I've been following this thread from the beginning. Starting getting excited and have some questions, so I had to register.
I've got a dedicated room in my basement for my theater. Total light control, 1.0 gain screen and a NEC LT150z
(Hey it was great at the time and the room hasn't been used much in the last 5 years after having a kid.)
I used to only watch movies down there. Now I want to make it more of a multi-purpose room. Movies 2D and 3D, gaming, sports, maybe some normal HDTV. I would like good quality on all types of viewing, but I don't need great. I'd like to throw a 100" to 106" screen. So here are my questions:
- It sounds like given the right conditions the HD33 may provide good, but not great quality for all uses I'm interested in. True?
- Will the 1.0 gain screen be bright enough for 3D in a totally dark room?
- Will the 1.0 gain screen be bright enough for sports? I'd like to watch with some ambient light, but not fully bright.
- Are there different brightness modes that can be calibrated? Wondering if these could function as adequate replacement for ISF Day/Night mode on the 3300.
- Seen some contradictory information, is the 3300 actually brighter? If so, is it enough to make a difference for my sports viewing.
Thanks for the help. I've really enjoyed this thread. Haven't looked at projector tech in 10 years and have gotten a lot of great information. I was about to pull the trigger on the Epson 8350 last week. Didn't think I cared anything about 3D. Then saw Harry Potter on IMax 3D. Amazing.