 2.8 gain on the HP screen. Can you please explain? I have the HP screen and just when I thougt I have the ideal screen for 3D with such a high gain.................

Also, thanks for updating your first post with the settings. Do you have any specific settings for 3D viewing?????
atabea is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
falafala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Everythings been edited into my first post, smarter than the average man.

Thanks Guitarman !

I am little confused...is this for HD33 or HD3300 ?

Also could you please add the settings for best 3D after calibration as well ?
falafala is online now  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnsmith808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Guitarman, I am not sure what you mean by not seeing the 2.8 gain on the HP screen. Can you please explain? I have the HP screen and just when I thougt I have the ideal screen for 3D with such a high gain.................

Also, thanks for updating your first post with the settings. Do you have any specific settings for 3D viewing?????

The key to the high power is you want your head to be as close to the projector as possible. The highest gain will go back to where the light came from, which is the projector.

To maximize the gain from the High Power, you will need to ceiling mount the projector as low as possible AND lower your screen (so that the bottom of the screen is closer to the ground). You could always keep your screen higher and lower your projector, but you will then need to use a lot of keystone, which will degrade the image sharpness ( a little is okay).

Another option is to low table mount it. The only thing I don't like about this is that the light will hit the floor below the screen. Unless your floor is black or close to it, it will be distracting and will wash out the image.

I have a high power and low ceiling mount. The amount of gain is still very good. If I stand up, it does get a little brighter, but not a big deal.

Previously I had projectors that had lens shift which allowed me to mount the projector behind, just inches above eye level. I honestly don't miss that maximum gain as much as I thought I would.
johnsmith808 is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

The key to the high power is you want your head to be as close to the projector as possible. The highest gain will go back to where the light came from, which is the projector.

To maximize the gain from the High Power, you will need to ceiling mount the projector as low as possible AND lower your screen (so that the bottom of the screen is closer to the ground). You could always keep your screen higher and lower your projector, but you will then need to use a lot of keystone, which will degrade the image sharpness ( a little is okay).

Another option is to low table mount it. The only thing I don't like about this is that the light will hit the floor below the screen. Unless your floor is black or close to it, it will be distracting and will wash out the image.

I have a high power and low ceiling mount. The amount of gain is still very good. If I stand up, it does get a little brighter, but not a big deal.

Previously I had projectors that had lens shift which allowed me to mount the projector behind, just inches above eye level. I honestly don't miss that maximum gain as much as I thought I would.

Thanks Johnsmith, I think I get it now.

atabea
atabea is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 151
The newer HP 2.4 gain screen has a slightly increased cone of gain effect. So even though it is less bright at the center point, it maintains the gain off-axis slightly better.

In my experience with a Mits hc4000 which has 17" Offset, I acheived about 1.2 to 1.3 gain on the HP 2.4 gain screen with the projector ceiling mounted.

By floor mounting a DLP projector with offset, you can acheive 1.5 to 1.8 gain with the HP screen, depending where you put it.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is online now  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The newer HP 2.4 gain screen has a slightly increased cone of gain effect. So even though it is less bright at the center point, it maintains the gain off-axis slightly better.

In my experience with a Mits hc4000 which has 17" Offset, I acheived about 1.2 to 1.3 gain on the HP 2.4 gain screen with the projector ceiling mounted.

By floor mounting a DLP projector with offset, you can acheive 1.5 to 1.8 gain with the HP screen, depending where you put it.

Seems like the very purpose of using a HP screen is self-defeating unless the projector is practically mounted on our heads. Since most of the light is reflected back to the projector, one would have to sit very close to the floor or get some really high chairs. There has to be a better solution!!! Is there another high-gain screen where the gain is preserved regardless of where the projector is located?

atabea
atabea is offline  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

Thanks Guitarman !

I am little confused...is this for HD33 or HD3300 ?

Also could you please add the settings for best 3D after calibration as well ?

I'm also a little confused. Is that a picture of the HD3300 in the first post? Thought the HD33 were all white.

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
 

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off